IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?

I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available.  Recently I
had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo"  After making my default browser IE I
noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo.  I think it is a little less
stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just
on a whim.  It was not fun.  Does anyone know what the diffierence in their
operations are, and what difference it will make?  Thanks.
Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010
--
Randu

"Randu" <Randu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available.  Recently I
> had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
> Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo"  After making my default browser
> IE I
> noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo.  I think it is a little less
> stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8
> just
> on a whim.  It was not fun.  Does anyone know what the diffierence in
> their
> operations are, and what difference it will make?  Thanks.
> Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010
> --
> Randu

I don't there's a difference between the two. The "IE8 provided by Yahoo" is
a custom string set in the title bar. It's called "branding".

--
Patrick P.
www.boydcomputersvcs.com

0
Patrick
2/21/2010 3:32:56 AM
It is cosmetic and is still IE8 with a Window Title added.
Branding alone will not slow anything down or make IE less stable.

How to remove branding.
To remove all Internet Explorer branding, follow these steps:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type

   rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear

   and then click OK.

4. Restart Internet Explorer.

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:12:01 -0800, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Randu
<Randu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available.  Recently I
>had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
>Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo"  After making my default browser IE I
>noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo.  I think it is a little less
>stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just
>on a whim.  It was not fun.  Does anyone know what the diffierence in their
>operations are, and what difference it will make?  Thanks.
>Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010
0
Alan
2/21/2010 3:43:52 AM
Is the very top of the IE window branded "IE 8 provided by Yahoo" or did you
install the ATT/Yahoo-Customized version of IE8?

Randu wrote:
> I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available.  Recently I
> had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled
> Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo"  After making my default browser
> IE
> I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo.  I think it is a little less
> stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8
> just
> on a whim.  It was not fun.  Does anyone know what the diffierence in
> their
> operations are, and what difference it will make?  Thanks.
> Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010

0
PA
2/21/2010 7:33:27 AM
In news:E31A43B4-E1B6-48A2-87C0-327431BB7CC3@microsoft.com,
Randu <Randu@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available.
> Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and
> when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo"  After
> making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by
> Yahoo.  I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I
> don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim.  It was not
> fun.  Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are,
> and what difference it will make?  Thanks.
> Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010

Yahoo is the one which, when they proviced Norton AV, put their own hole in
it to allow GAIN and its other aka names thru and didn't consider it spyware
though it constantly downloaded new SW onto your machine fo no good reason
other than tracking. I haven't trusted t hem since.
   They DID admit to doing that, and buried deep in their "policies" there
was a short statement about it but it wasn't easy to find. Id' have to
wonder about the broken IE8 securities they might have played with.

HTH,

Twayne

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

0
Twayne

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient #2
hi there, When outlook 2000 users send an external(internet) mail immediately they got following error message: No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient. Windows+office XP users do not face any such problem. receiving external mail is okay. regards, Monir OL2000: Error Message: No Transport Provider Was Available for Delivery to This Recipient http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197417&Product=out2K --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

Delayed Mail to AOL and Yahoo / Reverse DNS?
Hi. We recently got an Exchange 2003 server up. Most mail can be sent and received fine. However some messages sent to large providers like AOL and Yahoo are not received. First the message is delayed then it fails completely. I suspect the issue is related to DNS. The domain that supports our LAN is not registered. The one that supports our email is. The Exchange server logs into fakedomain.com, but handles mail for realdomain.com. We have a DNS server on fakedomain.com, but external DNS (for fakedomain.com) is handled by our ISP. They also entered the info for reverse DNS. When I run...

DEP and IE8 under XP
After a hardware upgrade (to an Athlon II x2 Regcor 245 chip and new motherboard), I'm struggling with a DEP-related problem. Running XP SP3 and IE8. The new chip is hardware DEP capable; the old one wasn't. The DEP is set to "protect critical programs," if I recall the wording correctly, not to protect all programs. Although the latter setting is supposedly the default, the "critical programs" setting showed the radio button when I looked at the DEP settings the first time. There is only one problem I've found (...my wife has found -- it's h...

IE8 -can IE8 open new tab when click on hyperlink
Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. In order to get a new tab I click control-hyperlink. I want to skip the control step. Thank you. Roxy Roxy wrote: > Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If > you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you > are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. > > In o...

IE8
I downloaded IE8 onto my laptop and it worked fine for awhile but now I'm unable to bring up the browser at all, and consequently cannot get online - even though I'm connected. The laptop is a Inspiron XPS Gen 2 running XP Pro and is tapping the net through wireless. I had just recently downloaded SP3 and KBxxxxxx updates. After that I was unable to bring up the expolrer. I thought maybe if I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE8, it might fix it. When I went to uninstall IE8 there wasn't a remove button in the Add/Remove for it. Has anyone run across this kind of...

array formula to provide all values associated with a given value
From an Access Query. I've got a list with the unique ID's for reports, and the next field indicates what Language they were written in. This was from a Many - Many relationship in Excel, and many of the reports were written in many different languages. ReportID CountryID 1000020 Td 1000020 Tz 1000020 Ug 1000020 Zm 1000020 Zw 1000035 Ao 1000035 Mz I've got over 10,000 records like this and would like an array formula that for each Report ID (and i'...

