Find and Replace

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Hi Everyone, <br><br>I have a spreadsheet that has almost 50,000 lines.  In one column, I have a numeric value in each cell (a zip code, 90210, for example).  I need to add the words &quot;Zip Code&quot; to each cell without losing the numeric value.  I do not wish to type &quot;Zip Code&quot; 50,000 times.  I did this once before using Find &amp; Replace, but cannot duplicate it again.  I know its a simple process, but I can't figure it out.  Any suggestions would be great!
0
Historyguy40

Next type Zip code plus the the three numbers if they have to be within the cells. <br><br>I would actually name the column the zip codes are in &quot;Zip Code&quot; (without the &quot;'s)
0
pjonesCET
6/5/2010 12:43:19 AM
Thank you!   <br><br>I tried that, but it did not work.  I remember having to type something to keep the original value, but I cannot remember what it was.  I thought it might be using &quot;$&quot; or &quot;*&quot;, but none of them worked.  When I did it years ago, it was very simple. <br><br>The reason for wanting to add the words &quot;Zip Code&quot;, is that my spreadsheet feeds a FileMaker Pro program.  When I transfer the data, only the number shows up.  Without the words, the values are meaningless.
1
Historyguy40
6/5/2010 1:11:33 AM
You need a "Concatenation formula".

Create a new column beside your Zipcode column (you can remove it later, but
you need it for now).

In that column, in the top cell, type ="Zip Code " &

Then click in the top cell in the zip code column and press Return

You will see a formula such as ="Zip Code " & A1  Note the position of the
quote marks: it won't work without them.

Now, click in that cell, and copy.

Select the whole column (Control + Spacebar)

And Paste.  That will fill the top 1,048,576 cells for you...

There you are, job's done :-)

Hope this helps

On 5/06/10 10:01 AM, in article 59bb9631.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Historyguy40@officeformac.com" <Historyguy40@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a spreadsheet that has almost 50,000 lines.  In one column, I have a
> numeric value in each cell (a zip code, 90210, for example).  I need to add
> the words "Zip Code" to each cell without losing the numeric value.  I do not
> wish to type "Zip Code" 50,000 times.  I did this once before using Find &
> Replace, but cannot duplicate it again.  I know its a simple process, but I
> can't figure it out.  Any suggestions would be great!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/5/2010 3:25:23 AM
> Hi Everyone, <br>
> I have a spreadsheet that has almost 50,000 lines.  In one column, I have a numeric value in each cell (a zip code, 90210, for example).  I need to add the words &quot;Zip Code&quot; to each cell without losing the numeric value.  I do not wish to type &quot;Zip Code&quot; 50,000 times.  I did this once before using Find &amp; Replace, but cannot duplicate it again.  I know its a simple process, but I can't figure it out.  Any suggestions would be great! <br><br>What I would do is (after u take a copy of the data/file just in case) is change the zip code numerics to text, insert a column either before or after depending where u wanted &quot;zip code&quot; to appear, type in &quot;zip code&quot; in the first cell and copy it down 50000 times, then go to a blank cell and use @concatenate function to add the cell contents, drag this formula down for all rows, then finally reorganise the spreadsheet. <br>
Note, concentenate is a text function - look in help before u go if u have not used this before, also be mindful of copy and paste special.
0
Mungo
6/5/2010 3:25:58 AM
Phillip:

Did you test it?  :-)

Cheers

On 5/06/10 10:43 AM, in article 59bb9631.0@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"pjonesCET@officeformac.com" <pjonesCET@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Would the following work:
>
> Edit Menu > Find and replace:
>
> type in say first three numbers of zip codes in Find.
> Next type Zip code plus the the three numbers if they have to be within the
> cells.
>
> I would actually name the column the zip codes are in "Zip Code" (without the
> "'s)

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/5/2010 3:26:19 AM
I dont' think you are using FileMaker correctly either.   In general you
should always keep numeric values numeric.   Tell FileMaker the NAME of
the variable you are importing.  Don't dump text into a numeric field.

--
Team EM to the rescue!    http://www.team-em.com
0

When data is exported from or imported to most any source there is
absolutely no reason why every field of every record need be individually
labeled - in fact, it most commonly shouldn't be & it fouls things up if it
is. I.E., Being stored in a field called "Zip Code" there is reason for each
individual zip code to bear that label. "Only the number" should show up,
but it should show up in the right place - the corresponding zip code field
for each record, just like every other data item (first name, last name,
street address, city, etc.) should map to the appropriate field in the
receiving app. The data shouldn't be "meaningless" if it's stored properly.

