Printing is very light in Excel ONLY

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have a brand new Mac computer.   I just hooked up a brand new Canon PIXMA MP490 printer.  It prints everything correctly EXCEPT documents I've created in Excel.  I still have my old printer and it prints Excel documents just fine. Canon helped me reinstall the drivers but I still can't get a good black and white document from Excel. What could be the problem?  Word documents print just fine.
0
snakysmom

Perhaps Canon helped you reinstall the drivers, but did they help you
reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be
several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue.

Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the
program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that
printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others
doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain
array of print services & it's the responsibility of the driver software to
provide what's needed.

Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with
the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to
check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the
Page tab & that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab.

Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other
than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/10/10 12:01 PM, in article 59bb471c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"snakysmom@officeformac.com" <snakysmom@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have a brand new Mac computer.   I just hooked up a brand new Canon PIXMA
> MP490 printer.  It prints everything correctly EXCEPT documents I've created
> in Excel.  I still have my old printer and it prints Excel documents just
> fine. Canon helped me reinstall the drivers but I still can't get a good black
> and white document from Excel. What could be the problem?  Word documents
> print just fine.

0
CyberTaz
3/10/2010 6:47:42 PM
> reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be <br>
> several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue. <br>
> Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the <br>
> program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that <br>
> printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others <br>
> doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain <br>
> array of print services &amp; it's the responsibility of the driver software to <br>
> provide what's needed. <br>
> Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with <br>
> the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to <br>
> check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the <br>
> Page tab &amp; that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab. <br>
> Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other <br>
> than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it. <br>
> HTH |:>)  <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 3/10/10 12:01 PM, in article 59bb471c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;snakysmom@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I have a brand new Mac computer.   I just hooked up a brand new Canon PIXMA <br>
> > MP490 printer.  It prints everything correctly EXCEPT documents I've created <br>
> > in Excel.  I still have my old printer and it prints Excel documents just <br>
> > fine. Canon helped me reinstall the drivers but I still can't get a good black <br>
> > and white document from Excel. What could be the problem?  Word documents <br>
> > print just fine. <br>

0
snakysmom
3/11/2010 4:54:42 AM
Delete the printer entirely from your computer, then re-start the computer.

Then re-install the printer.

When you re-install, OS X should prompt you to go online to get updated
drivers.  If it does, say "Yes".  If it doesn't, use the files the Canon
people gave you.

This is a bit of an issue with OS X and Canon printers: the first try
sometimes doesn't work because OS X 10.6 has a different printing engine,
and the old drivers won't work.

Cheers

On 11/03/10 3:54 PM, in article 59bb471c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"snakysmom@officeformac.com" <snakysmom@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Yes, they installed the latest drivers.  They said I shouldn't have installed
> from the software that was enclosed with the printer because it was "old", so
> they removed everything and had me download a bunch of files from their
> website.  Incidentally, I tried to print your response and that printer tells
> me the job is on "hold" and even though I click "resume", it wouldn't print.
> Had to use my old HP.
>
>> Perhaps Canon helped you reinstall the drivers, but did they help you
>> reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be
>> several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue.
>>
>> Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the
>> program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that
>> printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others
>> doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain
>> array of print services & it's the responsibility of the driver software to
>> provide what's needed.
>>
>> Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with
>> the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to
>> check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the
>> Page tab & that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab.
>>
>> Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other
>> than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it.
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 3/10/10 12:01 PM, in article 59bb471c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "snakysmom@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> I have a brand new Mac computer.   I just hooked up a brand new Canon PIXMA
>>> MP490 printer.  It prints everything correctly EXCEPT documents I've created
>>> in Excel.  I still have my old printer and it prints Excel documents just
>>> fine. Canon helped me reinstall the drivers but I still can't get a good
>>> black
>>> and white document from Excel. What could be the problem?  Word documents
>>> print just fine.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/11/2010 6:38:05 AM
Further to John's advice... Since your messages don't explicitly indicate
your OS X update level make sure you are at 10.6.2 before you proceed.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/11/10 1:38 AM, in article C7BEDAFD.61F7%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Delete the printer entirely from your computer, then re-start the computer.
>
> Then re-install the printer.
>
> When you re-install, OS X should prompt you to go online to get updated
> drivers.  If it does, say "Yes".  If it doesn't, use the files the Canon
> people gave you.
>
> This is a bit of an issue with OS X and Canon printers: the first try
> sometimes doesn't work because OS X 10.6 has a different printing engine,
> and the old drivers won't work.
>
> Cheers
>

