IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit

I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64.

There are two paths to Internet Explorer:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)]
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)]

Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot
use the HP Support Chat program.  This is a program that requires an Active
X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with
Hewlett-Packard support staff.

HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer
model, specs, etc.  This program also uses an Active X control.  It too
doesn't work anymore.

When I try to install the Active X program, I get a message that says I am
using an incompatible browser.  I've launched IE8 from both locations above.
Neither browser seems to allow the installation of the Active X control.

All IE8 security settings are set to their defaults.

Pop-up blocker is disabled.

VistaNewbie

Some Web stuff does not work with 64-bit IE.

Notably, Adobe Flash does not work with 64-bit Explorer. You need to use
32-bit Internet Explorer when you get a report that what you are doing is
not supported in 64-bit.

For the time being, you may find that using only 32-bit IE is the better
option.

"VistaNewbie" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64.
>
> There are two paths to Internet Explorer:
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)]
>    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)]
>
> Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot
> use the HP Support Chat program.  This is a program that requires an
> Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with
> Hewlett-Packard support staff.
>
> HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the
> computer model, specs, etc.  This program also uses an Active X control.
> It too doesn't work anymore.
>
> When I try to install the Active X program, I get a message that says I am
> using an incompatible browser.  I've launched IE8 from both locations
> above. Neither browser seems to allow the installation of the Active X
> control.
>
> All IE8 security settings are set to their defaults.
>
> Pop-up blocker is disabled.

Jeff
1/8/2010 11:00:15 PM
How can I be sure if I am using the 32 bit version of IE8?

As I mentioned in my original post, I launched IE8 from C:\Program Files
(x86)\Internet Explorer (which I believe is the 32 bit version) and it didn't
work.

When I launch both versions and do a Help > About Internet Explorer, both
versions have the same version numbers:
    Version 8.0.6001.18865

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Some Web stuff does not work with 64-bit IE.
>
> Notably, Adobe Flash does not work with 64-bit Explorer. You need to use
> 32-bit Internet Explorer when you get a report that what you are doing is
> not supported in 64-bit.
>
> For the time being, you may find that using only 32-bit IE is the better
> option.
>

> "VistaNewbie" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64.
>>
>> There are two paths to Internet Explorer:
>>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)]
>>    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)]
>>
>> Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot
>> use the HP Support Chat program.  This is a program that requires an
>> Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with
>> Hewlett-Packard support staff.
>>
>> HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the
>> computer model, specs, etc.  This program also uses an Active X control.
>> It too doesn't work anymore.
>>
>> When I try to install the Active X program, I get a message that says I
>> am using an incompatible browser.  I've launched IE8 from both locations
>> above. Neither browser seems to allow the installation of the Active X
>> control.
>>
>> All IE8 security settings are set to their defaults.
>>
>> Pop-up blocker is disabled.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0
VistaNewbie
1/9/2010 12:03:36 AM
Hi,
1. In Help > About Internet Explorer, if you've opened the 64-bit version it
should say 64-bit somewhere on that screen.

2. With the warning that a reset will delete AutoComplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, try
resetting IE settings (Internet Options> Advanced.)

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/internet_explorer_password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/81fe3b46-2460-459e-b826-8f134a7fe1771033.mspx

3. Visit this page with 32-bit IE8 and post the user-Agent string.
http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

4. What security programs are running? A third-party security program might
be blocking ActiveX.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

> How can I be sure if I am using the 32 bit version of IE8?
>
> As I mentioned in my original post, I launched IE8 from C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Internet Explorer (which I believe is the 32 bit version) and it
didn't
> work.
>
> When I launch both versions and do a Help > About Internet Explorer, both
> versions have the same version numbers:
>     Version 8.0.6001.18865

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Some Web stuff does not work with 64-bit IE.
> >
> > Notably, Adobe Flash does not work with 64-bit Explorer. You need to use
> > 32-bit Internet Explorer when you get a report that what you are doing
is
> > not supported in 64-bit.
> >
> > For the time being, you may find that using only 32-bit IE is the better
> > option.