Perhaps if you'd provide a detailed description of how you have what data
stored in Excel, the specific means by which you "transfer" the data, as
well as what exact result you need to achieve someone will be able to offer
a more useful suggestion.

On an additional note, the reason I wrote "kinda on the same page" above is
that experience has taught me that whenever possible data fields should not
be defined as values (number data types) just because the field content is
strictly numerical digits. If the data will not be used for calculations
(when's the lat time you summed a list of zip codes or found the sq rt of
one ? :-)) it's best defined as a Text field. Further, if any method is used
to combine "zip code" & "90210" in an Excel cell the resulting content will
not be recognized as a numerical value by Excel, it will be exported as a
text string & will be read as such by what ever program is used to import
it... There is no such number as 'zipcode90210'.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/4/10 9:11 PM, in article 59bb9631.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Historyguy40@officeformac.com" <Historyguy40@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> I tried that, but it did not work.  I remember having to type something to
> keep the original value, but I cannot remember what it was.  I thought it
> might be using "$" or "*", but none of them worked.  When I did it years ago,
> it was very simple.
>
> The reason for wanting to add the words "Zip Code", is that my spreadsheet
> feeds a FileMaker Pro program.  When I transfer the data, only the number
> shows up.  Without the words, the values are meaningless.

0
CyberTaz
6/5/2010 6:57:51 PM
The easy way is to change the format to append the text to the value,
or vice versa.

The custom number format would then be; "Zip code "00000

--
bobg@nospam.com

0
Bob
6/5/2010 7:19:58 PM
{Slap!}  I shoulda thought of that :-)

The "consideration" of course, is that if he then wants to save the data
anywhere else, the text label may not go with it.

Thanks Bob :-)

On 6/06/10 5:19 AM, in article 2010060515195867059-bobg@nospamcom, "Bob
Greenblatt [MVP]" <bobg@nospam.com> wrote:

> The easy way is to change the format to append the text to the value,
> or vice versa.
>
> The custom number format would then be; "Zip code "00000

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/6/2010 8:22:57 AM
> You need a &quot;Concatenation formula&quot;. <br>
> Create a new column beside your Zipcode column (you can remove it later, but <br>
> you need it for now). <br>
> In that column, in the top cell, type =&quot;Zip Code &quot; &amp; <br>
> Then click in the top cell in the zip code column and press Return <br>
> You will see a formula such as =&quot;Zip Code &quot; &amp; A1  Note the position of the <br>
> quote marks: it won't work without them. <br>
> Now, click in that cell, and copy. <br>
> Select the whole column (Control + Spacebar) <br>
> And Paste.  That will fill the top 1,048,576 cells for you... <br>
> There you are, job's done :-) <br>
> Hope this helps <br>
> On 5/06/10 10:01 AM, in article 59bb9631.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Historyguy40@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > Hi Everyone,  <br>
> > I have a spreadsheet that has almost 50,000 lines.  In one column, I have a <br>
> > numeric value in each cell (a zip code, 90210, for example).  I need to add <br>
> > the words &quot;Zip Code&quot; to each cell without losing the numeric value.  I do not <br>
> > wish to type &quot;Zip Code&quot; 50,000 times.  I did this once before using Find &amp; <br>
> > Replace, but cannot duplicate it again.  I know its a simple process, but I <br>
> > can't figure it out.  Any suggestions would be great! <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>
> Thank you very much!  Your suggestion worked perfectly! <br>

0
Historyguy40

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Let's pick a replacement for this (Access) newsgroup 2
There were two big threads on the original 6/1/10 post in the General Questions and New User sections. The gist of the original post was: Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup for when poor-listener Microsoft drops it. Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully replace this one? If interested, please respond to this with your recommendation. Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with your email address at North9000 at gmail dot com and I'll try to collect / send out...

Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change
Good morning, I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a neighboring page. Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of the old data. When I do this the report's left most column field names all change from FieldName to FieldName2. When I look in the drop down box for that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data. I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2 to FieldName"space""space". I can't change to just FieldName because that is already in use. M...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

cannot find database

WinFax replacement
I wrote an Access app years ago for a client and it uses WinFax pro to send out invoices. They need to upgrade but WinFax is gone thanks to the wisdom (LOL) of Symantec. Does anyone know of a good replacement that can be referenced from vba and will allow us to send out Access reports? Thanks, Keith I'm moving this to the microsoft.public.access newsgroup. There's not enough activity here for this to get any attention. If you see this here and have an answer, please answer it there. Thanks. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in messag...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

How do I find the out of office reply?

