Trying to create an RSS feed, but XML page doesn't format in IE

I'm trying to learn how to create an RSS feed  to distribute podcasts.

After encountering a problem, for testing purposes, I cut the entire source
code from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml into a text file.

Here's the rub, underlying the problem I was experiencing with my earlier
attempt:

    When http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml is displayed in the browser
by branching to it , it displays a nice, formatted display that is the
familiar 'feedy' looking page.

When 'same' code  pasted into an empty text file is opened in IE, it
displays as raw xml. No feeds are recognized on the page, as indicated by
the 'dimmed' RSS feed button on the toolbar.

Can someone explain, please.

0
Steve

Try posting here instead:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/category/iedevelopment/

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Steve Rosen wrote:
> I'm trying to learn how to create an RSS feed  to distribute podcasts.
>
> After encountering a problem, for testing purposes, I cut the entire
> source
> code from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml into a text file.
>
> Here's the rub, underlying the problem I was experiencing with my earlier
> attempt:
>
>    When http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml is displayed in the
> browser
> by branching to it , it displays a nice, formatted display that is the
> familiar 'feedy' looking page.
>
> When 'same' code  pasted into an empty text file is opened in IE, it
> displays as raw xml. No feeds are recognized on the page, as indicated by
> the 'dimmed' RSS feed button on the toolbar.
>
> Can someone explain, please.

0
PA
11/18/2009 10:15:43 PM
"Steve Rosen" <steverosen13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to learn how to create an RSS feed  to distribute podcasts.
>
> After encountering a problem, for testing purposes, I cut the entire
> source code from http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml into a text file.
>
> Here's the rub, underlying the problem I was experiencing with my earlier
> attempt:
>
>    When http://www.democracynow.org/podcast.xml is displayed in the
> browser by branching to it , it displays a nice, formatted display that is
> the familiar 'feedy' looking page.
>
> When 'same' code  pasted into an empty text file is opened in IE, it
> displays as raw xml. No feeds are recognized on the page, as indicated by
> the 'dimmed' RSS feed button on the toolbar.
>
> Can someone explain, please.

The RSS feed button is dimmed when viewing an XML file anyway - check your
first link, you'll see it's the same. The RSS button is only activated when
you are viewing a HTML/XHTML page that contains one or more <link
rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" ...> tags that reference an RSS
feed URL.

As to the formatting when viewing as a local file, that's by design I'm
afraid. As the file does not have a Content-Type header defining it as MIME
type application/rss+xml, IE8 assumes that it's just "plain" XML and doesn't
parse it as RSS feed content.

--
Dan

0
Dan

Quick creating of an account
I am trying to customize the form Quick creating of an account. But I can`t find the correct form. Does anyone know where I can find it? I have been in Account in Customize Entities without any result... In my experience there is no way how to do this, but if anyone had an idea (supported or not) let me know. Regards -- if it all works without errors then where is the challange? "Martin" wrote: > I am trying to customize the form Quick creating of an account. But I can`t > find the correct form. Does anyone know where I can find it? > I have been in Account in Custo...

trying this out
This is a test posting. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:06:51 +0800, "hmmmm" <bobo123@dotdot.dyndns.org> wrote: >This is a test posting. > Please use microsoft.public.test or microsoft.public.test.here for your testing. This is a working newsgroup. If you have questions about an Access database, please post them. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

I am trying to round up to the nearest 25 cents
I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps rounding to the nearest dollar HELP Try =CEILING(A1, 0.25) In article <2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com>, sypher <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps > rounding to the nearest dollar HELP =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4 -- HTH Bob Phillips "sypher" <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to round a mone...

Is a XML file Does not Support XSL and XSD operation together.
Dear Experts, Check out the following XML, XSl and XSD document. If i use XML file without XSD defination it applies XSL style and If i include the XSD document. Nothing is getting displayed in the browser. Is that mean XSL and XSD can not be apply together on a XML file. ? or I am doing something wrong ? Thanks Samir --- ---- XML Document --------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="ch_5_NewsPaper_Style_1.xsl"?> <!-- <NEWSPAPERDATA xmlns="http://tempuri.org/ch_5_NewsPaper_Styl...