> On 11/03/10 3:54 PM, in article 59bb471c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "snakysmom@officeformac.com" <snakysmom@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, they installed the latest drivers.  They said I shouldn't have installed
>> from the software that was enclosed with the printer because it was "old", so
>> they removed everything and had me download a bunch of files from their
>> website.  Incidentally, I tried to print your response and that printer tells
>> me the job is on "hold" and even though I click "resume", it wouldn't print.
>> Had to use my old HP.
>>
>>> Perhaps Canon helped you reinstall the drivers, but did they help you
>>> reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be
>>> several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue.
>>>
>>> Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the
>>> program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that
>>> printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others
>>> doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain
>>> array of print services & it's the responsibility of the driver software to
>>> provide what's needed.
>>>
>>> Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with
>>> the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to
>>> check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the
>>> Page tab & that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab.
>>>
>>> Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other
>>> than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it.
>>>
>>> HTH |:>)
>>> Bob Jones
>>> [MVP] Office:Mac

> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
>  --
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
CyberTaz
3/11/2010 11:47:13 AM
> Then re-install the printer. <br>
> When you re-install, OS X should prompt you to go online to get updated <br>
> drivers.  If it does, say &quot;Yes&quot;.  If it doesn't, use the files the Canon <br>
> people gave you. <br>
> This is a bit of an issue with OS X and Canon printers: the first try <br>
> sometimes doesn't work because OS X 10.6 has a different printing engine, <br>
> and the old drivers won't work. <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 11/03/10 3:54 PM, in article 59bb471c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;snakysmom@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Yes, they installed the latest drivers.  They said I shouldn't have installed <br>
> > from the software that was enclosed with the printer because it was &quot;old&quot;, so <br>
> > they removed everything and had me download a bunch of files from their <br>
> > website.  Incidentally, I tried to print your response and that printer tells <br>
> > me the job is on &quot;hold&quot; and even though I click &quot;resume&quot;, it wouldn't print. <br>
> > Had to use my old HP. <br>
> >> Perhaps Canon helped you reinstall the drivers, but did they help you <br>
> >> reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be <br>
> >> several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue. <br>
> >> Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the <br>
> >> program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that <br>
> >> printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others <br>
> >> doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain <br>
> >> array of print services &amp; it's the responsibility of the driver software to <br>
> >> provide what's needed. <br>
> >> Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with <br>
> >> the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to <br>
> >> check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the <br>
> >> Page tab &amp; that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab. <br>
> >> Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other <br>
> >> than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it. <br>
> >> HTH |:>)   <br>
> >> Bob Jones   <br>
> >> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> >> On 3/10/10 12:01 PM, in article 59bb471c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> >> &quot;snakysmom@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless you intend to pay! <br>
>  --  <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft
0
snakysmom
3/12/2010 3:40:52 AM
Sounds like he knows less than you do :-)

I can't try this, because I don't have your printer, but go to File>Print in
Excel, then drop down the slot that says "Copies and Pages".

Under "Colour Matching" there should be an option to "Force colours to
black" or "Grey scale" or something.  The exact options you will see I can't
say: they are not part of Excel.  The entire Print dialog is a Mac OS X
dialog, and the options you see in it come from either Mac OS or the printer
driver.

The problem you have is NOT Excel.  Excel will print colour or black, and
even mix the two on the same page.  On a Mac, Excel does not do any
printing: it simply hands the file over to Mac OS X and says "Here, print
this".

Now, you have to be a little reasonable here: getting a machine that will
print, scan, and copy at photographic resolution for less than a hundred
bucks is Cannon's suggestion to you that you should not expect the same kind
of performance you would get from a $35,000.00 high-volume commercial
printer.

