IE8 vs IE8 (64 bit)

On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start |
Programs displays two links for IE.  One is simply IE8.  The second is
IE8 (64 bit)

Is it likely I have two versions?  Which should I use?  Which, if any
should I remove?
0
PT

"PT" <inconnu3939@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start |
> Programs displays two links for IE.  One is simply IE8.  The second is
> IE8 (64 bit)
>
> Is it likely I have two versions?  Which should I use?  Which, if any
> should I remove?

You will get other replies and opinions, but I would not get rid of
either. (Not sure that you can). In fact, I run both at times and have a
shortcut to each in the QL Taskbar. At some point down the road, you will
be able to use the 64 Bit exclusively, I would think. But as of right now,
some programs are not supported in the 64 Bit program. In my case:

IE Refresher is not supported.

IE Spell Check is not supported.

Adobe Flash Player is not supported. If you go to You Tube for example,
you will see this when you try to play a clip:

From:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-x3HkBd6s&feature=popular

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's
Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

If you click on Get the latest flash player, you will see this from Adobe.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]

0
Bruce
12/24/2009 4:26:48 AM
You have the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer, which is
normal in 64-bit Windows. You'll likely find yourself running the 32-bit
version most often, at least until Adobe comes out with 64-bit Flash.

--
---
Leonard Grey
"PT" <inconnu3939@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start |
> Programs displays two links for IE.  One is simply IE8.  The second is
> IE8 (64 bit)
>
> Is it likely I have two versions?  Which should I use?  Which, if any
> should I remove?

I'm not sure "versions" is the right term to use, but you have two. The
64-bit should be faster, and presumably safer, but some of the web-support
services, such as Adobe Flash, are not 64-bit compliant, so you would have
to use the 32-bit version of IE for those sites.

Do not remove either version, the 64-bit version is the new standard, and
the Internet will soon catch up.

0
Jeff
12/24/2009 4:23:35 PM
The bulk of this KB article pertains to Windows 7, too:

     A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of
Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

You have two (2) versions of Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), IE8 64-bit and
IE8 32-bit. IE8 64-bit is the default.

There isn't a 64-bit version of Flash Player (at least not yet). While
IE8 64-bit is your default browser, Flash content should open in IE8
32-bit. If you know a page has Flash content (or is dependent on one
or more ActiveX Controls), open an instance of IE8 32-bit to access
the page.

IE64-bit is a "level 2" browser; Flash and ActiveX Controls are only
supported in "level 1" browsers (e.g., IE 32-bit). See Levels of
browser support on this somewhat related page:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526.aspx#section2

You should familiarize yourself with this FAQ:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequ=
ently-asked-questions

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 64-bit!

[Source: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/=
thread/dcec6045-083d-4f75-ab96-f5e48186afd6]
--
~PA Bear, MS MVP

On Dec 23, 11:06=A0pm, PT <inconnu3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start |
> Programs displays two links for IE. =A0One is simply IE8. =A0The second i=
> IE8 (64 bit)
>
> Is it likely I have two versions? =A0Which should I use? =A0Which, if any
> should I remove?
0
PA

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

How to display what line # you are working on in WORD newest vs.
My previous version of Word showed what line # you were working on (lower left corner by word count/page #). Is this feature avaiable on new word version or is there someway to find out "what line I'm working on??". THANKS Right-click a blank area of the status bar (the bottom of the Word window) and click "Line number" to turn it on. Also look at the other items on that menu that can be displayed. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so ...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

Outlook vs Outlook Express #13
I've been using MS Office Outlook 2003. I also have a short cut for Outlook Express. What is the difference in these two apps? TIA Outlook is a Personal Information Manager (mail, calendar, tasks, etc) where OE is a mail & news program. "dp" <dp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2C274B0-623A-4449-AFDC-715802C700A1@microsoft.com... > I've been using MS Office Outlook 2003. I also have a short cut for > Outlook > Express. What is the difference in these two apps? ...

