Characters

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters?
0
rjdjmj

Unicode 263A, UTF-8 E2 98 BA, in Character Viewer under "Miscellaneous
Symbols" or search for the name "smile".

Word will autocorrect :-) to a smiley face unless you specifically remove
that Autocorrect entry.  Look up Autocorrect in the Word help for more.

Cheers

On 23/02/10 10:18 AM, in article 59bb3518.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"rjdjmj@officeformac.com" <rjdjmj@officeformac.com> wrote:

> All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my
> document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a
> snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to
> choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters?

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
2/24/2010 1:10:50 AM
Easiest method in a Word document: It's a built-in AutoCorrect item so just
type colon/dash/rt paren  :-)  it will automatically become a smiley. There
also are others � Have a look in Tools> AutoCorrect.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/23/10 10:18 AM, in article 59bb3518.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"rjdjmj@officeformac.com" <rjdjmj@officeformac.com> wrote:

> All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my
> document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a
> snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to
> choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters?

0
CyberTaz

#### being printed instead of characters
I have a text cell that when it prints the cell prints out as all ######. I have tried to expand to cell but still get only the characters #. Is there a limit on the number of characters that will fit into a cell? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ From the XL2000 Help file, "Worksheet and workbook specifications": Length of cell contents (text) - 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. HTH Ed "mconville" <mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-...

delete all characters after an character
Hi I have a spread sheet where I have a colum with pack size ex: 10/20'. I would like to remove all character after the slash (/). I cannot use any of amount of character beacause it's not always the same format but the slash is always there. Remember I have over 10000 lines. Thank any help will be appreciated. try this. Also removes the / Sub findslash() For Each c In Selection x = InStr(c, "/") - 1 MsgBox Left(c, x) Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jean-Francois Boucher" <Jean-Francois Boucher@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

extracting sheets on the basis of Row character
Hi, I have the below data...i have only shown the st column but i have the data in 15 coulmns. Like this i have 20 sheets... and i need a separate sheets for the name that are contained in column A ie separate sheet for "Mark" where it will extract the data from 20 sheets where there is row with name mark... Name Mark Steve Mark Gary Mark Gary Steve Regards, radha If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line ...

Odd Characters showing up in e-mails sent to contacts
When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd characters show up in the e-mails. The characters usually look like this “, this ” or this †Any ideas on how to prevent this? Sometimes this occurs if you compose the email in another application and paste it into a CRM email template or email form. Try re-typing the email directly in the CRM template or form. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Steve Bambauer" wrote: > When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd > ch...

Strange Character
I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file. The character appears as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a manual page break that I can find, edit and replace. So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and replace on it? If you need more information, please let me know. Thanks, Bernie Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny characters. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm If you have to do this lots of times, I'd recor...

Issue skiping characters by Regular Expressions searching Word
When using Regular Expression search using VBA script in Excel to search Word document, "-" character in the word document gets skiped (substituted with "" empty character). Here is the string in Word: <DE4.0><SWR4.4.l‑CE6:A> Here is the snipet of VBA code used: With Selector.Find .text = "\<DE?*^13" .Replacement.text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindzz .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWild...

Special Characters
I do any programming by recording macros and then trying to adapt them to fit my situation. I frequently run into unexplored territory. I need to know where to find how to use ampersands, periods, quotes, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. -- BillR I don't think there is a specific answer for this. Just trial and error, school of hard knocks, lots and lots of practice, etc. You can read books, and read through posts here. Read as many posts as you have time for. Try to answer some questions too!! You may be surprised about how much you learn!!!! ...

pi character
Hi, I am trying to create a string which includes the pi symbol using: str.Format(_T("%s%c"),_T("-"),(TCHAR)0x03C0); When I use TextOut to place the string on a graph I get an A with a squiggly above it. I am using VC++ 6. Any help will be appreciated thanks bill Do you have a Unicode application? If not, 0x03C0 is not interpreted as the Greek and Coptic Code page (based on ISO-8859-7), as the character C0 (the 03 is discarded as meaningless). You could have written this without the Format operation and it would be as meaningful. Compile with _UNICODE and UNICODE...

Randomize character positions in string
Dear all, I want to randomize character positions in string. Example : jhonny --> onyhjn freddy --> dfyerd Please help. Thanks. Chlaris On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:51:27 +0700, "Chlaris" <chlarrissa_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: What are you REALLY trying to accomplish? -Tom. >Dear all, > >I want to randomize character positions in string. > >Example : > >jhonny --> onyhjn >freddy --> dfyerd > >Please help. Thanks. > >Chlaris > I have employee name field. I want create a module to change the character position in employee n...

Characters
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters? Unicode 263A, UTF-8 E2 98 BA, in Character Viewer under "Miscellaneous Symbols" or search for the name "smile". Word will autocorrect :-) to a smiley face unless you specifically remove that Autocorrect entry. Loo...

Selecting cells containing spcific character(s)
Hello, I need to know how to get Excel to select all cells within a specific column that contain a specific character. In this instance, I need to select all the cells which contain a comma... And even better would be if I could get Excel to not just select all the cells in a specific column containing a comma, but each of the rows in which those cells reside. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me. Thanks. -- ianwitt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ianwitt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3...