WIN X Sp2 IE8.0 killed by CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE and or ? Cant get IE8 to access the web
Tonite, I Contracted 39 versions of what SuperAntiSpyware calls: ROGUE.AGENT/GEN in my Registry HKUS\S-1-5-21 (see below) etc (in 39 different file endings) and TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-FakeSpy[Broad] 3 copies 1. in HKUS\S-1-5-21-2952124706-32014773-2762605872-1007Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(jdfecxfs- C:\Documentsand Settings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\ubqllk\cpxrsysguard.exe and The other two in C:\ DocSettings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData where it again opened a Folder named UBQLLK and inserted 2 copies of CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE It beg...

Providing a Function free forum for you .
Free Unlimited Storage Free Unlimited Bandwidth Free Free Subdomain Free More Skins Free No annoying pop-ups Free 99% Uptime Free Daily Backups Free Fast, Friendly Tech Support So,what's that? That's our free forum named http://support.forumgogo.com. We have the human_based management also provide you human_based forum service. You needn't,we won't ! This is a great site that is completely free, and can make some cool forums, here's an example of one, you can make your own topic, polls, and replies etc, and you can have an accout for every member. This next link is an exa...

Problem deleting ie8 history
Hi i am using IE8 on Windows XP. I am having problems deleting history. When i go to Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete i tick all boxes except Cookies and Passwords and hit Delete. This deletes all my history. When i go to the History tab, it has all gone. When i go to my file system to Local Settings/History it has also gone. Fine so far. However, if i now go to the address box and start typing "www", a whole bunch of History headed and Favourites headed entries appear in the dropdown as suggestions. Favourites i would expect, history i...

IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8
IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8 and then re-install. Favorites will not open after installing then removing IE8 beta in IE... The favorites appear as normal in the toolbar, but none of the links work. Import does not work either from previous IE8 bookmark.htm save..."some items not imported correctly" also, did IE8 default reset from TOOLS, ADVANCED, RESET and that did not work either. Import of bookmark.htm into CHROME , FIREFOX and OPERA worked just fine...even tried exporting from these browsers and then inporting into IE8, no-go... ...

IE8 Title bug
According to Microsoft Connect (https://connect.microsoft.com/IE) I should report a possible bug in this newsgroup. When I want to save a webpage I sometimes get the message "This webpage could not be saved". I discovered that this was caused by the 'title' tag of the html document. It seems that the error message is shown whenever the 'title' tag exceeds 259 characters. I use Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bits and tested IE 8.0.6001.18828 both 32-bits and 64-bits version. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft respon...

Slowness of IE8
My question is this: Why is the Internet Explorer so slow? and Why does my pc freeze everytime the Internet explorer is downloading the page? My computer freezes constantly when I use the Internet Explorer. I have tried several settings on the advanced page but not much seems to make any diference. I have even tried the internet explorer with no add ons and there is no difference. Any suggestions? Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific...

Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs
The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 - May 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation. When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll. I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software, booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security. I really appreicate any help on our issue Wolfgang ...

yahoo #3
Can I view yahoo mail in Outlook Express? T. Ask in an Outlook Express Group - this is not one of them. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Taishi asked: | Can I view yahoo mail in Outlook Express? | | T. not anymore unless you have a paid account from yahoo, you can't use the free account anymore sorr suck right i kno jemelmh@hotmail.com ...

Does Microsoft provide MFC resources in Russian?
I am working on an application that is being translated into several different languages. MFC has localized resource files (AfxRes.rc, AfxCtl.rc, etc.) for all of the languages being targeted except one: Russian. I am using Visual C++ 6.0 with Service Pack 5. My questions are: 1. Do newer versions of MFC provide Russian resource files? 2. Does Microsoft offer such files for download? Thank you very much. Hi Keith! I'm afraid I can't help you with your question but maybe you can help me. I'm trying to translate an application to russian. have you got any good advices to get ...

How to provide plugin interface (command design pattern) in VC++ 6
I need to provide a plugin interface in my application. On the basis of selected plugin, the excution is transferred to the plugged in code. I see it very easy in .net by using reflection. Even in c++ i can use COM and IDispatch for this .... but the problem is ... the plugin could call various methods of the exe as well to get the state and other operations ... how can i let COM call my exe methods .... should i pass some sort of interface to COM. REMEMBER: I donot want my exe be compilied again and again with the new plugins been added .... Now let me explain what my exe does ..........

word 2007 in Yahoo as editor
How casn I set up word as editor in Yahoo mail? I am fairly certain it can't be done. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "davidsfl16@yahoo.com" <davidsfl16@yahoo.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3418A9D-C699-442F-9F22-E88E83400C40@microsoft.com... > How casn I set up word as editor in Yahoo mail? ...

IE8
Any one running money plus with the new IE8 installed. Any Problems? Saw where some are running it without problems with windows 7, but the browser in it is not the same as the just released one I am told. Jim I installed IE8 RTW on the machine I run M+ Deluxe on this past Friday. So far so good, but I have not comprehensively tested Money. "James Johnson" <jamesone@cableone.net> wrote in message news:2EFE7B46-85B7-401D-BD6E-212CDD50FB5E@microsoft.com... > Any one running money plus with the new IE8 installed. Any Problems? Saw > where some are running it with...

IE8 vs IE8 (64 bit)
On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start | Programs displays two links for IE. One is simply IE8. The second is IE8 (64 bit) Is it likely I have two versions? Which should I use? Which, if any should I remove? "PT" <inconnu3939@gmail.com> wrote in message news:fe603128-c738-4d76-89c0-4b98de32bcba@k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com... > On my new Win7 64 bit Home Premium computer, I notice that Start | > Programs displays two links for IE. One is simply IE8. The second is > IE8 (64 bit) > > Is it likely I have two versions?...