Convert all form fields to text.

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

How to I convert a form field in a document into the text that has been entered into the field?  I want to be able to convert a document that contains fields into a document that looks the same but that does not contain any fields.  I could do this in Word 2003, but do not know how to do it in Word 2008.
0
Mike_Moroney

Command+A to Select All, then
Shift+Command+F9 to Unlink the fields.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/22/10 11:10 PM, in article 59bb7545.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mike_Moroney@officeformac.com" <Mike_Moroney@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel How
> to I convert a form field in a document into the text that has been entered
> into the field?  I want to be able to convert a document that contains fields
> into a document that looks the same but that does not contain any fields.  I
> could do this in Word 2003, but do not know how to do it in Word 2008.

0
CyberTaz
4/23/2010 11:11:49 AM
Sorry, that doesn't seem to work... maybe my version of Word uses a different code - wonder why thee isn't a simple menu choice somewhere...
0
Mike_Moroney
4/24/2010 8:58:42 AM
No, there is no "different code" for various versions of Word -- besides,
I'm using the same version. The keystroke executes the same command that
would be in a menu, but the command isn't in a menu by default because it
isn't something the overwhelming majority of users need to use with any
degree of regularity. For those who routinely need it menus can be
customized to include it & a button can be added to a toolbar. If *every*
command the program has to offer were added to the menus you'd never be able
to find the one you need.

It works as advertised here, so if it isn't working for you there must be a
specific reason. Unfortunately, "doesn't seem to work" provides no clue
whatsoever. Have you unlocked the Form (either Tools> Unprotect Document or
click the Lock icon on the Forms Toolbar).

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/24/10 4:58 AM, in article 59bb7545.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Mike_Moroney@officeformac.com" <Mike_Moroney@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Sorry, that doesn't seem to work... maybe my version of Word uses a different
> code - wonder why thee isn't a simple menu choice somewhere...

0
CyberTaz
4/24/2010 1:29:31 PM
On Apr 24, 9:29=A0am, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> No, there is no "different code" for various versions of Word -- besides,
> I'm using the same version. The keystroke executes the same command that
> would be in a menu, but the command isn't in a menu by default because it
> isn't something the overwhelming majority of users need to use with any
> degree of regularity. For those who routinely need it menus can be
> customized to include it & a button can be added to a toolbar. If *every*
> command the program has to offer were added to the menus you'd never be a=
ble
> to find the one you need.
>
> It works as advertised here, so if it isn't working for you there must be=
> specific reason. Unfortunately, "doesn't seem to work" provides no clue
> whatsoever. Have you unlocked the Form (either Tools> Unprotect Document =
or
> click the Lock icon on the Forms Toolbar).
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> On 4/24/10 4:58 AM, in article 59bb754...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>
> "Mike_Moro...@officeformac.com" <Mike_Moro...@officeformac.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, that doesn't seem to work... maybe my version of Word uses a dif=
ferent
> > code - wonder why thee isn't a simple menu choice somewhere...

The version of Word 2008 for Mac is 12.2.4 (100205).  The document is
a docx file and the form is unlocked.  It was unlocked (of course)
using the icon on the Forms toolbar.  Perhaps part of the problem is
that form fields are themselves inside nested tables.  The main thing
that my form users want to be able to do easily is edit text form
field values - as easily as they can in a regular Word document.
Perhaps the problem is to do with the use of tables?
0
Mike
4/25/2010 2:16:19 AM
Sorry Mike, but now you're losing me... The content in form fields should be
fully revisable in a Protected form without having to Unlink the fields in
exactly the same way the fields are completed any other time. The fact that
the fields are in nested tables should make no difference either -- except
that nested tables are notorious for their tendency to corrupt. There must
be more missing pieces to this puzzle than what you've disclosed so far, or
maybe I'm just too obtuse to understand exactly what you want to do.

Perhaps it would be best to go back to square one here:

Exactly what type of fields are we talking about? With Protection Off, type
Option+F9 to toggle display of the field codes & let me know what you have.

What version of Word was used to create the Form? What -- specifically, step
by step -- is it that you *could* do in 2003 that you can't do in 2008?
Please provide as much clear & accurate detail as you can.

Also, regardless of personal preferences re top/bottom posting, please
maintain the established pattern in an existing thread. It's tough having to
bounce up & down trying to follow the progress of the conversation. Thanks.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/24/10 10:16 PM, in article
684406fb-b23b-4fe8-8277-9535be2fab42@k5g2000prg.googlegroups.com, "Mike"
<mikeubd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 9:29´┐Żam, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>> No, there is no "different code" for various versions of Word -- besides,
>> I'm using the same version. The keystroke executes the same command that
>> would be in a menu, but the command isn't in a menu by default because it
>> isn't something the overwhelming majority of users need to use with any
>> degree of regularity. For those who routinely need it menus can be
>> customized to include it & a button can be added to a toolbar. If *every*
>> command the program has to offer were added to the menus you'd never be able
>> to find the one you need.
>>
>> It works as advertised here, so if it isn't working for you there must be a
>> specific reason. Unfortunately, "doesn't seem to work" provides no clue
>> whatsoever. Have you unlocked the Form (either Tools> Unprotect Document or
>> click the Lock icon on the Forms Toolbar).
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>
>> On 4/24/10 4:58 AM, in article 59bb754...@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>>
>> "Mike_Moro...@officeformac.com" <Mike_Moro...@officeformac.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, that doesn't seem to work... maybe my version of Word uses a
>>> different
>>> code - wonder why thee isn't a simple menu choice somewhere...
>
> The version of Word 2008 for Mac is 12.2.4 (100205).  The document is
> a docx file and the form is unlocked.  It was unlocked (of course)
> using the icon on the Forms toolbar.  Perhaps part of the problem is
> that form fields are themselves inside nested tables.  The main thing
> that my form users want to be able to do easily is edit text form
> field values - as easily as they can in a regular Word document.
> Perhaps the problem is to do with the use of tables?

