Internet Explorer Problem - HELP MS COMPUTER SCIENTISTS

I have a weird one that I haven't been able to solve and need some
help.  My Internet Explorer browser on my XP machine will not run in
'Admin' mode but runs fine in any of the user modes on the machine.
I've done what I can to reset IE to original settings and no luck
which leads to to believe that the program, in of itself, is okay but
there's apparently some registry key I need to tweak to get it running
again in Admin mode.  If I boot up into a general user mode OR 'switch
user', it's fine.

So I'm hopeful that a MS engineer might see this and be able to advise
me on how to manuallyy tweak the registry to match settings for the
general user and get it going again.

TIA
0
jcage

Hi j,

Logoff windows then log back on with your Administrator account.

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable
third-party browser extensions".  On the General tab of Internet Options you
may like to change your homepage to about:blank (I bet you have set it to
google.com?).

Save your changes.

then

Start>Internet Explorer

(hopefully it should start then)...

For a permanent fix

Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs (on your Admin Account) and
uninstall any IE Addons that you had installed for the Admin account only.
Typically it will be an old version of the Google Toolbar.

Logoff from your Admin account and then login on your 'User' account. Right
click on the IE icon in the Quick Launch bar and select run-as
Administrator. It should work then.

Regards.

<jcage@lycos.com> wrote in message
> I have a weird one that I haven't been able to solve and need some
> help.  My Internet Explorer browser on my XP machine will not run in
> 'Admin' mode but runs fine in any of the user modes on the machine.
> I've done what I can to reset IE to original settings and no luck
> which leads to to believe that the program, in of itself, is okay but
> there's apparently some registry key I need to tweak to get it running
> again in Admin mode.  If I boot up into a general user mode OR 'switch
> user', it's fine.
>
> So I'm hopeful that a MS engineer might see this and be able to advise
> me on how to manuallyy tweak the registry to match settings for the
> general user and get it going again.
>
> TIA

0
rob
4/16/2010 5:06:00 AM
jcage@lycos.com wrote:
> I have a weird one that I haven't been able to solve and need some
> help.  My Internet Explorer browser on my XP machine will not run in
> 'Admin' mode but runs fine in any of the user modes on the machine.
> I've done what I can to reset IE to original settings and no luck
> which leads to to believe that the program, in of itself, is okay but
> there's apparently some registry key I need to tweak to get it running
> again in Admin mode.  If I boot up into a general user mode OR 'switch
> user', it's fine.
>
> So I'm hopeful that a MS engineer might see this and be able to advise
> me on how to manuallyy tweak the registry to match settings for the
> general user and get it going again.

No one from MS monitors this newsgroup.

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PA
4/16/2010 6:08:36 PM
Neither approach worked but thanks for the ideas.  I'd be happy if I
could do a 'run as' any of the general users but that's not possible
through 'admistrator'.  At least then if I wanted to, I could open up
Internet Explorer without doing a 'switch user' to get there.  After
trying both ideas below on my XPproSP2 machine, the symptoms are
exactly the same as before.  I can login or switch user to a 'general
account' (non-power user or admin) and Internet Explorer runs fine but
through a power user or admin account, all I get is the 'debug' and
'close' with the associated error box that doesn't allow IE to open.
This happens whether firewall and anti-virus is ON or OFF.  Same
symptom which again takes me back to a registry issue.  Appreciate all