Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs

The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 - May
2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.

When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.

I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.

I really appreicate any help on our issue
Wolfgang

"Wolfgang Holesch" <TNMMNBBQKQZM@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
> May
> 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
>
> When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
> scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
> application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
>
> I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
> booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
> Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
>
> I really appreicate any help on our issue
> Wolfgang

AV apps rarely will scan for malware/adware. I would suggest you scan with
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see what that picks up.

Also try running the MSRT with your PC disconnected from the internet and
your AV software disabled - there may be a conflict, especially if you are
running McAfee products or more than one AV product at the same time.

--
Dan

0
Dan
5/18/2010 3:31:14 PM
Why isn't SP3 installed yet?  That should be your first priority.

Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.

    • What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
       http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

Wolfgang Holesch wrote:
> The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
> May
> 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
>
> When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
> scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
> application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
>
> I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
> booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
> Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
>
> I really appreicate any help on our issue
> Wolfgang

0
PA
5/18/2010 4:19:49 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?  That should be your first priority.
>
> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
> running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
> Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
> website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.

Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
0
Rob
5/18/2010 4:27:31 PM
":
: Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?

It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
automatic.

0
Tom
5/18/2010 4:39:44 PM
Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:

> ":
> : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
>
> It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
> automatic.

I think it isn't automatic at all.
We have a "webcafe" network at work where all systems are set to
"install updates automatically" and the users normally work as normal
users.  SP3 is not installed in that case.  When an administrator logs
in on the workstations, SP3 is offered and has to be agreed, only then it
will be installed.
Same for IE7 and IE8.
0
Rob
5/18/2010 6:35:45 PM
It will offer it on automatic updates, and yes, it must be agreed to.

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
: Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
: >
: > ":
:
: I think it isn't automatic at all.
: We have a "webcafe" network at work where all systems are set to
: "install updates automatically" and the users normally work as normal
: users.  SP3 is not installed in that case.  When an administrator logs
: in on the workstations, SP3 is offered and has to be agreed, only then it
: will be installed.
: Same for IE7 and IE8.

0
Tom
5/18/2010 9:34:19 PM
Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
> It will offer it on automatic updates, and yes, it must be agreed to.
>
> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> : Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
> : >
> : > ":
> : > : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
> : >
> : > It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
> : > automatic.
> :
> : I think it isn't automatic at all.
> : We have a "webcafe" network at work where all systems are set to
> : "install updates automatically" and the users normally work as normal
> : users.  SP3 is not installed in that case.  When an administrator logs
> : in on the workstations, SP3 is offered and has to be agreed, only then it
> : will be installed.
> : Same for IE7 and IE8.

The network I describe has been set to silently install updates (using
group policy) and in that case the updates that require an "agree" will
not even be offered.  Very inconvenient that you cannot configure that
you want to install all important updates, also the ones that require
an "agree".
0
Rob
5/19/2010 7:49:38 AM
"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
>>
>> ":
>> : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
>>
>> It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
>> automatic.
>
> I think it isn't automatic at all.

SP3 is an Automatic Update. It needs to be installed before IE8, and IE8
comes as part of the update to SP3.

SP3 needs an acceptance, as you have noticed.

0
Jeff
5/19/2010 4:58:17 PM
Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
>> Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ":
>>> : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
>>>
>>> It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
>>> automatic.
>>
>> I think it isn't automatic at all.
>
> SP3 is an Automatic Update. It needs to be installed before IE8, and IE8
> comes as part of the update to SP3.
>
> SP3 needs an acceptance, as you have noticed.

I call something automatic when it happens without user action.
0
Rob
5/19/2010 5:07:32 PM
> Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message

>>> I think it isn't automatic at all.
>>
>> SP3 is an Automatic Update. It needs to be installed before IE8, and IE8
>> comes as part of the update to SP3.
>>
>> SP3 needs an acceptance, as you have noticed.
>
> I call something automatic when it happens without user action.

Automatic is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't know your network configuration, but if you have users that are not
defined as Administrator, and there is an Administrator of the network, then
I see no conflict that the Administrator has to initiate or accept the terms
of an automatic update before it can proceed.

It appears to me that you have established rights that the users possess,
and adding updates isn't among them.

I have updated dozens of machines, and SP3 always comes after I accept the
terms of the license agreement. You're not suggesting that because the
license agreement requires acceptance then the update is not "automatic,"
are you?

