Clean re-install of XP - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB976325) fails thru MS Update

I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, but it fails also,
with the error;

KB976325 Setup canceled

Suggestions on how to resolve?

Thank you,

Terry R.
Terry

"Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message news:%237XjRyxkKHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe,

> but it fails also, with the error;
>
> KB976325 Setup canceled

There will be more explicit diagnostics than that.  Find them in the
log(s) that the update creates or modifies.

> Suggestions on how to resolve?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

0
Robert
1/12/2010 4:03:12 AM
On 1/11/2010 8:03 PM On a whim, Robert Aldwinckle pounded out on the
keyboard

> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message news:%237XjRyxkKHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe,
>
>> but it fails also, with the error;
>>
>> KB976325 Setup canceled
>

> There will be more explicit diagnostics than that.  Find them in the
> log(s) that the update creates or modifies.
>

>> Suggestions on how to resolve?
>>
>> Thank you,

0.828: 2010/01/11 12:33:42.656 (local)
0.828:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\3f815522f554242e897c6526fa0de224\update\update.exe
(version 6.3.13.0)
0.828: Hotfix started with following command line: /si
/ParentInfo:681fe93f3dbf7d418bb67f1b21bbf7ee
0.828: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with
error 0x2
0.828: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 (
Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
0.828: KB976325 Setup canceled.
0.828: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d

Terry R.
Terry
1/12/2010 5:29:55 AM
Terry R. wrote:
> I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, but it fails
> also, with the error;
>
> KB976325 Setup canceled
>
> Suggestions on how to resolve?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Terry R.

Although part of me would like to understand what caused this failure
and what the solution is, why stick with IE6 in the first place? If this
is a Clean Install, I would just upgrade to SP3 and then immediately
upgrade to IE7 (or IE8) and *then* apply all the post-SP3 security
patches. I'm pretty sure that IE6's support will be retired soon, and if
you want a secure browser (other than a third-party one), you need to
have either IE7 or IE8 instlalled (with security support lasting till
2014).

0
Daave
1/12/2010 2:32:58 PM
On 1/12/2010 6:32 AM On a whim, Daave pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry R. wrote:
>> I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, but it fails
>> also, with the error;
>>
>> KB976325 Setup canceled
>>
>> Suggestions on how to resolve?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Terry R.
>
> Although part of me would like to understand what caused this failure
> and what the solution is, why stick with IE6 in the first place? If this
> is a Clean Install, I would just upgrade to SP3 and then immediately
> upgrade to IE7 (or IE8) and *then* apply all the post-SP3 security
> patches. I'm pretty sure that IE6's support will be retired soon, and if
> you want a secure browser (other than a third-party one), you need to
> have either IE7 or IE8 instlalled (with security support lasting till
> 2014).

Hi Dave,

The install was XP w/SP3. I like keeping IE6 around on this OS to check
on web design compatibility.  Usually by making sure that FF & IE6
display correctly, the others follow.

Have other info I'll post over on XP general regarding the rebuild.

Terry R.
Terry
1/12/2010 3:25:39 PM
"Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message news:uYpbvh0kKHA.5020@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

>>> I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe,
>>
>>> but it fails also, with the error;
>>>
>>> KB976325 Setup canceled
>>

>> There will be more explicit diagnostics than that.  Find them in the
>> log(s) that the update creates or modifies.

> 0.828: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 ( Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
> 0.828: KB976325 Setup canceled.
> 0.828: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d

FWIW  in my  KB976325-IE8.log  it looks as if the  PreRequisite  check
will be about your current version of  iexplore.exe  Then mine did something
about "Information in the Registry" exclusively for winhttp.dll  and its version,
culminating in the usual cumulative update, including several modules which
had to be copied and renamed by a reboot.

