Sequentially number lines automatically

Version: v.X
Processor: Intel

0
Steevee

See the Excel help topic "Enter a series of numbers, dates, or other items"

Enter "1" in the first cell and fill down as many rows as you like.

Cheers

On 4/06/10 8:19 AM, in article 59bb9561.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Steevee@officeformac.com" <Steevee@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel How
> can automatically number the lines as I enter data.
>
> so box A1 would automatically be 1
> and the next time I created an entry on another line that line would be 2,
> etc.
>
> The reason is so that I can sort, delete and the numbers will remain, so I can
> also go back to the order than things were entered into.
>
> Could do this manually, but a pain.
>
> Or could possibly do this with a date and time?
>
> Thanks Steevee

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Next sequential number on a different form
Is there a way to do this: I have a form called "List of Proposals Written" that is listed by th Proposal number. Is there a way to display on another excel spreadsheet, the mos current Proposal number? I know Access you use something like Dmax(ProposalID)+1 What should I do in Excel:confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated! Michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com "daniels012 >" <<daniels012.1b8pra@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote > I have a form called "List of Proposals Written" that is listed by the > Propos...

numbering rows, but skipping blanks
I'm using Column A of a spreadsheet to number some items in Column B. I've been using Excel's automatic series-filling function, where you drag down from the lower right corner of a cell. However, since some of the rows in Column B are empty, and I don't want them numbered, I have to stop numbering and manually "jump" over the blanks in Column A. Is there a way to automatically number down in Column A, while skipping over the blanks and continuing where I left off? I.e. 1 2 3 4 5 ? Thanks much. Try this in A1: =IF(B1<>"",COUNTA($B$1:B1),"...

Sequential Numbering
I am trying to automatically print sequential numbers on individual cards on 8.5" x 11" business card stock (to create tickets) using MS Publisher and cannot figure out how to get it to do this. Does anyone know the secret? Thanks. Hi Scott (scottmarsh@excite.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I am trying to automatically print sequential numbers on individual || cards on 8.5" x 11" business card stock (to create tickets) using MS || Publisher and cannot figure out how to get it to do this. Does || anyone know the secret? Thanks. Check out the following tutorial:...

Numbering Headers/
Hi Silver, Try going to File/Page Setup/Header-Footer/Custom Header/Should be the button shown in the header box with the # sign in it. Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21287 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498476 ...

Controlling Sequential Numbers
I have been researching using sequential numbers for invoices an purchase orders, but all of them seem to advance the number eithe every time the document is opened or saved. My purchase order is par of a larger file, and since I will be opening and saving the fil without necessarily writing a purchase order I need more control ove its advancement. I was wondering how I could create a button that whe pressed or selected would advance the number by 1? Also, how could make it create a unique number depending on who's creating the purchas order. For example, let's say the user is ...

HELP!! Trying to convert numbers.
Here is my problem. i have a series of 3 digit numbers that need to be cinverted to a series of 4 digit numbers using this following 722 needs to read as 5622 and in the next collum SV-7822 in the collum's to the right. what type of formula is this and how can i do it? The above is an example, i have a whole range of 3 digit numbers that need the exact. rules applied to all numbers. which is why i need a formula to do it. Help someone please!!!! I'm not completely clear on what your looking for but if 722 was in A1 in B1: = A1 + 4900 in B2: = ="SV-" & A1 + 7100...

What is the max number of...
What is the max number of records that can be put into a table in Microsoft Access? Does it vary from version to version? Thanks in advance. "Mike C" <MikeC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC4F1F10-A96C-4EC7-9E33-670828E53A0A@microsoft.com... > What is the max number of records that can be put into a table in > Microsoft > Access? Does it vary from version to version? Thanks in advance. Google or the online help would be your friend on this one. There's no fixed limit, there's only the limit on the overall size of the database file...

