IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore

I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my
last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over IE8.
If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but
when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page.
Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state
the next time I try to open it.
(p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear
directions)

"measurement" <measurement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my
> last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over
> IE8.
> If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but
> when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page.
> Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state
> the next time I try to open it.
> (p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear
> directions)

Try running in No Add-ons mode - it may be that you have an add-on loaded
that is preventing IE from closing down completely. You'll then need to test
each add-on in turn to find out which one is stopping IE from closing down;
while the GUI might close, there's probably an iexplore.exe process still
running which you can see in task manager which is the parent IE process
being held open by an add-on that isn't closing itself down.

--
Dan

0
Dan
6/7/2010 4:41:37 PM
IE Support forum (will be replacing this newsgroup by 01 Oct-10):
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads

All Win7 forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Internet Explorer freezes or crashes (access page via IE8 32-bit only & run
the Fix It)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer (Win7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Internet-Explorer

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

measurement wrote:
> I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my
> last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over
> IE8.
> If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but
> when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page.
> Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state
> the next time I try to open it.
> (p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear
> directions)

0
PA
6/7/2010 5:37:28 PM
Thanks Dan,
I'll try that. I've very averse to add-ons, but there could be one, like AVG
or Skype links.

"Dan" wrote:

> Try running in No Add-ons mode - it may be that you have an add-on loaded
> that is preventing IE from closing down completely. You'll then need to test
> each add-on in turn to find out which one is stopping IE from closing down;
> while the GUI might close, there's probably an iexplore.exe process still
> running which you can see in task manager which is the parent IE process
> being held open by an add-on that isn't closing itself down.
>
> --
> Dan
>
> .

You might also have Flash, Windows Live, Java, and a few others in there
too.

Dan

> Thanks Dan,
> I'll try that. I've very averse to add-ons, but there could be one, like
> AVG
> or Skype links.
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> Try running in No Add-ons mode - it may be that you have an add-on loaded
>> that is preventing IE from closing down completely. You'll then need to
>> test
>> each add-on in turn to find out which one is stopping IE from closing
>> down;
>> while the GUI might close, there's probably an iexplore.exe process still
>> running which you can see in task manager which is the parent IE process
>> being held open by an add-on that isn't closing itself down.
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

0
Dan
6/8/2010 9:02:52 AM
Check your Application event log and see if you have an error.

I've posted my own thread because I keep getting "Internet Explorer has
stopped working" (could that possibly be more vague).

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&mid=aa305129-ced8-4f43-bb69-d6b3dd8016b1

Reading another post, also helpful to mention whether you are using ie8
32bit or 64bit. Here's that thread fyi:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&mid=b4e89f5b-2864-46e5-b550-d9b84d6b9986

One last thing, may want to post in
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/threads
because another thread says
IE Support forum (will be replacing this newsgroup by 01 Oct-10):
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&mid=ef657c67-fc48-436d-9270-bf53534d880b

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

macro to delete last row in a range
Hi all, Do we have a way with which we can find the last row in a range o cells. like i have a worksheet where there is some data and i want that macro should find out the range which consists data and delete the las row automatically. thank u all for ur hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There may be another way that only takes one line but i have come u with: a = Range("A1:A5").Rows.Count - 1 Range("A1:A5").Cells.Offset(a, 0).EntireRow.Delete Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com thanks for ur help but it is not deleting the...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

outlook 2003 fails to close
I have WIN XP system and running Outlook 2003. . I have the following problem: Open Outlook 2003 - no problem (cached mode is on, new mail is displayed, all is well.) Outlook continues to operate flawlessly while open When a have connection withe Exchange server.... Close outlook via X in upper-right hand corner. Outlook appears to close, but icon is left behind by the clock (and Outlook.exe continues to reside in memory). Clicking on the icon displays "...Exchange server is not responding..." When i have NO connection with the exchange server (offline)...outlook is clos...

excel Visual basic opens then closes for users
I have users with Excel 97 on a domain. One of them is learning VB in excel. When she opens the visual basic editor it imedietely opens and then closes. When I do it as administrator it opens and stays open. Obviously a permission issue. Does anyone know how to allow her to open the VB editor in Excel and use it w/out giving her administrator access to the whole computer. I tried giving her write permissions to the Excel.exe but this does not solve the problem. Thanks. ...

