Capitalisation in Find and Replace operations

Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when
doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason
or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the
word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original
word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly,
if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test",
even if you want it to replace it with "test". Does anyone know why Word
applies this capitalisation to words it replaces, and is there any way of
getting it to replace a word with the capitalisation you want, in this case
an all lower-case "test" (even if the original word has capitals)? I am using
Word 2008 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. Thanks!

By design :-)  Word matches the existing capitalisation, unless you override
that.

If you click "Match Case" in your Find constraints, it will then replace
with the case you specify.

Click the unlabelled blue arrow to reveal the full properties of the Find
and replace function.

Cheers

On 4/06/10 4:58 PM, in article
C03FA446-BE1B-4586-B156-4565FE98B1DB@microsoft.com, "arko02"
<arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when
> doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason
> or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the
> word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original
> word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly,
> if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test",
> even if you want it to replace it with "test". Does anyone know why Word
> applies this capitalisation to words it replaces, and is there any way of
> getting it to replace a word with the capitalisation you want, in this case
> an all lower-case "test" (even if the original word has capitals)? I am using
> Word 2008 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. Thanks!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/4/2010 10:11:24 AM
It isn't 'broken' :-) By design, the default of the feature makes
replacements using the same case structure as what is already used in the
document. IOW, it swaps the strings without regard for - and without
tampering with - formatting.

If you want to impose case sensitivity or change any other settings click
the dialog expander button in the lower left corner of the F&R dialog -
You're specifically looking for the 'Match Case' checkbox. For details see
Word Help on the topic: Find and replace text

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/4/10 2:58 AM, in article
C03FA446-BE1B-4586-B156-4565FE98B1DB@microsoft.com, "arko02"
<arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when
> doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason
> or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the
> word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original
> word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly,
> if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test",
> even if you want it to replace it with "test". Does anyone know why Word
> applies this capitalisation to words it replaces, and is there any way of
> getting it to replace a word with the capitalisation you want, in this case
> an all lower-case "test" (even if the original word has capitals)? I am using
> Word 2008 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. Thanks!

1
CyberTaz
6/4/2010 10:30:36 AM
Hi John and Bob,

Thanks for your replies... The thing is, I've tried what you both suggested,
but the "match case" option only seems to affect the Find field, not the
Replace field, so for instance, if I've typed "FOO", and then in the Find and
Replace dialog box ask it to replace "foo" with "test" with the "match case"
checkbox ticked, it will say it can't find the word "foo" and therefore can't
replace anything. I just can't get the "match case" checkbox to affect the
Replace field. Do you guys have any ideas on any possible ways around this?
BTW, I just booted into Windows on my Mac, and tried the same thing in both
Word 2003 (for Windows) and a trial version of Word 2007, and the same thing
happened. Many thanks for your help!

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> It isn't 'broken' :-) By design, the default of the feature makes
> replacements using the same case structure as what is already used in the
> document. IOW, it swaps the strings without regard for - and without
> tampering with - formatting.
>
> If you want to impose case sensitivity or change any other settings click
> the dialog expander button in the lower left corner of the F&R dialog -
> You're specifically looking for the 'Match Case' checkbox. For details see
> Word Help on the topic: Find and replace text
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 6/4/10 2:58 AM, in article
> C03FA446-BE1B-4586-B156-4565FE98B1DB@microsoft.com, "arko02"
> <arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when
> > doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason
> > or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the
> > word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original
> > word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly,
> > if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test",
> > even if you want it to replace it with "test". Does anyone know why Word
> > applies this capitalisation to words it replaces, and is there any way of
> > getting it to replace a word with the capitalisation you want, in this case
> > an all lower-case "test" (even if the original word has capitals)? I am using
> > Word 2008 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. Thanks!
>
> .

In article <C03FA446-BE1B-4586-B156-4565FE98B1DB@microsoft.com>,
arko02  <arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when
>doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason
>or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the
>word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original
>word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly,
>if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test",
>even if you want it to replace it with "test". Does anyone know why Word
>applies this capitalisation to words it replaces

Word is just trying to be helpful by retaining the capitalization that
you already have, rather than arbitrarily changing it!

