Using Word & Excel v.X to tabulate race results for community festival

Version: v.X
Processor: Intel

0
Walt_Atwood

--B_3346157728_27195117

On 1/12/10 3:25 PM, in article 59bb0c2d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Walt_Atwood@officeformac.com" <Walt_Atwood@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Later this month, I will be volunteering for a local sprint racing event at a
> community festival. Races take place over three days of a long weekend. Friday
> features one mid-distance race and Saturday and Sunday feature sprint races
> repeated over the two-day event. (Contestants run in the race for the first
> day, have their race-time recorded, and then again on the second day, again
> the time is recorded. The race results are the total of both days' times for
> each contestant.) Some contestants may drop out of a race or be disqualified.
>
> I was wondering if Excel X could tabulate race times like this. Someone else
> tried doing it last year with OpenOffice. We may go that route again, but I
> want to see if we can use Word and Excel in case the other volunteer isn't
> available.
>
> Central to this project will be the ability to enter data for time (hours,
> minutes, seconds-plus-decimal-points) and add times together.
>
> There are several different classes of races, each one would presumably be its
> own spreadsheet. Entries for each contestant would be sorted by starting
> order, then first and last name, the contestant's hometown and state, then the
> contestant's assigned racing number, then the times. Contestants are all
> signed up well in advance of the race, so I now have all of their registration
> data in hand.
>
> The desired output would naturally be the re-arrange the contestants of each
> race in order of results. The results would also include for final added time.
>
> Local newspapers and an international racing news web-site are given the
> results. These entities prefer the results in ".doc" format. I produced last
> year's results in tables in Microsoft Word v.X:Mac. Below is a link to a PDF
> file with the 2009 results.
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/waltsimplesite/LobdellRaceResults2-2009.pdf?attre
> directs=0
>
> How practical would it be to have Excel tabulate the race times and then
> transfer the data to a DOC file in Microsoft Word? (These news entities do not
> necessarily use the latest software; some may be long-in-tooth.)
>
> My hardware & software:
>
> MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.33 GHz, 500 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM   Mac OS X (10.6.2)   iWork
> 2009, OpenOffice 3, Microsoft Office v.X:Mac
It�s very practical and pretty easy. Times can be easily added and
subtracted. See Excel Help and this site:
http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/datetime.htm#AddingTimes

For more information.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

--B_3346157728_27195117

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Using Word &amp; Excel v.X to tabulate race results for communit=
y festival</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>On 1/12/10 3:25 PM,=
 in article <a href=3D"59bb0c2d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59bb0c2d.-1@webcro=
ssing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href=3D"Walt_Atwood@officeformac.com">Walt_Atw=
ood@officeformac.com</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"Walt_Atwood@officeformac.com">Wa=
lt_Atwood@officeformac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size=
:10pt'>Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor=
: Intel Later this month, I will be volunteering for a local sprint racing e=
vent at a community festival. Races take place over three days of a long wee=
kend. Friday features one mid-distance race and Saturday and Sunday feature =
sprint races repeated over the two-day event. (Contestants run in the race f=
or the first day, have their race-time recorded, and then again on the secon=
d day, again the time is recorded. The race results are the total of both da=
ys' times for each contestant.) Some contestants may drop out of a race or b=
e disqualified. <BR>
<BR>
I was wondering if Excel X could tabulate race times like this. Someone els=
e tried doing it last year with OpenOffice. We may go that route again, but =
I want to see if we can use Word and Excel in case the other volunteer isn't=
 available. <BR>
<BR>
Central to this project will be the ability to enter data for time (hours, =
minutes, seconds-plus-decimal-points) and add times together. <BR>
<BR>
There are several different classes of races, each one would presumably be =
its own spreadsheet. Entries for each contestant would be sorted by starting=
 order, then first and last name, the contestant's hometown and state, then =
the contestant's assigned racing number, then the times. Contestants are all=
 signed up well in advance of the race, so I now have all of their registrat=
ion data in hand. <BR>
<BR>
The desired output would naturally be the re-arrange the contestants of eac=
h race in order of results. The results would also include for final added t=
ime. <BR>
<BR>
Local newspapers and an international racing news web-site are given the re=
sults. These entities prefer the results in &quot;.doc&quot; format. I produ=
ced last year's results in tables in Microsoft Word v.X:Mac. Below is a link=
 to a PDF file with the 2009 results. <BR>
<BR>
09.pdf?attredirects=3D0">http://sites.google.com/site/waltsimplesite/LobdellRa=
ceResults2-2009.pdf?attredirects=3D0</a> <BR>
<BR>
How practical would it be to have Excel tabulate the race times and then tr=
ansfer the data to a DOC file in Microsoft Word? (These news entities do not=
 necessarily use the latest software; some may be long-in-tooth.) <BR>
<BR>
My hardware &amp; software: <BR>
<BR>
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.33 GHz, 500 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM &nbsp;&nbsp;Mac OS X (10=
..6.2) &nbsp;&nbsp;iWork 2009, OpenOffice 3, Microsoft Office v.X:Mac<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-siz=
e:10pt'>It&#8217;s very practical and pretty easy. Times can be easily added=
 and subtracted. See Excel Help and this site:<BR>
..cpearson.com/Excel/datetime.htm#AddingTimes</a><BR>
<BR>
For more information.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN S=
TYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'><BR>
-- <BR>
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh<BR>
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SP=
AN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3346157728_27195117--

0
Bob
1/12/2010 9:15:27 PM
0
Walt_Atwood
1/12/2010 10:36:58 PM
Hi Walt:

I can't see that you got an answer to your follow-up.  Nor can I see why
this thread suddenly cam alive again after lying dormant for two months...
But here goes...

