Chart formatting problems

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Running Office 2008 on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard <br><br>I am having problems with chart formatting (specifically formatting data labels). I've made all the changes I want and I can save the file, yet when I close it down and reopen it, the changes are lost. For example, I've changed the font type, size and color of my data labels and have rotated them 90 degrees counterclockwise but even after saving my changes, the document reverts to Excel's standard font and rotates my data labels horizontally. <br><br>I am actually trying to paste the charts into a Word document. I'm using straight copy and paste because it provides the best resolution (the image is hazy when I paste it in as a picture - am I doing something wrong here?) but of course because the charts are linked, the changes also revert in Word (even if I make the changes from within Word). <br><br>This is my doctoral thesis and I don't have much time to for formatting glitches so close to submission.  I'd be very grateful for any help.
0
Alegria

------=_NextPart_000_01EE_01CABA44.256C2FB0

Hello,
  Sorry to hear about this, but thank you for reporting it.  Could you =
please be specific on what chart type you are using, what file type are =
you saving as (for example, .XLSX), and what specific version of Office =
2008 you're using?  Is it 12.2.3?  (Excel menu->About Excel)  Are you =
using OS 10.5.8 (Apple menu->About This Mac)? Can you reproduce this =
from scratch and if so what steps would you use to consistently =
reproduce this?  I hope your thesis goes well.

-Eric
MacOffice Testing
Microsoft

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =
rights.

MS Mac Newsgroups: http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums
MS Mac News & Updates: http://www.microsoft.com/mac

---
  <Alegria@officeformac.com> wrote in message =
  Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: =
Intel Running Office 2008 on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard=20

  I am having problems with chart formatting (specifically formatting =
data labels). I've made all the changes I want and I can save the file, =
yet when I close it down and reopen it, the changes are lost. For =
example, I've changed the font type, size and color of my data labels =
and have rotated them 90 degrees counterclockwise but even after saving =
my changes, the document reverts to Excel's standard font and rotates my =
data labels horizontally.=20

  I am actually trying to paste the charts into a Word document. I'm =
using straight copy and paste because it provides the best resolution =
(the image is hazy when I paste it in as a picture - am I doing =
something wrong here?) but of course because the charts are linked, the =
changes also revert in Word (even if I make the changes from within =
Word).=20

  This is my doctoral thesis and I don't have much time to for =
formatting glitches so close to submission. I'd be very grateful for any =
help.
------=_NextPart_000_01EE_01CABA44.256C2FB0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16490"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>&nbsp; Sorry to hear about this, but thank you =
for=20
reporting it.&nbsp; Could you please be specific on what chart type you =
are=20
using, what file type are you saving as (for example, .XLSX),&nbsp;and =
what=20
specific version of Office 2008 you're using?&nbsp; Is it 12.2.3?&nbsp; =
(Excel=20
menu-&gt;About Excel)&nbsp; Are you using OS 10.5.8 (Apple =
menu-&gt;About This=20
Mac)? Can you reproduce this from scratch and if so what steps would you =
use to=20
consistently reproduce this?&nbsp;&nbsp;I hope your thesis goes=20
well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri></FONT><FONT =
face=3DCalibri></FONT><BR>-Eric<BR>MacOffice=20
Testing<BR>Microsoft<BR><BR>--<BR>This posting is provided "AS IS" with =
no=20
warranties, and confers no rights.<BR><BR>MS Mac Newsgroups: <A=20
title=3D"http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
href=3D"http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums">http://www.officeforma=
c.com/ProductForums</A><BR>MS=20
Mac News &amp; Updates: <A=20
title=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/mac&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
href=3D"http://www.microsoft.com/mac">http://www.microsoft.com/mac</A><BR=
></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>---</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>&lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:Alegria@officeformac.com&#10;CTRL + Click to follow =
link"=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Alegria@officeformac.com">Alegria@officeformac.com</A>&gt;=
 wrote=20
  in message <A=20
  title=3D"news:59bb37fe.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0&#10;CTRL + Click to =
follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:59bb37fe.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">news:59bb37fe.-1@webcro=
ssing.JaKIaxP2ac0</A>...</DIV>Version:=20
  2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel =
Running Office=20
  2008 on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard <BR><BR>I am having problems with chart=20
  formatting (specifically formatting data labels). I've made all the =
changes I=20
  want and I can save the file, yet when I close it down and reopen it, =
the=20
  changes are lost. For example, I've changed the font type, size and =
color of=20
  my data labels and have rotated them 90 degrees counterclockwise but =
even=20
  after saving my changes, the document reverts to Excel's standard font =
and=20
  rotates my data labels horizontally. <BR><BR>I am actually trying to =
paste the=20
  charts into a Word document. I'm using straight copy and paste because =
it=20
  provides the best resolution (the image is hazy when I paste it in as =
a=20
  picture - am I doing something wrong here?) but of course because the =
charts=20
  are linked, the changes also revert in Word (even if I make the =
changes from=20
  within Word). <BR><BR>This is my doctoral thesis and I don't have much =
time to=20
  for formatting glitches so close to submission. I'd be very grateful =
for any=20
  help.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01EE_01CABA44.256C2FB0--