> is there any way of
>getting it to replace a word with the capitalisation you want, in this case
>an all lower-case "test" (even if the original word has capitals)?

Sure, just check the "Match case" box in your Find and Replace window.
Then Word will put in the new word exactly as you have capitalized it.

(Note also that it will only *find* words that are capitalized exactly
as you've indicated, so if you need to change both "TEST" and "Test"
to "test," you'll have to do two passes. Unless someone else here knows
of a shortcut.)

BTW, if you aren't seeing the "Match case" checkbox and the other
options in the Find and Replace window, click on the arrow in the
little blue square.

Patty

0
Patty
6/4/2010 2:56:31 PM
In article <887EC30C-9F25-466D-9E5E-0B45D39F42B7@microsoft.com>,
arko02  <arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your replies... The thing is, I've tried what you both suggested,
>but the "match case" option only seems to affect the Find field, not the
>Replace field, so for instance, if I've typed "FOO", and then in the Find and
>Replace dialog box ask it to replace "foo" with "test" with the "match case"
>checkbox ticked, it will say it can't find the word "foo" and therefore can't
>replace anything.

That's because you're asking it to find "foo," but only "FOO" exists
in the document. So of course it says that it can't find "foo." If
you ask it to find "FOO" and replace that with "test," it will work.

Patty

0
Patty
6/4/2010 3:06:49 PM
Don't feel bad: it took me a while to work this out also... :-)

If text in the case you are searching for does not exist in the document,
then no replacement will be made.  Which again, is correct.

If you Find FOO and replace with Foo, you will indeed get Foo.  If you find
foo and replace with Foo, again you will get Foo.

It works: you just have to think about it.  In my case, for quite a long
time :-)

Cheers

On 4/06/10 11:18 PM, in article
887EC30C-9F25-466D-9E5E-0B45D39F42B7@microsoft.com, "arko02"
<arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi John and Bob,
>
> Thanks for your replies... The thing is, I've tried what you both suggested,
> but the "match case" option only seems to affect the Find field, not the
> Replace field, so for instance, if I've typed "FOO", and then in the Find and
> Replace dialog box ask it to replace "foo" with "test" with the "match case"
> checkbox ticked, it will say it can't find the word "foo" and therefore can't
> replace anything. I just can't get the "match case" checkbox to affect the
> Replace field. Do you guys have any ideas on any possible ways around this?
> BTW, I just booted into Windows on my Mac, and tried the same thing in both
> Word 2003 (for Windows) and a trial version of Word 2007, and the same thing
> happened. Many thanks for your help!
>
> "CyberTaz" wrote:
>
>> It isn't 'broken' :-) By design, the default of the feature makes
>> replacements using the same case structure as what is already used in the
>> document. IOW, it swaps the strings without regard for - and without
>> tampering with - formatting.
>>
>> If you want to impose case sensitivity or change any other settings click
>> the dialog expander button in the lower left corner of the F&R dialog -
>> You're specifically looking for the 'Match Case' checkbox. For details see
>> Word Help on the topic: Find and replace text
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 6/4/10 2:58 AM, in article
>> C03FA446-BE1B-4586-B156-4565FE98B1DB@microsoft.com, "arko02"
>> <arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when
>>> doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason
>>> or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the
>>> word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original
>>> word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly,
>>> if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test",
>>> even if you want it to replace it with "test". Does anyone know why Word
>>> applies this capitalisation to words it replaces, and is there any way of
>>> getting it to replace a word with the capitalisation you want, in this case
>>> an all lower-case "test" (even if the original word has capitals)? I am
>>> using
>>> Word 2008 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. Thanks!
>>
>> .

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/4/2010 10:15:43 PM
Thanks very much John and Patty for your replies, thanks to your answers I
have finally worked it out! I think what I wasn't understanding before was
that, if you check the "match case" checkbox, not only will it only replace
with the capitalisation you've indicated, it will also only find with the
capitalisation you've indicated... once I understood this, it works
perfectly! Many thanks again John, Patty and Bob for your help,

arko02

In article <AD1919C7-FBF8-4823-9D9D-7337C709B201@microsoft.com>,
arko02  <arko02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Thanks very much John and Patty for your replies, thanks to your answers I
>have finally worked it out! I think what I wasn't understanding before was
>that, if you check the "match case" checkbox, not only will it only replace
>with the capitalisation you've indicated, it will also only find with the
>capitalisation you've indicated... once I understood this, it works
>perfectly!

