Automatically inserting text into cells which already contain text

Version: v.X
Processor: Intel

I need to insert a particular text into the same selected cells in 145 separate rows.  The selected cells already have text within them and I need to insert the new text at the beginning of each cell without damaging the text already in the cell.
0
Lloyd_Hanson

0
TheRedOak
12/13/2009 12:04:26 AM
Not the most elegant solution but if I understand correctly [it's the same
text that needs to be inserted into each of the other 145 cells & those
cells are consecutive cells in the same column] it should work;

Using the example that the existing 145 entries begin in cell A1 & that
column B is available, enter the new text into any cell as long as it won't
be in the way of column B. (I'm using D1 in the example.)

In cell B1 enter the formula: =CONCATENATE($D$1,A1)

Note: The $ is necessary for an Absolute reference to D1, do not include it
in the reference to A1 because that needs to change as you...

Copy the formula down column B as far as necessary.

Note: If you need any characters � such as a space � included between the
new content & the old, just add another argument to the formula, such as:

=CONCATENATE($D$1," ",A1)

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/12/09 5:11 PM, in article 59baee42.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Lloyd_Hanson@officeformac.com" <Lloyd_Hanson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> need to insert a particular text into the same selected cells in 145 separate
> rows.  The selected cells already have text within them and I need to insert
> the new text at the beginning of each cell without damaging the text already
> in the cell.

0
CyberTaz
12/13/2009 12:22:45 AM
P.S. - I neglected to add that if you want the new entries in the location
of the originals;

Select & copy the new data,
Select the cells containing the original data,
Use Edit> Paste Special - Values

You can then clear the cells the formulas occupied.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/12/09 5:11 PM, in article 59baee42.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Lloyd_Hanson@officeformac.com" <Lloyd_Hanson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> need to insert a particular text into the same selected cells in 145 separate
> rows.  The selected cells already have text within them and I need to insert
> the new text at the beginning of each cell without damaging the text already
> in the cell.

0
CyberTaz

OWA- Characters are inserted into Forward and Reply
Recently, When messages are forwarded or replied to characters get inserted into the original message. Non Blanking Spaces for example: &nbsp; ,&nbsp; I am not sure if this is a result of a security update or not, and if so is it browser or OWA. Then the real question- how do I correct it. ...

Conditional formatting in text boxes
I have textboxes on a userform. The text boxes read (and write) to cells A1:A60 Adjacent to these cells I have a comments column which is filled in for particular rows Depending on whether the adjacent cell in column B has an entry, is there a way to make the textboxes change their font attributes? For example, become BOLD when there is a comment. Can anyone help? You should have posted your code..Within your loop add a line something like the below.. Dim intCount as Integer For intCount = 1 To 60 Me.Controls("Textbox" & intCount).Font.Bold = _ No...

Format Cells #9
Is there any way to prevent text from extending into adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) Hi use 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'word wrap' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KPK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:130ec01c4434e$26cd8610$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to prevent text from extending into > adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) We actually do not want the text to wrap, we just want it to truncate. Thanks, Kieran >-----Original Message----- >Hi >use &#...

Inserting a date field
How can I insert a date field into an excel cell. I can do it in Word quite easily but for some reason Excel presents more a a challange. R2D2, =TODAY() will give you today's date, is that what you need? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "R2D2" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1HpHg.16195$Ch.11155@clgrps13... > How can I insert a date field into an excel cell. I can do it in Word qu...

Automatic CC

inserting .dot templates and headers/footers
Hello, I have question regarding insertion of .dot templates in empty word documents. Background: Our CRM software produces new, empty word documents (from normal.dot) when you want to create a letter. We then use the insert > file option to import a ..dot template that will show the exact layout of the letter as we want it. The letter contains headers and footers on every page, and the template is divided in different sections with different footers. When i open the template from word, everything looks fine. When I insert the ..dot file as a template (through insert &...