0
Eric
3/3/2010 4:08:36 AM
0
Alegria
3/3/2010 3:11:30 PM
I wish I had a magic wand here: generally, once an Excel workbook corrupts
itself, it's cactus, there's no good way to save it.

You could try saving as .xlsb format (Excel Binary).  Various complex things
work better (or at least, faster...) in XLSB format.

Failing that, I suspect that the internal object store has collapsed, and
you would need to save back to CSV so you get only the data.  Loose all the
formulas and charts.  Oh, joy!

Be aware when playing with charts that WORD can't do slanted text unless you
paste as a picture (which annoys everyone!). Hopefully, the next version of
Excel Mac will enable Word to slant text.

Hope this helps

On 4/03/10 2:11 AM, in article 59bb37fe.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Alegria@officeformac.com" <Alegria@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thank you for your reply. I am running Office 12.2.3 and OS 10.5.8.  My
> updates are set to automatic so I'm assuming these are the latest versions.
>
> The chart is a basic single axis column graph and specifically the data labels
> in the left-hand column (series 1) are problematic.  However, I have just
> replicated everything starting from scratch in a new Excel worksheet and in a
> new Word document and the problem no longer persists.
>
> I can't believe I didn't try that sooner!  So it would appear one of my
> documents, likely the Excel workbook, is corrupt.  Can you advise me on the
> best way of rectifying that?  Can I simply copy all of the data worksheet by
> worksheet into a new workbook?
>
> My Excel document is the bare basics of a larger database.  I run my analyses
> in SPSS but Excel's charts are so much better (save for the inability to
> create box plots - sorry, just thought I'd chip that in!) so I have a copy of
> my database in Excel.  This has made the document rather cumbersome even
> though I stripped it down to its bare basics (limited calculations) and it is
> only 236 Kb.  I mention this because it has been the problem with all of my
> Excel (and for that matter Word) documents which seem to function poorly
> (slowly and multiple crashes) after a certain size limit is reached, or
> sometimes if I try to manipulate a copied chart or image too often.
>
> In general there are resolution problems pasting or inserting ANY image or
> chart into Word that has been copied or saved as an image in another Office
> document, but I was reading another thread yesterday that explained the copy
> and paste function is native to the OS and not very compatible with Office.
> Copy, cutting and pasting as a picture results in a very low resolution image
> (even when printing) but so far, tests would suggest that copying as an Excel
> chart or a PDF provides better resolution overall.
>
> Probably way more info than you needed - but I would certainly be grateful for
> advice on how to resolve the bug in my workbook.
>
> Thanks ever so much!  After two years on a Mac, as much as I love living virus
> free, the tweaks and bugs (I can't count how many times Office has crashed in
> the last month, let alone last year) is likely to drive me back to a PC...!

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/4/2010 5:14:43 AM
Thanks for your advice John.  I no longer need to extensively manipulate the data in Excel and at this point really only need a dozen or so graphs from the original data, so I'll try to copy each subset into a new worksheet.  If worse comes to worse, the subsets are small enough that I can input the relevant data anew.  Thankfully, as I mentioned the original database is in SPSS, so at least I'm not losing my original work. <br><br>I'm not sure about the slanted text, but it accepts a 90 degree rotation perfectly well which suffices for my needs (I'm just adding the data labels into the end of the bars)... fingers crossed no further problems crop up! <br><br>Thanks everyone!
0
Alegria

Legend on Chart

Control Source Format for rounding
I have a box that calculates discounts or allows me to enter a manual amount. The control source for it is :=IIF([Discount]<=0, [ManDisc], ([DisTx]+[DisNTx])). The last 2 fields handle taxable and non-taxable discounts. The fields (except for manual)are percentages. These work OK, but I need it to round to only 2 decimal places. Now when it is stored in the table, it sometimes has 3 decimal places which messes with the grand total at the end of the day. Any suggestions? Thanks! On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:04:02 -0700, David <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have ...