0
CyberTaz

largest value of field in query output
I have a query that pulls all the records from a table. For example, the query outputs the following: TITLE REV POSITION DATE methodA / 0 / tech / july 5 methodA / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 0 / tech / july 5 methodB / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 2 / tech / july 12 methodC / 0 / tech / july 6 methodC / 1 / ...

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

form customization 10-17-03
Hi; I have customized a totally new form for creating accounts and saved it, but now when I want to create new accounts the old form shows up and don't know how to access the new form! do you know what the problem could be? thanks, Farshad you need to publish your changes, goto Deployment Manager, and run "Publish" on the object you changed (ie accounts, leads, opportunity, etc). then restart IIS -Gary "farshad" <farshad@seancesoft.com> wrote in message news:037d01c394f8$3fd611e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi; > > I have customized a totally new form ...

Simple question : how to make a toolbar button on case form to dis
Hi, How to make a toolbar button on case form to display the list view of a custom entity? My main problem is where should I look to get the correct url? Many thanks! You can use a tool called Fiddler to capture the URL. But if you want to find the URL for the specific record, open up the record and hit Ctrl + N to open a new browser. You can see the URL that way. Darren Liu Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Sep 13, 8:24 am, m1sterd <m1st...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > How to make a toolbar button on case form to display the list view of a > custom entit...

Concatenating date field into text ands using in a formula
Hi all, Hope you can help. I have a date field (B1) and am trying to concatenate this into a directory path as part of a formula to pull data from another worksheet. IE My worksheets are named open"date of report".xls B1 contains "date of report" I have tried concatenating the worksheet name in a field and then using that field. I have tried cocatenating the directory path in a field and using that field. My last attempt at a formula is =SUM(IF('=concatenate("D:\CSA\Reporting\Open Jobs\[open"&TEXT(B1,"ddmmyy")&".xls]Customer")...

User Form
Help Can someone help. I want to be able to click a cell look up the data in the cell and display the lookup results taken from another worksheet in a user form. The results will contain more than one record as i,m looking up orders and there my be more than one for that part. Also there will be more than one collumb on the form eg Part number order number etc. Hope someone can help, the user who will be using this will not use access otherwise this would be easy. Thanks ...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Details section not appearing when viewed in Form View
So I have this data entry form with controls linked to a number of tables. I built it today, and up til recently worked fine. Now, I'm having a problem where all the controls in the Details section (when in Design View) fail to appear when viewed in Form View. My Header info appears, just not the Detail section. I didn't consciously change anything that would make a section not-visible. Any tips? Thanks! Hi Markmarko This will happen in Access if there is no data to show in the form. The way to check for this is to open the query the form is based on. If the query returns n...

creating custom fields for contacts
I want to create custom fields in the 'details' section of contacts. I was able to create a new section but when select the 'Add Fields' I can only choose from the fields created by Microsoft. Ideally I would like to be able to create a custom field and determine if it needed a pull-down or user entry or user selected (like a simple yes/no) Is this possible? Thanks Rob Jayson Hi Rob, It is very easy to create custom fields and include them in existing forms. You can create new fields or attributes as they are called, by clicking on Settings->Customization-> ...

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Unintended field "expression 1006" in the query grids
Hello, When I open my query, there is an unintended field "Expr 1006". I do not know why is this automatically created. Anyone tells me, why this happened. -- H. Frank Situmorang Hi Frank this usually means that you put the same field into the query twice. Jeanette Cunningham "Frank Situmorang" <hfsitumo2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2CF86F30-0E4D-499B-9FE0-D62BF450BC57@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > When I open my query, there is an unintended field "Expr 1006". I do not > know why is this automatically created. Anyone tells me, w...

Can I use the value of a field as predeterminate value of another.
I am making a table to know who is working in each surgery in a heath center. For each day, I have a field "owner" (of the surgery) and another "working" (the one that really works that day there). But the majority of the days, the "owner" is who works in his surgery, so I want to establish the value of "owner" as predeterminate value of "working" . Is it possible? Thank you Not directly in the tables. You could do this in a form by making the value of one text box the default value of another text box. -- --Roger Carlson MS Access M...

Convert Access97 to 2000

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Memo Fields
I'm trying to collect data for a multiple record update and place it into a memo field. The application steps through a record set compiling the data to a text box on a form while not eor Me![Text1] = Me![Text1] & ", " & Me![RecordData] Wend This works fine. When I look at Me![Text1] after the While loop all the data is correct. I then place this filed into a table using a simple append query, but when I look in the table the information is truncated with many non-alpha charaters at the end. Any thoughts? On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:54:01 -0800, Justin <Justin...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...