Why is IE8 so slow?

The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download each
page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet explorer.
What causes this? and What can I do to improve the performance of the
internet explorer?
Also, the internet explorer uses almost 2MB of memory both physical and
virtual.
Any suggestions how to plug the leak?
Mona

Mona5728 wrote:

> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download each
> page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet explorer.
> What causes this? and What can I do to improve the performance of the
> internet explorer?

See what happens when you run IE8 in its no add-ons mode.  If that doesn't
help, disable your anti-virus software and retest.  If that doesn't work,
disable both the anti-virus software and whatever 3rd party firewall you
installed and retest.  Only you know, so far, what security (anti-malware)
software is installed on your host or what version and edition of Windows
that you use.

> Also, the internet explorer uses almost 2MB of memory both physical and
> virtual.

That is small and not indicative of a "leak" (which the size would have to
grow without any intervention from you, like continuing to load more pages).
0
VanguardLH
2/23/2010 7:17:16 PM
"Mona5728" <Mona5728@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download
> each
> page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet
> explorer.
> What causes this? and What can I do to improve the performance of the
> internet explorer?
> Also, the internet explorer uses almost 2MB of memory both physical and
> virtual.
> Any suggestions how to plug the leak?
> Mona

Have you by any chance got a large number of sites in the Restricted Sites
zone, possibly from a Spybot "immunization"? If so, remove them (use the
Spybot deimmunize option) as these will cause IE8 to load and run very
slowly.

As to IE using 2MB of memory, what's the problem? Right now my IE8 with a
default start page and a few add-ons loaded uses up around 18MB per process.
I'd be happy with 2MB!

--
Dan

0
Dan
2/25/2010 4:19:41 PM
Dan wrote:

> Mona5728 wrote ...
>
>> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download
>> each page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet
>> explorer.
>
> Have you by any chance got a large number of sites in the Restricted
> Sites zone, possibly from a Spybot "immunization"? If so, remove them
> (use the Spybot deimmunize option) as these will cause IE8 to load and
> run very slowly.

As I recall, there was an update around May-June 2009 that fixed that
problem (with too many sites in the Restricted Sites security zone).  The
patch doesn't mention it fixes this problem but it did.  An MVP might
recall what was the KB or MS number for the update.  If this were the
cause, the user should make sure they are completely updated.

I had the same problem because I was using SpywareBlaster to add sites to
the Restricted Sites security zone.  So I cleared it out.  However, sometime
early fall, I went back to adding the restricted sites (thousands of them)
and did not reincur the slowdown.  Then I found out about some update around
May or June that addressed the problem (but I found no specific mention of
addressing this issue when reading the technical description of the update).
0
VanguardLH
> Dan wrote:
>
>> Mona5728 wrote ...
>>
>>> The issue I have is this: The internet explorer is very slow to download
>>> each page and links load even slower. My pc freezes when I use internet
>>> explorer.
>>
>> Have you by any chance got a large number of sites in the Restricted
>> Sites zone, possibly from a Spybot "immunization"? If so, remove them
>> (use the Spybot deimmunize option) as these will cause IE8 to load and
>> run very slowly.
>
> As I recall, there was an update around May-June 2009 that fixed that
> problem (with too many sites in the Restricted Sites security zone).  The
> patch doesn't mention it fixes this problem but it did.  An MVP might
> recall what was the KB or MS number for the update.  If this were the
> cause, the user should make sure they are completely updated.
>
> I had the same problem because I was using SpywareBlaster to add sites to
> the Restricted Sites security zone.  So I cleared it out.  However,
> sometime
> early fall, I went back to adding the restricted sites (thousands of them)
> and did not reincur the slowdown.  Then I found out about some update
> around
> May or June that addressed the problem (but I found no specific mention of
> addressing this issue when reading the technical description of the
> update).

I had no idea they'd patched it. I've never used more than 1 or 2 sites in
the Restricted Sites zone. Cheers for the info.

--
Dan

0
Dan
2/26/2010 9:34:57 AM
I second the suggestion to disable any add-ons. If you are having
trouble removing any spyware, you could also just re-install IE8,
removing all add-ons.  Sometimes it's nice just to start from scratch,
just make sure you get the latest available updates.
Cheers,
Kyler
IE8 Outreach Team

--
Kyler_IE8_Team
0
"undisclosed" wrote in message

> I second the suggestion to disable any add-ons. If you are having
> trouble removing any spyware, you could also just re-install IE8,
> removing all add-ons.  Sometimes it's nice just to start from scratch,
> just make sure you get the latest available updates.
> Cheers,
> Kyler
> IE8 Outreach Team
>

> --
> Kyler_IE8_Team

Why reinstall IE8 to remove add-ons? If you can't remove them from IE8 when
it's already installed, reinstalling IE8 won't help. Yet again this supposed
"IE78 Outreach Team" knows sod all about IE.