If that's not a enough of a clue you could try to see if there is a verbose
option for your install and use it.   Additionally you could supplement
whatever all diagnostics you are getting by running  ProcMon  to capture
the install's activity.   You would have to infer which log message trace
entry was which by its length and position in the write sequence but doing
that would enable you to see other file and registry accesses which
preceded each log message.

Good luck

Robert
---

0
Robert
1/12/2010 4:03:18 PM
On 1/12/2010 8:03 AM On a whim, Robert Aldwinckle pounded out on the
keyboard

>>> There will be more explicit diagnostics than that.  Find them in the
>>> log(s) that the update creates or modifies.
>
>> 0.828: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 ( Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
>> 0.828: KB976325 Setup canceled.
>> 0.828: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d
>

> FWIW  in my  KB976325-IE8.log  it looks as if the  PreRequisite  check
> will be about your current version of  iexplore.exe  Then mine did something
> about "Information in the Registry" exclusively for winhttp.dll  and its version,
> culminating in the usual cumulative update, including several modules which
> had to be copied and renamed by a reboot.
>
> If that's not a enough of a clue you could try to see if there is a verbose
> option for your install and use it.   Additionally you could supplement
> whatever all diagnostics you are getting by running  ProcMon  to capture
> the install's activity.   You would have to infer which log message trace
> entry was which by its length and position in the write sequence but doing
> that would enable you to see other file and registry accesses which
> preceded each log message.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

Hi Robert,

I didn't post the complete log, but do here to see if anything stands
out to you.

[KB976325.log]
0.828:
0.828: 2010/01/11 12:33:42.656 (local)
0.828:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\3f815522f554242e897c6526fa0de224\update\update.exe
(version 6.3.13.0)
0.828: Hotfix started with following command line: /si
/ParentInfo:681fe93f3dbf7d418bb67f1b21bbf7ee
0.828: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with
error 0x2
0.828: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 (
Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
0.828: KB976325 Setup canceled.
0.828: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d
1.828:
1.843: 2010/01/11 13:11:18.593 (local)
1.843:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\3f815522f554242e897c6526fa0de224\update\update.exe
(version 6.3.13.0)
1.843: Hotfix started with following command line: /si
/ParentInfo:cd40bb90c4dcbe4cb95229c8a93a6e9b
1.843: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with
error 0x2
1.859: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 (
Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
1.875: KB976325 Setup canceled.
1.875: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d
2.187:
0.828: 2010/01/11 13:16:36.718 (local)
0.828: w:\7128cb6d4f1c582325ab\update\update.exe (version 6.3.13.0)
0.828: Hotfix started with following command line:
0.828: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with
error 0x2
0.875: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 (
Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
0.891: KB976325 Setup canceled.
5.781: Message displayed to the user: KB976325 Setup canceled.
5.781: User Input: OK
5.781: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d
5.781: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action
compliance.
0.765:

If IE6 is installed, is the IE7 line checking to see if IE7 is
installed? This install of XP SP3 is only 48 hours old. Seems strange
updates fail so soon.

Terry R.
Terry
1/12/2010 7:06:06 PM
Hi Terry,

Use IE Tester from debugbar.com or web search for SuperPreview or IE Virtual
Images to examine IE version web page compatibility issues.

Regards.

> On 1/12/2010 6:32 AM On a whim, Daave pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> I downloaded the file WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-ENU.exe, but it fails
>>> also, with the error;
>>>
>>> KB976325 Setup canceled
>>>
>>> Suggestions on how to resolve?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>
>> Although part of me would like to understand what caused this failure
>> and what the solution is, why stick with IE6 in the first place? If this
>> is a Clean Install, I would just upgrade to SP3 and then immediately
>> upgrade to IE7 (or IE8) and *then* apply all the post-SP3 security
>> patches. I'm pretty sure that IE6's support will be retired soon, and if
>> you want a secure browser (other than a third-party one), you need to
>> have either IE7 or IE8 instlalled (with security support lasting till
>> 2014).
>>