> > "VistaNewbie" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64.
> >>
> >> There are two paths to Internet Explorer:
> >>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32
bit)]
> >>    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)]
> >>
> >> Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I
cannot
> >> use the HP Support Chat program.  This is a program that requires an
> >> Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with
> >> Hewlett-Packard support staff.
> >>
> >> HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the
> >> computer model, specs, etc.  This program also uses an Active X
control.
> >> It too doesn't work anymore.
> >>
> >> When I try to install the Active X program, I get a message that says I
> >> am using an incompatible browser.  I've launched IE8 from both
locations
> >> above. Neither browser seems to allow the installation of the Active X
> >> control.
> >>
> >> All IE8 security settings are set to their defaults.
> >>
> >> Pop-up blocker is disabled.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0
Don
1/9/2010 12:53:30 AM
See
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/babaa5f8-ff06-4ea2-aef6-a9416d65f981

VistaNewbie wrote:
> I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64.
>
> There are two paths to Internet Explorer:
>    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)]
>    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)]
>
> Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot
> use the HP Support Chat program.  This is a program that requires an
> Active
> X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with
> Hewlett-Packard support staff.
>
> HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the
> computer
> model, specs, etc.  This program also uses an Active X control.  It too
> doesn't work anymore.
>
> When I try to install the Active X program, I get a message that says I am
> using an incompatible browser.  I've launched IE8 from both locations
> above.
> Neither browser seems to allow the installation of the Active X control.
>
> All IE8 security settings are set to their defaults.
>
> Pop-up blocker is disabled.

PA

IE8 Developer
Will there be any updates (more features) with the IE8 Developer tool coming soon? Firebug just released their updates and some of their newer features are very handy (i.e. the new Quick Info) using FireFox. --MJ ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pan...

Pivot Tables #32
Hi - I have got to learn fast how to make pivot tables from a database in Excel 2003. I know how to set up the database, however I just don't seem to grasp the logic or procedure to set up the table. Is there somewhere on the web that I can go do get almost a step by step explanations and examples to make them clearer? Thank You There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm sue t wrote: > Hi - I have got to learn fast how to make pivot tables > from a database in Excel 2003. I know how ...

running Flash using IE8 on x64 system
I'm about to do a clean install of my system (Dell Precision T5400 64-bit system with 2 300GB drives setup in a RAID 1 mirror and 8GB of memory). I will running XP Pro x64 Edition with Service Pack 2. By default, IE6 or IE7 will be installed after I finish re-installing my system. I am going to immediately get all the windows updates, which will install IE8 on my system. Does the windows update install both the x32 (Program Files x86 directory) and x64 (Program Files directory) version of IE8? If that is correct, then I can just create a shortcut to IE8 in the Program...

Excel spreadsheet opening in IE8 instead of Excel 2003
I have an excel spreadsheet on the network but opened through Sharepoint Small Business Server 2003. All the PCs on the network correctly open the XLS file in Excel 2003 except for this one particular PC that insists on opening it in IE8. This has happened before but after a few days solved itself - so we never got to the bottom of it. I have confirmed that XLS files are associated with Excel but it is still happening Anybody any thoughts. Thanks BJ I've never used any version of SharePoint, but this is what I'd try. (I use WinXP, so it may be different for the...

IE8 or IE8 provided by Yahoo?
I have ATT DSL and have been using IE8 since it was available. Recently I had to uninstall/reinstall it and SP3 for a problem and when I reinstalled Explorer I used "IE8 provided by Yahoo" After making my default browser IE I noticed that it is still provided by Yahoo. I think it is a little less stable, or slower maybe, but I don't want to remove it and install IE8 just on a whim. It was not fun. Does anyone know what the diffierence in their operations are, and what difference it will make? Thanks. Dell Dimension 8400 32 bit Win XP NIS 2010 -- Randu ...

IE8 32 bit and IE8 64 bit
I have an HP Notebook with Windows Vista x64. There are two paths to Internet Explorer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (32 bit)] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer [Internet Explorer (64-bit)] Recently, I noticed that some web functions no longer work, e.g. I cannot use the HP Support Chat program. This is a program that requires an Active X installation in order to open a window that allows chat with Hewlett-Packard support staff. HP also provides a program on their website that "Auto detects" the computer model, specs, etc. ...

mfc and 64 bits
Hello. Is there someone who knows if the new VS 2005 will enable to create MFC applications targetted for win64 ? Will it be possible to target Win32 and Win 64 ? Thanks. Marc I haven't done this since I don't have a 64 bit system yet, but from what I understand you'll be able to target those systems, but the compiler/IDE is still 32 bit. Tom "Marc Loiry" <nospam@nospam.fr> wrote in message news:ONluMF1zFHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello. > > Is there someone who knows if the new VS 2005 will enable to create MFC > applications target...