0
Jeff
5/19/2010 7:21:34 PM
Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Automatic is in the eye of the beholder.
>
> I don't know your network configuration, but if you have users that are not
> defined as Administrator, and there is an Administrator of the network, then
> I see no conflict that the Administrator has to initiate or accept the terms
> of an automatic update before it can proceed.
>
> It appears to me that you have established rights that the users possess,
> and adding updates isn't among them.

OF COURSE the users are not Administrators.  I would never setup a
network or even a single-user Windows machine that way.
99% of the trouble with viruses and trojans is caused by the fact that
so many Windows users regularly surf the web when logged in as an
Administrator.  We are not going to add to that.

The network is configured in such a way that updates are downloaded when
normal users log in, and when they log off the updates are installed
before Windows is shut down.
This works for all important updates but not for SP3.

Hence my claim that SP3 installation is not automatic.

> I have updated dozens of machines, and SP3 always comes after I accept the
> terms of the license agreement. You're not suggesting that because the
> license agreement requires acceptance then the update is not "automatic,"
> are you?

I am.
We have two different networks.
One is setup in "standard Microsoft way", with group policy settings.
The other one I have setup over the years, before there were so many
standard methods.  On this network, updates are installed from a logon
script.
On this second network, SP3 is installed completely unattended, without
any user accepting an agreement.  That is no problem because the SP3
package has flags to force its installation.
That is what I call automatic.
On the "standard Microsoft" network this does not seem to be possible.
An adminstrator has to logon to each workstation and accept the installation
of SP3 or IE7, IE8 etc.
Fortunately we have workers that we can instruct do to something like
that, so that I don't have to waste my valueable time on such a useless
exercise in time-wasting.
0
Rob
5/19/2010 7:48:35 PM
> Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Automatic is in the eye of the beholder.
>>
>> I don't know your network configuration, but if you have users that are
>> not
>> defined as Administrator, and there is an Administrator of the network,
>> then
>> I see no conflict that the Administrator has to initiate or accept the
>> terms
>> of an automatic update before it can proceed.
>>
>> It appears to me that you have established rights that the users possess,
>> and adding updates isn't among them.
>
> OF COURSE the users are not Administrators.  I would never setup a
> network or even a single-user Windows machine that way.
> 99% of the trouble with viruses and trojans is caused by the fact that
> so many Windows users regularly surf the web when logged in as an
> Administrator.  We are not going to add to that.
>
> The network is configured in such a way that updates are downloaded when
> normal users log in, and when they log off the updates are installed
> before Windows is shut down.
> This works for all important updates but not for SP3.
>
> Hence my claim that SP3 installation is not automatic.

By DEFINITION users are not permitted to install software, and now you are
complaining that they are not allowed to alter the Operating System.
Seriously, this is a silly discussion. You have set up on purpose the very
conditions you are complaining about.

If you users were Administrators, then the update would be automatic. End of
discussion.

0
Jeff
5/19/2010 8:15:49 PM
Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Automatic is in the eye of the beholder.
>>>
>>> I don't know your network configuration, but if you have users that are
>>> not
>>> defined as Administrator, and there is an Administrator of the network,
>>> then
>>> I see no conflict that the Administrator has to initiate or accept the
>>> terms
>>> of an automatic update before it can proceed.
>>>
>>> It appears to me that you have established rights that the users possess,
>>> and adding updates isn't among them.
>>
>> OF COURSE the users are not Administrators.  I would never setup a
>> network or even a single-user Windows machine that way.
>> 99% of the trouble with viruses and trojans is caused by the fact that
>> so many Windows users regularly surf the web when logged in as an
>> Administrator.  We are not going to add to that.
>>
>> The network is configured in such a way that updates are downloaded when
>> normal users log in, and when they log off the updates are installed
>> before Windows is shut down.
>> This works for all important updates but not for SP3.
>>
>> Hence my claim that SP3 installation is not automatic.
>>

> By DEFINITION users are not permitted to install software, and now you are
> complaining that they are not allowed to alter the Operating System.
> Seriously, this is a silly discussion. You have set up on purpose the very
> conditions you are complaining about.

You clearly do not understand how it is setup.
It works perfectly fine for the usual important updates.
The installation is not done by the user, but by the system itself during
shutdown, while the user is already logged off.
And I have not set it up myself, it was done by an external consultant.
The network that I have set up myself works fine.  But it calls the SP3
..exe file from a logon script, with the proper flags to force installation.
This does not seem to be possible from group policy.