--
Dan

0
Dan

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

a real stumper
I have an issue with an excel worksheet I've created. WorkbookA has "Names" which are used to define drop-down menus in WorksheetA (so my users don't accidentally mistype a response). These "Names" are defined to reference cells in WorksheetB (also in WorkbookA) which itself is populated by a database query, pulling from another Excel WorkbookB. The logic is that WorkbookB should not be touched by the User, only an Admin, and Workbook A is used by User. The Names in WorkbookA are to prevent incorrect entries. Now that I've set it up, WorkbookA is moving rea...

slow emails
Hi there, I've got a strange problem. We are running Exchange 2000 on a Win 2000 server and ISA 2004 on a Win 2003 server. I can send emails out ok but when I try and receive them they seem to take around a day to come to my Inbox. Can someone give me some pointers on when I could look for a solution? Thanks, Steve. This happens from multiple external domains? Check Message Tracking, STMP logs and message header. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com>...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

Outlook slow
Hi all, We have a user that just got a new PC. Now when she opens Outlook (2002) it takes about 30 seconds for it to open her email (we're using Exchange 5.5). It didn't do this on her old PC. Any ideas why it would be slow to load on a new PC but not her old PC? Thanks in advance, Deb Have her go to Tools -> Options -> Other and turn off Instant Messaging integration - that may help. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Deb S." <schmittd@ci.billings.mt.us> wrote in ...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

OUTLOOK continues to CHURN
Recently "installed" Outlook 2007 (along with Office Pro 2007). The only appl that is SLOW is Outlook. The HD continues to Churn - domiant process running is 'searchprotocolhost'. Path File space consummed is in the neighborhood of 1G. (Dual-core AMD machine has 2G RAM). ALL other Office 2007 applications run FAST. When writing a msg under OUTLOOK, screen often lags behind the typing. When deleting msgs, process runs FAST and SLOW, very slow. What am I doing wrong?? Suggestions? Regards, WayneGD I have the same issue (except dominant process is outlook.ex...

DEP and IE8 under XP
After a hardware upgrade (to an Athlon II x2 Regcor 245 chip and new motherboard), I'm struggling with a DEP-related problem. Running XP SP3 and IE8. The new chip is hardware DEP capable; the old one wasn't. The DEP is set to "protect critical programs," if I recall the wording correctly, not to protect all programs. Although the latter setting is supposedly the default, the "critical programs" setting showed the radio button when I looked at the DEP settings the first time. There is only one problem I've found (...my wife has found -- it's h...

IE8 -can IE8 open new tab when click on hyperlink
Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. In order to get a new tab I click control-hyperlink. I want to skip the control step. Thank you. Roxy Roxy wrote: > Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If > you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you > are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. > > In o...

IE8
I downloaded IE8 onto my laptop and it worked fine for awhile but now I'm unable to bring up the browser at all, and consequently cannot get online - even though I'm connected. The laptop is a Inspiron XPS Gen 2 running XP Pro and is tapping the net through wireless. I had just recently downloaded SP3 and KBxxxxxx updates. After that I was unable to bring up the expolrer. I thought maybe if I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE8, it might fix it. When I went to uninstall IE8 there wasn't a remove button in the Add/Remove for it. Has anyone run across this kind of...

Excel 2007 arrow keys VERRRRY slow
I have a file in Excel 2007 (in 2000-2003 format) that has ~25000 lines with 2 columns and NO FORMULAS. My arrow keys move like they are stuck in the mud, and page-up and page-down delays a few seconds before moving. Filesize ~9MB. I have another ~26MB file with thousands of formulas, MANY tabs, formatting, charts, etc. and it functions perfectly fine (as well as can be expected from Excel 2007!!). Any thoughts?? Any settings to tweak?? I've done a disk cleanup with no improvement. I wouldn't think defrag would matter beacause my ~26mb file is fine. -- dh13134 I'll suggest...

slow printing
My printing process has become extremely slow. Please help asap. Chris Hi, Your request is rather vague. If you would explain more about your situation, someone might be able to offer suggestions. For example: What do you mean by slow? The printer is slow, or the time to receive and print the document is slow? What program(s) are you talking about? What operating system are you running? What printer are you using? What changed on your system between the time it was not slow and now? Does this impact only Office programs or any program in Windows (assuming you're usin...