> Hi Dave,
>
> The install was XP w/SP3. I like keeping IE6 around on this OS to check on
> web design compatibility.  Usually by making sure that FF & IE6 display
> correctly, the others follow.
>
> Have other info I'll post over on XP general regarding the rebuild.
>
> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

0
rob
1/12/2010 11:40:13 PM
On 1/12/2010 3:40 PM On a whim, rob^_^ pounded out on the keyboard

> Hi Terry,
>
> Use IE Tester from debugbar.com or web search for SuperPreview or IE Virtual
> Images to examine IE version web page compatibility issues.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message

>>> Although part of me would like to understand what caused this failure
>>> and what the solution is, why stick with IE6 in the first place? If this
>>> is a Clean Install, I would just upgrade to SP3 and then immediately
>>> upgrade to IE7 (or IE8) and *then* apply all the post-SP3 security
>>> patches. I'm pretty sure that IE6's support will be retired soon, and if
>>> you want a secure browser (other than a third-party one), you need to
>>> have either IE7 or IE8 instlalled (with security support lasting till
>>> 2014).
>>>

>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> The install was XP w/SP3. I like keeping IE6 around on this OS to check on
>> web design compatibility.  Usually by making sure that FF&  IE6 display
>> correctly, the others follow.
>>
>> Have other info I'll post over on XP general regarding the rebuild.
>>
>> Terry R.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion. But this sounds rather vague,
"Expression Web SuperPreview for Internet Explorer shows your web pages
rendered in Internet Explorer 6 and either Internet Explorer 7 or
Internet Explorer 8, depending on which version you have installed on
your machine."

Depending on which version? So if I have 6, that's it? Or does it allow
all 3 with any version of IE installed?

Terry R.
Terry
1/13/2010 6:05:54 AM
Hi Terry,

If I only suggested products from MS then I could be accused of bias.

I would suggest that you choose one of my suggested products for yourself
based on your own needs and your testing environment platforms.

Unfortunately SuperPreview is not my preferred IE testing product although I
occasionally use Expression Web on my Vista x86 machine. If you are testing
IE Addons then the only choice is virtual images. I have not mentioned here,
in this post, my own personal preference.<wink>

Regards.

> On 1/12/2010 3:40 PM On a whim, rob^_^ pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Hi Terry,
>>
>> Use IE Tester from debugbar.com or web search for SuperPreview or IE
>> Virtual
>> Images to examine IE version web page compatibility issues.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message
>>> On 1/12/2010 6:32 AM On a whim, Daave pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> The install was XP w/SP3. I like keeping IE6 around on this OS to check
>>> on
>>> web design compatibility.  Usually by making sure that FF&  IE6 display
>>> correctly, the others follow.
>>>
>>> Have other info I'll post over on XP general regarding the rebuild.
>>>
>>> Terry R.
>>>

> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. But this sounds rather vague,
> "Expression Web SuperPreview for Internet Explorer shows your web pages
> rendered in Internet Explorer 6 and either Internet Explorer 7 or Internet
> Explorer 8, depending on which version you have installed on your
> machine."
>
> Depending on which version? So if I have 6, that's it? Or does it allow
> all 3 with any version of IE installed?
>

> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

0
rob
1/13/2010 9:06:36 AM
On 1/13/2010 1:06 AM On a whim, rob^_^ pounded out on the keyboard

> Hi Terry,
>
> If I only suggested products from MS then I could be accused of bias.
>
> I would suggest that you choose one of my suggested products for yourself
> based on your own needs and your testing environment platforms.
>
> Unfortunately SuperPreview is not my preferred IE testing product although I
> occasionally use Expression Web on my Vista x86 machine. If you are testing
> IE Addons then the only choice is virtual images. I have not mentioned here,
> in this post, my own personal preference.<wink>
>
> Regards.
>
> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message
>> On 1/12/2010 3:40 PM On a whim, rob^_^ pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> Hi Terry,
>>>
>>> Use IE Tester from debugbar.com or web search for SuperPreview or IE
>>> Virtual
>>> Images to examine IE version web page compatibility issues.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>   wrote in message

