"Excel Cannot Open This File: Damaged or Modified"

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet all day, saving frequently.  I last saved and closed the file at 3:25 pm, and then went to re-open it at 3:30 pm, when I received this error message: &quot;Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format.&quot; <br><br>I saved the file as .xlsx, and there would be no reason for it to be &quot;damaged&quot; or &quot;modified.&quot;  I have tried several solutions recommended on help forums, including opening the file in Mac Numbers and uploading to Google documents.  Neither worked.   <br><br>This is a serious amount of work to lose!  Please help me!
0
speraino

Restart your Mac and try again.

Chances are, you have not lost anything: the problem is likely to be that
your computer went to sleep and the File Server has not cleared the edit
locks on the network copy so your computer can't open the file.

Never allow a computer to go to sleep with a file open on another computer,
or you get to live in "interesting times".

Hope this helps

On 5/05/10 3:49 AM, in article 59bb7eb6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"speraino@officeformac.com" <speraino@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet all day, saving frequently.  I
> last saved and closed the file at 3:25 pm, and then went to re-open it at 3:30
> pm, when I received this error message: "Excel cannot open this file. The file
> might have been damaged or modified from its original format."
>
> I saved the file as .xlsx, and there would be no reason for it to be "damaged"
> or "modified."  I have tried several solutions recommended on help forums,
> including opening the file in Mac Numbers and uploading to Google documents.
> Neither worked.
>
> This is a serious amount of work to lose!  Please help me!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
5/4/2010 9:35:39 PM
XinXin Liu  <br>
> Chances are, you have not lost anything: the problem is likely to be that <br>
> your computer went to sleep and the File Server has not cleared the edit <br>
> locks on the network copy so your computer can't open the file. <br>
> Never allow a computer to go to sleep with a file open on another computer, <br>
> or you get to live in &quot;interesting times&quot;. <br>
> Hope this helps <br>
> On 5/05/10 3:49 AM, in article 59bb7eb6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;speraino@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet all day, saving frequently.  I <br>
> > last saved and closed the file at 3:25 pm, and then went to re-open it at 3:30 <br>
> > pm, when I received this error message: &quot;Excel cannot open this file. The file <br>
> > might have been damaged or modified from its original format.&quot; <br>
> > I saved the file as .xlsx, and there would be no reason for it to be &quot;damaged&quot; <br>
> > or &quot;modified.&quot;  I have tried several solutions recommended on help forums, <br>
> > including opening the file in Mac Numbers and uploading to Google documents. <br>
> > Neither worked.   <br>
> > This is a serious amount of work to lose!  Please help me! <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
XinXin

"Excel Cannot Open This File: Damaged or Modified"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet all day, saving frequently. I last saved and closed the file at 3:25 pm, and then went to re-open it at 3:30 pm, when I received this error message: &quot;Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format.&quot; <br><br>I saved the file as .xlsx, and there would be no reason for it to be &quot;damaged&quot; or &quot;modified.&quot; I have tried several solutions recommended on help f...