RPC over HTTP in domain vs. not in a domain.
I have noticed an interesting peculiarity in Outlook 2003 using RPC over HTTP. I have Outlook 2003 on two different computers. One computer is in a office and is in a domain (not the same domain as the Exchange server), the other computer is in a home and is not in a domain. Both are running XP Pro and have same service packs and Q331320. Both are set to connect to the same remote Exchange 2003 server (2K3 SBS) using RPC over HTTP. Here's the big difference, the Outlook 2003 on the computer in a domain (again, a different domain than the remote Exchange server) has the ability to see the ...

How to decide Asset vs Investment category in Money Plus Premium
I have recently begun to purchase a little silver (both "junk" silver coins & silver bars) and gold (coins & bars) for my personal inventory (not futures; hard metal). I am wondering how they should be categorized in MS Money Premium. Should they be placed in an Asset account or should I create an Ivestment account in which to place my purchases? I'm accumulating the metals for long term holding, not to trade in and out of. Any advice would be appreciated. -- Could you survive a depression, a war, or a natural disaster? To find out if you could, and find out ...

Money Vs. Small Business Manager
I have started a new business and I want software that will track users who have purchased my items. I want to keep track of an inventory and report on what I need to buy when something sells. What product should I use? What are the differences between them? Any help would be great. Thanks, Scott ...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

2008 32/64-bit
I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008. Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit? On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:15:59 +1000, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote: >I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008. >Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit? > It will depend on your operating system, if you have a 32bit OS then you only have one option. But on a 64 bit OS you can run either. The 32 bit version will under WoW. It is unlikely you will use the better memory managemen...

Pivot Table
I'm building out some financial reports where the titles change every month - consequently changes my calculated field refrences. The sequence or position of the fields doesn't change & the ideal solution for me would be to reference the pivot fields with an index number. I've made several attempts and done quite a bit of searching with no luck. Working with Excel 2007. My code is below and the code that doesn't work is inside the With block. Basically, I'm creating the Pivot Table using VBA - inside the with block not displayed I'm adding Page Fi...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

DEP and IE8 under XP
After a hardware upgrade (to an Athlon II x2 Regcor 245 chip and new motherboard), I'm struggling with a DEP-related problem. Running XP SP3 and IE8. The new chip is hardware DEP capable; the old one wasn't. The DEP is set to "protect critical programs," if I recall the wording correctly, not to protect all programs. Although the latter setting is supposedly the default, the "critical programs" setting showed the radio button when I looked at the DEP settings the first time. There is only one problem I've found (...my wife has found -- it's h...

similar vs. exact comparison
I'd like to compare two cells (or more possibly) for similarity vs. exact. e.g. a cell with the i.d. of 'johnsmith' is not exactly equal to 'johnsmith2'. Is there a way in excel to compare two cells and see if they are similar? Maybe even some kind of confidence level flag? (or is this a fantasy?) thanks, dave This may help. 'www.exceltip.com/st/Finding_a_substring_within_a_string/874.html (http:// -- Flintston ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Flintstone's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

CRM 4 vs GP 10 Adapter Pricing
Hi I was under the assumption that the CRM vs GP Adapter was free for customers with a valid service plan. Our parter told us that the Adapter is no longer free. Can anyone please confirm whether it is free or not? Thanks, The adapter is free, but you must be current on maintenance for both GP and CRM. Then your partner can order it for you. -- Chris Senior Associate Martin and Associates www.martinandassoc.com "d_chahin" wrote: > Hi > > I was under the assumption that the CRM vs GP Adapter was free for customers > with a valid service pl...

