Cannot open url's after IE8 Update noe Rollback to IE7

Using a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP3 which has McAfee Security Center
on it.  Important to note, the subscription is current EXCEPT that the McAfee
firewall portion is saying it is out of date..... I will address this further
below.

IE8 diagnose the problem tells me my network is perfectly fine and that ftp,
http, and https all work.  Firefox works.  Someone logging in remotely to my
machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.

I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter ** SO **
I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do this
.... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I cannot go in
and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I cannot see why that
would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was going to uninstall all of
McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt for re-install and
........  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up apps in msconfig and it
made no difference.

So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.

Any ideas ???  Help please!  Thank you.

Did you disable all McAfee components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
installing/uninstalling IE7 and/or IE8 and/or SP3?

Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it; one or more earlier versions of McAfee Security Center)?

Did you ever have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP after having
installed IE7 and/or IE8?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Sarah C wrote:
> Using a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP3 which has McAfee Security
> Center
> on it.  Important to note, the subscription is current EXCEPT that the
> McAfee firewall portion is saying it is out of date..... I will address
> this further below.
>
> IE8 diagnose the problem tells me my network is perfectly fine and that
> ftp,
> http, and https all work.  Firefox works.  Someone logging in remotely to
> my
> machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.
>
> I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter ** SO
> **
> I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do
> this ... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I
> cannot go in and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I
> cannot see why that would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was going
> to uninstall all of McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt
> for
> re-install and .......  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up apps
> in msconfig and it made no difference.
>
> So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.
>
> Any ideas ???  Help please!  Thank you.

0
PA
12/22/2009 4:58:55 PM
I disabled all McAfee components via msconfig prior to uninstalling IE8
however this did not resolve the issue.  Now back to the original IE7, the
issue remains.

No other McAfee or Norton on this unit prior and even checked Control Panel
as sometimes I know Live Update from Norton can hang around from other
products.

Did not remove XP-SP3 by the way.  How this all happened was simply choosing
to install all Windows updates said to be needed including IE8.  After that
install, the problem presented itself.  Was never able to succesfully connect
vie IE8 and again, still cannot with IE7.

Windows Firewall is turned off and going to uninstall McAfee totally to see
if that resolves the issue.  Hopefully this is not the case as if I can
install Firefox which was never on the machine before .... and it just works
without me having to tell McAfee, why would not the same thing be true for
IE8 ... especially since IE7 was working prior and was simply updated???

Very frustrating.  Thanks for your help and will appreciate anything further
you might suggest.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you disable all McAfee components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
> firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
> installing/uninstalling IE7 and/or IE8 and/or SP3?
>
> Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it; one or more earlier versions of McAfee Security Center)?
>
> Did you ever have occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP after having
> installed IE7 and/or IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Sarah C wrote:
> > Using a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP3 which has McAfee Security
> > Center
> > on it.  Important to note, the subscription is current EXCEPT that the
> > McAfee firewall portion is saying it is out of date..... I will address
> > this further below.
> >
> > IE8 diagnose the problem tells me my network is perfectly fine and that
> > ftp,
> > http, and https all work.  Firefox works.  Someone logging in remotely to
> > my
> > machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.
> >
> > I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter ** SO
> > **
> > I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do
> > this ... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I
> > cannot go in and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I
> > cannot see why that would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was going
> > to uninstall all of McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt
> > for
> > re-install and .......  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up apps
> > in msconfig and it made no difference.
> >
> > So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.
> >
> > Any ideas ???  Help please!  Thank you.
>
> .

> I disabled all McAfee components via msconfig prior to uninstalling IE8...

Did you do so before you installed IE8?

What's the full name & version of the McAfee application (e.g., McAfee
Security Center 2009) and is your subscription current?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed your current
McAfee application & version?

> Windows Firewall is turned off and going to uninstall McAfee totally to
> see
> if that resolves the issue.

Never, ever connect to the internet without an enabled firewall!  If you
disable the McAfee firewall, enable the Windows Firewall and vice versa.

McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading)
cleanly.  If you want to remove/reinstall the McAfee application, use this
three-step method: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

If you want to replace the McAfee application with something else, do Steps
#1 and #2 before installing the new application.