Great! Yes, you understand the concept perfectly now. It's very useful
to have that level of control--once you get the hang of it!

Patty

0
Patty
6/5/2010 2:39:00 AM
Thanks Patty!

> Great! Yes, you understand the concept perfectly now. It's very useful
> to have that level of control--once you get the hang of it!
>

> Patty
>
> .

Can I stop Publisher capitalising the first word of a line
I want to choose whether the first letter of the first word in a line is capitalised, it can be done in Word, can it in Publisher Tools, auto-correct, clear Capitalize the first letter of sentences. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "cliveroberts" <cliveroberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:177D5266-5ADD-47EF-A67F-63DB974283DD@microsoft.com... >I want to choose whether the first letter of the first word in a line is > capitalised, it can be done in Word, can it in Publisher ...

Finding formulas
Do you have a formula or something that I can use in conditional format to tell if a cell contains a formula. >-----Original Message----- >Do you have a formula or something that I can use in >conditional format to tell if a cell contains a formula. >. You could use this macro Sub test() Selection.SpecialCells(xlFormulas).Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 6 .Pattern = xlSolid End With Range("A1").Activate End Sub Peter Atherton Copy/paste this UDF to a general module in your workbook. Function IsFormula(cell) Application.Vol...

how do i put formula to find difference between two dates
Re: how do i put formula to find difference between two dates Put in C1: =B1-A1 where A1 contains the start date, say: 01-May-2005 B1contains the end date, say: 10-May-2005 For the sample dates in A1 and B1, C1 will return: 9 --- Pl post your question within the message area in future. The "Subject" line is meant only for some key words/descripts, not to house your *entire* post -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "A.D" <A.D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A8ACB02-0724-4A0B-BB...

where can I find a door hanger flyer template
I am a mortgage broker who wants to market appartment complexes and I stumbled accross a template a few weeks ago for door hangers and now I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I appreciate any feedback. HP has several on their site but they are .pdfs. That won't help you unless you have Acrobat, not just the reader. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25F44A6D-B3E3-46F5-9B2B-BECC9A7C5BB4@microsoft.com... >I am a mortgage broker who wants to market appartment co...

97: How can I find duplicate entries in a column?
Hello and thanks in advance for any help. This is a very basic question from an even more basic user. I have a spread sheet with a long list of ID numbers for skips. Sometimes duplicate numbers arise from paper work from elsewhere and I get a false total of skips in hand. How can I organise that column to highlight a duplicate entry please? Shen --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Insert a helper column: =COUNTIF(A1:A9999,A1) (adjust the range to suit.) then the formulas that evaluate to more than 1 will be duplicated. Chip Pearson has some other techniques at: http://ww...

How to find reports
Hi to all... I'm new to GP as well to business processes. I modified the report "SOP Blank Invoice Form" and want to know how can I see this report. I know how to access reports, but don't know under which "Sales Report" I can see this specific report. Thanks in advance. -nat Well, when you print sales invoices, select the Blank Invoice Form. "aistorres@hotmail.com" wrote: > Hi to all... I'm new to GP as well to business processes. I modified > the report "SOP Blank Invoice Form" and want to know how can I see this > report....