Automatically add addresses I reply to
In Outlook express there is a setting which will automatically add the addresses from emails I reply to. Is there such a setting in Outlook 2007? -- Many thanks Carol No there is not. See http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.asp for tools that can do it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-RE...

maximum number of worksheets in Excel 2000
Can anyone tell me what the maximum no. of worksheets is in Excel? Ton From Help...Limited by available memory (default is 3) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Ton" <Ton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB5EE739-9250-4D83-AA7C-EE82C02C0AA3@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me what the maximum no. of worksheets is in Excel? The maximum number only depends on the amount of memory available. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Ton" <Ton@dis...

Find missing sequential numbers
Hello, I'm looking for a way to quickly find what numbers are missing in column B. I can sort them ascending, but how do I find if there are missing numbers? 1 2 3 5 6 7 9 I need to know 4 and 8 are missing. Thank you. One way: select B2:Bx. Choose Format/Conditional Formatting... CF1: Formula is =(B2-B1)>1 Format1: <pattern>/<some color> or, without sorting, select column B (with B1 active): CF1: Formula is =AND(B1>MIN(B:B),COUNTIF(B:B,B1-1)=0) Both CF's will activate if there are missing numbers before them. In article <28706E9E-2624...

Automatic chart title
How do I make a chart format that will automatically use the name of series 1 as the title when creating the chart? You can format the chart title so it displays whatever is in a particular cell. When going through the chart creation wizard, for title just type in "title". Then when the chart is displayed, click into the chart title, and then in the formula bar type "=" and then click on the cell with the series name in it. This could be developed much further by writing a formula that is more descriptive and pointing the title to that cell. "hmm" wrote: ...

Varying numbers against conisistent ones
Hello! I would like to chart varying salaries against specific Low, middle and high numbers. Any suggestions on how to show this? Example: Salary 1 10000 Salary 2 12000 Salary 3 16000 Low 9000 Mid 15000 High 19000 THANK YOU! Do you want the Low-Mid-High values to be like a benchmark to measure salaries against? You could put horizontal lines across your chart, and use markers for the salary data. Here' a few ways to get your lines: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials...

Sequential number in a query
Hi All, I am working on a YTD Sales report. I would like to know if I can create a cell in a query that will be a squential number. Starting with 1 on up. If so how would I do this? Report would look something like: Num Customer YTD Sales 1 Bobs Sales 495,000 2 Denny's 395,000 3 Biffs Supply 390,000 4.... -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You can use a text box in the report: Control Source: =1 Running Sum: Over All -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mattc66 via AccessMo...

copy tab settings from one line to another?
Is there a quick way to copy tab settings from one line to another without also copy the content of the line? I handle it this way. I go to the end of the line that is tabbed the way I want then hit enter/return a few times. I then cut [ctrl+x] that new blank line (with the tab's formatted the way I wanted them) and paste [ctrl+v] it to where I want those tab settings to start again. Good luck. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a quick way to copy tab settings from one line to another without >also copy the content of the line? > > >. > I don't unde...

Page Number as watermark.
I have a file that displays the text "Page 1" in the center of the worksheet. I have not been able to find a way to stop the page number from displaying. There is no header/footer, no "background", no other special items that I could find that would force the display of this. It does not appear during the printing so it's not a "watermark". It merely displays in my view when I'm working in the worksheet. Help... Hi you're in page break preview view ... choose view / normal from the menu Cheers JulieD "whalenohana" <whalenohana@dis...

Maximum number of rows in a excel 2003 work sheet
Hi, As a new user to excel I am thinking of setting up a data base of my music. The total number of tracks is in excess of 70,000. I have seen a simple solution using excel which would be ok but I'm not sure if I can have 70,000 rows in one work sheet. A friend has suggested access which I am not familiar with and don't know if this will allow 70,000 entries. Can anyone please tell me what the maximum numbers are in both access and excel 2003. Cheers Glinty Max in Excel 2003 is 65536 (in one sheet) whereas Access only limit is your memory -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom ...