Creating New Message Problem
When creating a new Message in Outlook 2003 and clicking on "To" all the field are blank. It doesn't show any Folders or contacts in the "Show Names from" drop down box. If I go to the Contacts area and select a contact I can send them a message no problem. I am using the older style of .PST file if that has any bearing. Perhaps you have failed to to select the option in Contact properties to show as an Outlook address book If by older style pst you mean one created in an earlier version, why have you not created a new unicode pst that doesnt have the size limitat...

exporting report to 1 html page
I have a report that when run shows our current open positions. I can choose to export the report in html format, however it does so and makes 3 different html files, one per page. I want to put the html file in our web-site via Dreamweaver so I want it to create just one file with all the listings instead of one file per page. How can I do this? Thanks, CEV Hello Chad, As far as I know, this feature is not available. Please rest assured that your feedback on this feature is routed to the proper channel. Also, you may want to consider SQL Server Reporting Service. You could use ...

Page Setup
Is it possible to have portrait and landscape pages within the same Visio file? Every time I change the layout for one page it changes them all. I am runing Visio 2000 under NT4. Thanks, Andy Yes. IIR UML diagrams don't like doing this but otherwise it's easy. When you insert a new page the Page Setup dialog will come up. Select the Page Size tab, custom size option button, then select page orientation. "Andy Saltiel" <Andy.Saltiel@atosorigin.com> wrote in message news:09b301c35ceb$7c95d510$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have portrait and landscape...

Trying to clear up Received but not invoiced report
I am trying to clean up the received not invoiced items. The problem began with entering a purchase order and then not matching the invoice to the items received agaisnt the purchase order. SO we thought that doing a returned transaction entery would solve the problem. The only thing is now the return shows up on our Received/ Not invoiced report. And the report is becoming a huge mess and difficult to use. What is the best way to clear up items that have been received but were not matched and already paid through the invoice entery? There is a knowledgebase article on this very thing av...

send/receive (2nd try)
New computer. Microsoft XP Home. Microsoft Office XP Small Business 2002. Earthlink dial-up account. Two e- mail accounts. After opening Outlook, 1st send/receive (option 3, all accounts) usually prompts for both passwords, downloads messages, all good. Next time, though, no prompt for account 2, error cannot connect to server, account 1 usually gets messages. Every five minute send/receive option eventually degenerates to cannot connect to server errors for both accounts. Meanwhile internet browsing slows to a crawl. Any ideas? ...

How do I format charge card numbers? #2
I want to format cells to accept charge card numbers with the spaces. Hi with the selected cell, right click, select Format Cells, select custom, and enter "0"'s where you want digits, and spaces where you want spaces, eg"0000 0000 0000 000". While when entering it will not have spaces, it will enter correctly. "tspraetz" wrote: > I want to format cells to accept charge card numbers with the spaces. Kassie, I did that, but for some reason it changes the last digit to a zero. "Kassie" wrote: > Hi > > with the selected cell, r...

How to send email after entry from data access page
I hope this is an easy one, but i am not a programmer. I got volunteered for this because i built an inventory database. Access 2003I have a simple referral table that i have linked to an "Input" page for people to enter records (including a drop down list of email addresses). And an "Output" page where pepole can come and edit. That part seems to be working fine.I need to have an email sent out when a new record is posted. Ideally, i would like it to be sent out based on who is selected in that email list, but i would settle for anything at this point.Thank you in adv...

How do I cancel a msg Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully?
How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully due to a huge email message I tried to send with way too many attachments? It's stuck in "send" mode, and as a result, I can't send any emails because Outlook cannot get past trying to send this message. How do I cancel a pending outbox transmission while it's trying to send? I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help! Angelczech wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:32 > How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send ...

How do I create a windows form that is an ellipse
Hi! Normally when you create a form it's shape is a rectangle. Now I want to create a windows form that is not a rectangle but an ellipse instead I wonder if anyone have some good example of code where this is done. //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> wrote in message news:ec84YWZ0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > Normally when you create a form it's shape is a rectangle. > Now I want to create a windows form that is not a rectangle but an ellipse > instead > I wonder if anyone have some good ex...