>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. But this sounds rather vague,
>> "Expression Web SuperPreview for Internet Explorer shows your web pages
>> rendered in Internet Explorer 6 and either Internet Explorer 7 or Internet
>> Explorer 8, depending on which version you have installed on your
>> machine."
>>
>> Depending on which version? So if I have 6, that's it? Or does it allow
>> all 3 with any version of IE installed?
>>

>> Terry R.
>> --
>> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
>> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

Thanks Rob.  Superpreview works great. I had to install IE8 to have the
ability to view in all 3 browser modes, but as long as I have IE6 view
capability, I'm good.  That was difficult finding that info out about
using 3 viewing modes.

Terry R.
Terry
1/15/2010 2:34:42 AM
Its not my favorite tool... because it has no command line parameters to
pass a url. I use IETester which does, so with one click I can open the
current web page or a page from my VS or Expression Web IDE in all IE
versions. IE8 is not required to be installed on the machine also.
(PS. do you like the 'silverlight' chrome of SuperPreview?)

See your VS and EW Files menus to configure your default browsers for those
IDE's. In EW you can use a Browser Group, so with one click you can open
your web in FX, Chrome and all IE versions etc. and compare them. There are
covenants in using a multi version IE browser, conditional comments for
example, and commonly you may have different security settings and
accessibility settings in each version. It is important that you set your IE
settings to their defaults. Tip: uncheck "enable third-party browser
extensions" on the advanced tab of Internet Options to stop the influence of
any IE Addons may have on your displayed pages. (I think superpreview does
this anyway, viz does not load IE Addons. hence you need virtual images if
testing IEAddons).

Regards.

> On 1/13/2010 1:06 AM On a whim, rob^_^ pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Hi Terry,
>>
>> If I only suggested products from MS then I could be accused of bias.
>>
>> I would suggest that you choose one of my suggested products for yourself
>> based on your own needs and your testing environment platforms.
>>
>> Unfortunately SuperPreview is not my preferred IE testing product
>> although I
>> occasionally use Expression Web on my Vista x86 machine. If you are
>> testing
>> IE Addons then the only choice is virtual images. I have not mentioned
>> here,
>> in this post, my own personal preference.<wink>
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message
>>> On 1/12/2010 3:40 PM On a whim, rob^_^ pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. But this sounds rather vague,
>>> "Expression Web SuperPreview for Internet Explorer shows your web pages
>>> rendered in Internet Explorer 6 and either Internet Explorer 7 or
>>> Internet
>>> Explorer 8, depending on which version you have installed on your
>>> machine."
>>>
>>> Depending on which version? So if I have 6, that's it? Or does it allow
>>> all 3 with any version of IE installed?
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>> --
>>> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
>>> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
>>>

> Thanks Rob.  Superpreview works great. I had to install IE8 to have the
> ability to view in all 3 browser modes, but as long as I have IE6 view
> capability, I'm good.  That was difficult finding that info out about
> using 3 viewing modes.
>

> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

0
rob

Re-Installation of Office H/S 2003
Have a desktop which I purchased a retail version of Office S&T 2003. Installed no problem have my Key code. For Christmas I bought a laptop. I uninstalled several programs on my desktop that I no longer use to clear up some RAM. I installed a Belkin Wireless Router for the laptop, no problems. The laptop works great. BUT, now my outlook says "Microsoft Office Outlook has not been installed for current user. Please Run SET UP to install application". I have done this 4 times, it does not ask me for my Key, just says intallation complete. Then when I go to pul...