Unable to find complete headers in Outlook 2002
I get quite a bit of spam and I want to be able to forward the spam to their ISP. But I connot find the complete headers for the message in outlook 2002 Can you please help me? Either open the message and click View | Options, or right-click the message in the Inbox and select Options. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Sandra Gordon" <sandyg2@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:060601c35318$f86fe8b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I ...

automatic replacing of vbe code for multiple workbooks
hi all a got a workbook called.. Replacer, it contains this macro: Sub rep() On Error Resume Next Dim Wb As Workbook For Each Wb In Workbooks If Left(Wb.Name, 6) = "MI.F@S" Then Wb.Sheets("sheet1").Range("P2").Value = "-1" End If Next Wb End Sub now.. for each workbook in open workbooks whose name begins with "abc", i need to replace or cancel a line or a piece of vbe .. maybe this one: If (Weekday(Now(), vbMonday)) Then aWS.Range("V104").Value = aWS.Range("V104").Value * 2 End If can anyb...

cannot do a differential backup "can't find store or acc denied"
I am using the same account that i used to install exchange. I can make a full backup but not a differential. the user is in schema admins enterprise admins domain admins exchange enterprise servers Ideas? "james" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using the same account that i used to install >exchange. I can make a full backup but not a differential. >the user is in >schema admins >enterprise admins >domain admins >exchange enterprise servers > >Ideas? What else works? Incremental? If you're not using NTBACKUP, have you ...

Finding linked cells to other workbooks
I have some workbooks that ask me if I wish to update links and I can't find the links in the workbook. Some of my worksheets I did a copy and paste special values, but there are a few worksheets that I can't do this on. I need to be able to find the linked cell and eliminate it so that the pesky message to update links doesn't appear when the workbook is opened. I'm sure there should be a simple solution to this, I just don't know what it is? Thanks for any help. When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/...

How do I find a file/spreadsheet that Excel says is Already open but I can't find it?
I was working on a spreadsheet that I use almost daily -- "Account IB". I inadvertently left clicked my mouse -- was unaware where the cursor was at the time. But the result was that the spreadsheet disappeared off my screen. I tried to re-open it, thinking I had inadvertently closed it, but got the message that it was already open. Yet the only window visible was the "Book 1" spreadsheet that appears on Excel startup. I looked in the "Window" drop-down menu at the top of the page which lists all open files, but only "Book 1" was listed -- there was n...

How to find a message
What is the easiest way to search an entire exchange server for a particular message so that it can be deleted from all mailboxes at once? Seems like Exmerge can do what you ask. Stephen Shanks "Marty S" <MartyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96961451-C239-4886-B7DD-C5E02A73D24B@microsoft.com... > What is the easiest way to search an entire exchange server for a particular > message so that it can be deleted from all mailboxes at once? check this article out; HOW TO: Remove a Virus-Infected Message from Mailboxes by Using the ExMerge.exe Tool h...

where do I find the current user in crystal reports
Hi NG, topic says everything :-) Nicolas F�hrs Many Places Depending what you want to know? Active Directory, Deployment Manger, Web Cleint Top Left=20 Corner, OUTLOOK, Settings-Business Units-Users... Q >-----Original Message----- >Hi NG, > >topic says everything :-) > >Nicolas F=FChrs > > >. > ...

Finding old email
I have a new computer and can't find my old email. I had my old hard drive put on my new one as a separate archived drive, but don't know what folder my email was stored in. I used outlook express and am now using outlook. Does anyone know what "*." file i can search for to find my email? On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:52:58 -0700, "Kim" <kim@primapharm.net> wrote: >I have a new computer and can't find my old email. I had >my old hard drive put on my new one as a separate archived >drive, but don't know what folder my email was stored in. &g...

Need to find directions to build a family genogram
Psychologist has me displaying my family connections by use of a 'genogram' (gen-o-gram)? I want more directions so I may complete this before my next appointment. I need all of the help I can get. It is using boxes and circles and triangles for specific family relationships and they are also color coded. cdwangels5_@hotmail.com Thanks for any help Here is a good example of how to do it... The components are displayed on the next page. This is a really good URL for what you are trying to do. http://www.genopro.com/genogram/ Good luck. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.m...

Wildcard in the Replace function
This is a general question on the replace function. In the Find/Replace dialog box, you can use wildcards to find text/formulas. There is not the same capability to use it in the replace function. I would like the wildcard to act as a placeholder. When I do the replace, I like to include some of the text string to ensure that the correct part of the formula is changed. So here is an example. The cell references are in brackets. '=CustList$B14(B4) =CustList$C14 (C4) =CustList$D14 (D4) In the replace part: '=CustList$*20 The "*" would leave the current column ...

