running Flash using IE8 on x64 system

I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).  I
will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.

By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
system.  I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will
install IE8 on my system.  Does the windows update install both the x32
(Program Files x86 directory)  and x64 (Program Files directory) version of
IE8?  If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the
Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version.  I know flash
doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get the x32 version
of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
software to use?  I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had bad
luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

Thanks.

0
Dwayne

"Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2
> 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).  I will running XP Pro x64
> Edition with Service Pack 2.
>
> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system.  I am
> going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system.
> Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory)  and x64
> (Program Files directory) version of IE8?  If that is correct, then I can just create a
> shortcut to IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version.  I
> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get the x32 version
> of IE8 on my system and use that browser.

The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS.  You don't have to make any changes unless
you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.

> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus software to use?
> I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had bad luck with those
> programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.

I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials.  It actually detected viruses (virii?)
that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.

Tom Lake

0
Tom
3/19/2010 3:34:16 PM
Tom,

Where can I download Microsoft's free Security Essentials anti-virus
software?

Thanks.

"Tom Lake" <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dwayne" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
>> system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).
>> I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
>> system.  I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which
>> will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the
>> x32 (Program Files x86 directory)  and x64 (Program Files directory)
>> version of IE8?  If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to
>> IE8 in the Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version.  I
>> know flash doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get
>> the x32 version of IE8 on my system and use that browser.
>
> The default IE is 32-bit even on a 64-bit OS.  You don't have to make any
> changes unless
> you want the 64-bit browser to be the default.
>>
>> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
>> software to use? I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had
>> bad luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.
>
> I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials.  It actually detected viruses
> (virii?)
> that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.
>
> Tom Lake

0
Dwayne
3/19/2010 4:26:16 PM
[Crosspost to Win 64-bit General newsgroup]

> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
> system.

By default, IE6 will be installed (unless IE7 was OEM-preinstalled).

> I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will
> install IE8 on my system.

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d044402c-84ce-472e-b3ac-9531f4feef47
[1]

Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When you're prepared to
install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.  If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.  [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700.  Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations.  Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB978207).  If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

> Does the windows update install both the x32
> (Program Files x86 directory)  and x64 (Program Files directory) version
> of
> IE8?

If you install IE8 via WU or use the correct installer when installing
manually, yes.

> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
> software to use?

Microsoft Security Essentials (free)
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx

===============
[1] NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
computer when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows
is reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP x64 SP2 to be installed).

     Norton Removal Tool
     ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

     McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
     http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Dwayne wrote:
> I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit
> system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory).  I
> will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2.
>
> By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my
> system.  I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will
> install IE8 on my system.  Does the windows update install both the x32
> (Program Files x86 directory)  and x64 (Program Files directory) version
> of
> IE8?  If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the
> Program Files x86 directory which would be the x32 version.  I know flash
> doesn't work on the x64 version, so I want to correctly get the x32
> version
> of IE8 on my system and use that browser.
>
> Also, I was interested in any suggestions and opinions on anti-virus
> software to use?  I've have used McAfee and Norton in the past, but had
> bad
> luck with those programs...i.e. they both were resource hogs.
>
> Thanks.

0
PA
3/19/2010 5:26:10 PM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:34:16 -0400, "Tom Lake"
<toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials.  It actually detected viruses (virii?)
>that Norton and Anti-Vir missed.

viruses
0
Bob

Using Defined Names in Charts
I am using Office 2002. I am trying to create a chart that has only one Series called Data. The values for DATA is a name called SCROLL_DATA. The name has been defined using the Insert-Name-Define action. The workbook is called Quality Escapes.xls I have entered the following in the values box as I have seen many instruction as follows =Quality Escapes.xls!SCROLL_DATA What am I doing wrong. -- bobburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bobburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22006 View this thread: http:/...

USE of system.xml.xpath
Hi Friends, When we need the xpath namespace as we can traverse the xml document using xmldocument object like using selectSingleNode or selectNodes methods. In system.xml.xpath namespace we have to use XPathNavigator , XPathExpression , XPathNodeIterator class to get the same result what we get it thru selectNodes ....and that too iterator can be traversed in forward direction only. Please tell me the usage of system.xml.xpath other than performance. Enjoying XML..... Alpha --- Posted using Wimdows.net NntpNews Component - Posted from .NET's Largest Community...

How do I use the "More Details" in a newsletter? #2
In Publisher 2003, you can create emails directly. The templates have a place for a short intro to an article with a place to click to get the rest of the article. How do I use that feature? The "More Details" is no doubt an area where you add a hyperlink to a place where folks can get more details. Send e-mail http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524821033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8198CBA9-E37C-48F3...

Transparent bitmap in system context menu
Hi. My application adds it's menu to the system context menu. How can I make it's bitmap transparent? 'SetMenuItemBitmaps' function doesn't take a mast for the bitmap. Thanks in advance Martin "Martin" <martin-g@mail.ru> wrote in message news:1174642958.411429.136360@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > My application adds it's menu to the system context menu. How can I > make it's bitmap transparent? 'SetMenuItemBitmaps' function doesn't > take a mast for the bitmap. White areas on a bitmap used by SetMenuItemBitmaps are d...

Do you use Pivot Table
I found Pivot Table is very handy but would you have users see Pivot Table instead of forms? Should I look for codes that will do the drag and drop? Experts, what are your suggestions? Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com hi, accessuser via AccessMonster.com wrote: > I found Pivot Table is very handy but would you have users see Pivot Table > instead of forms? Should I look for codes that will do the drag and drop? > Experts, what are your suggestions? Users which understand a pivot table, are normally fit in Execl. So exporting the raw data to Excel w...

