Microsoft query does not recognize tables in Excel spreadsheet

Using Excel 2007 12.0 SP 2 on Windows XP

I have created an Excel spreadsheet, C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx with two tables:

Table1:
X Y
1 1
2 2

Table2:
X Y
1 1
2 2

Both of these are on the same worksheet, sheet1. The first table occupies
the range A1:B3, the second occupies the range D1:E3.

Both of these ranges have been converted to tables via Home/Format As Table.
If I look up names under Formulas/Name Manager, both of these
table names are there and they refer to the correct range.

ie, I am certain that the tables Table1 and Table2 exist in
C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx
and that they contain data.

With C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx closed, I attempt to query Table1
from another workbook using Microsoft Query. From Data/From Other Sources I
select Microsoft Query. In the dialog box I select Excel Files and Use Query
Wizard and click OK.

Next I select the file C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx and click OK. I then get a
message box saying "This file contains no visible tables."

Does anybody know any reasons why I might be getting this error message?
And the fix? My ultimate goal is to create a small database with a few tables
in Excel spreadsheets which I can query from other workbooks as needed.

Thanks.

You'll probably get a more prompt response if you post to one of the groups
for Excel on the Pc � this is the Mac Excel group. Start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/25/10 11:11 AM, in article
AB3528E1-60B4-4980-9B4E-16BB07C8783D@microsoft.com, "JGPatrick"
<JGPatrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Using Excel 2007 12.0 SP 2 on Windows XP
>
> I have created an Excel spreadsheet, C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx with two tables:
>
> Table1:
> X Y
> 1 1
> 2 2
>
> Table2:
> X Y
> 1 1
> 2 2
>
> Both of these are on the same worksheet, sheet1. The first table occupies
> the range A1:B3, the second occupies the range D1:E3.
>
> Both of these ranges have been converted to tables via Home/Format As Table.
> If I look up names under Formulas/Name Manager, both of these
> table names are there and they refer to the correct range.
>
> ie, I am certain that the tables Table1 and Table2 exist in
> C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx
> and that they contain data.
>
> With C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx closed, I attempt to query Table1
> from another workbook using Microsoft Query. From Data/From Other Sources I
> select Microsoft Query. In the dialog box I select Excel Files and Use Query
> Wizard and click OK.
>
> Next I select the file C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx and click OK. I then get a
> message box saying "This file contains no visible tables."
>
> Does anybody know any reasons why I might be getting this error message?
> And the fix? My ultimate goal is to create a small database with a few tables
> in Excel spreadsheets which I can query from other workbooks as needed.
>
> Thanks.

0
CyberTaz

Optimizing query
I have a query where the execution plan is showing a table scan with 32% cost. I have tried to put indexes on pretty much all the fields and still get the same result. The predicate from the Query Analysers execution plan for this table is: [dbo].[REVIEWER].[EnvironmentID]=[@EnvironmentID] AND ([@NameChoice] IS NULL OR CASE WHEN isnull([dbo].[REVIEWER].[FirstName],'')<>'' THEN ([dbo].[REVIEWER].[LastName]+', ')+[dbo].[REVIEWER].[FirstName] ELSE CASE WHEN isnull([dbo].[REVIEWER].[FirstName],'')='' THEN [dbo].[REVIEWER].[LastName] ...

Help! Excel Formula
Below is an example of data in my excel sheet. A B C D E F Cell 1 ? cell 2 Steve 1 to 10 13/2/04 britain cell 3 Raj 11 to 17 15/2/04 india cell 4 Ricky 18 to 35 14/2/04 Spain Now if i enter a numerical value in A1 (where '?' is), i need a formula which will check the column B and produce a result as desired below Entery number = 9 then print "Steve 1 to 10 13/2/04 britain" Entery number = 12 then print "Raj 11 to 17 15/2/04 india" Ente...

Comparing dates in columns from linked table
Hi, I'm new to Access/SQL and have a problem with a query that I just cant seem to be able to solve. So, I have an Access database containing client number, security name and date, that information has to be updated every month, the source for the update being an excel file that I link to the Access database. But I dont want to overwrite on the existing data so what i wanted to do was add the current month's data, when it's not already in there. What I did was an insert query which inserts the data from the excel file to the table in the Access database only if the c...

Spreadsheet pausing,calculating cells,up2 100%,each input,why?
Hello there, Everytime I input data into even the smallest of spreadsheets, the application pauses, in the bottom left it states that it is calculating cells, then there is a 3 second pause as a percentage rolls up to 100. This is slowing my work down alot, please help me to understand what is going on and how to stop it. Regards Matthew C. You can turn calculation to manual, do your data entry and then turn it back on (or just recalculate when you want). You'll see that excel gives you a warning in the statusbar when the workbook need recalculation. Tools|Options|Calculation tab...

microsoft
weghtgh ...