> If you users were Administrators, then the update would be automatic. End of
> discussion.

No even when they are Administrator, they have to agree to installation.
They don't have to do this for other important updates.
0
Rob
5/19/2010 8:49:11 PM
Hi Dan,

I will try again with AV software deactivated, next time when I am at the
clients site because I have to powerdown the machine when it hangs during
insatllation.

I will give further report on the issue.

"Dan" wrote:

> "Wolfgang Holesch" <TNMMNBBQKQZM@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> > The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
> > May
> > 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
> >
> > When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
> > scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
> > application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
> >
> > I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
> > booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
> > Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
> >
> > I really appreicate any help on our issue
> > Wolfgang
>
> AV apps rarely will scan for malware/adware. I would suggest you scan with
> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see what that picks up.
>
> Also try running the MSRT with your PC disconnected from the internet and
> your AV software disabled - there may be a conflict, especially if you are
> running McAfee products or more than one AV product at the same time.
>
> --
> Dan

We did not install SP3 on this particular machine because of "never change a
running system" as long as SP2 is supported anyways. Also we did have
problems with multi monitor systems after applying SP3.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?  That should be your first priority.
>
> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
> running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
> Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
> website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.
>
>     • What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
>        http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
>

> Wolfgang Holesch wrote:
> > The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
> > May
> > 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
> >
> > When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
> > scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
> > application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
> >
> > I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
> > booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
> > Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
> >
> > I really appreicate any help on our issue
> > Wolfgang
>
> .

Wolfgang Holesch <TNMMNBBQKQZM@spammotel.com> wrote:
> We did not install SP3 on this particular machine because of "never change a
> running system"

Remember that this is only a good idea in a static environment.

So, when your system is standalone or on a company LAN and is not used
for internet browsing, it is probably OK to leave it as is when it is
working correctly.

But in a changing environment, like when connected to internet, it is
a very bad plan to not install updates "because it works".  The attacks
coming from internet are changing all the time and will be attacking
faults in your system that you have not patched.
0
Rob
5/21/2010 5:06:36 PM
Support for SP2 ends less than 8 weeks from today (i.e., 14 July 2010). [1]

Since you would not be able to uninstall IE8 (should the need arise) if SP3
was installed after IE8 was installed (cf.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx) and since
getting SP3 installed is more important than getting IE8 installed, I'd
strongly recommend abandoning your efforts to install IE8 until you've
gotten SP3 (and all post-SP3 updates) successfully installed.

===================
[1] Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,

Wolfgang Holesch wrote:
> We did not install SP3 on this particular machine because of "never change
> running system" as long as SP2 is supported anyways. Also we did have
> problems with multi monitor systems after applying SP3.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Why isn't SP3 installed yet?  That should be your first priority.
>>
>> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
>> computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software
>> updates
>> from
>> Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
>> website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.
>>
>>     • What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
>>
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
>>

>> Wolfgang Holesch wrote:
>>> The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
>>> May
>>> 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
>>>
>>> When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan
>>> hangs
>>> scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
>>> application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
>>>
>>> I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
>>> booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
>>> Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
>>>
>>> I really appreicate any help on our issue
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> .

0
PA

RE-Installing

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Downloading email into Outlook on Windows XP into each person's profile
How do you configure Outlook 2002 so that when you download email, it is accessible to all users, regardless of their pprofile settings (Win XP)? If I download the email while in my profile, my wife cannot see the email I downloaded when in her profile. Why? Because at the moment you are using separate .PST files to store your data. You'll need to set up a shared .PST file for e-mail and put it where each of you can access it from your Windows profile. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm for examples. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail a...

Value Pak Installer

Installation #4

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Installing XP over Linux

CRM SBS install error

SBS 2003 R2 SP2
Hi, I am trying to solve this issue but nothing works to fix it. I see that 1058 and 1030 events are present in the event viewer after the daily backup (NTBACKUP). Three hours after the event viewer show multiple and continuous 333 events. When I started to fix this issue I found the server lost network connection and services due to a memory exhaust state. I have applied some fixes to this server and appear not to crash. I am using a combination of NTBACKUP and COBIAN BACKUP Boletus to do the system and data backups. The server model is HP Proliant ML350 G5 and Window...

