Corrupt Word file?

Hi All,

I have a Word file that I can open but can't work in. As soon as I try
to make any changes, the multicolored circle starts going around, and
I have to force quit Word. The person who sent me the file doesn't
have a problem with it. I sent the file to a friend who copied all but
the last paragraph mark into a new document, and I still could not
work in the new document. I restarted my computer and ran disk
utilities. I have Word 2004. Does anyone have any ideas to fix the
file?

Thanks!

Kathy
St. Paul, MN
0
Kathy

Hi Kathy:

If copying all but the last paragraph mark into a fresh new document didn't
fix it, then "no" we really can't offer anything more.

That document contains some object or structure that Word 2004 can't handle,
and unless you remove that structure, Word 2004 can't edit the document.

You could try a few things:

1)  You don't say what format the file is in.  Try saving as the other
format (either .doc or .docx)

2)  Try saving the file as a web page, closing it, opening the web page
version, and re-saving as a .doc.  That will remove some objects likely to
be troublesome.

3)  Try saving the file as RTF: again that will remove some problem objects.

Hope this helps

On 22/05/10 6:32 PM, in article
9c6699d2-427b-4915-b24f-37c5b364af5d@o39g2000vbd.googlegroups.com, "Kathy"
<dogmom106@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a Word file that I can open but can't work in. As soon as I try
> to make any changes, the multicolored circle starts going around, and
> I have to force quit Word. The person who sent me the file doesn't
> have a problem with it. I sent the file to a friend who copied all but
> the last paragraph mark into a new document, and I still could not
> work in the new document. I restarted my computer and ran disk
> utilities. I have Word 2004. Does anyone have any ideas to fix the
> file?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kathy
> St. Paul, MN

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Can I make my own picture into a symbol for use in word/excel?
I created some graphics that I want to insert as symbols (half circle, quarter circle, full circle - pie charts). How can I turn into symbols that can be added to the autocorrect feature on word? Insert the picture into a document. Right-click the picture and make sure to specify the Text Wrapping that you want. Select the picture and then display the AutoCorrect dialog box (in Word 2007, click Office button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options). In the "Replace" box, type whatever key combinations should trigger the AutoCorrection. At "With," be ...

Problem with Word table in Excel
Hope someone can help. Here's my problem. I want to easily double the amounts in each row of a column in a Microsoft Word table. I exported the table to Excel, inserted a column (column B) next to the one I wanted to work with, and typed the formula =A1*2. I then copied it to the rest of the cells in the B column. Of course, it worked. All the numbers in the A column were doubled in the corresponding B-column cells. But when I went to copy the doubled B-column numbers into the A column, I got a circular reference error. Problem is that I'm copying the formula, not the actu...

Macro: cmd to open/save files in local dir?
....forgive the stupid question, but I'm still quite new at this: What cmd in a macro can I use to open/save files in the same loca directory as the exisiting open file. Whenever I try an open or save cmd, it requires the full sourc path. The idea behind it, is that I want to make some macros and share the with other colleagues, but as they are logged on as different users the source path is never the same, so I just want them to recognize th immediate folder. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can get the path of the workbook like: dim myPath as string my...

the ribbons in word 2007 is too clutered while in the home tab, a
I LIKE WORD 2007 YET WHEN WORKING IN THE HOME TAB, IT SEEMS TO BE TO CLUTTERED. IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN REMOVE BUTTONS I DON'T USE TO REDUCE THE CLUTTER? http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "ROBERT" <R...

opening old MS Word for Mac documents
I have many Word documents I cannot open on my present OSX.4.11 PowerBook G4 computer. All of them are from November 1992 and before. I can open all later documents. The earlier documents can open in Word or Text edit, but they only show the greeting of the letter or the first few words of the document and then revert to gibberish. Its hard for me to accept that all that historical material is now lost forever. Thanks You could buy MacLink Plus, as it can open older Word formats (all the way down to Word 4). Also, some older Word for Windows application might be able to open them. <h...

Macros Files location in drive C
How can I know where are saved the Excel macro Files into drive C, I miss the Excel macro files when I changed my Drive C. Best regards. Try looking here: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\Personal.xls "Outlook user" wrote: > How can I know where are saved the Excel macro Files into drive C, I miss the > Excel macro files when I changed my Drive C. > > Best regards. ...