Clean-up in OnDestroy
Hi, In my dialog based MFC application I put all clean-up code into OnClose (). Recently I noticed that calling EndDialog () closes the application but without executing OnClose (). So I move my clean-up code into OnDestroy (). May this cause any validity problems? Thanks in advance What are you cleaning up? If the cleanup does not require access to the controls then you should put the cleanup code in the destructor. AliR. "K�r�at" <xx@yy.com> wrote in message news:OGiL391tIHA.4560@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > In my dialog based MFC application I p...

Updating the value of Sales Header automatically in Sales Line
I am using Microsoft Navision ERP. I have created one field in Sales Line Header Table and One Field in Sales Line Table. I want whenever a value is entered in above Sales Header Field the same should automatically gets updated in Sales Line Field of that particular Sales Order. Can any body guide me how to achieve above functionality? ...

CRM 1.2 Installation
Because CRM1.2 quit working, and after much frustration, I have taken my server to completely uninstalling sql 2000, IIS, Exchange Server, CRM 1.2. I am now back to msqlserver2005 std edition, exchange server and is working, IIS installed and working. Problem is as I am installing CRM 1.2, I get the message an organization named "MyOrganizationName" already exists, Please delete the organization or provide a different organization name". Where is this orgainzation located? Does this deletion take place in SQL 2005, or somewhere in CRM. I have tried to create a new o...

NDR with each sent email when Blackberry software is installed
Hello! While fixing other issues unrelated to a client's email, I ended up installing the latest version of the Blackberry software to eliminate an incompatibility between it and his Palm software. With the Palm syncing to Outlook using the latest software, the Blackberry Desktop Manager would open, crash, pop up an error report, then close. Installing the Blackberry software service pack 3 fixed that issue. Now he gets and NDR each time he sends email from Outlook 2000 (on XP Professional). ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- network@etp.us.blackberry....

Error registering GetFavorateSummary trigger after installing Dynamics GP Service Pack
After installing the Service Pack for Dynamics GP the following Dexterity Runtime error is displayed when logging in to GP: "An unexpected error was encountered trying to register the trigger: GetFavoriteSummary. Error 2. This trigger will be disabled." You can click OK, login, and everything appers to be fine. This happens on all clients including the client installed on the SQL Server. Does anyone know how to resolve this? Well, one of the 3rd party products you have loaded is triggering on something and it's failing, likely because the parameters have changed in the ser...

Ctrl-H crashing Excel 2002 fixed by Office XP SP3.
In thread "Ctrl-H crashes Excel 2002", a couple of dozen threads before this one, I reported that, in Excel 2002 without Service Packs applied: After you do a search by Values (as opposed to Formulas), henceforth Ctrl-H crashes Excel. (You could prevent that by reassigning Ctrl-H to a macro.) Thanks to Mike Mendelson & Dave Peterson, I found that Office XP SP3 fixes the problem. (I don't know which SP fixed the bug--1, 2, or 3.) Now, Ctrl-H brings up the Search dialog without crashing. *** ...

clean a photo
where do I get the toolbar for help in cleaning up a photo. the tool bar was there now it is not. please I need help I wasn't aware that Visio allowed you to edit bitmapped images... but if you had originally pasted your image in from another program (as an OLE object), when you double-click on that object, the container application should boot up, and the toolbars on the screen would change as well. Perhaps that is what happened. What kind of features did the toolbar have? Did you create the image in another application? - Jeff Chapman "tupskeeke" <tupskeeke@discussions...

Gremlin in Excel 97 running on Windows XP Home edition
When transferring Excel files to Excel 97 installed on Windows XP Home Ed. from Excel 97 installed on Windows 95 or 98, the "Save as" window shows only the first letter of the file's name and will not accept the full name of the file even when completed manually by typing it in. The file saves only as "(First letter).xls". The file name must be completed in Excel once the file has been saved by going into the "Open file" menu window and right-clicking on the file name, then typing in the full name. However, it then automatically adds in the ".xl...