Cannot Run IE8
I received this error message when trying to run this application: "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" How can I fix this? Thanks State your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) and your current IE version. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Ken wrote: > I received this error message when trying to run this application: > > "This system does not support your systems architecture (32/64bits)" > ...

2008 32/64-bit
I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008. Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit? On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:15:59 +1000, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote: >I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008. >Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit? > It will depend on your operating system, if you have a 32bit OS then you only have one option. But on a 64 bit OS you can run either. The 32 bit version will under WoW. It is unlikely you will use the better memory managemen...

DEP and IE8 under XP
After a hardware upgrade (to an Athlon II x2 Regcor 245 chip and new motherboard), I'm struggling with a DEP-related problem. Running XP SP3 and IE8. The new chip is hardware DEP capable; the old one wasn't. The DEP is set to "protect critical programs," if I recall the wording correctly, not to protect all programs. Although the latter setting is supposedly the default, the "critical programs" setting showed the radio button when I looked at the DEP settings the first time. There is only one problem I've found (...my wife has found -- it's h...

vlookup #32
Hi group, I am trying to use vlookup to give me the following percentages based on these criteria: Cell: 50,000 25% 75,000 27% 100,000 30% if Cell A3 is less than or equal to 50,000, return 25% if Cell A3 is equal to or greater than 75,000 and less than 100,000 return 30% If is greater than or equal to 100,000 return 30% Assume the table above is in range A1:B3. I've wrote the following in cell A4: Vlookup(A3,A1:B3,2,True). But I don't alway get the correct answer. For example if A3 is equal to 50,001 it still returns 25%. even if I type 72,000 in A3, ...

IE8 -can IE8 open new tab when click on hyperlink
Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. In order to get a new tab I click control-hyperlink. I want to skip the control step. Thank you. Roxy Roxy wrote: > Is there a way to force IE8 to open a new tab when I click on a hyperlink. If > you do that in the present state, IE8 opens the new page on the same page you > are reading. Then you have to click on the go-back button. > > In o...

IE8
I downloaded IE8 onto my laptop and it worked fine for awhile but now I'm unable to bring up the browser at all, and consequently cannot get online - even though I'm connected. The laptop is a Inspiron XPS Gen 2 running XP Pro and is tapping the net through wireless. I had just recently downloaded SP3 and KBxxxxxx updates. After that I was unable to bring up the expolrer. I thought maybe if I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE8, it might fix it. When I went to uninstall IE8 there wasn't a remove button in the Add/Remove for it. Has anyone run across this kind of...

WMP 11.0.6002.18111 runing OS Vista 32
I have alwayed used WMP to play my MPEG2 files which have on my computer awaiting DVD production. I tried to load Roxie Easy Media Creator Suite 9 onto my computer to give my another avenue of DVD creation. After reboot I was informed by the computer that it had blocked a driver trying to load from Sonic MY DVD which was interfering with WMP. Realizing there was going to be a compatability error I removed Roxie Suite and then went to play my MPEG files to be certain no harm was done. WMP now refuses to play the MPEG files and gives an error code "C00D11B1". How can...

Page file on 64 Bit System
Hi. Just a quick question. Does anybody have any idea as to what the recommended page files size should be for a 64 bit Windows 7 system with 8Gb of RAM? Would it be old 1.5 x that RAM formula or is this different on a 64 bit system? Ta. -- BadHead :) --- OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3 ---------------------------------------------------- Motherboard: Asus Crosshair (BIOS Revision: 1103) CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 Black Edition RAM: 8Gb GPU: Asus ENGTX280 nVidia 280 HDD: 2.50TB (Over 5 SATAII Western Di...

WIN X Sp2 IE8.0 killed by CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE and or ? Cant get IE8 to access the web
Tonite, I Contracted 39 versions of what SuperAntiSpyware calls: ROGUE.AGENT/GEN in my Registry HKUS\S-1-5-21 (see below) etc (in 39 different file endings) and TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-FakeSpy[Broad] 3 copies 1. in HKUS\S-1-5-21-2952124706-32014773-2762605872-1007Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(jdfecxfs- C:\Documentsand Settings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\ubqllk\cpxrsysguard.exe and The other two in C:\ DocSettings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData where it again opened a Folder named UBQLLK and inserted 2 copies of CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE It beg...