However, I STILL say that the problem is the driver.  Your printer has one
cartridge for black ink, and one for the other three colours.

For some reason, it's not using the black ink...

{Lightbulb comes on}  Would you mind just opening up the printer for me?
You should see two cartridges in there.  One cartridge should have "PG510"
written prominently on it and a BLACK band across the top.  The other should
have "CL511" written on it, and a multi-coloured band across the top.

If the black ink is not in there, then your poor printer cannot print a true
black, no matter how hard it tries.  It will try: but the result of mixing
Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow produces a muddy greenish-grey colour!

In which case, look in the shipping box: there should be a "PG510" cartridge
in there somewhere: put it in, and you will cure your problem.

Note:  The above is unlikely:  Most modern printers will refuse to print
"anything" if either cartridge is missing or empty.  It is possible that the
Black cartridge is present but not "working", I suppose.

When you're next out shopping, have a look for the high-yield cartridges
(PG512 and CL513).  They will give you better than double the number of
pages, but you need to be printing enough to use them up within six months
or they will glunk up on you.

Sorry:  You may need to take this one back to the shop and tell them to
"show me it working".

Cheers

On 12/03/10 2:40 PM, in article 59bb471c.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"snakysmom@officeformac.com" <snakysmom@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Cannon won't help me.  I had still yet another guy tell me that the problem is
> Excel.  He said that a spreadsheet is a "graphic" and therefore only prints it
> in cyan, magenta, and yellow.  He said only plain text will print dark in
> black and white.  I told him I can't believe people would go out and replace a
> broken-down printer with a Cannon and then not be able to print their
> documents in Excel. He would not replace the drivers.  He said if the drivers
> were the problem I wouldn't be able to print anything. I wonder why my Hewlett
> Packard printer is smart enough to figure out that when I say black and white
> I want it printed in black and white, not gray and white. I bought my HP in
> 2002 and it's still chugging away. How does anyone get their documents to
> print correctly from Excel with a Cannon printer?  (By the way, it's a PIXMA
> MP490.) I am so frustrated!
>
>> Delete the printer entirely from your computer, then re-start the computer.
>>
>> Then re-install the printer.
>>
>> When you re-install, OS X should prompt you to go online to get updated
>> drivers.  If it does, say "Yes".  If it doesn't, use the files the Canon
>> people gave you.
>>
>> This is a bit of an issue with OS X and Canon printers: the first try
>> sometimes doesn't work because OS X 10.6 has a different printing engine,
>> and the old drivers won't work.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On 11/03/10 3:54 PM, in article 59bb471c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "snakysmom@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, they installed the latest drivers.  They said I shouldn't have
>>> installed
>>> from the software that was enclosed with the printer because it was "old",
>>> so
>>> they removed everything and had me download a bunch of files from their
>>> website.  Incidentally, I tried to print your response and that printer
>>> tells
>>> me the job is on "hold" and even though I click "resume", it wouldn't print.
>>> Had to use my old HP.

>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>
>>  --
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
3/12/2010 8:06:23 AM
Just a footnote to John's reply: The murky result can also occur if you
specify Black for the font color rather than "Automatic".

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/12/10 3:06 AM, in article C7C0412F.6271%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> When you re-install, OS X should prompt you to go online to get updated
>>> drivers.  If it does, say "Yes".  If it doesn't, use the files the Canon
>>> people gave you.
>>>
>>> This is a bit of an issue with OS X and Canon printers: the first try
>>> sometimes doesn't work because OS X 10.6 has a different printing engine,
>>> and the old drivers won't work.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>>
>>>  --
>>>
>>> John McGhie, Microsoft
>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
>  --
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

3/12/2010 5:55:34 PM
Thank you!  I knew I had missed one :-)

Cheers

On 13/03/10 4:55 AM, in article C7BFEA46.5924F%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"Bob Jones" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> white
>>> I want it printed in black and white, not gray and white. I bought my HP in
>>> 2002 and it's still chugging away. How does anyone get their documents to
>>> print correctly from Excel with a Cannon printer?  (By the way, it's a PIXMA
>>> MP490.) I am so frustrated!