Need only one DLL instance to run...

System Error when opening Excel 2007
A client is receiving this error "system Error &H80004005(-2147467259)" in excel 2007 when opening a new file or an exisiting file. This error came up after visio 2003 was uninstalled and visio 2007 got installed on his system. This error can be a lot, and I looked a bit around where they say it might be something with memory. But then I wonder why he never gave this error before untill visio 2007 got installed. Any help is welcome and I would be very thankfull to those who can help me in this issue. Greetz ...

Automatically run macro

How can I get my ABC spellchecker to use UK English
I am preparing a large commercial brochure in the UK and the spellchecker refuses to change from English US, which as we know is totally different to English UK.. any ideas please. I have tried resetting it but I still get told to change my 's' to 'z'!! Thanks This based on the Help from Publisher 2000. In the Help Answer Wizard look for "spell checker". The "Tip" section of the answer is, The English (U.S.) version of Microsoft Publisher 2000 comes with proofing tools for English. To check spelling in other languages, use the Microsoft Office 2000...

run time error 10-22-03

Mail Merge using Access then save as PDF
In my organization, we send out letters by the thousands, ususally about 500 at a time, due to the time constraints of the current method. Currently, we process the database, which places the letter contents in a table called Archives. Then we open the Merge Template Word document, and process the mail merge to print each individual letter. Next we have to save each individual letter as a PDF file (Acrobat 8.2 Installed) for record keeping and quality assurance. What we'd like to do is find a way that this can all be done from within Access programmatically. Referen...

Excel Continuous Running Total

Using Catalog Merge
I'm using catalog merge to create a directory from an excel spreadsheet. The phone numbers in the spreadsheet are using the special cell formatting for phone numbers. is there a way to bring this formatting into publisher? Right now the phone numbers are merging into the directory as 1234657890 instead of (123)456-7890 -- Sharon Format the field in Excel as text... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Sharon" <srichardson@parkcrest.org> wrote in message news:947260D7-2280-4D5E-A946-A20969230BB8@mi...

Locate a cell, based on a criteria, then use the 'Cell' command...
I am using a pivot table to configure some data. In the first column, the pivot table of course displays only one instance of the text representing of data group. What I need to do is determine in which cell a particular item of text (i.e. the criteria) resides in. Once I can locate the cell where my 'criteria' text string resides, I can then use the CELL function to return the row number. My question is... what excel formula can I use to locate a cell in a single column range, where the cell contains the text = "XYZ" My eventual plan is to then use the following ...

Where's a similar (useful) MS Word forum / newsgroup?
This newsgroup contains a vibrant and active discussion on MS Outlook, with frequent replies from Outlook MVPs, expert users, etc. Although I've found the microsoft.public.word newsgroup, it seems to be pretty "dead," without much in the way of meaningful contributions. Is there another newsgroup that addresses MS Word issues, which has more activity? Or some other good reference source? I've tried MS's pages (support.microsoft.com) and lots of Google searches ... but cannot find help for the specific question I have (which I posted in microsoft.public.word, but won&...

best database to use for multiple attendence at meetings
I need a database which lists a group attending meeteings weekly for 2 years and the date on which they attended alsoif they were overnight or day only attendees. thank you. Access will work fine. "peggysue43" wrote: > I need a database which lists a group attending meeteings weekly for 2 years > and the date on which they attended alsoif they were overnight or day only > attendees. > thank you. Peggy Sue. You've stated your need. Are we to assume that you expect "someone" to donate that database to you? Or do you want a template...

Money 2002 will not run

What tables and database does the Knowledge Base use?
Hi, we are wanting to make Knowledge Basee articles available online for customers. From what I understand we would have to setup something manually to display SQL information on the website. So what I would need to know is what fields and databases will we be using if we do something like this? ------=_NextPart_0001_DB294826 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit "Admin Matt" <Admin.Matthew@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, we are wanting to make Knowledge Basee articles available online > for customers. From what I understand we would have to setup something ...

Using a pivot to calculate an average w/o 0's
I have been killing myself with this problem for 2 days now, and I giv up. I can't solve this myself. It seems that Excel works differentl each time I use it. This is my situation: I have a .csv file w/ 20k records. I have a pivot table report that reads the .csv as the source. In the pivot, I need calculate the average for one of the columns i the .csv The problem is that 90% of the records have a 0 as the value for tha column. I dont want to average the 0's into the average. When I take out the zeros, i get a #DIV/0 error. I have successfully been able to make this calculation...

I can access any mailbox using OWA 2003
Hi, Exchange Server 2003 By using OWA I can open anyones mailbox. if I enter http://server/user1 in IE i can see user1's mailbox if I enter http://server/user2 i see user2's mailbox. what security setting must i change so that only the logged in user can see his or her own mailbox. thanks Mandy goto Exchange System Manager, servers, server_name, protocols, http, exchange virtual server. goto properties of exchange, click on acess tab, check basic authentication and intehrated windows authentication. Now, only if someone can answer the question I posted this morning. >...

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

Using forms in a shared powerpoint
Hi, I have a feedback form in a Powerpoint which stores the inputted data in a text file. It works perfectly and does what I want it to. EXCEPT I want to use the same form with a group of users and whenever I try this an error occurs. When they press Submit when someone else has it open a run-time error occurs. Does anyone know if I can get around this or should just give up! This is the kind of thing I am doing: http://cws.internet.com/article/4529-.htm Thanks Maybe try using FreeFile instead od #1? Not sure that even then you can have it open on more that one PC at a ...