How do i get lines on a line graph? #2
I am trying to plot a number of series of data on the same graph. It i experimental data with 'time' as the x axis. Measurements of th experimental data were taken at 4 hour intervals, but they were not al started at the same time. This means that the values of time in th table must increment by 1 but there will not be an experimental valu for each hour because a measurement was not taken. The data table i included in a word file attachment. When i plot a line graph or scatter graph of the points, there is not line going through the points. I have done some experimenting an conc...

Change default numbering
How do I set up the basic template for text numbering in Word 2008 for the Mac? Here is what is driving me nuts: I want to generate numbered lists - lots and lots of them. The first level numbered lines will have second level under them in many cases, also numbered and indented below the first level. The second level will also have third level under them, intended some more and also numbered. This "sort-of" works fine. It USED to work excellently. Here is what I do. I click the Numbering button in the Bullets and Numbering palette. The line indents and a 1) is aut...

Add text automatically by recognized value
I'm trying to create a formula where it recognizes the first three digits of an item number at the same time entering the department name in the cell next to it. So let's say the item number R33569 for dept. WRP, I would only need it to recognize the R33 while entering WRP in the column next to the item number. This is what I got on my work sheet Column C Item Number R33569 R33456 R33447 In the column to the right or left doesn't matter which I need to say the dept. name. So how can i do that without having go through the hundreds of partnumbers that I have. ...

Page Numbering #2
Is there a way to have page numbering span multiple worksheets in a file? I would like to be able to print all the worksheets in a file and have the page numbers in the second worksheet pick up where the page numbers in the first worksheet ended without having to manually adjust the start point in worksheet 2. Please response back to the group. Thanks. JWeinberg I assume the page numbers are set up in your header/footer. If this is correct then all you need to do is select all the sheets you want to print by clicking on each sheet tab while holding down the control key. This will the...

Calculate % complete automatically
Is there an option in 2007 where I can calculate % complete automatically. i.e. a task spans 01-Jan-2010 to 10-Jan-2010. On 05-jan-20010 can I get the % complete as 50% automatically, rather enter manually? Thanks Hello, Not fully automatically, no. However, you can use the Update Project command through Tools > Tracking to set the progress on multiple tasks. The update project command assumes that your progress precisely matches your plan -- not always a valid assumption. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Project MVP Visit http://p...

Formatting phone numbers in Outlook 2003
Does anybody have a way of formatting the phone numbers in Outlook 2003 so that they appear as xxx yyy zzzz that is no dashes, no parentheses? If I am going to synch to my PDA I want the numbers as short as possible and, to me, as readable as possible. Steve No. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded and based on your default dialing location. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Steve E." <stevee21@swbell.net> wrote in message news:2dd601c48eb8$3ff4a1e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anybody have a way of formatting the phone numbers in > Outlook 2003 so that they appear as x...

GP printing PM checks to Acuprint using ACL command line
Looking for experience of printing Great Plains PM checks to Acuprint. Have client that is trying to do this by adding ACL command line in check format report writer to tell Acuprint which template to use. Anyone successful in doing this? Thanks. ...

Make positive number negitive
Budget is our income and sometimes this is positive. I need to make this column in a query all negitive values. I am using the IIf function but it is not working. Budget: [budget_amount] IIf ([budget_amount] >=0, [budget_amount]*-1, [budget_amount]) or is there another function I could use? On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:18:00 -0700, Tamm Fox wrote: > Budget is our income and sometimes this is positive. I need to make this > column in a query all negitive values. > > I am using the IIf function but it is not working. > > Budget: [budget_amount] IIf ([budget_amount] &g...

Precis Numbers
A3 is the result of A1/21 I want to bracket the number in A4 In MSWorks I would type the statement ="["&string(A3,0)&"]" In excel I get in some cells [1.436871259834] I'd like it to read [1] Help please. -- rodney@touch88gum.com.au (Remove gum to reply) Rodney, ="["&ROUND(A3,0)&"]" -- HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Rodney" <rodney@touch88.com.au> wrote in message news:OkME4oGVEHA.2564@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > A3 is the result of A1/21 > I want to bracket the number in A4 > In MSWorks I would type th...