Database corruption?
Native mode Ex2003 Standard SP1 on Win2003 in Win2003 Interim Mode domain. Many (but not all) mailboxes are reported through System Manager and through Outlook mailbox properties as being larger than they actually are. Often, a lot larger. In one case, a users Outbox folder was reported as being over 50MB when, in fact, it was empty. It also seems to be the case that for these mailboxes, users can't use Recover Deleted Items. When they select the item and click the recover button, the item disappears from Recover Deleted Items but never appears in the Deleted Items folder. The last symp...

Publisher Open File Location Problem
When one of my users starts Publisher 2003 and clicks Open, the first screen that she sees is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11. She has gone into Tools | Options and onto the General tab as set the File Locations for both Publications and Pictures to the shared S:\ drive, but she continue to get the OFFICE11 folder. Other people using the same PC do not show this behavior. The do see the S:\ drive. Where is the per-user settings file for Publisher 2003? Is it: C:\Documents and Settings\karen\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Publis11.pip Or C:\Documents and Settings\karen\Appl...

OWA 2003 Issue (Attachment corruption) #3
Hello everyone, We have Front-End/Back-End configuration of Exchange 2003 Std. servers (SP2 and all hot fixes after it). So, if someone sends e-mail with attachment through OWA the attachment becomes corrupted (it has same size and name but could not be read by any application / system splits attachment and put 2 parts of it into message using the same name of file). It happens to all documents (Word, Excel, PDF) image files (JPG,GIF,PNG) are affected as well. We tried to send those files through usual MS Outlook 2003 and they go just perfect. We have McAfee Groupshield 6.02 for Exch...

Problems opening and saving Excel 2003 PC file with Excel2004 for Mac
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Received an excel 2003 file created on a PC with macros. When I open the file with excel 2004 for Mac I select enable macros, but some of the features (drop down menus) in the workbook no longer function. I need to update the data in the file and return this to my client (PC User) but I cannot save the file as xls workbook or in any other form for that matter. <br><br>Is this a compatability issue that cannot be resolved or is there a way around these problems I'm experiencing. Thanks. > This me...

Restoring my backup file
I was instructed by a rep at the number I called for warranty repair to perform a system recovery (system restore did not have any previous saves) due to this Blaster worm. At the time, neither I nor the rep I was speaking to know that this was a worm. Now my computer is back to normal (although all of my settings are gone) but I am not able to restore a previous backup of Money (2002 version). The previous files I kept are still under the Program Files\Microsoft Money directory, but when I try to access them, it says: Money cannot locate 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\Filen...

Word Search Puzzles
It's not "exactly" related to Pub, but then again, it's not "How do I make a pdf?" I create one of these each week in my paper. Thirty-nine words related to a specific topic. I have at least 350 of these and I was thinking, as a way to make money, that I should publish a book of them (I use a program that rearranges all the words so they would not be repeats). However, the cost of publishing a book is somewhat stiff, so I came upon the idea of making a pdf file and putting it on a CD. People would have to print the puzzle but there are not that many people w...

How to log changes in pst files for keeping track of what changes occur in pst file in outlook.
Hi, I want to track the changes or events on pst file in outlook. How to log the events like moving a folder, creating a new message, deleting a message, renaming a folder etc. As I want to do replication from a pst file to some other data file. I want to know what are changes happened in pst file, so that I will do only the incremental replication. Does mapi logs these events??? One way I find is I can implement the IMapiAdviseSink interface. In the OnNotify() method of IMapiAdviseSink I can log the event, but if before I logged the event, if outlook crashes.., how can I get the changes in...

Word can not load e-mail envelope
The above error has recently started with Word 2003 when I click the "email" button to send a document as the email body, not as an attachment. Previously this function worked. The "send as an attachment" works. I have found a KB entry, but its solution did not work. I'm using Outlook 2003 as my default email editor. Thanks for any help and suggestions. Jim ...

Stealing File Associations
Hi, I'm writing an application and I want to ensure that all mp3 files are opened by my application, when double clicked from Explorer. The RegisterShellFileTypes function call seems to register/associate file types only when i create a new extension. Existing associations are not overwritten by this function call. As in any PC, mp3 files are always registered to some media player. How can I steal the file association similar to what Winamp does? Is there a direct function call or should I modify registry directly? Thanks, Mugunth "Mugunth" <mugunth.kumar@gmail.com> wrot...