How do I do dashboard charts in Excel
I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me how to make a start? Thanks and regards Nick Hi Nick, Here are some examples of speedo type gauges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm Cheers Andy Nick Cheng wrote: > I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales a...

Excel cannot find match
Using Excel 2003. Excel cannot find match for data that exists in spreadsheet when using the Find command. Any fixes? Perhaps Excel cannot find a match and doesn't need fixing. Your data may need fixing. Do you have extra spaces in the data? Are you looking for "entire cell contents" Are you looking for an exact match as in case-sensitive? Are you looking in formulas when you should be looking in values? See the available options under Edit>Find "Options>>" button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:02:08 -0700, "GLH" <glhoo...

Field service table structure and field definitions
The 9 SDK does not reference or define the fields or tables for the Field service component. Where can I find this information? I need to move RMA into a data warehouse and am having significant trouble identifying the data flows. Thanks, Will You may want to contact I.B.I.S. They wrote the application. -- Charles Allen, MVP "WS" wrote: > The 9 SDK does not reference or define the fields or tables for the Field > service component. Where can I find this information? I need to move RMA > into a data warehouse and am having significant trouble identifying th...

Accidently deleted rows in Excel.
Hi all, I'm not sure how it was done, but I accidently deleted many many rows in my spreadsheet. I tried undo, but that's not working. How do I get all those rows back? Thanks for your help! Close the file without saving. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Pelochino" <Pelochino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E9F3FA2-E7DD-495F-A994-AF49E57A96CD@microsoft.com... > Hi all, > I'm not sure how it was done, but I accidently deleted many many rows in > my > spreadsheet. I tried undo, but that's not working. How do I...

Excel? #2
How do I print titles on every page of a spreadsheet in Excel? To print titles on every page go to - File - go to - Page Setup - selcect - Sheet - and insert "Rows to repeat at top" the cells which contain the titltes your want on every page Hope this helps "Bruce" wrote: > How do I print titles on every page of a spreadsheet in Excel? ...

importing table data
Somehow we ended up with 2 copies of a database and data was entered into each of them. Is it possible to import the data from a table in one database to a table in another database that already has existing records in it? If so, how can I do this? Thank You, CEV You can link all the tables from the second in the first then run append queries. BUT the problem is in adding duplicate records or overwriting new data with old if records have been updated. If all you have been doing is adding records then there is no overwrite problem. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little ...

Need Query Help
Hi All, I am new to Access. I built a query which gives me purchase orders and payments on those purchase orders. However, the query dpes not give me purchase orders with no payments. I need both: (1) purchase orders with payments and (2) and purchase orders without payments. How do I go about adjusting my query to include both? -- Shirley In your query, select the line that joins your two tables and right-click. That should bring up a context menu with a choice for Join Properties. Select that, then select the option that will include ALL records from the purchase order table ...

Is there an Excel template for a 1-day Tennis American Tournament #2
Am trying to set up one-day American tournament for 28 mixed-doubles' pairs .. Seven groups each of four ranked pairingson seven courts. Is there an Excel or an Access template anywhere for the scheduling of games, league tables etc. ...

Microsoft Promo

Excel #26
I started a new job, and am having to build a call list for potential clients. When I find these companies on certain websites or what not, they are listed on a page from top to bottom, sometimes in the many hundreds of companies in one column.. Here is a link , to a sample of what I am working with . http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhkqFcg9vgGhdGhWSnQ2a01mRzlJVU1vVl9fOHZZYUE&hl=en But Imagine Column A cell values go to A4032, Which is how much information I have to enter. : SO I have list with over thousand company?s names and contact info, But, I am getting company in...

Pivot Tables #11
I have a userform, and it has 2 textboxes, is there a way that I can write a macro that will only display that data on a pivot table between the 2 dates entered in these textboxes? Right now I have the below, but I don't want to have to have all the dates written like this. With thisworkbook.sheets("CARS Survey Results by Date").PivotTables("PivotTable2").PivotFields("Date") ..PivotItems("9/28/2005").Visible = True ..PivotItems("9/29/2005").Visible = True ..PivotItems("9/30/2005").Visible = True End With I would like to ente...

microsoft XL

Button Parameter Query
I am a COMPLETE NOVICE struggling with designing a database... Have Mercy! I need my user to be able to select from a drop down list of queries from which the user can then further choose a a single or combination of 7 regions as the final criteria. I believe I would need a drop down list of existing queries, for example, "All Active By Region#", and then allow the user to choose which region(s) they need to generate the report from a set of buttons on a parameter query form? The reports will provide Region#, Name, Id#, address, phone numbers, e-mail, and teachable qualif...

Excel click through
At work I can double click on a cell that is linked to another spreadsheet and it opens that spreadsheet. How do u turn this on? Does it work in office 2000 or do u need Office pro? Keith -- keithgg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithgg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496590 Try: Tools|Options|Edit Tab uncheck Edit directly in cell keithgg wrote: > > At work I can double click on a cell that is linked to another >...