IE6 shuts down

XP Pro SP3 IE6

I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion, after
a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down.
No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the updates.
Any ideas what?

tia
Joe

0
joe

Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
the 'no add-ons' icon?

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No Add-Ons)

Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
settings?

"How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

You should know: IE 6 is dangerously out-of-date and represents a real
security risk. You owe it to yourself to upgrade Windows to IE 7 or IE 8.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

joe wrote:
> XP Pro SP3 IE6
>

> I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion, after
> a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down.
> No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the updates.
> Any ideas what?
>
> tia
> Joe

0
Leonard
> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from the
> 'no add-ons' icon?
>
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
> Add-Ons)
>
> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
> settings?
>
> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> You should know: IE 6 is dangerously out-of-date and represents a real
> security risk. You owe it to yourself to upgrade Windows to IE 7 or IE 8.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

And there's not much point in getting IE7, may as well jump all of the way
to IE8.

0
Jeff
1/8/2010 9:12:16 PM
and keep going to Win7.

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from the
>> 'no add-ons' icon?
>>
>> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
>> Add-Ons)
>>
>> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
>> settings?
>>
>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> You should know: IE 6 is dangerously out-of-date and represents a real
>> security risk. You owe it to yourself to upgrade Windows to IE 7 or IE 8.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>

> And there's not much point in getting IE7, may as well jump all of the way
> to IE8.

0
rob
1/8/2010 9:34:39 PM
To infinity...and beyond!
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rob^_^ wrote:
> and keep going to Win7.
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
>>> the 'no add-ons' icon?
>>>
>>> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
>>> (No Add-Ons)
>>>
>>> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet
>>> Explorer settings?
>>>
>>> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>>
>>> You should know: IE 6 is dangerously out-of-date and represents a
>>> real security risk. You owe it to yourself to upgrade Windows to IE 7
>>> or IE 8.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est
>>>

>> And there's not much point in getting IE7, may as well jump all of the
>> way to IE8.

0
Leonard
1/8/2010 9:44:21 PM
[Ain't no No Add-ons mode in IE6, Len...]

Leonard Grey wrote:
> Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
> the 'no add-ons' icon?
>
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No Add-Ons)
>
> Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
> settings?
>
> "How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> You should know: IE 6 is dangerously out-of-date and represents a real
> security risk. You owe it to yourself to upgrade Windows to IE 7 or IE 8.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> joe wrote:
>> XP Pro SP3 IE6
>>

>> I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion,
>> after
>> a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down.
>> No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the
>> updates.
>> Any ideas what?
>>
>> tia
>> Joe

0
PA
1/8/2010 9:44:45 PM
Did you recently have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?

What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
in the background when you installed SP3?

it)?

Does the behavior persist after doing a reset?...

HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer (IE6)
====================
Note: The following will delete all cookies.  To save them beforehand: IE
File | Import and Export | Export Cookies | save the file in an appropriate
location.  To import the backup afterwards: IE File | Import and Export |
Import Cookies | point the wizard to the saved file.

1. After closing all IE windows, click Start, Run, type: �inetcpl.cpl�
(without quotation marks) and press Enter.
2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click
"Delete Cookies", and click OK.
3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
contents" box and click OK.
4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart)".
7. Click OK.
8. Reboot.

Also see http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-reset-internet-explorer-6-to.html
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

joe wrote:
> XP Pro SP3 IE6
>
> I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion,
> after
> a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down.
> No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the updates.
> Any ideas what?

0
PA
> and keep going to Win7.

I see no need to abandon XP Pro. But that's just me, I suppose.

0
Jeff
1/8/2010 10:55:56 PM
No to the Repair Install.
AVG updated.
No 3rd party firewall.
No to the others too.

Just done a reset and will monitor.

One of the updates was to install IE7 which I did but preferred 6 so
reverted to 6.
Whilst testing 7 I had the same problem which made me think the fault was in
one of the updates.
I will see if it still happens but maybe I should take the advice and go to
IE8 - just happy with 6 that's all.
Also happy with XP.

Thanks PA

> Did you recently have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Does the behavior persist after doing a reset?...
>
> HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer (IE6)
> ====================
> Note: The following will delete all cookies.  To save them beforehand: IE
> File | Import and Export | Export Cookies | save the file in an
> appropriate location.  To import the backup afterwards: IE File | Import
> and Export | Import Cookies | point the wizard to the saved file.

