I want to show chart data in order of bars, not row names

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have sorted the source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and the lowest value items at the bottom.  For example, if rows were Apple, Banana, Guava, Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the greatest value items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1 apple).  Yet the chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either ascending or descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca to Apple).  I want to sort so that the guavas show first since i have the most of them!  Can you help?  Thanks, <br>
hjd
0
hdublisky

In article <59bb5a7f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
 hdublisky@officeformac.com wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
> Processor: Intel
>
> I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have sorted the
> source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and the lowest
> value items at the bottom.  For example, if rows were Apple, Banana, Guava,
> Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the greatest value
> items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1 apple).  Yet the
> chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either ascending or
> descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca to Apple).  I
> want to sort so that the guavas show first since i have the most of them!
> Can you help?  Thanks, <br>
> hjd

Sort your source data by the second column, i.e. the one with the
numerical data in it.

--
Team EM to the rescue!    http://www.team-em.com
0
>  hdublisky@officeformac.com wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 <br>
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) <br>
> > Processor: Intel <br>
> > I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have sorted the  <br>
> > source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and the lowest  <br>
> > value items at the bottom.  For example, if rows were Apple, Banana, Guava,  <br>
> > Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the greatest value  <br>
> > items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1 apple).  Yet the  <br>
> > chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either ascending or  <br>
> > descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca to Apple).  I  <br>
> > want to sort so that the guavas show first since i have the most of them!   <br>
> > Can you help?  Thanks,  <br>
> > hjd <br>
> Sort your source data by the second column, i.e. the one with the  <br>
> numerical data in it. <br>
> --  <br>

0
hdublisky
3/21/2010 6:50:13 PM
hjd  -

In Mac Excel 12.2.4, I arrange data in two columns.

Apple  1
Banana  2
Guavas  20
Oranges  10
Yucca  5

I select the 5 row by 2 column range, choose Insert > Chart > Bar >
Clustered Bar.

The chart appears, with Yucca as the top bar and Apple as the bottom bar
(because of the way Excel orders the data items on the chart).

I select a cell in the 5x2 range, choose Data > Sort > Column B (the column
with the numerical values), Ascending, No header row > OK.

Now the data appears as shown below.

Apple  1
Banana  2
Yucca  5
Oranges  10
Guavas  20

The chart has Guava at the top and Apple at the bottom, as I think you
desire.

-  Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

<hdublisky@officeformac.com> wrote in message
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
Intel I am trying to show a chart that has about 20 values, and I have
sorted the source data so that I have the highest value items at the top and
the lowest value items at the bottom. For example, if rows were Apple,
Banana, Guava, Orange, and Yucca, I have sorted the data in order of the
greatest value items (20 Guavas, 10 Oranges, 5 yucca, 2 bananas, and 1
apple). Yet the chart (a bar chart) only seems to let me display in either
ascending or descending value by food name (either Apple to Yucca or Yucca
to Apple). I want to sort so that the guavas show first since i have the
most of them! Can you help? Thanks,
hjd

0
Mike

Trimming Names
I have a form where I enter first names into a field called, FirstNames. After up-date I would like to trim the first names so that if two names are entered, e.g. James Todd, only James is the defaulted into the PreferedName field. Thanks in advance Nick On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 05:41:00 -0700, Nick hfrupn wrote: > I have a form where I enter first names into a field called, FirstNames. > After up-date I would like to trim the first names so that if two names are > entered, e.g. James Todd, only James is the defaulted into the PreferedName > field. > > Thanks in advan...

want questions

Voting Chart
I have copied the voting information from Outlook and I want to graph the responses in Excel. I know it can be done with a pivot chart, but that is beyond my users abilities. The data looks like this A B Bob Yes John No Bill Yes Moe Maybe Is there a quick and easy way to graph this in a pie? Thanks! You need to coun the number of "no", "yes", and "maybe" Like this in D1, =countif(B:B="Yes") and so on in D2 for "No" and in D3 for "Maybe" Then in C1 type "Yes", C2 type "No", and C3 type "Maybe"...