Issue installing KB916803
Hi, I currently have a problem trying to install the above hotfix. I am trying to test this hotfix with Exchange 2003 server running SP2. I have downloaded the SP2 version of the hotfix from MS, but when I try to run it on my Exchange BE server, I get an error back telling me that the version of Exchange I have is too old, and that I need to install SP2 (even though that is what is installed)! I have tried reinstalling SP2, which didnt fix the problem. I then tried installing on a FE server, which had the same issue. I have now tried this in four different E2k3 SP2 servers, and all ...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

client installation
i have installed crm 3 server and it working fine. when i try to install the client i get this message :Action microsoft.crm.setup.client.installabpaction failed exception from hresult:08004010f can you help please gil Gil; What version of windows/outlook is installed? Which version of the outlook client are you installing (laptop or desktop)? Are you installing from the CD, or across a network share? At what point does it fail? Dave "Gil Gilon" <Gil Gilon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D48A61-81B4-4B1C-BF43-9A45A01C5BB7@microsoft.com... &g...

Outlook XP (2002) background image tile
I send email out in HTML format; in only one case the recipient's Outlook XP renders the stationary image incorrectly. Instead of the company's image header appearing in the top left of the email body, it is tiled all over the page obscuring the message. I have not had this problem before even on older versions. The recipient gets emails through MS Exchange (I think so at least. Any help much appreciated. Regards, Purg. If it's only one person getting it wrong, it's likely that person's configuration. I don't think Exchange is the issue (but it might be - thi...

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO INSTALL SPELL CHECK?
Go to www.c360.com. You can download a small spellcheck "add-on" that works with iespell. It's free and it works well. Regards, John ...

Excel won't start after install
After installing office XP excell goes through the motions but never actually starts...help Jon, Try the following: Go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and enter Excel.exe /regserver -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:010701c3aad2$20f75500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After installing office XP excell goes through the > motions but never actually starts...help ...

Excel 2003 installation error
I have been using my PC with excel program for 3 years and when I tried to open an excel spreadsheat today and it would not open. "Installation error: file not found" appeared. File not found was SKU011.CAB and I have not been able to reinstall as I don't have the installation CD as I bought the PC second hand with programs on it. Can anyone help? If you have access to another computer you could save the file from one computer to a disc and copy it in to the appropriate file folder in the computer with the error. "derk22" wrote: > I have been using my PC wit...

installing updates. Never ends
when i did a restart, windows notified me it was installing updates and not to turn off the power as windows would restart itself. I keep getting a message the 2 of 3 updates installed. next says do not turn off computer.\\ well what do I do when the update never ends? TIA Snooky wrote: > when i did a restart, windows notified me it was installing updates > and not to turn off the power as windows would restart itself. > > I keep getting a message the 2 of 3 updates installed. next says > do not turn off computer.\\ > > well what do I do when the...

Office 2004 Mac install issue
Hi, Just visited a client with the following setup: 1 x brand new G5 iMac running Mac OS 10.4 1 x 2nd hand eMac 1 x copy of teacher version (3 licences) of Office 2004 Mac. The install on the iMac was faultless. The eMac is a different issue. As it was 2nd Hand we restored it to "out of the box" with the supplied DVD's (no old data remained on the machine). That brought it to 10.3.9. we then upgraded it to 10.4 using a fresh copy bought by the client. Trying to install Office the following happened. Using the setup assistant, the first screen was OK (telling us to be logge...

Installation of Money 04 with anti-virus
When I started to install Money 2004, I got a message saying that my McAfee Virus Scan might interfere with Money setup, and "can prevent you from using Money to download stock prices and other info..." Any advice? Take the message seriously. And search the archives of the newsgroup at http://groups.google.com; use advanced search and search newsgroup microsoft.public.money. "Clarence" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08e201c3ce58$bc73dea0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > When I started to install Money 2004, I got a message > saying that my...

installing office home and student
I purchased a copy of office home and student and was wondering if I needed to uninstall the copy that came preinstalled on my computer before installing the new copy. This newsgroup is for questions and answers about Microsoft Access database software - Microsoft Access is not included in Office Home and Student. Even if you were asking about installing a version of Office that does include Microsoft Access, you would be better served by asking your question in a newsgroup devoted to Office. That said, it is often beneficial to uninstall an existing copy (esp. a trial copy)...