IE8 doesn't save my hostory or change color on visited links

Hi all

I'm running IE8 just as I'm used to, but around two weeks ago, it stopped
accepting cookies and the browser history is not kept either. When I visit
some secure sites, they tell me my PC doesn't allow cookies and guide me on
how to correct this, but everything is set normal and I haven't made any
changes (things are as suggested). The browser doesn't keep the history
either, so when I visit a link on i.e. Google or Flickr, the link doesn't
change color to show it is a visited link and I can't see history in the
"Favorites" drop down history list (and I've checked the link colors, they
are set differently :-)).

I've been boxing with this for two days now and have found, that if I remove
the check mark in "enable protected mode", everything works fine.
I've tried resetting IE8, removing it from Windows installed files and tried
deleting history, nothing helps.

I might add, that I have set 250MB of space for temp and history to be kept
for 170 days.

Hope you can help!

Thanks a lot.

Hi,
Clear the Temporary Internet Files and History. You may have corruption in
those folders. Set the Temporary Internet Files to 100 MB or less and set
History to no more than 30 days. Those settings will reduce the likelihood
of corruption.

In Internet Options> Privacy, try a setting of Low or Accept all.

The Protected Mode info suggests that a third-party program or browser
add-on is involved.
For troubleshooting information (add-ons) see:
IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer�s (No Add-ons) Mode:

This newsgroup is about to be shutdown. You may have to post this question
to the forums at
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"carstenl" <carstenl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I'm running IE8 just as I'm used to, but around two weeks ago, it stopped
> accepting cookies and the browser history is not kept either. When I visit
> some secure sites, they tell me my PC doesn't allow cookies and guide me
on
> how to correct this, but everything is set normal and I haven't made any
> changes (things are as suggested). The browser doesn't keep the history
> either, so when I visit a link on i.e. Google or Flickr, the link doesn't
> change color to show it is a visited link and I can't see history in the
> "Favorites" drop down history list (and I've checked the link colors, they
> are set differently :-)).
>
> I've been boxing with this for two days now and have found, that if I
remove
> the check mark in "enable protected mode", everything works fine.
> I've tried resetting IE8, removing it from Windows installed files and
tried
> deleting history, nothing helps.
>
> I might add, that I have set 250MB of space for temp and history to be
kept
> for 170 days.
>
> Hope you can help!
>
> Thanks a lot.

0
Don
7/2/2010 9:49:55 AM
Windows version is...?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

NB: MS is dropping this newsgroup sometime today in favor of this web-forum:

carstenl wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm running IE8 just as I'm used to, but around two weeks ago, it stopped
> accepting cookies and the browser history is not kept either. When I visit
> some secure sites, they tell me my PC doesn't allow cookies and guide me
> on
> how to correct this, but everything is set normal and I haven't made any
> changes (things are as suggested). The browser doesn't keep the history
> either, so when I visit a link on i.e. Google or Flickr, the link doesn't
> change color to show it is a visited link and I can't see history in the
> "Favorites" drop down history list (and I've checked the link colors, they
> are set differently :-)).
>
> I've been boxing with this for two days now and have found, that if I
> remove
> the check mark in "enable protected mode", everything works fine.
> I've tried resetting IE8, removing it from Windows installed files and
> tried
> deleting history, nothing helps.
>
> I might add, that I have set 250MB of space for temp and history to be
> kept
> for 170 days.
>
> Hope you can help!
>
> Thanks a lot.

0
PA

Change name of "Personal Folders" in Outlook 2003
How do I change the way a .PST file is displayed in Outlook 2003? If I open a .PST file it always displays in the folder list as "Personal Folders." So if I open several .PST files, they all display as "Personal Folders." I would like them to display as different, descriptive names. (I.E. January, February, etc.) Please advise. Trevor Right click the root of the folderset-> Properties-> button Advanced-> field Name -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slipst...

Saving a shared worksheet
HI, When a worksheet is setup as shared on the network, and two users have opened this file concurrently, and both are editing the file, who s version will get finally saved? Will the data saved by the user who closes first be lost when the second user saves? Could you someone enlighten on what really a shared workbook means? Thanks Ramesh The whole point of shared workbooks is to save the changes of all simultaneous users. When two user edit the same cell a 'Resolve Conflicts' dialog will appear. You should search in Excel help on 'shared workbook' for more on ...