Outlook rule based on value NOT in name?
Hi, I have a lot of SPAM coming in with the sender's address set to my e-mail address. However, the name is different. I would like to setup a rule like this: If the sender's e-mail address = XXXXXXX, but the sender's name <> YYYYYYYY then move to the junk folder. Can this be done? All I see are rules to look for a string - not look for the absence of a string. I use e-mail to transfer notes to myself and also transfer information between mail accounts and computers, so I do send myself e-mail fairly frequently. I'm using Outlook 2003. Thank you for your time! -...

why does .eps graphics files show as transparent?
using office 2003, and can insert .eps formatted graphics, but all i get is a transparant white box. is there a setting i must change? i have already made sure that the .eps graphics filter is installed in office. any help? thanks. dan m <dan m@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > using office 2003, and can insert .eps formatted graphics, but all i > get is a transparant white box. is there a setting i must change? i > have already made sure that the .eps graphics filter is installed in > office. any help? thanks. Does the graphic show when you...

Changing the order of a chart legend
I have a stacked column chart and would like to reverse the order of the items in th legend table (my aim is to place the legend on the right hand side of the chart so that the key lines up along side the appropriate point in the stack). ...

Sum Cumulative data in SubReport
I'm trying to generate a cumulative report for some demographic data. And I'm Grouping the data. The relevant fields of the tables are: Events Table: Eventid, ProgramArea, ProgramName, (other data) ZipData Table: Zipid, Eventid, Zipcode, count Example Events data: 1, Program 1, Name 1 2, Program 2, Name 3 3, Program 2, Name 4 4, Program 1, Name 2 Example Zip Data: 1, 1, 90001, 5 2, 1, 90002, 3 3, 2, 90001, 4 4, 2, 90003, 2 5, 3, 90002, 4 6, 3, 90003, 6 7, 4, 90001, 5 8, 4, 90003, 7 The report is grouped on ProgramArea. The report should look like: ---------- Program 1 ( other da...

Problems changing x-axis with large data sets
I have relatively large data sets (for example 8 sets of 1500 x/y-values) that I want to plot in one chart. So far all is fine. But if I want to change the x-axis scale (to show the curves better, for example from 0-100 to 20-40), everything becomes very slow. Just to mark one curve or try to move the chart within the sheet can take one minute! If I do the same i Excel 2003, there is no delay or problem. Is there a simple solution, or do I have to stick with old Excel? Excel 2007 is a notoriously poor charting performer, particularly if you customize the scale of an axis. Excel 2007 SP...

I want more!

Crystal Purchase Order
Would anyone happen to a purchase order written in Crystal Reports that they'd be willing to share? Just trying to save some time. It'd be greatly appreciated! I have a crystal reports Purchase Order for Dynamics GP that I would be willing to email you. Steve Berlin sberlin@parkcenter.org "Elaine" wrote: > Would anyone happen to a purchase order written in Crystal Reports that > they'd be willing to share? Just trying to save some time. It'd be greatly > appreciated! ...

Referring to cells by range names #3
cool. half way there. now if i go to another page and want to refer to the cell "a john", bu i want to use another cell to pull the "a" and the "john", how do i d that? let us say that the matrix aboce is in the array a1:d4. th theory here is that i want to create a report by typing john, mary o pete into a cell (for this exercise, cell q5) and typing either a, b o c into another cell (for this exercise, t3), and then typing a formul in cell t5 that references q5 and t3 but returns the same value as if had typed "a john -- rllane4 -----------------------...

sort order flag hard to see
Retail Management System - Store Operations This is a fairly minor, picky suggestion. However, it can be annoying. The sort flag (the tiny triangle) used to indicate which column the lookup is sorting by is too hard to see. It is just a shade darker gray than the header where it is located. Could the symbol be set in a different or more contrasting color? My client has a number of employees who have a hard time seeing the flag. Some of them are not the most computer literate people and they need all the help they can get. Thanks, Claude ---------------- This post is a suggesti...

