Add help text to a form field?

Version: 2008

I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried "adding help text," but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong?
0
db571

What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed.
Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more
effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or
provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table cell.

You might also look up the use of MACROBUTTON fields set to 'No Macro'
rather than strictly relying on the fields offered in the Forms toolbar:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/UsingMacroButton.htm

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<db571@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give
> people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I
> tried "adding help text," but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what
> I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong?

0
CyberTaz
2/22/2010 5:25:28 PM
Good to know. Thanks. Just out of curiosity, where does the info appear in the status bar? I can't find it.
0
db571
2/23/2010 3:10:08 PM
It should show toward the left end of the Status Bar. But it only appears
when the form is Locked or working in a document based on the form template.
As you move into a field the Help Text displays.

--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

<db571@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Good to know. Thanks. Just out of curiosity, where does the info appear in
> the status bar? I can't find it.

0
CyberTaz

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Lookup help
when i do a lookup and i type a number to find that deoen't exsit in th table it still retruns a value to the nearest number i want it to sho N/A instead. thanks for any info -- wally020 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wally0206's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1499 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26615 This should help. Scroll down about 2/3 of the document http://www.uncc.edu/SYSDEV/HowTos/Excel/Using%20VLookup.htm Judy Freed Systems Development "wally...

form cell question in Ver2000
I have a large sheet with email addresses in a column that only displays "yes" with the letters in a gray shaded area. When I hover over the cell the underlying email address becomes visible. I need to find a way to create a column of the email addresses. Any help will be appreciated. James It sounds like someone added hyperlinks to your worksheet. If you select the cell and do Insert|Hyperlink, do you see the email address in a nice dialog? If yes, you can use a user defined function to extract that link (including email address). Saved from a previous post: One way to e...

How do I send text or pictures in Outlook Express 6?
I am unable to be at any site, document, picture and send [via Outlook Express 6] anything to anyone as errors such as 'person unknown', 'error message of every nature immaginable', or 'you must be online with Outlook Express' [when in fact I am online and the default email program [Outlook Express 6] is activated and working with simple emails [and the typical trash spam you receive]; however, when I wish to send NASA documents or anything substantive within the state or federal goverment sites for higher education [i.e. Ohio University], this never works [Outlo...

Excel Add Ins

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Need some help!!!
Hi everyone, I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and I was hoping if someone coul help me with these two problems: 1. I have two Hotmail accounts... can I check the mail on both th accounts simultaneously thru Microsoft Outlook? I tried opening anothe account on Outlook and it did that alright... it's just that it was no showing the contents of the "second" hotmail inbox. Please advise!!! 2. How can I set up two computers (laptop and Desktop) to synchroniz microsft Outlook automatically??? I set up appointments on my lapto Outlook and at home I use my desktop... I have to spend ...

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

Please Help?!?
I recently had to format my hard drive and saved my "Identities" folder which holds all of my old Outlook Express information. I am wondering how to import my address book/old emal/etc out of that Identities folder to Outlook itself. I don't want to lose all of those emails. Please help me! How do I get all of my old settings and folders into Outlook? This group is for Outlook Support. Try an Outlook Express support option. you can find options here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;%5Bln%5D;oex&product=msall "CyAndLako" <CyAndLako...

Use Parameter Data to populate a form field
I am trying to figure out how to take the data I enter from a parameter query to populate a field on a form. Include the parameter(s) as a computed column(s) in the query, e.g. PARAMETERS [Enter start date:] DATETIME, [Enter end date:] DATETIME; SELECT SomeField, SomeOtherField, [Enter start date:] AS StartDate, [Enter end date:] AS EndDate FROM SomeTable WHERE DateField BETWEEN [Enter start date:] AND [Enter end date:]; In the above example you can then bind text box controls on the form to the StartDate and EndDate fields. Ken Sheridan Stafford, England JudyKemp w...

Quote Form
I am having a lot of difficulty doing modifications to the quote form beyond adding the company logo. I am using CRM 3.0, Outlook 2007, Word 2007. A couple of the issues are: 1) If disconnected from the domain (on laptop offline) can not connect to data source. 2) When on the network and select the quote table other fields indicate they are missing and Word wants to remove them. We are not interested in adding a 3rd party product and would really like to get this working with the tools provided in CRM. Has anybody had success with creating a nice custome quote form in Word, or am I wai...

WinXP Pro
The contents of INDEX Tab on Help and Support Center are not there. It is blank and there is only a red X on upper left hand corner? How can I correct it? Any help is appreciated. AAH wrote: > The contents of INDEX Tab on Help and > Support Center are not there. > It is blank and there is only a red X on upper > left hand corner? > How can I correct it? > Any help is appreciated. Try: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_reinstall_the_windows.htm Also - let everyone know your Operating System, Edition and Service Pack level along with the ar...

Excel Help #14
Can I change the content of a drop down list by an entry from another cell? Example: The ranges C1:C5 has one set of names and D1:D5 has another set of names. Depending on the entry in cell A1 for example, the drop list will dynamically change to show either the list of names in C1:C5 or D1:D5. You can create a 2 item drop-down list, with appropriate descriptions, where the user can make a choice between the "C" list or the "D" list. These are called dependent lists, and you can find out all about them from Debra Dalgleish's web site at this page: http://www.cont...

Why does Publisher insert a leading space when pasting text?
When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this? Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E41BD3C-057D-4275-9832-8EE6AAA80243@microsoft.com... > When I past...

add a DC in a LegSite

excel add-ons

Map Add-On?

X axis labels won't line up under corresponding column data
Only way I can get dates (year 1998, 1999 and on etc) to fall under annual income columns is to horse around with spacing, adding and subtracting spaces in the category axis drop-down box in Chart Options. Seems you can't even use the same number of spaces between each because if you add between two of them, adding the same number of spaces doesn'tnecessarily work between the next two. I have about 8 charts to mess with and can't find an easy way to do this. did you try this righclcik x axis, clcik <format axis> choose <scale> UNCHECK <value(y) axis crosed be...