text in cell shows up as ####

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Text in  cells in a coumn shows up as ####, apparently because there is a large amount of text.  When I mouse over, the text shows. It also shows up in the formula bar.  How can I copy and or print the text in these cell? <br><br>When I try to save these cells as text and transfer to Word, they continue to print as ###.
0
lynnbosco

text in cell shows up as #### <br>
I am totally new to this whole environment! A new iMAC and this software. <br>
However, in trying to learn how to use EXCEL, I found that the amount of info I needed in a cell would not fit. I either had to reformat OR widen the cell to accommodate. The latter worked just fine. Good Luck. <br>
Don
0
kbrianb
1/15/2010 4:41:49 PM
The amount of text in the cell should not cause those symbols to appear.
They normally indicate that the cell contains a formatted value which the
column is not wide enough to display. Rather than displaying only a
misleading portion of the value the symbols are displayed instead.

Right now I have an Excel sheet into one cell of which I've pasted 4 full
pages of content from a Word document (more than 3300 characters) just to
confirm that.

Likewise, when the symbols are displayed in a cell due to a formatted value,
copying & pasting into a Word doc inserts the actual value stored in the
cell, not the symbols. However, I have no idea what you mean by "save these
cells as text".

Additionally, hovering the pointer over a cell doesn't normally cause
anything to appear other than Comments or Hyperlink paths.

In order to pursue the issue you'll need to be far more descriptive about
the situation. Confirm that Office (12.2.3) & OS X (10.5.8) are fully
updated & repair disk permissions. If the problem continues:

What is the file format of the Excel file (.xls, .xlsx, something else)?
What is the origin of the file & how did that volume of content get into the
cell? How much content is there?
Exactly what content displays in the Formula Bar when you select the cell?

Any additional details would be helpful because everything you describe is
very unusual. For it all to be happening in the one file is rare.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/12/10 6:40 PM, in article 59bb0c7e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"lynnbosco@officeformac.com" <lynnbosco@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Text
> in  cells in a coumn shows up as ####, apparently because there is a large
> amount of text.  When I mouse over, the text shows. It also shows up in the
> formula bar.  How can I copy and or print the text in these cell?
>
> When I try to save these cells as text and transfer to Word, they continue to
> print as ###.

0
CyberTaz
1/15/2010 5:54:12 PM
0
lynnbosco
1/19/2010 1:03:25 AM
Usually in an Excel Workbook /spreadsheet if you see a bunch of ####'s
you don't have the column width wide enough. easiest way to cure click
on column header at very top so entire column is selected and go to
format locate column width and choose  Autofit the column will
automatically size to the widest element in the column.

lynnbosco@officeformac.com wrote:
> OS X 10.5.8, Intel processor
>
> It has been consistent with xls and xlsx (but it also shows up when my
> fellow Windows user looks at the file).
>
> These are abstracts from publications..I have copied the text from
> various sources, with the same results.
>
> All the text will show up in the formula bar...not the hatch marks. If
> you mouse over the hatch marks in the cell, the text is visible
>
> I'm unfamiliar with disk repair permissions.

mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
1/19/2010 1:47:37 AM
OK, I was a bit thrown on this because I have *never* -- in more than 25
years of spreadsheet use -- seen one used in this way :-)

I believe you have several problems here, the most significant of which is
that the cells are formatted in a way that prevents any of the huge amount
of content from displaying... There must be tens of thousands of characters
in the cell. If you reformat the cell to General you should be able to see
the text in the cell (or at least a portion of it). How much you'll see
depends on the height of the row & the width of the column as well as
whether there is conflicting content in other cells on the same row.

That leads to the second problem, which is that you'll most likely not be
able to print that content from Excel. The program cannot print anything it
cannot display. The max column width is 255 characters, max row height is
409 points, so even if you make the cell as large as you possibly can it
will still be able to display only a small fraction of what it contains, so
that's all it will be able to print. Even if there are workarounds for
printing all of the cell's content [unlikely without VBA] it would be a
monumental challenge to try to control the pagination of the output.

Now the good news :-)...

Once you reformat the cell you should be able to copy/paste into a text
document (Word, TextEdit, etc.). The content will flow to whatever paper
size & margins you're using & will maintain its proper flow. You can then
print that document. If you have more than one cell with similar amounts of
content I'd suggest that you paste each into an individual text document,
saving each one separately.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/18/10 8:03 PM, in article 59bb0c7e.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"lynnbosco@officeformac.com" <lynnbosco@officeformac.com> wrote:

> OS X 10.5.8, Intel processor
>
> It has been consistent with xls and xlsx  (but it also shows up when my fellow
> Windows user looks at the file).
>
> These are abstracts from publications..I  have  copied the text from various
> sources, with the same results.
>
> All the text will  show up in the formula bar...not the hatch marks.  If you
> mouse over the hatch marks in the cell, the text is visible
>
> I'm unfamiliar with  disk repair permissions.