> 1. After closing all IE windows, click Start, Run, type: �inetcpl.cpl�
> (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
> click "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
> contents" box and click OK.
> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
> (requires restart)".
> 7. Click OK.
> 8. Reboot.
>
> Also see
> http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-reset-internet-explorer-6-to.html
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> joe wrote:
>> XP Pro SP3 IE6
>>
>> I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion,
>> after
>> a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down.
>> No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the
>> updates.
>> Any ideas what?

0
joe
1/9/2010 7:28:55 AM
Uninstall AVG & reboot, then do a fresh install of AVG: This time select the
CUSTOM install option and do NOT install (i.e., uncheck) Linkscanner,
Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar, or any of the email
scanning components.

Test.

joe wrote:
> No to the Repair Install.
> AVG updated.
> No 3rd party firewall.
> No to the others too.
>
> Just done a reset and will monitor.
>
> One of the updates was to install IE7 which I did but preferred 6 so
> reverted to 6.
> Whilst testing 7 I had the same problem which made me think the fault was
> in
> one of the updates.
> I will see if it still happens but maybe I should take the advice and go
> IE8 - just happy with 6 that's all.
> Also happy with XP.
>
> Thanks PA

>> Did you recently have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?

>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these
>> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?

>> bought it)?
>>
>> Does the behavior persist after doing a reset?...
>>
>> HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer (IE6)
>> ====================
>> Note: The following will delete all cookies.  To save them beforehand: IE
>> File | Import and Export | Export Cookies | save the file in an
>> appropriate location.  To import the backup afterwards: IE File | Import
>> and Export | Import Cookies | point the wizard to the saved file.

>> 1. After closing all IE windows, click Start, Run, type: �inetcpl.cpl�
>> (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
>> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
>> click "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
>> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
>> contents" box and click OK.
>> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
>> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
>> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
>> (requires restart)".
>> 7. Click OK.
>> 8. Reboot.
>>
>> Also see
>> http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-reset-internet-explorer-6-to.html
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> joe wrote:
>>> XP Pro SP3 IE6
>>>
>>> I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion,
>>> after
>>> a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down.
>>> No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the
>>> updates.
>>> Any ideas what?

0
PA

Outlook 2007 Standard shutting down unasked
After I enter a new contact or edit a contact, Outlook shuts down and tells me it's searching for the problem. I guess it's never found a solution, since it's been doing this for a couple of months. I have the Vista OS. Any ideas? Thanks. cnoon <cnoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After I enter a new contact or edit a contact, Outlook shuts down and > tells me it's searching for the problem. I guess it's never found a > solution, since it's been doing this for a couple of months. I have > the Vista OS. Any ideas? Thanks. Try a new mail prof...

ie6
i am trying to download IE 6 with outlook express...I get to 83% installed , then get a message that this software did not pass the XP logo test...It is Microsoft? and won't install? If you are running Windows XP, you already have Internet Explorer 6. If you need to get/apply SP1 for Internet Explorer 6, then you need to apply SP1 to Windows XP. (IE is considered integrated and the only way to get the latest revision of IE is to apply the latest service pack to Windows XP.) "westy" <westy523@comcast.net> wrote in message news:02b701c368e6$06d36570$a401280a@phx.gbl......

Will IE6 run under Win7?
Re ongoing problems with operation of "Favorites" in IE7/IE8: I'm trying to get a Win7 system running with a browser that I can use. Is it possible to load IE6 on Win7? How about Win7/64-bit? Seems doubtful, but I've got to jump on a plane with a laptop soon, and I'm clutching at straws. I'd love to have a talk with the MS programmer who did the 'Favorites' code. > Re ongoing problems with operation of "Favorites" in IE7/IE8 What ongoing problems with Favorites and how many friggin' new threads are you going to start about th...

Outlook shuts down!
On a user's Tablet PC using Win Xp/Office XP, Outlook shuts down automatically every time a reminder window pops up. ANY ideas??? Try using Detect and Repair first. If that does not work, then try starting Outlook one time with the /cleanreminders switch. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, Darren Greene <dgreene@collegeboard.org> asked | On a user's Tablet PC using Win Xp/Office XP, Outlook | shuts down automatically every time a reminder window pops | up. | ANY ideas??? ...

can't send url from ie6, blocked by outlook
IE6 from File, Send, Link by email, I get a notification that Outlook has blocked it. anyone know how to undo this? ...