Sarah C wrote:
> [...]
>>> my
>>> machine works.  Ping yahoo.com works.
>>>
>>> I have reset my all in one DSL modem/router but that did not matter **
>>> SO
>>> **
>>> I uninstalled IE8 which took the machine back down to IE7.  Why did I do
>>> this ... not being able to configure the McAfee firewall means that I
>>> cannot go in and see if I need to tell it to allow IE8 to function.  I
>>> cannot see why that would matter as IE7 functioned just fine.  I was
>>> going
>>> to uninstall all of McAfee however I could not locate my online receipt
>>> for
>>> re-install and .......  someone helping me turned off the 3 start up
>>> apps
>>> in msconfig and it made no difference.
>>>
>>> So now the problem still exists having rolled back to IE7.

0
PA

WIN X Sp2 IE8.0 killed by CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE and or ? Cant get IE8 to access the web
Tonite, I Contracted 39 versions of what SuperAntiSpyware calls: ROGUE.AGENT/GEN in my Registry HKUS\S-1-5-21 (see below) etc (in 39 different file endings) and TROJAN.AGENT/GEN-FakeSpy[Broad] 3 copies 1. in HKUS\S-1-5-21-2952124706-32014773-2762605872-1007Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run(jdfecxfs- C:\Documentsand Settings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData\ubqllk\cpxrsysguard.exe and The other two in C:\ DocSettings\Alan\LocalSettings\ApplicationData where it again opened a Folder named UBQLLK and inserted 2 copies of CPXRSYSGUARD.EXE It beg...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Using Workflow to update a picklist property.
How can we modify a value of a picklist in the workflow? For example when someone modify a picklist property on the Contact, I want the picklist property on Account with the same options is changed as well. How to do this? Create a new workflow under contact. Check Start when: “Record attributes change” Hit “select” button and chose respective pick list attribute (Changes to the attribute will trigger this workflow) Now add steps to the workflow 1) Check condition - select the contact pick list and pick list value from set properties 2) Add another step "Update record" Select “...

Office X 10.1.2 Update Failed
I'm new to the Mac OS X although pretty experienced with Windows XP and Office. When I try to update my original install of Office X, I get error message 11002:2,-14. I read the Read Me and troubleshooting section, turned off the virus protection and removed the Microsoft Office Plugin file as directed in the troubleshooting. None of this helped. I noticed (remember I'm new to Macs) I can move a copy of the Microsoft Office X directory to another hard drive, and clicking on Entrouage or any program opens it just fine (including all the mail). Of course, that would be impossible in...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

IE7 and CDHtmlDialog
Hello, I'm using CDHtmlDialog in my application to display an HTML file. However, on machines where IE7 is installed the html images are not displayed. Anyone know the reason (or the change made to IE7) casuing that? Thanks, Janiv Ratson. Hi, I'm using CDHtmlDialog and I've got IE7 RC1 installed too. But in my case e.g. GIF files are displayed correctly. Problem is, when I'm trying to display PNG files on HTML (I wrote about it yesterday). Now I'm not sure what is wrong my implementation (but it is simple img tag) or environment with IE7 onboard ;). Marcin Domaslaw...

Need an open house sign in sheet

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

Update Link Tables from Excel
I recently got an update from Office 97 to Office 2003. We're just slightly behind the times. Anyway, I had an access database in 97 that would link to an Excel file that I would use to add data to the Excel file based upon information in a master table in Access. Now when I try to run the query in Access 2003, it gives me an error that it is not an updateable query. I suppose I could export the master data to an Excel spreadsheet and use a VLookup function, copy and paste to all the records that need to be updated and the copy and paste values, but I originally did...

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

Windows updates won't install
I am using a Windows XP Professional computer with service pack 3. When the update icon (yellow diamond) appeared in my systray I tried to install the following three updates: 1) Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) 2) Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and >net Framework 2.0 Security Update for Windows 2000. Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB979909) 3) Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168) Although the updates completed, app...

EXCEL Files open Slow

update many fields in a form from existing info.
I have 2 tables. One table stores various information about companies including company name, address, etc. The second table stores student names. In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and, as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked to the company name table at all). What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one company from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form automatically fill in - pulling the ...

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

Excel won't open in Office XP
Hi all, I have had a problem for the last few weeks opening up my Excel files When I try to open the files, a Window Installer dialouge box appear looking for the Office XP Professional Disk. My Office was preinstalle by my school, which is now complete. If I cancel the Window Installer consectutive times it leaves my new Excel document open and I can work Does anyone know what I need to configure to have Excel open up normall again ? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, 'Kusty' (kusty@accesscomm.ca -- kust --------------------------------------------------------------------...