How to code macro to import web link and avoid frame within HTML?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to import web link into Excel and avoid frame on web page? When I browse following link, it look fine on IE, but when I insert this link into excel, it shows nothing, because of frame within HTML. http://www.hkab.org.hk/DisplayInterestSettlementRatesAction.do?Submit=Search&lang=en&year=2010&month=2&day=3 Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve it within Excel? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric ...

save a file on a CD.
I want to save a file on a CD. When I try, I'm told it is not a legal operation ( or something to that effect) and that I must get permission from the 'Administrator". Who would that be?? If you're using File|SaveAs (or its xl2007+ equivalent), then you'll want to make sure that the drive you're using allows you to use it this way. One of my drives has a DLA (Direct Line Access???). This allows this drive to be used the way file|SaveAs would need. The other doesn't allow this. In any event, I wouldn't do this. I think it'll cause more tro...

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

How to change newsgroup message font

unable to use links in email, they are restricted Help
When i click on a link in outlook i get the message-the operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer . contact administrator This only started after i installed windows7 Baz wrote: > When i click on a link in outlook i get the message-the operation has been > canceled due to restrictions on this computer . contact administrator > This only started after i installed windows7 Operation canceled due to restrictions http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310049 ...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

Changing a control on a subform?
I am trying to turn some controls in a subform on or off by using a check box on the main form, can�t get it to work Here is the code on the check box click event Private Sub ckShowAWIPrice_Click() If Me.ckShowAWIPrice = -1 Then Me!frmDataSubform.Form!txtStandardBond.Visible = True Me!frmDataSubform.Form!txtStandardNet.Visible = False End If End Sub i'm guessing that "frmDataSubform" is the name of the form (that you're using as a subform) as it shows in the database window. is it also the name of the *subform control within the main form*? your expression has ...

Cancel save form action
I need a solution on how to stop a CRM form from saving. To be precise, the form should not get saved and the save action should be cancelled. Based on the following instruction in the SDK customization document "The OnSave script can return with false, which will cancel the saving process.", I tried quite a few combinations but was unsuccessful. If anyone has had a similar experience and has a solution, I'll be grateful if they share the same. ...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

Cannot accept change in appointment
Hello, I cannot accept a change in an appointment. Person 1 creates an appointment and sends in to persons 2 and 3. Then person 2 changes the appointment but person 3 cannot accept this change because outlook says the request is too old. How can i make certain the person 3 can accept this change? We work with outlook 2003 and exchange 2003. Auke Bijlsma Deltaisis ...

Saving document for mail merge
Can someone help me?? I have created a flyer using Publisher that contains text as well as pictures, clip art and graphics. When Publisher saves a document it uses the *.pub extension and of course mail merge in word will not accept that extension. I’ve tried the save it as a *.txt, but get the message that only the text will be saved and I will lose everything else. Is there a better way to save these types of documents? As I no longer have any hair on my head for trying to figure this out and searching for an answer on Microsoft’s website? Sorry all, I'm using MS Office 2003 ...

I keep losing online services on my HSBC direct savings account
I have lost online services on my HSBC account 4 times now in the 4 months I have been using MS Money (MS Money 2006 Standard OEM Edition Version 15.0.50.513). I think I have finally figured out the pattern. Every time I accidentally screw up something I can't undo and I have to restore a backup file it happens. If I restore a backup everything is back to how it should be except that it just drops the online services from my HSBC account, and I have to set them back up, which creates a duplicate account that now has online services that must then be merged with the old account. ...

