Conditional Formatting "Duplicate Values"

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC.
0
joriep1

Not enough detail to answer.

Basically, you do it the same in Excel 2008 as you do on the PC.  Search for
"duplicate" in the Excel Help and it shows two techniques.

Give me more detail on what you need and we can be more help.

On 6/06/10 12:45 PM, in article 59bb96fd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"joriep1@officeformac.com" <joriep1@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to
> highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not
> been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
6/6/2010 8:18:54 AM
Let me try this again <br>
I use excel to manage pipe ID numbers. <br>
These numbers are received from 6 separate pipe yards. <br>
I have all ID numbers in a column where I want to identify if I have entered a duplicate value/ID number by using conditional formatting highlighted cell rule, duplicate values. <br>
In Excel 2008 under conditional formatting there is no selection for Highlighted Cell Rules, Duplicate Values. There is equal to, greater than, less than etc. <br>
I would like to know if there is a way to identify (highlighted cell) if I enter a duplicate value by having Excel identify this and warn me I already have this value in this column. <br>
On my PC I have Excel 2007 which has the option to select duplicate values. If this is possible in Excel 2008 please advise how to do it because I can not find it. <br>
> Basically, you do it the same in Excel 2008 as you do on the PC.  Search for <br>
> &quot;duplicate&quot; in the Excel Help and it shows two techniques. <br>
> Give me more detail on what you need and we can be more help. <br>
> On 6/06/10 12:45 PM, in article 59bb96fd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;joriep1@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to <br>
> > highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not <br>
> > been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC. <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
joriep1

Finding Duplicate Values in two different spreadsheets
I have two customer lists in Excel.. Column A in both spreadsheets is the customer number.. I am looking for a way to compare column A in both spreadsheets to indentify if there are any duplicates ?? Can anyone help me with a way to do this ? Otherwise, I will have to manually compare over 3000 records for duplication.. YIKES Hi Bill Look on this site http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Bill from CT" <Bill from CT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10603BB3-6948-4A2A-8421-C58BD9437BAD@microso...

StringMap duplicate values
Hi, Someone kown why I find duplicate values on StrinMap Table and It is possible resolve that problem Thanks What are you considering duplicate values? There are several columns that make each entry "unique". You need to include the ObjectType in your join criteria as the same list of values may appear for the same attribute on another object. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Katyc" <Katyc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05C130B7-527C-4F8F-AE91-12C41093D9D2@microsoft.com... Hi, Someone kown why I find duplicate values on StrinMap Table...

Relationships, duplicate values
Hi, I'm getting the common message "The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values...." I think my table relationships are causing this and don't know how to get around. I have 4 tables: tblCustomer, tblWorkOrder, tblClientBuildings and tblClientBuildContacts, the last three are related to tblCustomer by CustomerName(Primary key in tblCustomer). I have a form frmCustomer that has a subform that is a continuous form that is bound to tblClientBuilding. On this subform there's a command button that opens a pop...

Duplicate Values in Query
I have the following code in a query: SELECT qryDisciplineLevelAll.EMPLOYEEID, qryDisciplineLevelAll.SSN, qryDisciplineLevelAll.NAME, qryDisciplineLevelAll.DISCIPLINEDATE, qryDisciplineLevelAll.LASTINCIDENTDATE, qryDisciplineLevelAll.TOTALPOINTS, qryDisciplineLevelAll.DISCIPLINELEVEL, qryDisciplineLevelAll.FROZEN, (SELECT Count(*) FROM [qryDisciplineLevelAll] As [qryDisciplineLevelAll_1] WHERE [qryDisciplineLevelAll].[SSN]=[qryDisciplineLevelAll_1].[SSN] AND (Format([qryDisciplineLevelAll].[DISCIPLINEDATE], "mmddyyyy"))<=(Format([qryDisciplineLevelAll_1].[DISCIP...

Duplicate values
I have a form that a user can select projects from a drop down. When they select an item then a form will appear that has the project linked to a drawing that is related to that project. This works fine. The problem is that the form that has the drop down shows ALL project occurences (100 drawings - 1000 choices). I only want the user to select one of the 8 choices instead of having to scroll down through the 100. I have set row source as: SELECT [cboProject] FROM qryListFrom For the query qryListFrom I have the field as cboProject from the tables that houses the drawings. The cr...