Advanced Find not finding all
"Advanced Find" in Outlook 2007 is not finding all email messages which match the criteria. It finds between 30 and 200 and then stops. I then have to work with those (e.g., delete them) and then click "Find Now" again to find another batch, dozens of times! What is wrong? How do I fix this and find all messages that match the criteria? My typical application is to split the entire contents of my .pst files by date. Do do this I make a copy of the file. In one I delete all messages older than the cutoff date (e.g., 1/1/2007), and in the other I delete all messages yo...

How to: find reason for rejected messages?
I'm trying to find the reason, why certain messages get rejected by our exchange 2000 server. Is there a way to find out? Scenario: pullmail gets mails from pop3 mailboxes from, let's say "internetmailserver.com" and puts it in our exchange server "intranet.com". For most mails it works marvellous but for some mails it just fails and I can only see (output of pullmail command): .... 1 messages waiting << +OK 8488322 octets Message from: some.user@validdomain.com to: user@intranet.com SMTP message rejected, reply OK Unexpected response rsion:...

Can "Totals" be displayed in Advance Find results?
This seems like a question that would've been asked many times before, but I can't find any reference to is here. Can total search results be displayed in the search results pane? The only reference to a solution for this is by a company in Romania called Creative Software Solution. They have a screen grab at http://www.creativesolutions.ro/img/Customizations-GridCount.jpg. Anyone know how I can make the customization myself? Thanks! Andy. Dear Andy, There are few options. 1. Writing Reports and show total 2. Add Total as custom value and use javascript to add that va...

finding latest hotfix
how do I find latest hotfix for Project Server 2007, Sharepoint server 2007 and SQL serve 2005? For Service Pack we can search using bing or google and find. But not for hotfix. How do I find? Thank you Hello all the latest updates are documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.aspx -- Christophe Fiessinger Microsoft http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie "sgOrchid" <sgOrchid@@newsgroup.nospam.com> wrote in message news:3B51FE4E-ADD6-415D-9771-CCD32A65DF11@microsoft.com... > how do I find latest hotfix for Project Server 200...

find formula and return value
Hi i am using the following formula to find text in a cell =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Super",B96)),"OK", "Not OK") and return a value. i have adapted the formula for another spreadsheet and simply added more values to check, i.e. =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Super""Account""Business:,B96)),"OK", "Not OK") but it doesnt seem to work. where i can see the value in the cell it is not returning ok instead of not ok. is there a limit to the number of values i can search and if so why doesnt it say as an error? what am i missing? Thanks v...

"FIND" bar is broken / missing
In IE8, when I click CTRL-F for the "Find on this page" bar, a BLANK bar appears but no controls on it. I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, but it made no difference. Any ideas? I used to use this feature a lot, so this is pretty frustrating. I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thank you. RecoverfileinRecycleBinwhileinDOS@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > In IE8, when I click CTRL-F for the "Find on this page" bar, a BLANK bar > appears but no controls on it. I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, but it > made no difference. Any id...

find smallest positive number among datas
How to find the smallest positive number among datas in Excel? Try =MIN(data_rng) -- HTH Bob "Cerberus" <Cerberus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8616B833-5582-4FCE-A23C-5F10D577AF63@microsoft.com... > How to find the smallest positive number among datas in Excel? =MIN(IF(A1:A6>0,A1:A6)) as an array formula (Control Shift Enter) Adjust your range to suit. -- David Biddulph "Cerberus" <Cerberus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8616B833-5582-4FCE-A23C-5F10D577AF63@microsoft.com... > H...

Replacing USBSTOR.sys
Is it possible to replace USBSTOR.sys? How can we start developing driver to replace USBSTOR.sys? What are the responsibilities of USBSTOR.sys that must be fulfilled to be able to replace it? > Is it possible to replace USBSTOR.sys? ImagePath registry value. > What are the responsibilities of USBSTOR.sys that must be fulfilled to = be=20 > able to replace it? Conversion of SCSI CDBs to USBSTOR URBs Enumeration of the child devnode for the storage LUN Supporting all IOCTLs the storage port driver should --=20 Maxim S. Shatskih Windows DDK MVP maxim@storagecraf...