Automatic axis format

newbie-pls help me with inserting date into editbox in MFC.
Actually i tried to create an editbox in a dialog and then for the editbox i assigned a member variable m_val4 of type COleDateTime,but in the date editbox i need only the date part as it is obvious but the above gives me both time and Date.Is there something like GetCurrentDate(); This code below m_val4 = COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime(); Gives me 1/27/06 2:14:38 PM What do i do to get Date alone and Time alone.Thanx in advance. There are GetMonth(..), GetDay(...), GetHour(...),GetMinute(...), GetYear(...) GetSecond functions you can call on COleDateTime object after you construct ...

msg:"name of imported entity already exists" should contain name
When I import an XML file that includes several modifications like entity renamings(should be ported back to an older setup status), the following error occured: "The name of the imported entity already exists. Please specify another name". It would be more easier to find what entity or attribute can not be added/renamed if there would be a way to configure the system for getting more detailed error information (what entity/ what attribute affected). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To v...

Find cell contents in range
Hi, i am really struggling to create a macro to carry out the following. ( i am quite new to this and presently using a book but things are explained fully!) lets say cell K12 = 2245 i have a range of A2:A50 containing a list between 2220 & 2270 i need my macro to look at the value of K12. Find that value in range, and make the cell with that value active so in my list between 2220 & 2270 is an activecell where the value is 2245 i hope this can be done and hope that someone can help me. Regards, Nigel With Worksheets(1).Range("A2:A50") Set cell = .Find(Range(&quo...

2003 & 2007 Differences in Locking Cells Syntax
The code below runs fine in Excel 2007, but 2003 does not like it. I`m not sure why. It gives me a runtime error and says it is unable to set the Locked property of the range class. I tried commenting out the first line (WS.Cells.Locked = False) and changing the second statement to" WS.Range(Cells(row,col),Cells(row,col)).Locked = True However, this did not help. Does anyone see what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Alan Sub DisableCellInput(WS As Worksheet, row As Long, col As Long) ' ' This subroutine locks and greys out the cell ' WS.Cells.Locked = ...

turn text upside down #2
I develop a fingerprint application on pocket pc and I need to display message during the capture process. So for now I use an edit box but I would like to make a rotation of 180 � to make the message readable by the people whom I capture the fingerprint. Should I just make a rotation of the graphic display, I mean just of the edit box area or is there any other mean ? ...

random text displaying
what i want to do is create a way to make a schedule randomly. i want t put in all possible shifts in a worksheet, then somehow be able t bring them up at random with the rand function and give the shifts t people who are available to work them. i'm not sure if i will be abl to do this solely with excel, or if i will need to use other tools a well. any help would be appreciate ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have the right idea -- use the =RAND() fu...

how to enter a value, and have it SUMMED with the existing cell co
An Excel cell contains, say= 4. How do you enter, say=2, and have the result = 6? (not COPYING and Paste As ...) ...

DVD Insert Template
Like a few others, I would like to create a DVD Insert for the large style DVD case. I know I can create my own using template guides, but I would like to use the "Motion" background template as that is what my CD label is created from. Can anyone help? Thank you! Do you have the Motion template? Can you copy the image and then paste it to your label? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=motion is this the image you want? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kingb73"...

Cell color change referencing the date in designated cell
HI, How can I have fill color of cell change according to due date. In example, red overdue, green - on time, black complete. Thanks, K Use Conditional Formatting. You'll need to determine what is Overdue, On-time and Complete Read up on the help and come back for specific help Regards Trevor "Klonja" <plunti@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a18370dd.0401251510.2f990e0f@posting.google.com... > HI, > > How can I have fill color of cell change according to due date. In > example, red overdue, green - on time, black complete. > > Thanks, K Hi Cl...

Use a cell's value as row number for another cell in Excel
Excel XP: I'm trying to use the values in one row of cells (D1:F1) as the reference for the row value for a different series of cells (D2:F4). For example: Column A B C D E F Row 1 1000 30 170 1 2 3 2 1500 60 190 3 1200 20 175 I want to get the following cells to equal: D2=1000 (In other words: D2 = A1); D3=30 (In other words: F2 = B1); E2=1500 (In other words: E2 = A2); E3=60 (In other words: F2 = B2); F2=1200 (In other words: F2 = A3); F3=20 ...

Selecting cell with mouse
Hi, Excel 2000 I have a spreadsheet that allows me to move to cells locked or unlocked with the cursor but doesn't allow me to use the mouse. I'd thought that the range of what could be selected had been restricted using vba but this isn't the case, I've opened the file and disabled vba and still can't select the unlocked cells with the mouse. If I unprotect the worksheet, then all works as expected. I'm at a loss! Any pointed most welcome. Rob I've never seen excel allow you to select a cell with the arrow keys, but not the mouse. My first thought w...