Highlighting duplicate values in a column
Our department is involved in project managing office moves. The moving department is given an excel 2002 spreadsheet and they fill out the names of the people moving (column A) along with their extension number (column B). I would like it to pop up a message if an extension number is entered and is a duplicate of one already entered, giving the person's name it's duplicated with. Any help would be gratefully received TIA Rather than pop up a message, how about if you set the conditional formatting for the cells in column B to highlight if a duplicate extension is entered? Set co...

checking duplicate values on data entry
Dear all, In my table design,Because I need to accept No value , I can not use NO duplicate index for my field , but I shouldn't let duplicate values in it. to develop the need I check the value in the data entry form using "Find first" of the record set. On my own computer it is OK and no duplicate value can be entered. but users CAN add duplcate value.(mine is office xp but some use office2003). what should I check? and if there are better solutions please let me know. tnx in advance. The version of Access should make no difference. How are you using FindFirst a...

Find duplicate values in an array
Hi everyone, 21:00 on a Saturday night and I'm struggling with this! I have textual data in cells C158:L177 Unfortunately these are not all unique values ... I want to get the address of each dearched instance. In cell C179 I want to enter a search text which exists in the data. In D179 I want the address of the first instance, E179 the address of the second etc. For unique values the formula: =ADDRESS(SUMPRODUCT(--($C$158:$L$177=C179)*ROW($C$158:$L$177)),SUMPRODUCT(--($C$158:$L$177=C179)*COLUMN($C$158:$L$177)),4) works like a dream but for multiple instances, i...

Need Help Remove Duplicate Values In Array ?
I have recently found a function on the interent that will remove duplicate values within any array. It works just fine for a single dimensional array but I would like to edit and change the code to work for Multi-Dimensional array to support a minimum of 2 dimentional arrays. I only need it to find any duplicate values within the first dimension of the array and than remove any values corisponding to the same element number that the duplicate value was found in the 1st dimention of the array and remove them from the 2nd and 3rd dimention of the array as well. For example: My...

Conditional Formatting "Duplicate Values"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am using Excel to enter pipe numbers, on my PC I can use duplicate values to highlight the cell if a duplicate value is entered. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to do this in EXCEL 2008 on my MAC. Not enough detail to answer. Basically, you do it the same in Excel 2008 as you do on the PC. Search for "duplicate" in the Excel Help and it shows two techniques. Give me more detail on what you need and we can be more help. On 6/06/10 12:45 PM, in article 59bb96fd.-1@we...

consolidating duplicate values and summing their corresponding val
I have rows of data divided into counties with tonnage amounts in a cooresponding cell. I need to have one row for each county, and the tonnage for each separate one summed. Here is an example of what I mean.... State County Tons Commodity LA ACADIA 1.5 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 21.82 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 0.3 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 414.85 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 9.1 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 2.23 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 38.73 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 5809.16 AMMONIUM NITRATE LA ACADIA 50.65 AMMONIUM NITRATE So it should read: LA ...

hide duplicate values
Excel 2000 How do you hide duplicate numbers in a column of data? Thanks in advance. CW Like with Format|Conditional formatting? Visit Debra Dalgleish's site: http://contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Duplicate If that's not enough... Chip Pearson has lots of techniques to work with duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx CHW wrote: > > Excel 2000 > > How do you hide duplicate numbers in a column of data? > > Thanks in advance. > > CW -- Dave Peterson ...

Determining duplicate values across multiple columns
I have two columns in my Excel file. From a DB perspective let's say I want a two column primary key (columns A and B). I have code =IF(COUNTIF(column_name,A1)>1,"Duplicate","") which will show if a value is a duplicate in column A. If I want to see if the combined values of column A and column B for a given row is unique or duplicated, how would I redo the above code? So basically if columns A and B were merged together into one column then repeat the above compare. Thanks. JR You could add a third column (C) which adds together (concatenates) th values in ...

Can I hide duplicate values in an Access Form?
I know that it is easy to hide duplicate values of a field in a report, but can you do the same in a form? I have a db where I assign different staff members to different tasks on various days. The form is sorted by staff member: can I just display their name for the first record, and leave a blank space for each subsequent record ? Stephen - You can use the form/subform capabilities. The main form would only have the staff member, and the linked subform would show the other fields. You can put the subform to the right of the staff name if that works better visually for y...

duplicate values stoping ALL appends
I am reformating data from table 1 and sending it to table 2 with a button command. Sometimes I need to delete one or two rows from table 2 and table 1 to create a new updated record with the same primary key. I want to rerun the button and replace the updated records in table 2. I do not want to replace all the records. Problem is when I rerun the button I get an Error 3022 and the append to table 2 fails. I'd like it to append the updated records and ignore those already appended. I suppose I could delete all the rows from table 1 after the append. Then when I redo a...