>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>
>>  --
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
>> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

3/13/2010 1:41:26 AM
> [...]
> Under &quot;Colour Matching&quot; there should be an option to &quot;Force colours to <br>
> black&quot; or &quot;Grey scale&quot; or something.  The exact options you will see I can't <br>
> say: they are not part of Excel.  The entire Print dialog is a Mac OS X <br>
> dialog, and the options you see in it come from either Mac OS or the printer <br>
> driver. <br>
> The problem you have is NOT Excel.  Excel will print colour or black, and <br>
> even mix the two on the same page.  On a Mac, Excel does not do any <br>
> printing: it simply hands the file over to Mac OS X and says &quot;Here, print <br>
> this&quot;. <br>
> Now, you have to be a little reasonable here: getting a machine that will <br>
> print, scan, and copy at photographic resolution for less than a hundred <br>
> bucks is Cannon's suggestion to you that you should not expect the same kind <br>
> of performance you would get from a $35,000.00 high-volume commercial <br>
> printer. <br>
> However, I STILL say that the problem is the driver.  Your printer has one <br>
> cartridge for black ink, and one for the other three colours. <br>
> For some reason, it's not using the black ink... <br>
> {Lightbulb comes on}  Would you mind just opening up the printer for me? <br>
> You should see two cartridges in there.  One cartridge should have &quot;PG510&quot; <br>
> written prominently on it and a BLACK band across the top.  The other should <br>
> have &quot;CL511&quot; written on it, and a multi-coloured band across the top. <br>
> If the black ink is not in there, then your poor printer cannot print a true <br>
> black, no matter how hard it tries.  It will try: but the result of mixing <br>
> Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow produces a muddy greenish-grey colour! <br>
> In which case, look in the shipping box: there should be a &quot;PG510&quot; cartridge <br>
> in there somewhere: put it in, and you will cure your problem. <br>
> Note:  The above is unlikely:  Most modern printers will refuse to print <br>
> &quot;anything&quot; if either cartridge is missing or empty.  It is possible that the <br>
> Black cartridge is present but not &quot;working&quot;, I suppose. <br>
> When you're next out shopping, have a look for the high-yield cartridges <br>
> (PG512 and CL513).  They will give you better than double the number of <br>
> pages, but you need to be printing enough to use them up within six months <br>
> or they will glunk up on you. <br>
> Sorry:  You may need to take this one back to the shop and tell them to <br>
> &quot;show me it working&quot;. <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 12/03/10 2:40 PM, in article 59bb471c.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;snakysmom@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Cannon won't help me.  I had still yet another guy tell me that the problem is <br>
> > Excel.  He said that a spreadsheet is a &quot;graphic&quot; and therefore only prints
0
snakysmom
3/13/2010 3:45:02 AM
On 13/03/10 2:45 PM, in article 59bb471c.8@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"snakysmom@officeformac.com" <snakysmom@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile, Generic Gray Profile

Those two are in Black and White.  But I don't think they will solve your
problem.

Have you followed Bob's suggestion?  Open a spreadsheet, select all, then
Format>Cells>Font and ensure the colour is set to "Automatic" and NOT
"Black".  Try that.

Other than that, I need you to take the computer and the printer back to the
shop and get the salesman to make it work for you.  The possibility of doing
more harm than good is too high; because I can't see what you are doing, and
you are not an expert in this field.

Particularly since I don't have your printer here to try this on.

This is not intended to impugn your ability at all, but the settings
concerned are rather complex, and if we get them wrong, it could be a very
lengthy process to get them right again.