Exchange very slow over high latency networks
Attachment downloads from an Exchange server to a PC using IMAP is very slow. A network trace shows that Exchange sends bursts of data (8KB or about 5 TCP packets) then sits and waits for the TCP ACKS before sending any more data. This is blocky and slow as the ACKs take a while to get back to Exchange due to the high latency. So attachment downloads are very slow compared with protocols that send lots of data packets (FTP, HTTP) and use the TCP window size. Does anyone know about this - a fix to Exchange would be ideal? Exchange Version is 2000. I of course meant MAPI not IMAP... nick...

MS Outlook 2003 very slow
Hi I am having a problem with opening Outlook 2003, it opens very slow like it is freezing up. Tried restarting, has Office 2003 SP2 installed. There are no Antivirus scanning or backgrounbd services. I am having the problem just with Outlook and not the other Office 2003 Programs. Please Help try outlook /safe if it works diable any addins associate with outlook "Chris" <chrisnews@actionprgroup.com> wrote in message news:O%23yoikpQGHA.5248@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I am having a problem with opening Outlook 2003, it opens very slow like > it > is ...

Preview Pane Slow
When I click on an email message in Outlook, it sometimes takes 5-10 seconds to display the message in the preview pane. It used to be instant. I am using Outlook 2002. Any advice is appreciated. ...

WIN X Sp2 IE8.0 killed by CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE and or ? Cant get IE8 to access the web
Tonite, I Contracted 39 versions of what SuperAntiSpyware calls: ROGUE.AGENT/GEN in my Registry HKUS\S-1-5-21 (see below) etc (in 39 different file endings) and TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-FakeSpy[Broad] 3 copies 1. in HKUS\S-1-5-21-2952124706-32014773-2762605872-1007Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(jdfecxfs- C:\Documentsand Settings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\ubqllk\cpxrsysguard.exe and The other two in C:\ DocSettings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData where it again opened a Folder named UBQLLK and inserted 2 copies of CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE It beg...

Problem deleting ie8 history
Hi i am using IE8 on Windows XP. I am having problems deleting history. When i go to Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete i tick all boxes except Cookies and Passwords and hit Delete. This deletes all my history. When i go to the History tab, it has all gone. When i go to my file system to Local Settings/History it has also gone. Fine so far. However, if i now go to the address box and start typing "www", a whole bunch of History headed and Favourites headed entries appear in the dropdown as suggestions. Favourites i would expect, history i...

Excel Slow after print setup??
Hello I am using Excel 2003. When I open a spread sheet I can d anything at a very quick response. But, as soon as I go into prin setup and update ANYTHING in the print setup - then excel becomes ver slow. Anyone have any ideas whats going on here -- cbecke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cbecker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2586 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39249 cbecker, Possibly a few thoughts. Save your file(s), shut-down and re-boot. Better? Have you be...

Slow Opening Emails
I'm using Outlook2000, and for some reason some of my emails, whe double clicked, will hang when opening. It seems to be random ones. Have done the usual virus scan and spyware scan. Cleaned it up, but i still seems to be happening. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Ethan -- EthanIR ----------------------------------------------------------------------- EthanIRG's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=98 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187040808 Hello! I'm having the same problem. I'm using Outlook 2003 and it's ver slow on o...

File running slow!
I have a excell file which has alot of "SUMPRODUCT" formulas. I know using this formula slows down the calculation by quit abit.....so I have been told! Is ther anything I can do....ie use a different formula, to speed the calculations? Tell us what you use the SUMPRODUCT formulas for, so we can think about possible other solutions.... -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "hoyos" <hoyos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48E44CA3-FD17-48B5-A507-68AC00A704D2@microsoft.com... >I have a excell file which has alot of &...

Outolook 2003 is slow when answering message
Hello, I have a problem with Outlook 2003 SP2 when i receive a message and push answer button it takes about 30 seconds to load.How can i do to resolve the problem? If i push new message or forward loading is fast. Thanks Are you using Word or Outlook as the email editor? Does changing it to the other make a difference? Also, apply Service Pack 3 and additional for Office 2003 to make sure we are not trying to fix an already solved bug. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, D...

IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8
IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8 and then re-install. Favorites will not open after installing then removing IE8 beta in IE... The favorites appear as normal in the toolbar, but none of the links work. Import does not work either from previous IE8 bookmark.htm save..."some items not imported correctly" also, did IE8 default reset from TOOLS, ADVANCED, RESET and that did not work either. Import of bookmark.htm into CHROME , FIREFOX and OPERA worked just fine...even tried exporting from these browsers and then inporting into IE8, no-go... ...