Find Now returns "no items found" in a public folder when it should find something
I have an SBS 2003 server running with Outlook 2003 clients. In one particular public folder if the user selects this folder in Outlook and uses the "find" button, types in the criteria in the "look for" field and clicks the "find now" button - Outlook does not find anything (there things to be found) and comes up with a "no items found" message. If the user uses advanced find from the "options" drop down menu - then the search works! But when the user trys this seach in other public folders (with the relevant search criteria) - it works....

Capitalisation in Find and Replace operations
Hi, I'm just writing because I have noticed an odd thing that Word does when doing a "find and replace", and was wondering whether anyone know the reason or a fix for it. Basically, I have found that if you ask Word to replace the word "foo" (please excuse the word!) with the word "test", if the original word is uppercase as in "FOO", Word will replace it with "TEST". Similarly, if the original word is capitalised "Foo", Word will replace it with "Test", even if you want it to replace it with "test"...

need to find out what to do
to whom it may concern i bought this excel version three at a tag sale and it has never beed open and i can't use it on my cumpter because it is to old i would like to know if you take them back if they have not been open thank you Only if your tag sale gives refunds. No one else will/should be responsible. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:26:35 -0700, "dtooley@bellsouth.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > to whom it may concern > i bo...

Delete all attachments in an email in one operation
How do I delete all attachments in an email in one operation, without having to delete attachments one by one in Outlook 2003? I have emails with many attachments. Hold down your shift key, highlight the first attachment, and use your arrow key to highlight them all, then click on the delete key or right-click and scroll to delete. -- Kathleen Orland "LillA" <LillA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2D8B997-5E43-4F15-8E2B-3209E9D2CA6C@microsoft.com... > How do I delete all attachments in an email in one operation, without having >...

Find & replace different years (part of the date)in a column
I have the various dates on which our staff have joined the organisation. I need a column that would convert all the year part of the date into the current year so that the increment date could be traced. Single command or macro would do. I need this feature in Excel sheet, preferably. However, if there is any other option, i would like to pursue it as well. Writing of code should be avoided. =DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) OR handling blanks. =IF(A1,DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)),"") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "krishna K" wrote: > ...

find first data in a row
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which contains a tree-structure (contents of directory) cel B1 : dir 1 cel C2 : subdir 2a cel D3 : filename 3a cel D4 : filename 3b cel C5 : subdir 2b Which formula should I use, in unused column A, to decide the "level of the row. I used the following formula =MATCH(CONCATENATE(B1;C1;D1;E1;F1;G1;H1;I1; J1;K1;L1;M1;N1;O1;P1;Q1; R1;S1;T1;U1;V1;W1;X1;Y1;Z1) B1:IV1; 0) in cel A1 and copied down. Is there a better one. (The level of nesting directories is now to limited, concatenation takes only 30 arguments, if I want to make th maximum level higher, I ha...

Finding the largest size in a group
I have a query that I am trying to find the largest number in a grouping within a list . My data is as follows 857A046613 857A086613 857A166613 What I need is to be able to find the largest of the threein this group and then move on to the next group and do the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Consider having one information per field, rather than 'encoding' the information. Sure, sure, sure, the management probably like 'encoding' their 'product number' and so on, but that does not mean your database SHOULD do the same. As exam...

Large Operation Error
Excel 2007 (file converted from previous version of Excel through Save As and also incorporates data from another spreadsheet in a previous version of Excel) I have been working with a spreadsheet that has developed a major error in one worksheet after I have shut my computer down and restarted it. Once I access the file again, every time I try to delete a row or column from the worksheet, I get a "large operation" error message saying that "The operation you are about to perform affects a large number of cells and may take a significant amount of time to complete...

replace cell value
how to replace sheet1. cell a1 with shhet2 cell a1 if sheet 2 cell a2 matches sheet1 cell a2 Run this small macro: Sub ReplaceIt() If Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A2").Value Then Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").Value End If End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "hershel" wrote: > how to replace sheet1. cell a1 with shhet2 cell a1 if sheet 2 cell a2 > matches sheet1 cell a2 > . > On ...