Random number of characters either side of Literal Characters
I wish to create an input mask that will allow a random number of characters before and after or between mandatory characters Example 1. To force the use of XoX followed by 1 or more characters should allow: XoXa XoXbcde XoX5qr7 XXL have fun today Example 2. To force the use of 1 or more characters before XoX should allow: 3XoX asdf4XoX 37 abc XoX Example 3. To force the use of 1 or more characters between YYY and HHH should allow: YYY7589HHH YYYabcd 123 HHH YYY between HHH Example 3. To force the use of 1 or more characters before after and between YYY and HHH shou...

characters ignored in search of inbox
when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the symbols are just ignored. For instance, i put in a search for "#members" and it found matches for just "members". How can i make outlook obey the exact characters that i put into the search box (even if they are not letters). Thanks, tom TomCon <someone@verizon.net> wrote: > when i search my inbox, if i mix some symbols with characters, the > symbols are just ignored. For instance, i put in a search for > "#members" and it found matches for just "members". How ca...

Setting a Default Character Set
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap In Entourage I recieve a lot of emails that have fractions in them from PC users. To be able to view these I have to goto Format > Character Set > Western European(Windows) for each of these messages for them to diplay correctly. Is there a way to have the default character set, set to Western European(Windows)? On 12/15/09 4:18 PM, in article 59baf1fa.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "boojiboy1000@officeformac.com" <boojiboy1000@officeformac.com> wrote: > Is there...

Extracting a character from a string of characters
I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example of a string of characters e.g.B123456789. Have a look in HELP index for MID -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73FB02F4-EDA0-4819-9280-3F74F4163B4E@microsoft.com... > I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example > of a string of characters e.g.B123456789. > > If its always the 6th character use MID i.e. if B123456789 was in cell A1 =MID(a1,6,1) -- ______________________...

Remove a particular character using formulas
I have excel 2000 and i have having a problem I have a list of roughlt 5000 items that all have "-" in random places I want to remove these dashes using a formula... not find replace. Any luck. Example: I have "---105--22" I want "10522" Thanks in advance for the help -- msetyon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ msetyon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29277 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489953 =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""...

French Characters
Is there an easy way to put french characters into a publisher 2007 document without changing your overal languager settings? Sir Bill wrote: > Is there an easy way to put french characters into a publisher 2007 document > without changing your overal languager settings? Insert > Symbol Or add a French keyboard layout (which you can switch to and from easily using the Language Bar). Or learn the Alt+ key combinations (listed in Character Map, in the Start menu under Accessories) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Making Characters from Character Viewer More Easily Available
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm writing a manual where I need to often use both the Place of Interest Sign that denotes the Command key, as well as the Upwards White Arrow that typically means the Shift key, and I'm getting those from the Character Viewer, thanks to information from this forum. I'm wondering, however, if there is a way to make those characters available more readily, so that I might insert them with specially designated keystroke combinations, as you can with the symbols in Word? I'm using them enough now...

Replied e-mails in Chinese characters
Hi there, here is my problem. I am working with a user who gets an email message full of chinese characters when someone outside the corporation replies to her emails. Any ideas? ...

How to get all characters to the left of another character
Let's say I have a cell (A1) with 12345:67890 If I want to get everythingto the left of the : I could do =Left(A1,5) That's wored fine until now. Some of my data comes to me like this: 012345:67890 or 00012345:6789000000 How can I get everything to the left of the : ???? "Sherry" <nowhere@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:O5XfQKlxDHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Let's say I have a cell (A1) with 12345:67890 > If I want to get everythingto the left of the : I could do =Left(A1,5) > That's wored fine until now. Some of my data comes to me like ...

Ignoring characters in excel sheets when creating a chart
I have a table of data in which every cell has the suffix "mm" in it. How can I create a chart with this data and get excel to ignore the letters. I thought it would do it automatically but it doesnt seem to work. Any ideas gratefully recieved!!! Thanks in advance Steve I'd create another column for the values with MM in them. I'm assuming that mm is at the end of each with this example. =MID(A1,1,LEN(A1)-2) This will have an error if the length is 2 or less or MM is not the last two characters. "smintey" <smintey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Excel: Remove characters from cells using wildcards
Can you anyone help me with this problem please? I have a column of data like the one below and I would like to remove the the front part, (x) from the cell, but I don't want to remove the parts in bracket that come later in the cell, for example (Queensland). I tried using Replace (**), and it did remove the first set of brackets and its contents but unfortunately it also removed the second set of brackets and its contents. If it helps in the first set of bracket, (x), x is always a number . While in the second set always contains a word. Before: (1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 New...

International character
Does anybony know how to write the spanish character ñ in outlook express. Perhaps a possible keyboard shortcut I hope URL below might help you. (see middle of page) Working with Foreign Characters on the Computer http://www.usna.edu/LangStudy/international_keyboards.html "jaesto" <jaesto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07DC6C70-37D9-4225-8270-2AF2CB0FEAF7@microsoft.com... > Does anybony know how to write the spanish character � in outlook express. > Perhaps a possible keyboard shortcut ...

German characters appers garbeled when viewing Excel file in Internet Explorer
Hi I have an excel file on my web server that include German charachters. If I download the file to my local HD (press 'save' on the explorer dialog box) and then open it with Excel - it looks fine. However - if I select the 'open' option in Explorer and open the file directly (within the broweser) - the german characters look garbled. Can anyone help ? Thanks Alon. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...