File won't save
Someone at work asked me this and I havent seen it before and couldn' find any reason it wouldn't save. I tried saving to differen locations, no dice. Let me know if something is set up in this file to prevent it fro saving. See picture attachment for a screen shot Thanks anyone & everyone Attachment filename: docnotsaved.jpg Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=45327 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com johnny Some discussion and possible fixes for this at google search results. http://snipurl.com/4p...

changing window size by dragging the border of the window
Hey everyone, I wanna change the window size by dragging the border of the window with the mouse. Is there a mfc routine which resizes the window size automatically?! Thx for every help!! Hallo Ravebaby! > I wanna change the window size by dragging the border of the window > with the mouse. Is there a mfc routine which resizes the window size > automatically?! The window must have the specific style WS_THICKFRAME! When this style is set windows allows the window to be resized. What kind of winodw do you have? A Dialog. In this case you will find some good helper at www.codepr...

saving in hotmail sent items
I was using Outlook XP at work and outlook express at home earlier. Recently switched to outlook 2003 at work. I have my POP3 account and hotmail account configured in both the places. In outlook 2003, when i send mail using hotmail account, a copy is saved in local sent items but not in hotmail sent items. With Outlook XP, the copy was saved in hotmail sent items without any problem. I have another question is - hot to stop outlook from synchronising hotmail folder while opening outlook? with outlook express, I can open in an instant, but with outlook, I have to wait till syncronisation ...

How do I change the default number format?
Can you be a bit more specific? In general, to change the default number format of selected range, go to Format -> Cell, and it is under Number tab. "Zither" wrote: > > I mean when I start a new workbook with file/new I want the new file to come up automatically with a specific number format (not the General format that is the standard default). On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:51:01 -0800, rzhang <rzhang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you be a bit more specific? > >In general, to change the default number format of selected range, go to >Format...

Change Exchange Virtual Directory URL
Hi, how can i change the virtual directory in Exchange OWA URL default path is https://servername.domain.tld/exchange for OWA. I would like OWA is available by https://servername.domain.tld/ without /exchange in URL. Is that possible, with minimal administrative effort? Thanks Florian http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293386/en-us. "flabs" <flabs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB9525E2-9246-43A3-A309-06F6B025D5C4@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > how can i change the virtual directory in Exchange OWA URL > default path is https://servername.domai...

Template & linked Excel database question
Okay - I got my template set up & linked to an Excel worksheet for a database. I open the template and start entering info - the first field is the client's name & has a macro that saves the file as "Name.xls" when moving out of this cell. I go on to complete the initial data entries, then save & close...but I don't get the prompt to save as a new entry to the database file UNLESS I then re-open the same file and close it again. Why don't I get the prompt the FIRST time I save & close???? tm ...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

how to save settings for printing several envelopes
I want to print addresses on several envelopes which are the same size but the addresses are different (for Christmas cards). Is there a way to do this without going to options each time and reset the size and font that I want? Create an envelope template. You can start from scratch with a new document, selecting the desired paper size (or specifying a custom size) or use Add to Document to add your envelope to the current document. Then see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/DetachEnvelope.htm for instructions on separating the envelope from the document. Once you have just the ...

Linking additinal resources
I have a libray project that has some resources (.bmp). The library is shared by multiple projects. I've included the .rc file in the exe projects resource includes. I get an error compiling the resources due to the compiler not seeing the path to the library resources (ie IDB_BMP BITMAP DISCARDABLE res\\bitmap.bmp). Is there someway to get around this so that the library can be shared? The library compiles to a resource.res. Is there someway to link this into the exe project? Thanks ...

Macro to save information into a table
Hello and happy new year to all Excel enthusiasts! Got a question to start off the year: I have a database on one tab (called "database") of my workbook with items which have an individual number. I'd like to have a macro which saves information into a table on another tab (called "orders") each time this individual number is entered in a cell. Eg: - I would type in the number - run the macro - infos such as date, name of the article, etc. are inserted in a table - the cell with the article number is wiped blank The part I'm m...

custom colors for pie charts
I have a pipe chart tracking resin colors. It would be nice to assign each pie piece the color it represents. For instance, yellow resin has been assigned a blue pie piece, blue has been assigned a purple pie piece, etc. I have 13 colors to track. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be helpful to know. I am confronted with a similar dilemma. "Moh" wrote: > I have a pipe chart tracking resin colors. It would be nice to assign each > pie piece the color it represents. For instance, yellow resin has been > assigned a blue pie piece, blue has been assigned...