WAV Files
Does any one know how to Graph a WAV file or represent a WAV file numerically. I need to analyze different WAV files. Steve Hi Steve............ I don't know much about it myself, but I did a Google search for "wav file analysis" and got a couple pages of hits.........one talks about a GUI for Wav-file analysis........... http://www.usna.edu/EE/links/ee_links.htm and another, an AudioSeparator......... http://www.google.com/search?q=+%22wav+file+analysis%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c 2coff=1&as_qdr=all&start=10&sa=N and another, a SIGVIEW audio analy...

Message: The File may be read-only, or you may.....
All of a sudden, I could no longer open my excel spreadsheet. I get the message "The File may be read- only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or the server the document is stored on may not be responding" I've checked the attributes and they are all unchecked. All my other files work fine. I'm using Windows XP Prof and Excel 2002. Please Please help. Thanks in advance, Lee This sounds like a network access problem. I am using NT in my office, and I used to see this message quite often (because some glitches in IT revoke my access without any ...

Massive log files
Considering that the SQL log file for the MSCRM database just keeps getting bigger and bigger, dispite all attempts to back it up, truncate it, and shrink it, I think I need to find another way to control the size of the log files. Does anyone know what happens if you UNcheck the option to "automatically grow file" in SQL enterprise manager? Will CRM still work? Or what happens if you delete the log file and recreate it in SQL enterprise manager? Is it possible to do this without corrupting the database? Thanks Simon, You need to perform Log backups on a regular basis. W...

Word VBA FilePrint Function
i want to check printing properties of word with fileprint function however, this function work in some different versions or different languages of word or does not work in some versions is there anyone whoo meet this problem or anyone who solve this before? See response in the programming newsgroup. Please do not post the same question separately to multiple newsgroups. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.c...

Excel 4.0 Macro help files for Excel 2002 do not work
Either from within Excel, or double clicking on the XLMACRO.CHM file from within Windows Explorer, I always get the same screen: Download the updated help screens. I DID THAT, AND IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT? Have I got the wrong files, or is some switch set wrong somewhere? I've downloaded, installed and added the excel 4.0 macro help functions that are necessary, and into the correct directory. It's located with all the other help files. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033) I've downloaded from 2 update files, and neither makes a diffe...

Logical Expression as just a word?
I am trying to set the default value of a text box to say "Passenger and Cargo", but it is reading the "and" as a logical expression. I assume. It gives me a "-1" value when I view the form. How can I make it read "and" as just a word? On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 06:34:01 -0700, DunnRight <DunnRight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Put double-quotes around the entire value. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I am trying to set the default value of a text box to say "Passenger and >Cargo", but it is reading the "and&q...

Corrupt
Is there a way to check to see if you have a corrupted excel workbook. I have one 2.5 MB and all of a sudden it takes a very long time to save. Also when I copy information from it to another it some times reformattes the whole workbook to HTML style. Is it " run MS office Diagnostics in the excell option? Or is there something else that will locate a promblem. Thanks. Dpal ...

Fonts being corrupted
Situation: Restart computer and open Word, Excel, Power Point - no problems. Quit MS Stuff - all office 2004 Open Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Go back and open Word, Excel, Power Point - at the optimizing font part of the startup, it pops up a dialog box something about corrupted fonts. Several fonts are said to be corrupted. Restart and all works fine. Run updates from MS website - 11.1.0 Dumped prefs in ~/library/prefs/microsoft Restarting fixes the font problems and it works fine until we opening Adobe stuff. Brian ...

Cannot open exe files
I'm not sure what I did wrong, but whenever I try to run exe files, an 'Open With' box pops up. I don't think i have a virus though I'm not sure. I've also tried merging the reg file, but no luck. Any ideas? -- 145141 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 145141's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/180981.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1298544.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Publisher file won't open!
Help! I just spent 4 hours creating a document in Publisher 2003. I had been "saving" the file periodically throughout the morning, while I was working on it. The instant I closed Publisher and tried to reopen the file, it failed to open the file. Each time I try to open the file, it comes back with a "Send error report to Microsoft..." I tried to delete temp files; installed all service packs for Office, etc. I even tried to open the file with other applications like Word, Powerpoint, etc. I sent the file to a friend, they couldn't open it either. I have NEVER h...