Date Formats for Cells Do not match System Date Formats

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have just loaded Office 2008 and then update to the latest update 12.2.4  <br>
I have my system preferences set to Australia for date and time using the date format dd/mm/yyyy. But in Excel when I open the format cell dialogue  and select date the only formats available for selection are in the mm/dd/yyyy formats.  When I checked in &quot;Numbers&quot; the dd/mm/yyyy format is used so &quot;Numbers&quot; is picking up the system preference why not the excel.
0
Hoges

Did you by any chance have Excel running the last time you modified the
System Prefs? Excel reads the International settings on launch, so try
Quitting Excel & launching again. If that doesn't correct it, see if
repairing disk permissions & restarting the Mac will put things right.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/30/10 6:33 AM, in article 59bb9295.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Hoges@officeformac.com" <Hoges@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have just loaded Office 2008 and then update to the latest update 12.2.4
> I have my system preferences set to Australia for date and time using the date
> format dd/mm/yyyy. But in Excel when I open the format cell dialogue  and
> select date the only formats available for selection are in the mm/dd/yyyy
> formats.  When I checked in "Numbers" the dd/mm/yyyy format is used so
> "Numbers" is picking up the system preference why not the excel.

0
CyberTaz
5/30/2010 12:21:08 PM
Yes tried restarting etc. I have two MacBook Pros and both are showing the same behaviour in regards this date format issue.  Also if I insert a date in Word the date formats offered are in the dd/mm/yyyy format etc. So Word is picking up the System Preference Date Format but not excel.
0
Hoges
5/30/2010 12:58:52 PM
Further I just completed a full reset of Office 2008 with no change to the problem
0
Hoges
5/30/2010 1:25:31 PM
would be : dd-mm-yy
0
pjonesCET
5/30/2010 2:40:14 PM
What do you mean by a "a full reset of Office"? If you mean reinstalling the
software, that will rarely change anything for the better & often makes
things worse. It reverts to the version level on the DVD which must then
have the updates reapplied & can cause various bits to get out of synch -
especially if a proper removal isn't done first. The program files are the
only thing that get replaced & they aren't what cause the problems... It's
the user files & settings that need be dealt with.

In your System Prefs, do you have the appropriate 'Region' specified in
addition to the Formats? What happens if you hold Shift while launching
Excel? Also, try logging in using a different User Account. Reply with the
results of each test.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/30/10 9:25 AM, in article 59bb9295.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Hoges@officeformac.com" <Hoges@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Further I just completed a full reset of Office 2008 with no change to the
> problem

0
CyberTaz

filter by date and action

time cell Highlight
how do i make a time cell that is behind Real time of less than minutes be highlighted i know how to use conditional formating but i dont know how to inpu information in time ie: A1= Real time 17:35 B1=17:33 B2=17:25 B3=17:18 in this case i need cell B1 to be highlighted which is behing Real tim (A1) of less than 5 minutes............ -- Pivotren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pivotrend's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27255 Hi u...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

LF displays as square box in cell
I have some cells with text where the LF (line feed) displays as a square box. Searching the web for this scenario suggests that turning on Word Wrap should eliminate this display but it does not in my case. Also, not all LFs in the cell display as a square box and one of my co- workers does not see the behaviour when he opens the file on his PC (another co-worker does see the problem). The text has been downloaded from a SQL query and I'm using Excel 2007/ WinXP. Any suggestions on how to clean up the view of the cells with this text? On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:20:38 -0800 (PST), John <...

What is the maximum text size in a cell
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. How many characters/words Thanx. NED 1451 Hi the max is 1,024 characters. You can extend this limit by entering manual linebreaks withj aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "NED 1451" <NED 1451@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4ADB9C27-1E94-4843-87F7-794177BC86D2@microsoft.com... > Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. > How many characters/words > > Thanx. > > NED 1451 Ned The maximum is 32,767 chara...

IF Function Format -- Microsoft Query
I am attempting to pull data from SQL data table into Excel for pivot table. Field_1 is a value; always positive. Field_2 is a text flag; either "C" or"D". Depending on the flag in Field_2; Field_1 is either positive or negative. What is the format of the entry in Microsoft Query so that a Field_3 can accurately be calculated? In Excel I would entry =if(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1). In Access, the function would be IIF(Field_2="D",Field_1,-Field_1) Unfortunately I have no idea whether it will work with your SQL data. If that fails, you can a...