Hope this helps

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
3/14/2010 5:32:09 AM
> reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be <br>
> several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue. <br>
> Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the <br>
> program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that <br>
> printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others <br>
> doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain <br>
> array of print services &amp; it's the responsibility of the driver software to <br>
> provide what's needed. <br>
> Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with <br>
> the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to <br>
> check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the <br>
> Page tab &amp; that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab. <br>
> Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other <br>
> than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it. <br>
> HTH |:>)  <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 3/10/10 12:01 PM, in article 59bb471c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;snakysmom@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I have a brand new Mac computer.   I just hooked up a brand new Canon PIXMA <br>
> > MP490 printer.  It prints everything correctly EXCEPT documents I've created <br>
> > in Excel.  I still have my old printer and it prints Excel documents just <br>
> > fine. Canon helped me reinstall the drivers but I still can't get a good black <br>
> > and white document from Excel. What could be the problem?  Word documents <br>
> > print just fine. <br>

0
snakysmom
3/15/2010 5:39:46 AM
> reinstall the *latest* drivers? Those that came in the box may well be <br>
> several versions behind. With Snow Leopard that is a critical issue. <br>
> Although it's understandable that many people have the wrong impression the <br>
> program you're printing from doesn't do the printing. And the fact that <br>
> printing from one program presents a problem while printing from others <br>
> doesn't really makes little difference. Each program calls for a certain <br>
> array of print services &amp; it's the responsibility of the driver software to <br>
> provide what's needed. <br>
> Excel calls for the print service from OS X which works in conjunction with <br>
> the selected printer's driver software to carry out the task. Two things to <br>
> check in Excel: In File> Page Setup confirm that High is selected on the <br>
> Page tab &amp; that Draft Quality is not checked on the Sheet tab. <br>
> Unless you've used some kind of formatting on the cells that employs other <br>
> than Automatic font color there isn't much more Excel has to do with it. <br>
> HTH |:>)  <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 3/10/10 12:01 PM, in article 59bb471c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;snakysmom@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I have a brand new Mac computer.   I just hooked up a brand new Canon PIXMA <br>
> > MP490 printer.  It prints everything correctly EXCEPT documents I've created <br>
> > in Excel.  I still have my old printer and it prints Excel documents just <br>
> > fine. Canon helped me reinstall the drivers but I still can't get a good black <br>
> > and white document from Excel. What could be the problem?  Word documents <br>
> > print just fine. <br>

0
snakysmom

I am looking for an excell worksheet for restaurant inventory
I have Microsoft Office 2003. I am currently trying to get a new restaurant out of a hole and I need as many resources as I can get my hands on quickly. Once I had a great spreadsheet for inventory which included cells which automatically calculated a cost per ounce price. I used it for costing purposes as well as my daily and weekly inventory. Lisa, I "Googled", "inventory worksheet" and got 1,080,000 hits. The first page listed one spreadsheet for restaurant from RestaurantOwner.com. Good luck. HTH :-) "Lise" wrote: > I have Microsoft Office 2003. I...

Excel macro to insert rows if a cell does not equal the value above that cell
I have a spreadsheet listing columns of information for many different people. If more than one row exists for the same person, I'd like to insert 2 rows after the row so that the group is separated from the next group. For example, here's how the data appears now: LastName Account# Balance Martin 1 500.00 Martin 2 750.00 Smith 5 100.00 Thomas 9 900.00 Here's what I'd like it to look like after running the macro: LastName Account# Balance Martin 1 500.00 Martin 2 75...

printing copies

Ghosted print and print preview

vioce in excel
In class we learned that there is a feature in excel that speaks Audio actually tells you what is in the cell I would really like to know how to turn this feature on I am using office 2007 excel Please help I'm afraid I don't have 2007, but in 2003 it was under Tools - Speech. You could try looking in the XL help file for "speech playback". -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "lori" wrote: > In class we learned that there is a feature in excel that speaks Audio > actually tells y...

TCP/IP printing

Excel to OLE DB
I import an Excel Spreadsheet into AutoCAD. It is my understanding that in order to do so, I have to have the file in OLE DB format. How do I export an excel file into that format? Thank you. "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ... > I import an Excel Spreadsheet into AutoCAD. It is my understanding that in > order to do so, I have to have the file in OLE DB format. How do I export an > excel file into that format? I suspect this means the native Excel data must be organized as a database i.e. rows of columns with column headers, values with con...