Scatter graph, how do I show overlapping points?
I have a scatter graph with a number of points that over lap. How do I show them so that the reader can tell there are multiple points. On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, KieranMoran <KieranMoran@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a scatter graph with a number of points that over lap. How do I show >them so that the reader can tell there are multiple points. a) "Jittering", which is the name for putting a small random variation in the data to break up the exact values. Obviously you want it to be as small as possible while still exposing t...

Search Using Address Bar Does Not Work
Hi, I'm using IE8 and running Windows XP, SP3. I used to be able to type a word or phrase into the address bar and it would go to a google search and give suggestions. Now when I type something in it just says, "Internet Explorer cannot display page." Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix? Thanks! Why would you search from the Address Bar instead of from the Search Box? "Angel Fire" <AngelFire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA8D68E5-B72E-4191-ABCB-F1341078EF14@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'm using I...

how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet,
I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not really converant with it so would appreciate any help. Many thanks Denise ...

matching & combining data from seperate worksheets
Hi, I am working on a data import and need to get the opportunity name from one data source into the appropriate row to matching shipments from another data source, I have two matching fields in each database. customer id and part number.. I need to search 2 columns of data by row on two seperate worksheets and return a seperate column if they match. Ex: Worksheet A: Shipment Data, Column C (customer id) & column F (Item Id) Worksheet B: Opportunity Data, Column A (customer id) & column B (Part Number) on worksheet A Column E, I need a formula that will search ...

Text want wrap in text box

graph, data lables value, dont show zero values
Re: graph, data lables value, dont show zero values I suppose there's a question somewhere. It sounds like you need to apply a custom number format. Whatever the format is now (for example, General or 0.00), use it as the first piece of the number format, then leave the other out. So the format will look something like General;;; 0.00;;; More on number formats: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Madeleine" <...

extracting data from a cell
I have this data that stored into several cells and each sell holds a combined 20 data entries in one cell seperated by a space. I was wondering is there anyway to extract that data with out having to rekey the numbers. We are talking about a combined 2000 line items if individually entered. An example is to store numbers 1-100 in to one Use Data | Text to Columns and use the space as a delimiter/separator. Regards Trevor "msam137" <mpsamuels01@spymac.com> wrote in message news:1109702417.132521.302110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I have this data that stored into...

Row Height Adjustment
The row heights did not automatically adjust to display all the text contained in the cell. I can manually go thru the rows and adjust them to display all the data; however, there are too many lines that need to be done manually. I have tried the 'auto' adjust feature, but it does not work. In fact, if I have manually adjusted some of the lines and use the 'auto' adjust, the lines I have changed will revert back to only display some of the info. Is there a limit of data that can be contained in a cell? Has anyone else had this problem? Hi do you have merged cells i...

Want to Add more Sub description Field

deleting a record after copying data
I currently have code in a form called workorders to execute after update to copy data over to a new form called Closed_Workorders. using two different tables (tasks and closed tasks) How do I write the code to delete the record once it is copied. "Thanks for your Support" Here is the code: Private Sub Status_AfterUpdate() If Status = "Completed" Then Dim StDocName As String Dim StDocnbr As String StDocName = "Completed_WorkOrders" StDocnbr = [Log_Number] DoCmd.OpenForm StDocName DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Forms![Completed_WorkOrders]...

Separate Names
Hello, I am importing a file of doctor names into a MS Access 2003 table from a text file. Once I import the names, I want to separate the names into separate fields. Currently the full name is in one field. For example: NAME John Q. Smith, MD Jane Doe, MD, PhD Tom L. Smith, Jr., DO Nancy Jones, MD I want to separate the names into individual fields. For Example: FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME SUFFIX DEGREE John Q. Smith MD Jane ...

need more infomation on scatter charts?
i tried to create scatter chart, but was not able to do becaues of lack of options and assistance. could any one please help me Hi, To create a scatter chart you need a minimum of a set of Y values. Select the row or column of cells and using the chart wizard create a xy-scatter. With only 1 set of values the chart will default to an incremental set of x values ranging from 1 to the number of cells in the Y range. If you have a set of x values as well then select both sets of data. If you have your data in 2 columns the best layout for the chart wizard is Xvalue1 Yvalue1 Xvalue2 Yvalue2...