RPC service shutting down
Hello, We're running Exch Server 2003 /SP1 on Server 2003. This is the second time in one month where the RPC service quit on its own. All the other Exchange services were still running and we could access via OWA but not the Outlook client. Any ideas on why this service is terminating ? I ran the Code Red tool on the server and it found nothing. The articles which are referenced by the event logs don't seem to really help here. Below are the two event logs: Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7031 Date: 9/11/2004 Time: 8:47:...

Is IE7 and IE8 more stable than IE6?
Personally I hate IE6, and always have. Normally I use Firefox, but FF is one of the slowest programs to load, so for a quick view of a website, I tend to use IE. This is often a mistake. IE6 has been the worst of the worst. I installed it on my old Win98 computer and soon found out my entire OS was fucked up. I finally restored my backup of Win98 which had IE5.5 and continued to use IE5.5 for years. In fact I still use it on that older computer when I use the computer. Then I installed Windows2000 on my laptop, and I do not recall if it came with IE6 or I installed it myself...

Shutting Down
I have a real problem with Windows7 when I try to shut down. The system just hangs at the shutting down screen for 5-10 minutes before the blue screen of death comes up then shuts down. When I restart the system it comes back to me with it didn't shut down normally how do I want to restart? I always restart normally and continue as usual. There are no further problems or error messages. When I go to shut down it goes through all the above crap above again. Any help here would be great. Set your computer to not automatically reboot upon error and then when you get a blue ...

Publisher & IE6
Don't know if this is a Publisher question or IE. I published to the web thru my hosting site. I have a link to a doc in my hosting directory( www.homepage.com/forms/word.doc). Some people have complained that the link isn't there. I can see it on my machine and my neighbor can see it on her machine. For yucks I looked at work and the link isn't there. It looks like reg text. The only common thread is I have IE8 at home. So does the neighbor that can link to the doc. I have IE6 at work. Is this just coinsidence or could there be some setting or something Pub 2007 ...

Adobe.pdf shuts down ie7
As an example, I can right click save them, view them on my machine = offline, but using the adobe.pdf helps at their web site.. http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/ when I hit the view pdf link, it close IE 7 down. I have all the adobe = pdf addon's turned on, Has no effect. How do I fix this ? I'm guessing I've been submarined by a new windows = update. This is not an OLD problem. On Jan 16, 11:56=A0pm, keep...@yahoo.com.invalid wrote: > As an example, I can right click save them, view them on my machine offli= ne, > but using the adobe.pdf helps at t...

publish Excel file in IE6
Hi all, I am using: Windows 2000 Pro IIS 5.0 Excel 2000 SP3 IE6 SP1 A frameset web page with Buttons (hypelinks only) on top frame and content page on bottom frame. The bottom page used to display Excel files. Problem: 1. When click buttons Excel file displayed on the content frame but get frozen immediately - have to click refresh button or click any other program to make it activate. 2. If click the same button twice by accident (the same file display action), bottom frame crashed, blank display. Strange: In IE 5 I have never ever have problem 1 (Excel file get frozen), for pro...

IE6 shuts down
XP Pro SP3 IE6 I have just installed all the new critical updates. Now, on ocassion, after a web page has almost loaded the browser simply shuts down. No particular website , no sense at all. Must be something in the updates. Any ideas what? tia Joe Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from the 'no add-ons' icon? Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer settings? "How to Reset Internet Explorer ...

migration shut down the information store 5.5
Hi all I have two 5.5 and two 2003 sp1 exchange server all in the same admin group and site. on one of the 5.5 server, i have all the mailboxes moved over to one of my 2003 servers. I would like to turn off the information store on the 5.5 server that has all the production mailboxes moved over to the 2003 server, this way if anyone complains that they cant get into email, then i know that the mailbox needs to get moved. My questions are, by tunrning off the information store service on the 5.5 server, will this negatively effect the ADC replication? I have removed the IMC off of this...

Outlook fails to shut down... error message not listed in MS KB
Every time I use Outlook and close it, the Task Manager process list still has Outlook listed. If I forget to check, several listings of Outlook will show in the processes list. Then when my backups are supposed to run (pfbackup) I get the error message "outlook has failed to successfully shut down. Please restart and then exit Outlook again." I cannot find any info on this and would appreciate any experienced help trying to troubleshoot this. Thank you Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronizatio...