Post Dated Checks

truncating data within a cell for an entire column
Hi, I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average function to the entire column? Thanks, vlapi vlapi wrote: > Hi, > I have a numeric value in a cell that is followed by a space and then three > alphanumeric characters e.g., -24 dBm. How can I delete the alphanumeric > chracters and preserve the nummeric charaters so that I can apply the average > function to the entire column? > Thanks, >...

How to do a conditional format for multi cells
Lets say based on a value in A5 I would like to change the text format for cells d5:g5 (four columns), what would be the best procedure to do this, can it be done using conditional format if each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 or is there another way. By that do I input a conditional format for each cell d5,e5,f5,g5 (if A5> "xx" then <format>. A big Thank You for all the help. dave Yes, highlight the four cells and apply your conditional format to them all. You will need to use $A$5 as the reference. Pete Hi Pete, This did not work for me. For the "value" I have =$...

Navigating to Referenced Cell
I run Excel 2002 with SP-2. I finally discovered how to move to a referenced cell ( Control +[ ). I saw somebody else do it with a simple double click of a cell that had a reference in it. Mine, however, doesn't work that way (is there a way to make the double click method work?). The real question is this: After I get to a referenced cell with Control +[ is there a way to QUICKLY get back to where I started? Jeannine I'm surprised you didn't try the obvious: <Ctrl> <]> BTW, double click should work if you; <Tools> <Options> *UNCHECK* "Edit Di...

how to save fixed format text file
I have an Excel file which is 269 characters wide. I need to save this file in fixed format but experience line wrap when using the PRN file type. Anyone have an answer to my problem? You might have to use a macro to get the result you want. See if Chip Pearson's text export macro does it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm -- Jim Rech Excel MVP You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,&...

strange date format problem

Rename tab on cell event
Looking for code that would simply, on the fly, depending what was entered in a cell at anytime, any amount of times, the tab name would be renamed to what the cell contents are. I have seen some pretty elaborate ways of renaming tabs. I am new at Excel and any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Hi, Right click your sheet tab, view code and paste this in then every tiome A1 is changed to a 'legal' worksheet name the sheet will be renamed. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo enditall ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value enditall: End Sub ...

How to sort by name then date?

if statement with dates #2

Comment print format
Hello, I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this text embedded by Microsoft? Thanks, Bob Hi Bob have a look at this thread http://tinyurl.com/3xq6h Frank GT40 wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to change the text that says Cell: Comment: > when I print my Comments at the end of my form. Is this > text embedded by Microsoft? > Thanks, > Bob Frank OP wants the printed comments to not show the Cell:A1 Comment:whatever The codes at your URL just change the on-sheet comment format, but the printed ...

Underlined formatting comments in Word 2003
Some days ago I got some good tips from readers in this forum, re unwanted red colored, underlined, formatting comments in plain documents. Comments which I printed, but somehow have lost. These comments have now popped up in some other document. When I am inside this document, it seems as if I really managed to get rid of the formatting comments. Then I save the document in normal way, then exit from Word 2003. Next when I open up the same document, those underlined comments come up again. Feel like a little swearing !! -- ___________ Knut Willy Double-click TR...

Counting Dates?

Same format using =
I have a cell (let's say A1), that is formatted with a fill color, a specific font, and a specific font color. I have another cell (A5) that has the formula =A1. How can A5 have the same formatting as A1 and not only its value ? thnks Stabilo, Select A1 Edit-Copy Select A5 Edid-Paste Special-Formats-OK Hope this helps Pete "stabilo" wrote: > I have a cell (let's say A1), that is formatted with a fill color, a specific > font, and a specific font color. I have another cell (A5) that has the > formula =A1. How can A5 have the same formatting as A1 and no...

Losing formating going from Word 2002 to Outlook 2002
I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I am losing m formating when try to send a newsletter in word using outlook 2002 fro within word. When the email is received, the formating is all messed up. I tried to save the document as a web page and then send it but it i still received messed up. The newsletter is four columns wide, has text and graphics and wa saved and sent as all three different types (RTF, HTML and a norma word docutment) and still not luck. Can any one offer any advise ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.Exc...

An expression for dates from and to