Search does not work for one workbook

I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it.
Drives me crazy. What can this be.
I see peoples names in there.

Kevs

OS 10.6.2
INTEL imac
Office 2004

0
forums55

Hi Kevs:

It could be the file format the workbook is saved in.  What extension does
the file-name have?

The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which
controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no
extension you could get strange results.

Cheers

On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net,
"forums55@verizon.net" <forums55@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it.
> Drives me crazy. What can this be.
> I see peoples names in there.
>

> Kevs
>
> OS 10.6.2
> INTEL imac
> Office 2004

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/12/2010 7:30:43 AM
On 1/11/10 11:30 PM, in article C7727053.4368%john@mcghie.name, "John
McGhie" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Kevs:
>
> It could be the file format the workbook is saved in.  What extension does
> the file-name have?
>
> The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which
> controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no
> extension you could get strange results.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net,
> "forums55@verizon.net" <forums55@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it.
>> Drives me crazy. What can this be.
>> I see peoples names in there.
>>

>> Kevs
>>
>> OS 10.6.2
>> INTEL imac
>> Office 2004
>>

> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
>  --
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

John, thanks,
Seem to solve this by choosing to search values instead of formulas.
Why was it on formulas? Is this the default?
And is there a setting to search everything so this does not happen again?
thanks
Kevs

OS 10.6.2
INTEL imac
Office 2004

0
ken
1/13/2010 11:27:55 PM
I believe "Formulas" is the default.

Normally, "Formulas" will also pick up Values, because the values are the
result of formulas.  But if the value does not exist (because the sheet has
not fully recalculated) then it won't be there to be found.

Cheers

On 14/01/10 10:27 AM, in article C77396FB.578CA%kevs@hotmail.com, "ken"
<kevs@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/10 11:30 PM, in article C7727053.4368%john@mcghie.name, "John
> McGhie" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kevs:
>>
>> It could be the file format the workbook is saved in.  What extension does
>> the file-name have?
>>
>> The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which
>> controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no
>> extension you could get strange results.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net,
>> "forums55@verizon.net" <forums55@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it.
>>> Drives me crazy. What can this be.
>>> I see peoples names in there.
>>>

>>> Kevs
>>>
>>> OS 10.6.2
>>> INTEL imac
>>> Office 2004
>>>

>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>
>>  --
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
>> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name
>>

> John, thanks,
> Seem to solve this by choosing to search values instead of formulas.
> Why was it on formulas? Is this the default?
> And is there a setting to search everything so this does not happen again?
> thanks
> Kevs
>
> OS 10.6.2
> INTEL imac
> Office 2004

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Search & replace in formulae

Working with windows media player in access
I have added a Windows Media Player activex control in an MS Access form and I want to play a video file when I click on an command button. The file to be played is that of the content of a field on that form. For example, if field A contains the text c:\test video1.iso and I click the command button, then play video c:\test video1.iso. If this value changes to another vodeo file name, then play that file. I can't find how to set the URL of the windows media activex control to read a field on a form. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. On Jan 27, 9:10 am, TOMAC <TO.....

My Office 2007 spell checker is not working.
For some reason, Office 2007 is not finding my spelling errors (in Word or PowerPoint). It is not auto-correcting, highlighting errors, or finding errors when I manually run spell check. When I go to Word options, the dialog boxes indicate that it's on and that auto-correct is also on. What's happening? ...

Searching for Newsgroups

Search engine optimization

Linked Workbooks #2
I have a workbook, file A, saved on a shared server and I am the only one with write access. Another department has another read only file, B on their shared server. We have linked cells between files. When either file is opened, the person is asked to open it as read only, this in OK but they are also asked if they want to up-date the link. Question (1). Is there any way of making the link up-date happen without prompting the user? Question (2). The linked cells in both files are formatted as text. If I up-date file A and some of those linked cells in file A are blank, the linked c...