Demographic chart?

Multiple Selecting Problem
Hi, I'm trying to select multiple accounts to send direct mail to...normally ctrl + click multiple accounts would do this. When I ctrl + click it opens a new browser window instead of selecting another account. This seems to only be problem on my computer. How do I fix this? Check your mouse settings to make sure you haven't changed the functions of the buttons on it -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Dan B" wrote: > Hi, > I'm trying to select multiple accounts to send direct mail to...normally > ctrl + click multiple accoun...

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Conditional formatting in a cell formula
I am constructing a workbook which will hold a full season's fixtures and results as the season progresses. As there are 16 teams in the competition, there are 8 lines per week's results (home team and away team per line). To simplify things, basically this is how each week will look: [Best viewed in a fixed pitch font] | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 A | Home Team 1 | Pts For | Pts Agst | Away Team 1 | Pts For | Pts Ag [....] H | Home Team 8 | Pts For | Pts Agst | Away Team 8 | Pts For | Pts Ag Using Format | Conditional Formatting, I have set th...

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Format of data import from a database
I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter. Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to click in each cell to force the formatting to work? This spreadsheet as over 1500 rows of data. I get this every time I export data from either SQL Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database. Any help or information is greatly apprecia...

Ingenico Pin pad problem
Hello there We have 2 samples of Ingenico Pin pad models 3070 and 3380. My boss has given these samples to me without any other CD or document. Now I am completely confused. I should customize the device. I have downloaded 2 documents from Ingenico website but they don't have the details I need. Does any one have useful documents about the way of the installation the device and configure it? When I connect the device to COM port, Nothing happens.I think my PC can't detect it. Should I install any special driver for the device? Can I develop a program for this device without its SDK? As...

Problem in opening the Connectivity Options....
Using - Wince 6.0 Visual studio 2005. When i click "Connectivity Options..." i get a popup window "Platform Builder was unable to read the device settings from the Datastore" (This is popped up by c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common 7\IDE\devenv.exe I have searched for this topic and tried the suggested solutions such as deleting the folder CoreCon under Document and settings directories etc. But nothing seems to work... Should I have to reinstall the Wince 6.0 ? or Visual Studio 2005 ? This problem started when I had to reinstall the vi...

Date Problem #2
When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest of the dates I have typed in. Can anyone please tell me why? I am using Excel from Office 2000 on XP Home Operating System. If that is referring to the 31st of November, unless there is a new leap year for November, Excel would be confused. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Gary Pickett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A29ECE7C-4333-4D8D-818F-EF29CD835845@microsoft.com... > When I type 31/11/03 in a cell it will not follow the same format as the rest ...

PRINT PREVIEW PROBLEM #3
I am unable to view my entire page when opening "Print Preview." Only about 3/4 of the page shows. HELP!! ...

Chart items moving around

Problem Sending Through Secured SMTP Server
Hello all, I'm trying to configure a second SMTP connector on our Exchange 2003 Server that will allow our non-Outlook users to connect an send mail through, but I've run into a relay problem. The second connector is on its own IP address, has SSL enabled, has Anonymous access disabled, and allows both basic and Windows Integrated authentication. I've allowed the "Authenticated Users" and "SELF" security principals submit and relay permissions. I've also turned off the "allow all computers which successfully authenticate..." option (alth...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

personal.xls problem
I was working with macro's yesterday now any excel workbook i open also opens the file personal.xls. How can I stop this from opening? A If there is a Personal.xls file in the correct folder, then Excel will open it. However, this workbook normally open in hidden mode. Try Window|Hide and close Excel. Does Personal.XLS show its face? Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Andr´┐Ż" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29d5b01c46513$c5b5da70$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I was working with macro'...

Custom Number Format #5
Hey Benjielop, That was fast! I tried the formula (replacing A1 with B4, where the first tag is), bu Excel 2000 gives back an error message pointing to =left*(b4,1)*.... -- Excelder ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Excelders's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27130 ...

Win XP Outlook 2003 Contact Phone Number formats
If I type in 1 300 ........... or 0418 ....... numbers they are entered in plain text without formatting nor hyphens just as I want. When I enter an 8 digit local number Outlook insists on re-formatting it with an area code in brackets and hyphen after 4 digits. Is there any way to stop this behaviour. Placing a _ at the beginning stops the beahviour, now all I need is a non visible _ I even tried unsuccessfully to remove my area code from Control Panel\ Phone and Modem Options Any help is appreciated. Cheers Ian No. Masking of phone numbers in Outlook is hard coded, based on your default ...