1)  Impossible.  Never send to the news media any data you do not want them
to print.  If it is in the file, ASSUME that they WILL read it.

2)  Copy and Paste?  Not hard at all.  And that will get rid of your
unwanted data, PROVIDED that you paste the data as a Word table, and not as
an embedded Excel object.  If you paste as embedded Excel, the entire
workbook gets embedded, and they can read all of it :-)

3)  Excel 2007 is from a different planet to Excel vX.  Take the book back
and get one on Excel 2000, that's a much better fit.

The Excel Help is a much better source of wisdom than most books.  Not only
is it about the copy of Excel you are using, but it's right up-to-date.

You want to handle dates and times.  To do this, you need to understand that
Excel handles Dates as "The number of DAYS since Jan 2, 1904."  Times are
"Decimal fractions of 24 hours".

The following is from the Excel 2008 Help:

Excel supports two date systems: the 1904 system, which is the default for
Excel for the Macintosh, and the 1900 system, which is the default for
Windows versions of Excel. Excel stores and calculates dates as sequential
numbers called serial values, regardless of cell format. Numbers to the left
of the decimal point in the serial number represent the date; numbers to the
right represent the time. Because dates and times are stored as numerical
values, they can be added, subtracted, and included in other calculations.

In the 1904 system, January 2, 1904 is serial number 1, and January 1, 2008
is serial number 37986 (because it comes 37,985 days after January 2, 1904).
In this date system, 12:00 P.M. on January 1, 1905 would be stored as the
serial number 366.5.

You can manually switch between the two date systems in Excel Preferences;
however, the correct date system is selected automatically whenever you open
an Excel document. For example, if you are working in Excel for the
Macintosh and you open a document created in a Windows version of Excel,
Excel calculates the dates by using the 1900 date system automatically.
Dates can become out of sync when you copy them between workbooks that use
different date systems.

Hope this helps

On 13/01/10 9:36 AM, in article 59bb0c2d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Walt_Atwood@officeformac.com" <Walt_Atwood@officeformac.com> wrote:

> How difficult will it be to hide unwanted data from the final results for the
> news media?
>
> How difficult will it be to take the spreadsheet data from Excel and bring it
> into Word for the desired tables, like the ones I made last year?
>
> I signed out a Peachpit Visual QuickStart Guide from my local library for
> Excel 2007 for Windows by Maria Langer. How close will this be to my copy of
> Excel v.X:Mac? Which sections of the book do you recommend I concentrate on?
>
> This may seem ridiculous, but I haven't had much spreadhseet experience since
> I used Lotus 1-2-3 for an accounting class 15 years ago.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Mac Word 2008
I've used Word since version one for DOS and was an alpha tester for the first Word for Windows, so I'm not a total dunce. But for the life of me, I cannot figure how to place in the footer "Page X of Y (total pages)". For at least the last 10 years, plus in Mac Word 2004, I could open the footer and insert this feature easily. I've looked everywhere I can think of for information on how to do this in Mac Word 2008 to no blessed avail!! Why trying to do something that was so easy in previous versions of Word can possibly be viewed as an "enhancement&...

Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?
Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007? Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default type for comments? Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and interface design. For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros although they were coded into Access. Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007. Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . . Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7. ...

How to disable the "X" close button of DialogBox.?
i have to disable the "X" button of the Dialog box, how to do it...??? "Ajit Surana" <suranaajit@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152246450.048098.84020@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > i have to disable the "X" button of the Dialog box, how to do it...??? Something like this: CMenu* pMenu = GetSystemMenu(FALSE); if(pMenu) { ASSERT_KINDOF(CMenu, pMenu ); pMenu->EnableMenuItem(SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND | MF_GRAYED | MF_DISABLED); } -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com Thank you Ajay, that is working fine.....wht i need. Thank you ...

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

Word 2007 won't start
I have Word 2007 installed under Windows 7 32-bit, all apps updated to current patch/fix levels. Whenever I try to start Word 2007, I see the Word document screen, including a list of recovered documents. Before the startup sequence finishes, I get an error message tellng me that "Microsoft Word has stopped working." I've tried running MS diagnostics and had no luck. I'd prefer to re-install MS Word without reinstalling all apps, but the next step appears to be an uninstall/reinstall of MS Office. Any other ideas? Thanks! Michael L. Wyland Sumpti...

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?