Can I import contacts in Excel into Sharepoint contacts?
Can I import contacts in Excel into Sharepoint contacts? Importing contacts in Excel spreadsheet into SharePoint contacts is something that SharePoint does not support. Probably you can define your contacts as a 'Custom List' in SharePoint. If you are specific about importing from a Excel spreadsheet, you can take a look at SharePoint List Management Solution (SPListM) which allows you to import list items(contacts) with associated metadata and file attachments to your SharePoint Lists such as Contacts, Calendars, Surveys, Discussion Boards etc. SharePoint by default does...

Macro commands to assign colors to each line in an Excel chart.
Is there a macro command that will assign a user specifide color to each individual line of a scatter graph? Hi, First, scatter charts do not usually display as lines, so when you say line what do you mean? You chosen as style with connecting lines? or you are refering to drop lines, or error bar lines, or...? You can tell Excel to vary the color by point but if you want to assign specific colors to specific points you will need to write a macro. What version of Excel are you using? -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "JohnnyC" wr...

Print Dynamic Range

excell problems
how can i put TWO LINES OF NUMBERS IN ONE CELL <Alt> <Enter> -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "THE JOKER" <THEJOKER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:722BE439-FDD8-4EC9-A1ED-9CEE81E85151@microsoft.com... how can i put TWO LINES OF NUMBERS IN ONE CELL Hi, If you want to put two lines of data into one cell, use the concatenat function. This joins up to 30 cells of information. The easy wa...

Printing booklet

Excel data into Word
I need to layout some data from excel into word. The final product needs to have 5 columns so that it looks like (repeated across). Name Name Address Address City, State ZIP City, State ZIP I remember doing this years ago in Word, but I cannot figure out to do it. I need to end up with 127 entries. This is for a page in a document. I seem to recall that at the end of each merged entry, there was a code that told word to enter the data going across rather than making a new page. Depending on whether you want the ent...

Check printing in GP 7.0

CHtmlView and Printing

How do I convert PDF files to Excel?
I need to convert PDF files to formatted a Excel file so that I can make adjustments to the amounts in one column. "Kusko" <Kusko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:59E00681-1630-4D2D-BB1A-2DEB11DA3AF3@microsoft.com... > I need to convert PDF files to formatted a Excel file so that I can make > adjustments to the amounts in one column. You need Adobe Acrobat if you want to modify a pdf file. /Fredrik Scan it and send it to a OCR program. Hoping that you have a clean legible master to scan. -- HansM "Kusko" <Kusko@discussions.microsof...

"Tiled" print setting.

Excel and Open Office #2
I have made a Excel file with many worksheets. Of which i have protected and hidden some of the worksheets. I works fine in the windows. But in Open Office (Linux) all the hidden files also gets opened. which is a security breach. any workarounds? not to display the hidden worksheet in Open office. Kindly help This was a duplicate thread, the original was posted twelve minutes before this thread was started. Please refer to your original posting/thread. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=6D8216FA-78F8-4212-8B74-1465897492F5%40microsoft.com Don't know if the link will ...

Problems with printing

Printing--How not to Print Bkground

How do I prevent Excel from replacing path in hyperlink when saved
I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm using the path (F:\myfile.txt). When I save the document, the hyperlink changes to (\\MyServer\MyPath\myfile.txt). Is it possible to prevent this, because if the servername is changed in the future the link won't work Regards Rico Use the =HYPERLINK() function: =HYPERLINK("F:\myfile.txt","myfile") -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200810 "Rico B. Raben" wrote: > I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm > using the path (...

Printing in Vista

Formula/Macro to tally up numbers in Excel
I have a list of numbers in a column, e.g. :- 1 4 6 1 35 14 15 15 2 1 6 6 1 19 15 5 and want the computer to work out for me, how many times number x has turned up in column B? I presume this is possible with a function/macro within excel fairly easily? Any advice/pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Please prefably reply in the newsgroup, or via email to "newshelp@the-core.freeserve.co.uk.DELETE", removing the .DELETE from the end of my address. Thanks, Mark Pyne Hi Have a look at COUNTIF() and try something like: =COUNTIF(B:B,1) to count how many 1s there ...