Installation Files for QS2000 #2
We have a client that we are in the process of switching from RMS to QS2000. QS2000 is currently on a Win98 machine and the new RMS has already been installed and setup on a new XP Pro machine. The clients want to install the QS2000 on the new XP Pro machine to have for history. (The new db on RMS was created from scratch) But they have lost there isntallation CD long ago. Does anyone have or know where I can obtain the installations files for QS2000? Rob Rob, This might work; In the download section of PartnerSource | Product Releases there is a demo download from 2003. http://t...

Office X 'clean' reinstall: delete all old files?
I'm about to try installing the latest bug-fix collection, sorry. "security update" for Office X, 10.1.6. I'm hoping it might reduce the frequency of Word's charming crashes. Who knows, I might get lucky and it'll even fix the completely messed up 'contact' feature in Word that is grayed out most of the time, but when it decides to work, will only list the 'A's' from my address book. Just useless. Anyway, back to the plot: since my Office X is so bent out of shape, I figure I'll do a 'clean install' from the original disk first, then...

AllowAdditions updates record?
Greetings:I have a form that opens with AllowAdditions set to false. When theuser clicks the Add command button, I set AllowAdditions to true, moveto a new record, and set AllowAdditions back to false. Trouble is,setting AllowAdditions to false apparently causes Access to try tosave the new record, which in turn throws a key violation errorbecause the user hasn't entered any data yet.1. Am I correct in assuming the changing the AllowAdditions propertytriggers an update?2. Is there a way to disallow additions without Access trying to savethe new record?TIAKeith > 1. Am I correct in assum...

Crystal Reports and GP 9, gpconn, and security
We're currently running our specialized reports through a .net program that uses gpconn to read it's tables and then using crystal.tableinfo to create a crystal object and login using a hardcoded username and password. There just doesn't seem to be any way to do it since the .net crystal reports HAS to have a username and password...and gpconn is going to return me the decoded password. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a connection to the database without resorting to a hardcoded username and password? You have the following two options: 1. A...

Convert Excel file to Microsoft Works 6.0
I have the opposite situation. I have someone who has Microsoft Works 6.0 and I need to send them an Excel spreadsheet. Is there anyway to convert from Excel down to MS Works? They should be able to hit File / Open in WORKS and simply select xls files from the list that will be offered. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) -----------------------------------------...

Updating Student,Teachers version Office XP
After updating the above version on the pc at work, when using outlook to read emails, after downloading the latest unread emails, a box appears saying that a program wishes to access the contacts/address book. It does not say which program, when you click help it says that you can give permission to allow access for upto 10 minutes but warns that it may be a virus. The pc is always kept upto date re anti-virus and firewall. After scanning machine no virus or worms or trojans were found. There does not appear to be a way of stopping this from happening. The pc has two user accounts o...

installing microsoft office
I was temporarily using the student version of office that i got from a friend until my full version came in. I uninstalled that version the only way I knew how (dragging it to the trash can and then empyting the trash) and then restarted my mac. I installed the full version of office for mac, but it thought that I was reinstalling the student version, filling in the old product key for me...never giving me the opportunity to fill in the new one. Is there a settings file or something that I am missing when I delete the program? How do I get it so that I can type in the correct product key...

Using namespaces? I've some messy nested contexts that I want to clean up...
Hi, I've got the following code structure Class A { ... private: Class B { public: enum C { ENUM X } C MyVar; C MyFunc() } } So for function definitions in B I have to write A::B::C A::B::MyFunc() and for objects of B in A if(pb->MyVar==B::ENUM_X) It's all just a bit messy. Isn't it. Someone please help. Regards. ...

Scatter plot - macro OK
If I have 2 rows of data, say, A1 to C1 and A2 to C2 and record a macro :- Charts Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlXYScatter ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source := Sheets ( " Sheet1 " ).Range ( " A1 : C2 " ), plotby := xlrows This works - I get 3 pairs of co-ordinates in a graph. When I use the equivalent code in a VB6 program :- Set ch = wbook1.Charts.Add With ch ..ChartType = xlXYScatter ..ChartWizard Source := wsheet1.Range ( " A1 : C2 " ) , plotby := xlRows End With I get SIX separate points , 2 at x axis co-ordinate 1 , 2 more at x=2 etc. I hav...

