Pie Pie or Pie Bar Chart

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

These charts appear in the chart gallery yet the methods to implement them are not obvious to me.  Been through all the Mac Excel 2008 help (including on line) - no luck.  How does one format or specify the data table so that a component of the main pie will be broken down in the secondary pie or bar?
1
RobertP

Excel 2008 Help on charts really is one of the better aspects of Help in the
2008 suite, but it does fall short in some areas... That's one of them.

Try here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011179371033.aspx

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/30/10 8:03 PM, in article 59bb1ee2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"RobertP@officeformac.com" <RobertP@officeformac.com> wrote:

> These charts appear in the chart gallery yet the methods to implement them are
> not obvious to me.  Been through all the Mac Excel 2008 help (including on
> line) - no luck.  How does one format or specify the data table so that a
> component of the main pie will be broken down in the secondary pie or bar?

0
CyberTaz
2/1/2010 2:02:20 PM
PS: I meant to include this link as well since 2008 doesn't use the old
Chart Wizard;

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102118481033.aspx
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/1/10 9:02 AM, in article C78C491C.5AB8C%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Excel 2008 Help on charts really is one of the better aspects of Help in the
> 2008 suite, but it does fall short in some areas... That's one of them.
>
> Try here:
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011179371033.aspx
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 1/30/10 8:03 PM, in article 59bb1ee2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "RobertP@officeformac.com" <RobertP@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
>> These charts appear in the chart gallery yet the methods to implement them
>> are
>> not obvious to me.  Been through all the Mac Excel 2008 help (including on
>> line) - no luck.  How does one format or specify the data table so that a
>> component of the main pie will be broken down in the secondary pie or bar?

0
CyberTaz

how to create "magic grid" chart with names in it
Hi. I want to create a "gartner's magic quadrant" like grphics. I use the scatter plot to draw two variables into a single point, BUT when I want to name the dots I can't use the name instead the value. vulnerabilidad probabilidad impacto Incendio 2 4 inundacion 2 3 robo 3 5 aceso no autorizado 5 4 perdida de integridad 4 5 falla de energia 3 2 Thanks.... Gonzalo Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com Cheers Andy gconcha.ci...

pie charts
I wanted to know if there was a way to make the pie chart more interactive and more user friendly. The question that I have is: Is it possible for Excel to automatically move/add an 'arc' through exploded pie chart, within each individual slice. Without having t insert a text box and manually create each arc that is needed. EXAMPLE: In the area of "Customer Service" the group wants to become a Level from a Level 4; by just entering the number in to a worksheet rathe than in a text box on the chart itself. I have an example attached so you could get a visual look at ...

Read Web Browser Address Bar?
Using VB6 is there someway to write a program that would tell me what the contents of the address bar of the active window of any web browser (IE, Firefox etc.) Thanks in Advance Duke Your best bet is probably the DOM. With IE it's the IE.LocationURL, or document.location.href or document.url. I'm not familiar with DOMs for other browsers. To do it otherwise would be difficult. If you look at Firefox in Spy++ you'll see that there are few actual windows found. If you look at it with Active Accessibility you can go down several levels, into a sub-level of the...

Bar code scanners
Hello All! I have a warehouse facility and several stores and am trying to find a way to use a barcode scanner with internal memory to scan large orders (200 pieces or greater) that i can then hook to my pc with RMS and "dump" the information into either a transfer out or an invoice. has anyone done this? if not does anyone have any recommendations? is there a person i could contact that may be able to write a short program or executable to make this happen? I would appreciate any and all information anyone may be able to provide. Thanks, Jim Hi Jim, I don't kno...

Application Title Bar
I know you can set the application title in the Startup dialog box, but I'd like to do it programatically using VBA in my Startup form. Anybody know how? -- Jim Provided some title has been set, use: currentdb.Properties("AppTitle") = "Hello World" Application.RefreshTitleBar If the property does not exist, you need to create it. The SetPropertyDAO() function in this link will set the property, creating it if needed: http://allenbrowne.com/AppPrintMgtCode.html#SetPropertyDAO -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access us...

Delete Chart
How do I delete a chart that will not allow me to click on it? If the sheet has been protected, you need to unprotect it first (Tools menu). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ agac8103 wrote: > How do I delete a chart that will not allow me to click on it? It's not protected. "Jon Peltier" wrote: > If the sheet has been protected, you need to unprotect it first (Tools menu). > > - Jon > ------- > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP > Peltier Technical S...