How do you find duplicate values in excel- 2 columns of numbers
I can't find a simple way of comparing two columns of numbers and finding duplicate values in each. I'd like to create a third column containing a list of duplicate numbers found in the first two columns. please post replies to my new email address: rickmanz@frontiernet.net Thanks! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany rickmanz wrote: > I can't find a simple way of comparing two columns of numbers and > finding duplicate values in each. I'd like to create a third column > containing a li...

Removing Duplicate Values
Hello all I have a column of data made up of 100 cells. Some cells have a unique value and others the same value. Using a formula in another column, is there a way I can be left with just a list of unique values e.g. if X comes up 3 times in the original column how can I show it just once in another? I know I can use remove duplicates in excel but I don't want to as I don't want to have to use macros thanks -- James. Hi, take a look to CPearson web http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx at the end of the page there is a link as well theat will ...

can i not allow duplicate values in the same column?
is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? Take a look at http://cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm In article <4765FB37-8F89-4220-A901-B289FDCDE23F@microsoft.com>, excel newbie <excel newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? If the values are typed in you can use this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excel newbie" wrote: > is there a way to set columns to not accept duplicate information? ...

A2002: Duplicate values in autonumber fields !!!
I'm experiencing duplicate values in autonumber fields (PrimaryKey = True, Unique = True) in A2002 database. What's going on? How could it happen? To me it seems as a SUPER BUG which should never leave Microsoft!!! Grrrrrrrr........ Did MS guys & gals test A2002 before they released it? :-( :-( :-( Vlado On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:42:26 +0200, Vladim´┐Żr Cvajniga <no.spam@thank.you> wrote: >I'm experiencing duplicate values in autonumber fields (PrimaryKey = True, >Unique = True) in A2002 database. What's going on? How could it happen? To >me it seems a...

How do I eliminate duplicate values on y axis of an Excel chart?
I've created a simple line chart with smoothing. The chart has two data series. The chart looks fine except that the Y axis has each value duplicated. Paul, this might be due to a number format which shows no decimal digits but a major tick spacing of 0.5. Excel wants ticks at 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3, but the number format forces them to 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3. Change either the tick spacing or the number format to make it right. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Paul wrote: ...

Duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship messag
After entering a new record into the table, the error message, "changes were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship appears". However, the table the new record was entered into is designed to have duplicate values indexed while the autonumber field is the primary key. It is related to a table. The relationship is one to many. The table the new records are being entered into is the many side of the realtionship that allows for duplicate values. Not sure if this is enough information, but any help or insig...

Scatterplot Duplicate Values Charting Help (URGENT!!!) GMAIL invite offer inside
Sorry to be so rude in the title but I'm making a scatterplot in Exce and I have XY values like (1,4), (1,3.5), and (1,4). When I plot the with the scatterplot wizard, the (1,4)s are indistinguishable. I'd lik Excel to differentiate them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'l throw in a gmail invite for anyone who can do this for me. . I've bee using Photoshop to paste numbers next to the points and this is reall tedious. THANKS -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! Excel will do a brilliant job of putting (1,4) in the same place ever time it encounters...

Duplicate Values in the index, primary key or relationship
Could you tell me what I need to do to get this not to give me an error? The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. Change the date in the field or fields that contain the duplicate date, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again. thanks. -- Denise B. Denise As the error message suggests, your table has data that would invalidate a key, an index or a relationship. You'll need to find/fix that duplicate data before re-tryi...

COUNT while eliminating duplicate values
I am trying to get a count for the number of employees in a range but want to eliminate duplicate values. Does anyone know the easiest wa to accomplish this ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip061.htm HTH Jason Atlanta,GA >-----Original Message----- > >I am trying to get a count for the number of employees in a range but I >want to eliminate duplicate values. Does anyone know the easiest way &g...

Scatterplot Duplicate Values Charting Help (URGENT!!!) GMAIL invite offer inside
Sorry to be so rude in the title but I'm making a scatterplot in Exce and I have XY values like (1,4), (1,3.5), and (1,4). When I plot the with the scatterplot wizard, the (1,4)s are indistinguishable. I'd lik Excel to differentiate them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'l throw in a gmail invite for anyone who can do this for me. . I've bee using Photoshop to paste numbers next to the points and this is reall tedious. THANKS -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Two methods employing datalabels come to mind. The first replaces the normal marker with a co...