IE6 #2
When i downloaded IE6 it appears to have deleted all my attachments in my inbox. What can i do about it? Regards Richard No, it says that it removes access to it. Tools-> Options-> tab Security-> option Do not allow attachments... Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an...

IE8 installation downgraded me to IE6
I have four identically configured W2K3 Std Edition R2 servers that had a fully patched IE7 installation. I downloaded the standard IE8 install package from Microsoft and ran the installation. During the install, I unselected the check box for Install Updates and let it proceed. On two of the servers, I was prompted with a window telling me that the UNINSTALL of IE7 was complete, that a REBOOT was required, and that I would have to manually resume the IE8 setup after the reboot. I rebooted the servers and lo and behold I had downgraded to IE6. Following this I successful...

Crash on Shut Down

Address book shut-down
Each time I open my address book, it shuts down. I get the red circle and it shuts the entire outlook program. Why does this happen? I had an address book created and am able to open it but each time I create a new message and open my address book and attempt to send the message to someone in my list outlook shuts down completely. Is there any way I can fix this? ...

IE6 portable
Does anyone know where I can download IE6 Portable? I can find IE7 and IE8 portables but when I try to download IE6 I get "Portable Internet Explorer 6.x BlogDoCoronel" and I have no idea what all this includes. Thanks __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4923 (20100307) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com There is no portable version of Internet Explorer, nor can there be, because Internet Explorer is part of the operating system. Anything you are finding ...

IE8 or IE6 which is better?
Dear members, > XP PRO SP3 > Two weeks ago I upgrade to IE8 from IE6, to my surprise IE6 is more responsive than 8, for instance, pressing Full Screen(F11) > does not respond every time you press it sometimes it does; with IE6 all the time executes, copy and paste with IE 8 sometimes it does not copy and consequently paste the exact copy, with IE6 all the time a carbon copy. > Has anybody noticed the above mentioned defects and differences, please advise. > I wish there is a way to have both IEs on the same computer. > > Best regards to all. -- nasser [Cro...

Word shuts down
I'm using a legal version of Word 2004 w/Leopard, latest version, on an intel iMac and two Minis. all of a sudden lately on the intel iMac and one Mini Word closes when i try to print a document. it happens 50% of the time. when i start Word this message pops up: "unexpected error occurred while trying to load the microsoft framework library."<br> <br> thanks your your help. A framework library error indicates that an update has not been applied in its entirety. Simply re-apply all the latest updates, and Word should launch normally. On 01/02/08 20:28, in article ...

WXP Pro, IE6, Browser Windows Close
I have a Windows XP Pro SP1 machine with IE6 SP1, all the critical and recommended updates. When I attempt to launch the CRM site by entering http://servername in the address bar, the CRM site starts to load, and the IE windows automatically closes, with no error of any sort. I have other machines on my network with the exact same versions/SPs of Windows/IE and the CRM site loads just fine. I have current Mcafee AV DATs installed, system clean from viruses, have run Adaware to remove any spyware, and have even attempted to roll the system back to a time I know the CRM site loaded, to no ava...

Re:IE6 Copy and paste
I hope I have the correct newsgroup for my query! I am running Outlook Express version 6. When an email is sent to me with the photos and text visible from the desktop (ie no attachment) when I try to copy the photos to Word 2007 it will not copy the photo. When I paste to the Word Document, the outline of the photo is there, nothing else. I have tried to arrange the photo in front of the text, but its still blank. When I try to save each photo individually, but it tells me that the file is unavailable, and the message is "The system cannot file the file specified" Many th...

shut down by default
How can I make Windows go to 'shut down' by default, when I click 'start' - 'shut down'? Somehow the list is defaulting to 'sleep' at the moment... -- regards, |\ /| | \/ |@rk \../ \/os Hello Linea, You could change the Start Menu power button to be "Shut Down" to have this. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68146-power-button.html Hope this helps, Shawn Linea Recta;1260547 Wrote: > How can I make Windows go to 'shut down' by default, when I click > 'start' - > 'shut down'? S...

Having both IE6 and IE8
Hi - I have been using IE8 at work for a while and now find out an application I need requires IE6. I have gotten so used to IE8 that I'd rather not go back to IE6. Is there any way to have both versions loaded? Thanks for any help - Dan What do you have that requires IE6 and does not work with IE8? I think you need to visit the Website of the application and get the update. "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE59BEE-7429-4BF4-928E-9932AC65D347@microsoft.com... > Hi - > > I have been using IE8 at work fo...