Backup and Restore database using T-SQL
Hello, Is it possible to backup and restore a database using T-SQL? I need to backup the database, log and filegroup to a specific folder and verify that everything is ok. And later I would like to restore it. I suppose I can't backup and restore the User, Login, Role, etc ... Thank You, Miguel "shapper" <mdmoura@gmail.com> wrote in message news:04975680-ba45-4b3e-af33-26ce24bccbf3@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Is it possible to backup and restore a database using T-SQL? Yes - you can read about the commands in the online ...

What is the meaning of the "$" in say the left$ function
Hi Guys, Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the Left, right, mid etc type functions.. i do not know what the $ means and am unable to find/track down what it means ?? Does anyone know when /where it should be used?? The help is unhelpful in this particular case!! Many thnaks for your support!! Cheers, DontKnow wrote: > Hi Guys, > > Just a quick question with regard to the dollar sign at the end of the > Left, > right, mid etc type functions.. i do not know what the $ means and am > unable to find/track down what ...

how can I add an * to be the last character in a cell
I have 4,000 rows with data, and now realize I need an * to be the last character in all of the cells in Column A. Please help. Insert a helper column, and input this formula: =A1&"*" Copy down as needed. Then do a Copy, Paste Special - Values only onto column A. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Stuck" <Stuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DBDB0A7-5399-4D7B-AC3D-71D4A4EB49CB@microsoft.com... >I have 4,000 rows with data, and now realize I need an * to be the last > character in all of the cells in Column A. ...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

Last protect proble.
Hello, now how can I lock all macros and forms againts editing? Its possible do that in Workbook_open(), or I have to do it in VisualBasic Editor? Thanks Tom Hi Tom While in the VBE go to Tools>VBAProject Properties-Protection. You will need to Save, close and re-open for the Protection to take effect. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** The OP should be aware that this protection is very weak. Anyone with enough knowledge to search the archives can find ways of byp...

cant send email error says address rejected?
outlook wont let me send emails.. keeps stating that address rejected, access denied? "mickmaag" wrote: > outlook wont let me send emails.. keeps stating that address rejected, access > denied? Sorry, my crystal ball is out for repairs again. Maybe you could supply a few details while I await its return. 1) Is this a fresh install or an update? 2) Did your SMTP server work before? In other words, were you able to send emails previously? a) If you use more than one ISP, is this behavior consistent with all of them? 3) What version of Outlook &...

outlook don't close
hi, my outlook is stuck on the please wait while he exists... I had the problem before formatting my PC and after, wich prolly means its something else than the OS, wich is Windows XP Pro. Also, 65 other people installed outlook from the same network installer, provided by our network admin. They don't have this problem. I can kill the process, then it exists, but it's a bit annoying :| Thank to anyone who can help! Solki <dominic.goulet@gmail.com> wrote: > my outlook is stuck on the please wait while he exists... See if something here helps: http://www.slipstick.com/...

Hi, Any keyboard shortcut/Menu Item to go back to last selected Worksheet/ tab in excel workbook. e.g. Excel having four tabs/sheets a b c d, I moved to d from b, and i want to go back to b. I have a Workbook with 20+ sheets/Tabs inside it. Thanks Avi Avi, did you end up getting an answer on this? I am having the same problem. Thanks, yossi (USA) > On Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:25 AM Avi wrote: > Hi, > > Any keyboard shortcut/Menu Item to go back to last selected Worksheet/ > tab in excel workbook. e.g. Excel having four tabs/sheets a b c d, I > moved to d from b, and ...

excel 2000 stays open for 5 seconds then auto close, empty sheet
I got the foll. problem at a customer site: You can open every office product on the computer, only if you open EXCEL 2000 the program remain open for a couple of seconds and then closes itself. I have repaired, deleted, reinstalled Office 2000, have used SR1 and SP3 and whatever, nothing changed. I can NOT reinstall windows on this computer, because this machine is in heavy use and has years of valuable data on it. A backup leads to no point because it is a software problem. I have tried all SP�s for Win XP professional as well, have deleted all Office configs in the user directories. I m...