Pie of pie of pie
The present pie of pie allows us to create pie charts upto 2 level. I want to create 3 level pie charts(pie of pie of pie). How can I do that? -- Rash Edward Tufte once said words to this effect: "The only thing worse than a pie chart is two pie charts." I imagine that a pie of pie of pie is even worse. I would try to display the data using a series of column or bar charts. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Rash" <Rash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

progress bar didn't update in Vista
Hi I have a program which will show a progress bar in top of Dialog window. It works fine in windows XP and win 2k, but doesn't work in Vista. When running the program in Vista, the progress bar will show but doensn't get update when calling StepIt(). The position seems always stay at beginning The simpified code as follows: CProgressCtrl progressBar; progressBar.Create( WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD | PBS_SMOOTH, rect, this, IDC_PROGRESSBAR ); progressBar.SetRange( 0, 100 ); progressBar.SetStep( 25 ); progressBar.StepIt(); Your help is highly appreciated Jun > > The simpifie...

Excel Bar that looks like an Outlook Bar
I have an employee who has what looks like an Outlook BAR on the left side of his Excel worksheet. He inherited the computer and files and does not know how to get rid of it. I have never seen anything like this. Anyone know? Maybe there's an outline on the sheet. Choose Data> Group and Outline > Clear Outline to remove it. Cal Miyatake wrote: > I have an employee who has what looks like an Outlook BAR > on the left side of his Excel worksheet. He inherited the > computer and files and does not know how to get rid of > it. I have never seen anything like this...

Possible to add second data label to pie chart?
I am trying to automate a large number of charts. The problem I am having is adding a second label to a pie chart. I have added the name of the slice and its percentage but I'd like to add an additional lable centered in the slice with its point change from last year. I can do this by hand with text boxes but its a real pain. Is there a way to add a label that changes based on what I put into a cell? Here is an example of what I am trying to do. [image: http://www.bgphc.com/picture/chart-example.gif] -- jpwolf00 --------------------------------------------------------------------...

how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's
hello there, would appreciate help and advice to help me. i have six columns of data. the first column is a string variable, the second and third columns are numerical variables (year, population size n). these first three columns would be my y-axis on the left. if it would help make it easier, then i can combine these three columns into one column (e.g. arthur 1999 30,000) . the fourth, fifth and sixth columns are lower limit of the point estimate's 95% confidence interval, point estimates itself and the upper limit of 95% confidence interval (e.g. 0.32(0.51)0.73). these last co...

Pie Pie or Pie Bar Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel These charts appear in the chart gallery yet the methods to implement them are not obvious to me. Been through all the Mac Excel 2008 help (including on line) - no luck. How does one format or specify the data table so that a component of the main pie will be broken down in the secondary pie or bar? Excel 2008 Help on charts really is one of the better aspects of Help in the 2008 suite, but it does fall short in some areas... That's one of them. Try here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA...

changing default fill for balck and white pie graph
Working in excel 2003, I have created a black and white pie graph and want to change the fill options for each slice of the pie. Excel defaults are not pleasing to me Hi, You need to select the pie, pause and then select the slice. CTRL+1 to display format dialog. On the Patterns tab you can use the Fill Effects button to select appropriate pattern. Repeat to other slices. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "fish head" <fish head@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCE6DE23-176C-4C33-8F56-C5FF20BB123B@microsoft.com....

Excel Chart #3
I've created a chart in Excel with two x axis', I am trying to add a 3rd data source to plot on the chart, when I add the 3rd source, my second line disappears. Maybe, you have the same problem that Mark has in the concurrent discussion "Adding multiple source data to chart" -- Regards, Tushar Mehta MS MVP Excel 2000-2004 www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA tutorials and add-ins Custom Productivity Solutions leveraging MS Office In article <007601c3aa0d$5d64cdd0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > I've created a ...

scanning bar codes in pos
Is it possible to scan a bar code without having to press the enter key to make a transaction? It seems counter-productive to do it this way Frank, You should be able to program your scanner to add an 'ENTER' as a suffix to the scan. That is the way we do it. Marc "Frank" <nary@ec.rr.com> wrote in message news:1153175013.344333.97120@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to scan a bar code without having to press the enter key > to make a transaction? It seems counter-productive to do it this way > Some scanners require programming to s...

Discounting null entries from Pie & Bar Chart
Hello all, I've got a simple and colourful Worksheet that updates itself live depending on data that is pasted into sheet 2 of it. The thing is, when people are all in it's fine, everything is plotted correctly(http://hayn.gotadsl.co.uk/excelfull.jpg), but when several people are absent it munches them all together. Notice the circled segment on this screenshot below: http://hayn.gotadsl.co.uk/excel.jpg How can I stop that? I just want it not to plot the absent people. --Nick. -- http://www.sendit.com/scp/id/what - Want DVDs/Games? icq: 9235201 -- Hayn on dal.net - Mmmm... choc...

