IE8 privacy question

I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
question that remains unanswered.

In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites
or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere.

1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?

In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from happening??

Thanks.

/Every/ web browser has the ability to show you a list of previously
visited websites and take you to any previously visited website on
request. This is known as the browser's 'History' feature. Every browser
also has the ability to erase the list of previously visited websites.

You might be referring to a feature of virtually every modern browser -
including IE 8 - that makes it possible to restore tabs that were open
if your browser crashes. Every browser that offers this feature also
allows you to turn the feature off.

'In-Private' browsing in IE 8 does not record internet History (or TIF
or cookies). However, your browsing history is still maintained by your
ISP, even with 'In-Private' browsing enabled.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Lexus50 wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from happening??
>
> Thanks.
0
Leonard
6/16/2010 3:04:45 PM
Selected references include:

IE8 FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/faq.aspx

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/tour/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/videos.aspx (Silverlight)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ie8videos&view=videos
   • Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
   • Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
   • Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
   • Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
   • History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/faster.aspx

IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/productivity/0,1000001108,39630019,00.htm
   • Screenshot Tutorial:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/productivity/0,1000001108,39630014,00.htm

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Customization in IE8:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/04/20/customization-in-ie8.aspx

IE8 and Reliability
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/28/ie8-and-reliability.aspx

Smart Address Bar: What's new?
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/06/12/ie8-smart-address-bar-what-s-new.aspx

Session Cookies, sessionStorage, and IE8 or “How can I log into two webmail
accounts at the same time?”
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/05/06/session-cookies-sessionstorage-and-ie8.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Lexus50 wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> happening??
>
> Thanks.

0
PA
6/16/2010 3:22:12 PM
Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> happening??
>
> Thanks.

Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
for AutoComplete.

There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
History is not selected.

Does that answer your question?

Best,
Bryn

--
bryn_ie8team

bryn_ie8team
6/16/2010 5:35:51 PM
These guys show up from VistaHeads, Win7Heads and let's not forget
"Undisclosed". Sometimes they're the IE8 Team, other times the IE
Outreach team. They usually don't know what they're talking about (if
'they' are really more than one person) and they're definitely not
affiliated with Microsoft.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

bryn_ie8team wrote:
> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
>> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
>> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
>> question that remains unanswered.
>>
>> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
>> websites
>> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
>> somewhere.
>>
>> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
>> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
>> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
>> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>>
>> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
>> happening??
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
> for AutoComplete.
>
> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
> History is not selected.
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> Best,
> Bryn

0
Leonard
6/16/2010 6:31:57 PM
+1

Leonard Grey wrote:
> These guys show up from VistaHeads, Win7Heads and let's not forget
> "Undisclosed". Sometimes they're the IE8 Team, other times the IE
> Outreach team. They usually don't know what they're talking about (if
> 'they' are really more than one person) and they're definitely not
> affiliated with Microsoft.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> bryn_ie8team wrote:
>> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
>>> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
>>> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
>>> question that remains unanswered.
>>>
>>> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
>>> websites
>>> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>>> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
>>> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
>>> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
>>> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>>>
>>> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
>>> happening??
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
>> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
>> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
>> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
>> for AutoComplete.
>>
>> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
>> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
>> History is not selected.
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>
>> Best,
>> Bryn
0
PA
6/17/2010 2:49:46 AM
Thanks for input to-date.  However, SPECIFICALLY - in IE8, in one of the
dropdown menus (I believe it is on the top right of the IE explorer window
either within Safety or next to), there is a selectable feature that shows
(something to the effect) restore prior browsing sesson or sites or sites
visited.  This is a selectable feature from within the IE window.

Since this is a touted feature of IE8, MS does not provide info that I can
find on how to disable, delete, or clear this area.  That is what I am
requesting info on.

It may be that this feature derives its info (history?) from the regular
history file and therefore is cleared when someone manually deletes browsing
history, but since I do not yet have IE8 installed, I dont know.

Can someone with IE8 installed locate this item, try clearing by vars means
and report back on how that effects this feature?  Also as suggested if there
is a way to turn this off or remove it - where is it?

thanks again.

"Lexus50" <Lexus50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for input to-date.  However, SPECIFICALLY - in IE8, in one of the
> dropdown menus (I believe it is on the top right of the IE explorer window
> either within Safety or next to), there is a selectable feature that shows
> (something to the effect) restore prior browsing sesson or sites or sites
> visited.  This is a selectable feature from within the IE window.
>
> Since this is a touted feature of IE8, MS does not provide info that I can
> find on how to disable, delete, or clear this area.  That is what I am
> requesting info on.
>
> It may be that this feature derives its info (history?) from the regular
> history file and therefore is cleared when someone manually deletes
> browsing
> history, but since I do not yet have IE8 installed, I dont know.
>
> Can someone with IE8 installed locate this item, try clearing by vars
> means
> and report back on how that effects this feature?  Also as suggested if
> there
> is a way to turn this off or remove it - where is it?
>
> thanks again.