Install Problem
I get an error whne trying to instal GP on a workstation saying Microsoft ..NET Framework 2.0 can't be found. KB article told me to remove Microsoft ..NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 which I can't because I get Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 cannot be uninstalled because it will affect other applications. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi Dear, Please uninstall MS .NET framework 2.0 SP2 now and install GP, run and configure it accordingly and then install MS .NET framework SP2 again. GP and other applications will work without any problem. Thanks "...

Bypass security prompts
How can I bypass the security prompts when creating a mail message from code? Thanks In news:096101c34700$b3030ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl, Tyler <tguenther@irm-systems.com> typed: > How can I bypass the security prompts when creating a > mail message from code? > > Thanks is this the one "A program is trying to access your addressbook"? If so AFAIK you can't. -- (I may be wrong...I usually am....) Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ...

Very slow SmartList Exploring
I have a client who experiences extremely slow SmartList exploring - can take 10 minutes to return a dozen records. They are on a remote- hosted server, with a dedicated T1 LAN. The slowness comes when logged in via the fat client ODBC connection. Logging in via remote desktop produces much faster results. Where are the typical choke points in an environment like this? Thanks, Frank Hamelly, MCP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Going over a T1 is not a good way to go. There's too much latency. You should use Terminal Server or Citrix or Remote Desktop or something that gets the m...

Spreadsheet cleaning
I downloaded info from another program to a spreadsheet. I am trying to clean up the data so I can use it. Please let me know if there is a way to do the following preferably without VBA. Post either solution but I'm just not too comfortable with VBA yet. What I want to do is to seek out every cell with an "*" and have Excel delete the entire row. Doing a sort would not be an option because the order of the data is important for my needs. Thank -RA Add a new column (say column A) Put 1 in A1 and put 2 in A2 select A1:A2 and drag it down your data using the autofil...

0x800703E3 installing Windows Update Agent
Using XP SP3, I am getting the following when trying to install the latest update agent (windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe). I'd appreciate any help! 2010-01-20 22:44:19:140 3976 1700 Misc =========== Logging initialized (build: 7.4.7600.226, tz: -0600) =========== 2010-01-20 22:44:19:140 3976 1700 Misc = Process: d:\7b8ddf66cf37fb5bcb524483\wusetup.exe 2010-01-20 22:44:19:140 3976 1700 Setup Windows Update Client standalone setup : resource dll path is d:\7b8ddf66cf37fb5bcb524483\en\wusetup.exe.mui 2010-01-20 22:44:19:140 3976 1700 Setup *********** Setup: Checking whether ...

Save window folder list
When saving an excel document (excel 2000) the "save as" window opens up and contains five shortcut buttons on the left side. These are "history, my documents, network places, desktop and favorites". Is there a way of changing the shortcut buttons to different folders??? Also when I try to save an attached excel file from an email it lists "OLK3" as the default save in folder. Can I change the default "save in" folder?? Thanks for your help. Gerry XL2002...don't know about 2000......may be the same. File>Open. In the Look in: box, browse t...

Money 2001 Re-install issue
Had to remove Money 2001 (Disk Problem) When I re-install and try to run I get this error Msg.:"Error loading type library/DLL." Also, if I click on menu bar it states that I don't have enough memory. (Have 86% resources free) Have uninstalled and re-installed several times with All programs shut down except explorer and systray...Same result. Running Win98 SE 256 Meg Ram Plenty of hard disk space. Program was working fine before this! Frustrated. Please assist if possible. Thanks for any consideration but I have the Prob. fixed. Uninstalled (again). Deleted all Money director...