Where is documentation of VBA Chart properties and methods?
Where can I find documentation listing all of the Excel VBA Chart properties and methods? An internet site, or a good book maybe? Thanks. Never mind. I realized that the Excel VBA help file was not installed. Sorry about the dumb questions. "Hmmm..." <blahbla@blahl.com> wrote in message news:1wDRa.106421$Io.9109532@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net... > Where can I find documentation listing all of the Excel VBA Chart properties > and methods? An internet site, or a good book maybe? Thanks. > > ...

Bar Charts #2
I am trying to create a basic bar chart to include 3 seperate cells of information employee name year salar I have been successful in getting the employees names in the Legend corresponding to the color coded bar, the year on the left hand side of the chart (Y) axis but I have not been able to get the salary to show in the (X) axis Am I missing a step or am I just using the wrong chart type Thank yo -Jen Jenn - If you arrange your data like this and make your bar chart: John Smith 1995 21,000 1996 22,000 1997 25,000 1998 27,000...

Copying Excel charts to PowerPoint
I would like to knowwhy some Excel charts do not copy to PowerPoint correctly when using Paste Special, Copy as Excel Object but have to ne copied as a bitmap to be readable. In article <CF42E141-10AE-4123-9C53-AB8CCEDAB431@microsoft.com>, Cheezeman wrote: > I would like to knowwhy some Excel charts do not copy to PowerPoint correctly > when using Paste Special, Copy as Excel Object but have to ne copied as a > bitmap to be readable. Please mention the version of PowerPoint and Excel you're using, describe as clearly as you can the problem you're seeing...

Postal Bar Codes
When i do a mail merge i don't get the option to insert a postalo bar code. I do get the option in word. What can i do. I generally use the mailo merge and use outlook orexcell as my data source. Thanks, Hirsh Hi Hirsh (HLevy@mris.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || When i do a mail merge i don't get the option to insert a || postalo bar code. I do get the option in word. What can || i do. I generally use the mailo merge and use outlook || orexcell as my data source. You would have to use Word. Microsoft Publisher doesn't have this feature. The only postnet ability ...

Charting a line and a bar on the same chart
Hello I need to create a chart which has (1) a line following a daily price, on the same chart as (2) a bar chart which only changes monthly. I can get the bar chart on a secondary vertical axis, which is what I need, but because I have to enter the data for a particular day (rather than the whole month) I get one thin vertical bar which is only one day's width, and then 30 days of blank space before the next thin bar. Is there a way of doing this? I would recommend using a secondary x-axis, and then format the 2nd axis to not display labels or tick marks. -- Best Regards, Luke M *R...

waterfall charts #2
once you delete colors on charts by selecting no color and no border, how do you get colors back in for that selection on the bar chart? Hi, If you are having trouble selecting the now invisible bar try the following. Click on any of the bars that are visible in that series. Then use the right arrow cursor key to cycle through the bars in that series. Once the invisible bar is selected use CTRL+1 to display the Format dialog. If none of the bars are available for selection in that series just select the chart and use the up arrow cursor key to cycle through the major elements of the ...

"Calculate" appears in staus bar
In Excel 2003, what does it mean when "Calculate" appears in the left side of the staus bar. I checked options, and calculate is set to automatic. In most instances, calcuations are automatic. but i have lately had one workbook that switches to manual calculate. But not always. I did open a file that was created in XL2010. But it had no macros. When I see "Calculate" in the status bar, what does it mean? Thanks, Tonso "Tonso" <wthomasss@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:075fbbe4-d91e-405f-a4d4-c5f13ddaea6c@s12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > In Excel 2...

Pie of Pie #3
Hello, a slice of the larger pie of a Pie of Pie chart is set to 10%. This slice is split up into 5 other slices in the smaller pie. Is it possible for these slices to total 100% rather than the total of the slice in the bigger pie that they are linked to. The smaller slices are 40%, 25%, 10%, 10% and 15%. I am trying to show percentages in the smaller pie that represent proportions of the slice in the larger pie. If this is possible, how would I go about doing it. Thanks for your help. David ...

How can I display multiple series in a pie chart?
Here's an example data / chart spreadsheet: http://temp.ancientpc.net/po/piechart.xls Ideally what I want to do is force the pie chart to use the most recent / lowest data series through some way of calculating the lowest non-empty cell location, but I don't know if that's possible. If not, I just want to be able to choose which data series to plot. Even though at the moment there's 8 series available under Chart -> Source Data, it will only plot series 1 in the pie chart. Hi, A pie chart will normally only display a single data series. It can be manipulated to disp...