Here is some info found with a quick Google search.  The article explains
how to clear the data, but also explains where it is stored, and how it is
affected by clearing your browser history.  I think this is what you're
looking for.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/clear-ie8-last-browsing-session-history-using-ccleaner/

0
KCB

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

Pvt Table Question #2
Hi, I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a pvt table using two sheets? If so, how do you do this? Thanks! Alt/DP, then choose Multiple consolidation ranges -- the UI was removed from the ribbon. "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:a137474c-7ea2-4c35-a9ab-43af7056c140@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would > like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a > pvt table...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

Secondary Access Question
I am using a chart with both a primary and secondary axis. The primary axis runs from -4% to 8% while the secondary runs from -1000 to 1200. The 0 point on the secondary axis equates to about 1.5% on the primary axis which makes the graph is a little confusing. Is there any way to add dummy numbers or series or otherwise get the 0 point on the secondary axis at about the same spot vertically as on the primary axis? Thanks in advance for any ideas. --Dan Please ignore my post. I'm embarrassed at how simple the solution was: simply make the ratio of max to min of the two axes the same...

Template & linked Excel database question
Okay - I got my template set up & linked to an Excel worksheet for a database. I open the template and start entering info - the first field is the client's name & has a macro that saves the file as "Name.xls" when moving out of this cell. I go on to complete the initial data entries, then save & close...but I don't get the prompt to save as a new entry to the database file UNLESS I then re-open the same file and close it again. Why don't I get the prompt the FIRST time I save & close???? tm ...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

Question about locale in formulae
The CFO of our German location uses a US laptop with US Excel 2003. When he emails a spreadsheet with some complex formulas using things like End of Month, the expression used in US is not the same as German. When he receives a file from the German accounting office, they use their expressions on their German Excel spreadsheets which don't work properly on the US Excel 2003. Is there a way to get these spreadsheets to "learn" each locales' expressions and finctions or do we need to install the US version of Excel on the German computers and then add German in the Of...

question #5
I have normal excel document consisted of 2 columns A and B. In each columns there are 4000 rows. In each row is url adress in form: http://www.studiotatjana.com I want new list of urls in column C which is sum of values in column A and B. So there will be 8000 urls in column C. But there needs to be only one rule. If value in one row of 4000 row in column A is identical to any value in any row in column B then that value do not go to colum C. I want that if one url adress can be fund in column A and B that that url is deleted and do not go to column C. All values in colum A are difere...

Vlookup/Indirect Address Question
Hello, I have a quick question. So I have three inputs into a formula. In Sheet1, The values in cells A1, B1, and C1.. I want to output to cell D1 Somewhere in column A of sheet 2 is the value of A1 (to be looked up). Once this value is found, i want the cell next to it or two spaces next to it depending on the value in B1 (of sheet1) The value in cell C1 contains the name of the sheet to lookup a value in. Using Vlookup, this is a pretty straightforward question except that the sheet is not manually chosen. It is dependent on the value in C1 (C1 is the name of the sheet as a string)...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

performance question
hi! i am trying to convert an 640 x 480 IYUV image to an 640 x 480 RGB image. i found some formulas on the net: B = 1.164(Y - 16) + 2.018(U - 128) G = 1.164(Y - 16) - 0.813(V - 128) - 0.391(U - 128) R = 1.164(Y - 16) + 1.596(V - 128) the converion is working but takes about 300 ms per image! (in debug mode on a 866MHz pc) i think there is something wrong - i expected a time around 5 ms... any ideas? thanks, philipp "Philipp Huber" <philipp.h@gmx.net> wrote in message news:bqkcv4$ssv$06$1@news.t-online.com... > hi! > > i am trying to convert...

Track in CRM 3.0 question
Hello. Quick question: I'm not sure I am understanding the Track in CRM function completely. I sent an email through Outlook and hit Track in CRM, it works great, files the email in the persons history. When they reply, their reply does not AUTOMATICALLY go into the history, I have to hit the Track in CRM button when viewing the message in Outlook. WHY?? I thought this process was streamlined, am I forgetting something. Please Help ASAP! Thanks so much in advance. Has your server been configured to automatically process inbound e-mail? Dave "CRM_Newbie" <CRM...

a simple question
I am using the Ctrl key to select a number of cells at one time. if make a mistake how do i de-select a cell but still retain the selectio of the others? eg. I want to select the cells A1, A2, A4, A5. I hold Ctrl and click a then a2 then a3 (by mistake), how do i get rid of a3 but still retain a and a2? thank -- cm70 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cm700's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26676 Repeated clicking on the cell alternates ...