Outlook 2003 multiple issues. Does this thing work?
Had Outlook 2002. Worked fine. Upgraded to Outlook 2003. Now all kinds of problems. Uninstalled, reinstalled, ran updates, etc. still no help. Here are problems. 1. Crashed all the time with a ntdll.dll error 2. If I send in Rich Text or HTML format the messages arrive completely blank. 3. Cannot customize any view. The flag column is about the 5th column over and header status is the 1st. I have removed header status and moved flag about 2,000 times and they don't move or go anywhere. Seems they put customize view in there just to give you something to click on so they ...

Customize Outlook Today doesn't work #5
When using Outlook 2000, clicking on Customize Outlook Today doesn't work. I can click the button, but it doesn't take me anywhere. The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:dfca01c3efdc$4ee01de0$a501280a@phx.gbl, Jac...

excel VBA

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Print and page settings of workbook
I am tired of resetting page attributes on similar worksheets within a workbook. Seems like one should be able to copy print settings (margins, footers, headings, font, etc. etc.) from one worksheet to another with one click like the format brush. What am i missing? Must I write a print macro to do this on each and every multiple set of worksheets? Try selecting the multiple sheets first, then setting the attributes. Just remember to ungroup them before you make changes that *don't* apply to all. In article <OVHh#XvdHHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, David Greenberg <...

Windows Fax and Scan not working
When I try to create a new fax in "Windows Fax and Scan" I get an error message that pops up, that reads, "new fax: unable to retrieve cover page associated with the selected account." The only option is to click "OK", when I do that another pop-up appears, it reads, "The message could not be sent. Access denied." The "Setup Wizard" that is described on the Microsoft help html does not start, is there a way to uninstall Windows Fax and Scan and then reinstall it? Thank you, Mark Freis MJ: Go to "Turn Windows ...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

ResizeParentToFit() does not work!
This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. ---559023410-1804928587-1117212161=:19106 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE Hello. I am developing an image based application. I have chosen to use CScrollView. I want the size of the window to be=20 set initially to the size of the image so that the scrollbars disappear. I have tried to use the following code: SetScrollSizes(MM_TEXT, docSize); GetParentFrame()->RecalcL...

Outlook stops working after loading outlook connector
After loading Outlook Connector to use Hotmail on Outlook 2003 my Outlook has stopped working with my exisitng mail service. I cannot use the "email accounts" item, it says the operation failed due to an installation or registry problem. Also it will not respond when I select send & receive. I have tried reinstalling outlook, also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the whole office package (2003) with no success. So currently I have no way to use Outlook at all. Does anyone know what may be causing this? What exactly is the entire error message? That message is lik...

I want to reference closed workbooks with combo boxes
Howdy, Is it possible to create a list in one workbook and then use anothe workbook with a combo box to reference it? I know how to reference single cell, but for some reason, when i try to do the same for a comb box, it says "Reference is invalid" or something along those lines. The reason i want to do it this way is so that updating the list ca change the list across an entire server rather than having to updat the list on individual computers.....this also brings me to a secon problem. When the list gets updated, the reference number change, so if i wa referencing Name!$A3 a...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? For example, a cell may have a formula such as =3+5 You can search and find the 3 or the 5. The cell with show 8, is it possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell? TIA Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:WbednSOFT7Cbp57fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? > > For example, a cell may have a formula such as > > =3+5 >...

Search Form Problems
I have a form that has two fields in it. The first field is for a ID number, and the other is for the projects name. I am having a problem with using the form for as a search tool. Some of the values are duplicates in the drop down, I wanted to know how to properly filter the combo box so that the values can only be seen once. The Row Source is the name of the table that the fields are from, however this only words for the ID combo box and not the project name one. For some reason the values are from the ID column in the project name's combo box as well. To counter this problem, I si...

one more question to Lebans's AutoSizeTextBox
Hi Stephen, it's always me and I really need your help again... Is it possible to apply your code to every single TexBox in a form but without repeat the code to every ones? I mean, I know how to fire the code for a single textbox, but I'd like to apply it to every TextBox at same time! How can I change your code to do that? May be I have to use ''Screen.ActiveControl.Text'' or something like that, but I am not able to integrate that on your cade. Thanks again for your attention... Bye, Stefano. P.S. for everyone would like give to me a hand, this is the link where to...