Changing Calender Format
I am new to Outlook 2007. The bubbles around the appointments in the the on-screen month version of the day/week/month view consume a lot of space. at the default 8 point font, 3 appointments are the maximun that will show up on within the box for a day. The 2003 format (without bubbles) allowed more appointments to show for the same screen space. Does anyone know how to turn the bubbles off? ...

trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode
Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue! I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word? thanks Greg One of these 1) format the cells with custom format 00000 2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes 3) format the cells as Text 4) begin all zip codes with an sin...

Dynamically creating entries in worksheets
Is it possible to dynamically create entries in a worksheet based on th entry in another worksheet? If so, can you point me in the righ direction. Thanks in advance -- kyoshid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kyoshida's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3167 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51371 This formula, in a cell in Sheet2, will return the value in cell A1 of Sheet1.... =Sheet1!A1 HTH Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "kyoshida" wrote: > > Is it po...

error message when trying to delete messages in inbox
I cannot delete messages in my email inbox. When attempting to delete messages, Outlook says "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. I continue to get the message even though I restarted Outlook. My mail works fine, but I just cannot delete anything. Does someone know a solution? Can you delete them if you hold shift as you delete? How many items are in the deleted items folder? Are you using any type of AV scanner on the message store? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coa...

Creating lables in Excel
if I have a database created in Excel with Names, address, ect. can you create lables for mail outs like in Word? Excel alone is poorly suited for creating labels. Use Word's mailmerge with Excel or Access as the data source. Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these sites for help. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:35:01 -0700, Jessgolden143 <Jessgold...

Creating a template
I am trying to create an HTML template with the subject line of: CSA and SEL HEALTH REPORT =date() and the message text of: Inventory health as of =date() is attached. I need my signature included as well. I do not know much about Outlook. The reason the template needs to be HTML is because I am trying to use the SendObject command in Access. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

how do I create more than 266 columns in an excel sheet?
My excel sheets have by default up to column IV (aprox. 266 columns). I need to insert more than this and also have problems with the option of "grouping" columns. When I have most of 266 columns in use and several "groupings", when I try to minimise them all (one by one), after a few, appears a warning pop up messge with a message "objects cannot be moved outside the sheet" and the action cannot be done (cannot mimise that group of columns and not anymore until I expand/ungroup others). The number of columns is limited to 256 columns. This cannot be incr...

Try or TRY
Hello, Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? Thanks, JSmith "JSmith" <jsmithmitra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23G1sOVdoEHA.692@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > Hello, > > Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead > of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_exceptions.3a_.converting_from_mfc_exception_macros.asp -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] FYI, TRY ...

how to create a Lineweaver-Burke graph in Excel
I have to create a graph of enzyme inhibition values and I was told to use Lineweaver-Burke graph for this. the closest thing i have found is found here http://www.usm.maine.edu/~rhodes/Goodies/EnzKinNsr.html. yet i cant figure out how to plot. Create a column of the value "S" Create a column of Vo for experiment 1. Create a column of Vo for experiment 2, etc. Create your X values as 1/S. To be consistent with this example, make sure your units are the same. Calculate Y1 from Vo experiment 1 Calculate Y2 from Vo experiment 2. Start on that and come back when you have tha...

Creating combo boxes
This is how I have my spreadsheet set up: in Sheet 1, the leftmost row has every date between 7-1-06 and 6-30-07 in descending order, with the corresponding day of the week next to the dates. Columns to the right of this have numeric information pertaining to this date/day. I would like to make a combo box that has me select a day of the week, searches the spreadsheet, finds info for the dates that have that corresponding day, and pastes those rows of data on Sheet 2, where the combo box is kept. Assistance is appreciated. Thank you! >Columns to the right of this have >numeric ...

Problem trying to export e-mail messages
When I go into Windows Mail and export my messages, the export completes but then I go and the folders don't match my existing e-mail folders. There are folders showing which I had deleted months ago. Could it be a corrupt file? How can I just transfer the e-mail messages I need to a new PC with Windows 7? Thanks> Windows Mail uses internal mail folder names that may not correspond exactly to the folder name in the user interface. What are you doing with your Windows Mail messages in Windows 7? Windows Mail was not designed to run on Windows 7. --=20 Gary VanderMole...