Graphics question
I want to be able to fill in a blank template with color or pattern and cannot figure out how to do it. For example, if I draw a rectangle with a line down the middle, I can fill each side of the rectangle with a photograph stored on my computer. What if I have an object that I want to fill it, but I am not able to actually draw the object myself on the computer, but I do have it downloaded. It is a drawing of a lampshade. Is there a way to convert the file that I have (it is a jpg file) into a file that publisher will allow me to "fill"? Any help would be greatly appreci...

Idle question about highlight colors
This is something that's been mildly annoying (or at least confusing) me for years. I've seen it happen in Word 2004, Word X, and maybe even earlier. When I select text in a Word document, it usually gets highlighted with a light-blue color. But sometimes, the "highlight" is black, with the text displaying in white. I have never been able to figure out why Word does this. Right now, it's doing it in the last three lines of a five-line paragraph, plus the rest of the text on that page. The rest of the document highlights normally. Anyone know what causes this...

Movement Report Question
Is it possible to produce a report that shows when items were purchased and how much we paid for them without having to open up each individual purchase order? Prices in my industry change all the time and this would be very helpful. Any ideas? Our reporting add-in has that as part of the purchase orders report. http://www.savitas.net/pages/software/rmsreports/default.aspx You can see all purchase orders for the date range you choose, and then drill down to each line item to see the price paid. Please contact us if you have any questions. Best Regards Jamieson Gill www.savitas.net ...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

formula question...
Just wondering if this is a valid formula... =(B5*C5)+(B6*C6) -- curiouscash Yes it is. Regards, Fred "000ani" <000ani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBA06CDE-0E9D-4907-8D72-9082A7DB2215@microsoft.com... > Just wondering if this is a valid formula... > > =(B5*C5)+(B6*C6) > -- > curiouscash "000ani" wrote: > Just wondering if this is a valid formula... > =(B5*C5)+(B6*C6) Syntactically, yes. But of course, you could determine that yourself simply by trying it. So why do you ask? Despite the f...

Easy formula question
=IF(D4>D5:D6:D7:D8:D9:D10:D11:D12:D13:D14:D15:D16,"Leader","---") :confused: I am trying to get a cell to say the word Leader if cell D4 is greate than the other cells in the list or if D4 is not greater than the cell in the list to say --- but obviously I have the formula above wron because it is not working. Help ASAP please!!!! Thanks in advance for any help with this, Mik -- mikeee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1461 View this thread: htt...

Question from childofthe1980s
I'm sending this post on behalf of "childofthe1980s", due to posting complications. --- We have a client who is using SOP and Inventory. They have an item containing the unit of measure schedule called "ST". And, the only unit of measure within that schedule is "ST". But, when they enter this item on a SOP invoice, the default unit of measure is "Each". That shouldn't be, for several reasons. First of all, the "Prices Not Required in Price List" box in SOP Setup is unchecked. This means that the default selling unit of measur...

CSocket question...
Using CSocket, can you have a single socket pass information back and forth or is it one way communication at the CSocket level? I've implemented things in the past where two sockets were needed (for security reasons) on each side of the client/server cnx, but I need to write some code to let Flash send me strings (XML) and I need to be able to send information back on the same socket. This was great using the two socket (on each side) method because I simply created a sync of my own and when receive received a completed string on the client or server's 'Receive only' socket I...

Licensing Questions
I'm building an iSCSI host for a client of mine, and was wondering what the license requirements would be. Here is he question, If I install my iSCSI host software (in this case StarWind) on a windows 2003 Platform, what kind of license do I need, ie do I only need the OS license or do I also need CLIs. Since no actual "User" will be accessing this Server Directly (they might be using a VMDK stored on the host LUN, but that would be via my VMware servers... basiclly, I'm using the iSCSI host, to host disk space for 2 or 3 VMWare ESXi hosts, hosting 2 or 3 VMs which...

routing questions
New to 2003 and I'm not sure how to handle routing. Our current 5.5 environment has 2 bridgehead servers - passing mail to about 26 sites, little over 8,000 mailboxes worldwide. Currently we have only 1 Exchange 2003 server for mailbox and routing purposes. As we add these other sites (have not done any yet), I'm concerned that this one box can't handle the load of mail traffic. What is the best practice for this - my management won't bring any "professional" help in and sent me to one class, over a year ago so I'm floundering here. Our current server is go...

DEP and IE8 under XP
After a hardware upgrade (to an Athlon II x2 Regcor 245 chip and new motherboard), I'm struggling with a DEP-related problem. Running XP SP3 and IE8. The new chip is hardware DEP capable; the old one wasn't. The DEP is set to "protect critical programs," if I recall the wording correctly, not to protect all programs. Although the latter setting is supposedly the default, the "critical programs" setting showed the radio button when I looked at the DEP settings the first time. There is only one problem I've found (...my wife has found -- it's h...