Problem deleting ie8 history
Hi i am using IE8 on Windows XP. I am having problems deleting history. When i go to Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete i tick all boxes except Cookies and Passwords and hit Delete. This deletes all my history. When i go to the History tab, it has all gone. When i go to my file system to Local Settings/History it has also gone. Fine so far. However, if i now go to the address box and start typing "www", a whole bunch of History headed and Favourites headed entries appear in the dropdown as suggestions. Favourites i would expect, history i...

System 32
I keep getting this message when I try to open any of my programs or files - "windows/system32/rundll.exe not found. HELP Anyone. In news:BB89731B-EDDC-49D3-9523-A339653EC1A5@microsoft.com, Janet Griffin <Janet Griffin@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I keep getting this message when I try to open any of my programs or > files - "windows/system32/rundll.exe not found. HELP Anyone. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rundll.exe+not+found In article <BB89731B-EDDC-49D3-9523-A339653EC1A5@microsoft.com>, =?Utf- 8?B?SmFuZXQgR3JpZmZpbg==?= says... >...

IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8
IE8 favorites not working in Win7 after an uninstall of IE8 and then re-install. Favorites will not open after installing then removing IE8 beta in IE... The favorites appear as normal in the toolbar, but none of the links work. Import does not work either from previous IE8 bookmark.htm save..."some items not imported correctly" also, did IE8 default reset from TOOLS, ADVANCED, RESET and that did not work either. Import of bookmark.htm into CHROME , FIREFOX and OPERA worked just fine...even tried exporting from these browsers and then inporting into IE8, no-go... ...

IE8 Title bug
According to Microsoft Connect (https://connect.microsoft.com/IE) I should report a possible bug in this newsgroup. When I want to save a webpage I sometimes get the message "This webpage could not be saved". I discovered that this was caused by the 'title' tag of the html document. It seems that the error message is shown whenever the 'title' tag exceeds 259 characters. I use Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bits and tested IE 8.0.6001.18828 both 32-bits and 64-bits version. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft respon...

Formula #32
I need a formula for this: If C1 is blank and B1 is less than 4/03/2008 count as 1. Answer: 2 A B C 1 Almond Joy 04/01/2008 2 Baby Ruth 04/02/2008 3 MARS 03/28/2008 04/01/2008 4 Mounds 04/10/2008 04/15/2008 5 Reeses 05/01/2008 6 Starburst 03/25/2008 03/31/2008 Thank you! Try this: =3DSUMPRODUCT((C1:C10=3D"")*(B1:B10<--"4/03/2008")) Adjust the ranges to suit. Hope this helps. Pete On Sep 2, 10:08=A0pm, Accesscrzy <Accessc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need a fo...

Slowness of IE8
My question is this: Why is the Internet Explorer so slow? and Why does my pc freeze everytime the Internet explorer is downloading the page? My computer freezes constantly when I use the Internet Explorer. I have tried several settings on the advanced page but not much seems to make any diference. I have even tried the internet explorer with no add ons and there is no difference. Any suggestions? Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific...

excel 2000 #32
Row 1 has prices of product. Row 2, 3, etc....have quantity required for each poroduct. At end of each row, need to have amount show. Example: (B2*A1)+(B3*A2)+(B4*A3)+............=amount What formula do I use so that I do not have a long formula? do you really mean for B2 to be paired with A1 if so use =sumproduct(A1:A10,B2:B11) (if you have 10 items) in the columns are to stay together =Sumproduct(A1:A10,B1:B10) change the ranges as needed. "dtaylor" wrote: > Row 1 has prices of product. Row 2, 3, etc....have quantity required for each > poroduct. At end of each row,...

Vista 64 bit
OK, I am so completely feed up with Vista and have been wanting to upgrade to Windows 7, but now my external hard drive has completely failed and was never working correctly with Vista anyway, because of the 64 bit issues so now I need to spend the money on a new external hard drive instead of upgrading to 7. So here's my issue: I understand now that the 64 bit issue was a software/driver issue and not a hardware issue. I was using a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus with an XP machine. The Xp machine died and I got a Vista machine (right before the free upgrade to 7 started. Dang it!). ...

64 bit
Will my 2006 version of Money work on a 64-bit OS? Probably. I'm using Money 2007 on Vista x64 without issues. "SCOTT" <scottw2000@gmail.net> wrote in message news:O56orWafKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Will my 2006 version of Money work on a 64-bit OS? I caught a glimpse of "SCOTT" <scottw2000@gmail.net> on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:43:02 -0800, writing in microsoft.public.money: >Will my 2006 version of Money work on a 64-bit OS? Should do, I'm using Money 2004 with Win 7 64-bit. -- Erik ...