0
CyberTaz
1/19/2010 11:12:26 PM
0
lynnbosco
1/25/2010 12:46:35 PM
I seem to have fixed the problem by changing the general preference so that the cells spread sheet shows in Normal view and shows formulas (which is not the default).  Somehow the text is being read as a formula...thus will not show if formulas don't show.
0
lynnbosco

--B_3347265628_25720619

On 1/25/10 9:30 AM, in article 59bb0c7e.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

--B_3347265628_25720619

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: text in cell shows up as ####</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>On 1/25/10 9:30 AM,=
 in article <a href=3D"59bb0c7e.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59bb0c7e.6@webcross=
ing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href=3D"lynnbosco@officeformac.com">lynnbosco@of=
ficeformac.com</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"lynnbosco@officeformac.com">lynnbosco@=
officeformac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size=
:10pt'>I seem to have fixed the problem by changing the general preference s=
o that the cells spread sheet shows in Normal view and shows formulas (which=
 is not the default). &nbsp;Somehow the text is being read as a formula...th=
us will not show if formulas don't show.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-siz=
e:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN S=
TYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'><BR>
-- <BR>
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh<BR>
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SP=
AN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3347265628_25720619--

0
Bob

TEXT = text

Sorting by last 3 digits in cell
I need to sort columns using the last 3 digits of a number not the first digits. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. Hi, Try adding a helper column (B) and use =RIGHT(A1,3) and fill down, then click any cell within column B and sort. Harry "britten funk" wrote: > I need to sort columns using the last 3 digits of a number > not the first digits. How do I do this? Thanks for your > help. > I'd use a formula like: =mod(a1,1000) To keep them numbers (not text) Or modify Harry's formula to: =--RIGHT(A1,3) britten funk wrote: > > I need ...

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

linknig cells
How can I have link two cells from different woksheets? ...

Naming a cell #2
I have a long list of data and want to name each cell individually b using the reference of cell on the left and at the top. e.g. Column A B C Row 1 Maths Science 2 Jack 45 50 3 Andrew 88 40 4 Lalita 75 60 5 --------------------------- 6 --------------------------- 7 --------------------------- & So on. What I want is that cell B2 be named as Jack Maths or Maths Jack cell C2 be named as Jack...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

Format cell for negative
Hi I want the value that i type into a cell always to be negative thanks Hi, You need to adjust the format of the cell - this one for instance: -* #,##0_-;-* #,##0_-;_-* "-"_-;_-@_- Notice that the format starts with "-". Go to Format->Cells->Number and paste this format in the custom part. Cheers, Jon "es" wrote: > Hi > I want the value that i type into a cell always to be > negative > > thanks > Is there a specific Cell or range of cells on your worksheet that you want this? Or any and all cells on any Worksheet? "e...

Web Query For Single cells in Spreadsheet
I have a web page that I created with exceleverywhere and would like to import the data into an excel file via web query. The problem is that the web query function in excel 2003 only allows me to import tables, and not single cells. How would I go about selecting just the cells that have the updated data to import? Thanks You could import what you can to another sheet and then use an indirect formula or macro to get what you need. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "analogkid12" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message news:YUMjc.1397$kp.49445@attbi_s52...

Re: Using Text Styles

RE: How do I: enter a checkmark symbol in a cell by clicking on i
hi, Column D2:I1301. Excel should not allow more than 3 ticks for a particular E.No. Regards, Jimmy Hi Jimmy: Specifically, what columns do you want the user to be able to enter checkmarks. -- Gary's Student ...

Blank cells in line charts
I have my tables which are reguarly added too but it is a pain going through the 20 odd charts updating the data range. What i'd like to do is just select a huge area for the data range so i don't have to touch it again and the charts would auto update. The problem is i have told it to ignore blank cells but it still creates them on the chart space. Is there any way to select a heap of cells but have it completely ignore the empty ones until there is data entered in them. -- bluenose ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bluenose's Profile:...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

city, state, zip from a single cell to multiple cells
I have been given a spreadsheet with city, state and zip all in the same cell. Is there a way to split the city, state and zip into three seperate cells? I have a large data base and do not want to do each one at a time. have a look at selecting the column>data>text to columns> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "wjs2002" <wjs2002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1826DE1F-C1B5-432A-99E5-53AEE432A5C9@microsoft.com... > I have been given a spreadsheet with city, state and zip all in the same > cell. Is there a way to split the ci...