Restoring Log files
Hi, Last week one of our staff sent some e-mails that they shouldn't have and have deleted then from their sent items and deleted items and we would like to try and get evidence of the e-mail sent. So far I have tried all the normal methods for getting the e-mail back (recovering deleted items, etc). So I then thought that I would-be able to get the message from within the transaction logs, great idea apart from the fact that a full backup is run every night and the log files get cleared down.I am running veritas backup 8.6 on the windows 2000 sbs server. From what I can work out is that...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

using outlook 2007 which says addin ESET OUTLOOK plugin is needed
I have looked for this plugin on Micosoft's web page but it does not seem to know anything about it. I get this pop up every time I use outlook, would like to stop that if I can. It does not stop outlook working however, just annoying. Can anyone help? Help here http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN767 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jonnie2" <jonnie2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC08A408-E963-498D-96FA-079FE0475701@microsoft.com... > I have looked for this plugin on Micosoft's web page but it does...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

Outlook says address and password are wrong
I successfully used connector to get my two msn email accounts into outlook, but when I tried to do the same for two new comcast accounts, it did not work. The accounts are listed but I keep getting a message that the address and/or password have been misspelled. Of course, they both pop up automatically, but even if I delete them and type them in again, the message returns. Both are spelled correctly. When I try to open the account, I get an error message that the folder cannot be opened because the server can't be found. Any answers? ...

restore deleted portion
I somehow have caused a deletion of about 3 months of data from my Money 2000 program. When I tried to remedy the situation it loaded a different version and then of course copied that to the backup. What can I do to get these 3 months back? Hope it is not hopeless as it seems to me. This girl needs help! Unless you've got some other backups, i think it's slightly hopeless, sorry -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http...

A get/change last operation on table 'P_CPY_MSTR_LY' failed
Hi, I get error message when i click Routines>>Payroll - Canada>>Year End File Reset>>Yes "A get/change last operation on table 'P_CPY_MSTR_LY' failed accessing SQL data." "Number of results columns dosent match table definition" It appeared after installation of Great Plaints SP7 and Canadian Payroll Yr End Tax Updates 2005-2006. FYI, installation and update was without errors. Thanks, Smirnoff You have to be SA... And ..if users are having trouble after the file reset...run the grant70 script on the company with payroll. Tami "S...

Automated use of last Category fro a Payee
Will Money 2004 allow me to automatically use the last Category selected for a particular payee on older, already downloaded transactions? It works for newly downloaded transactions I believe but I don't see it working for transactios already downloaded. Thanks If I understand you correctly -- you want to do this retrospectively, not just prospectively -- the answer is no. But you could do a find and replace to get where you want to be. -- Michael Gordon MVP "Jim" <kryten3@juno.com> wrote in message news:175001c4a993$502c8c80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Will Mone...

Form's Last Event
Form's Last Event Hello, Using Access =9203=85 I set my form=92s record source in the form=92s on load event; it=92s usually a SQL string. I subsequently set the record source to =93=94 in the form=92s unload event (this was suggested in posts I've read). What I=92ve described above has worked rather well for me in the past=85 On my latest form, I have a lot of code in the form=92s on current event=97 code such as setting control property values. When my new form closes, however; I=92m getting an error. I understand the error, but I don=92t understand why I=92m ge...

Comparing first and last names in two lists #3