IE8 -can IE8 open new tab when click on hyperlink
Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. In order to get a new tab I click control-hyperlink. I want to skip the control step. Thank you. Roxy Roxy wrote: > Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If > you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you > are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. > > In o...

comparsion MRMS VS Landsteinar
I need comparsion between Microsoft retail management system and Landsteinar for resturant and supermarket solution I have never heard or seen Landsteinar, but I can tell you RMS is NOT a solution for a Restaurant environment. RMS will handle most requirments for a Supermarket. Rob "Tarif" <Tarif@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE844538-9B53-40C6-8186-B53B40B35DE8@microsoft.com... >I need comparsion between Microsoft retail management system and >Landsteinar > for resturant and supermarket solution I own a market, and we use MS RMS. It wor...

IE8
I downloaded IE8 onto my laptop and it worked fine for awhile but now I'm unable to bring up the browser at all, and consequently cannot get online - even though I'm connected. The laptop is a Inspiron XPS Gen 2 running XP Pro and is tapping the net through wireless. I had just recently downloaded SP3 and KBxxxxxx updates. After that I was unable to bring up the expolrer. I thought maybe if I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE8, it might fix it. When I went to uninstall IE8 there wasn't a remove button in the Add/Remove for it. Has anyone run across this kind of...

adding items through headquarters vs. store operations
Hi, would somebody be able to explain when to use headquarters to add items vs. store operations? As a general rule, all new items should be added through headquarters and then downloaded to individual stores through worksheets, correct? If an item is added through a store, that item will not be uploaded to HQ? That's my understanding. If a store has a unique item that none of the other locations carry, can that be added through store ops. manager only without causing reporting confusions or other problems? Or do we need to write down the info. and call up HQ to have them manually add th...

WIN X Sp2 IE8.0 killed by CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE and or ? Cant get IE8 to access the web
Tonite, I Contracted 39 versions of what SuperAntiSpyware calls: ROGUE.AGENT/GEN in my Registry HKUS\S-1-5-21 (see below) etc (in 39 different file endings) and TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-FakeSpy[Broad] 3 copies 1. in HKUS\S-1-5-21-2952124706-32014773-2762605872-1007Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(jdfecxfs- C:\Documentsand Settings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\ubqllk\cpxrsysguard.exe and The other two in C:\ DocSettings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData where it again opened a Folder named UBQLLK and inserted 2 copies of CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE It beg...

Viewing text 2003 vs. 2007
I have a 2003 worksheet with many lines of wrapped text. When I select a cell I can read all the text in the formula bar. But I sent it to someone with 2007 and they claim only the first line of text is visible. Is there an option in 2007 that needs to be selected to read all text? -- Matt S ask the person to double click on the cell or at the top, widden the area where you see the text. If the text had a control break (alt+enter) then it may have stacked the data and they are looking at only the first line "Matt S" wrote: > I have a 2003 worksheet with ma...

Problem deleting ie8 history
Hi i am using IE8 on Windows XP. I am having problems deleting history. When i go to Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete i tick all boxes except Cookies and Passwords and hit Delete. This deletes all my history. When i go to the History tab, it has all gone. When i go to my file system to Local Settings/History it has also gone. Fine so far. However, if i now go to the address box and start typing "www", a whole bunch of History headed and Favourites headed entries appear in the dropdown as suggestions. Favourites i would expect, history i...

LIST PRICE VS PRICE LEVELS
For item prices, there is a need to enter a "list price" and then to go to the item maintenance screen to enter the actual price. This allows for the entry of multiple price levels. Most of the time, we do not use multiple price levels. I would like for there to be an option which would allow the list price to default to the actual price. This would save us a lot of data entry tiime. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the...

IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8
IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8 and then re-install. Favorites will not open after installing then removing IE8 beta in IE... The favorites appear as normal in the toolbar, but none of the links work. Import does not work either from previous IE8 bookmark.htm save..."some items not imported correctly" also, did IE8 default reset from TOOLS, ADVANCED, RESET and that did not work either. Import of bookmark.htm into CHROME , FIREFOX and OPERA worked just fine...even tried exporting from these browsers and then inporting into IE8, no-go... ...