Cannot display page error

Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
continues to try and connect but nothing happens.

I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
(in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.

Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
Complete novice

Hi,

First always please state your Windows version and IE version when posting
to these newsgroups and the MS Answers web sites.
(Assuming IE8 on any supported Windows version)

What is your homepage?

MSN, Yahoo, Google?

Which country are you located in? (if you don't know what your homepage is
set to)

Ok, first up, restart your computer to clear any unwanted IE processes
(technical term for unseen IE windows)

Try
Tools>Compatibility View Settings - check "Include updated web site
information from Microsoft" (best solution)
(Oh, of coarse if you can't start IE, you cant access this menu option....
there is no other way (from Control Panel) to access Compatibility View
Settings.... this may be a showstopper for you.... Post back with your
Windows version and IE version for instructions on how to re-install IE8 on
your computer (if not Win7).. otherwise try setting your homepage to
about:blank (instructions below)).

If your homepage is set to your email provider or igoogle or myyahoo or
mymsn etc then you should also add those sites to your Trusted Sites list
(Start>Control Panel>Internet Options, Security tab, Trusted Sites, 'Sites'
button.

If any of those suggestions do not work go
Start>Control Panel>Internet Options - General tab and set your (only)
homepage to about:blank and clear your secondary homepages.

Save changes and try starting IE again.

Regards.

"Complete Novice" <Complete Novice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F5EF8219-83F7-452F-A50B-DCF06AA6A8B2@microsoft.com...
> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but
> am
> not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do
> next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice

0
rob
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Complete Novice wrote:
> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but
> am
> not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do
> next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice

0
PA
1/17/2010 5:33:18 AM

"Complete Novice" wrote:

> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
> not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice
Open a Dos Screen, type at the prompt tracert www.yahoo.com, and see if you
can trace a route to yahoo at layer three on dos, without the layer 7
application, if not then you most likely have a DNS issue on your router,  or
you are not being issued a DHCP address from your router, so therefore you
cannot surf the web. Very Very Possible.

"Complete Novice" wrote:

> Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>
> I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
> not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
> (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>
> Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> Complete novice
My friend had the same problem with cannot display web page. He deleted IE8
and went back to IE7. Problem solved. I've been told that if you have had IE7
and updated to IE8 and now deleted IE8 the system wil go back to IE7. Have
not tried this.
-- I had the freezing problem. Deleted all adobe products and reloaded them.
Problem went away.
chuck

"LaMar" wrote:

> Open a Dos Screen, type at the prompt tracert www.yahoo.com, and see if you
> can trace a route to yahoo at layer three on dos, without the layer 7
> application, if not then you most likely have a DNS issue on your router,  or
> you are not being issued a DHCP address from your router, so therefore you
> cannot surf the web. Very Very Possible.
>

> "Complete Novice" wrote:
>
> > Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer) it
> > won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
> > continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
> >
> > I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings but am
> > not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do next
> > (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
> >
> > Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
> > Complete novice
Hi Chuck,

Please use the term 'Uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs control Panel'
instead of Delete.

Novice users may take your words literally. If they Delete any installed
programs instead of Un-installing them they will be foobared.

Regards.

"Chuck" <Snaaafu@ hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My friend had the same problem with cannot display web page. He deleted
> IE8
> and went back to IE7. Problem solved. I've been told that if you have had
> IE7
> and updated to IE8 and now deleted IE8 the system wil go back to IE7. Have
> not tried this.
> -- I had the freezing problem. Deleted all adobe products and reloaded
> them.
> Problem went away.
> chuck
>

> "LaMar" wrote:
>
>> Open a Dos Screen, type at the prompt tracert www.yahoo.com, and see if
>> you
>> can trace a route to yahoo at layer three on dos, without the layer 7
>> application, if not then you most likely have a DNS issue on your router,
>> or
>> you are not being issued a DHCP address from your router, so therefore
>> you
>> cannot surf the web. Very Very Possible.
>>

>> "Complete Novice" wrote:
>>
>> > Although I can connect to internet explorer (on my daughter's computer)
>> > it
>> > won't connect to any websites and just says "can't display page" and
>> > continues to try and connect but nothing happens.
>> >
>> > I have tested my connections and reset the internet explorer settings
>> > but am
>> > not getting very far.  Would someone be able to advise me on what to do
>> > next
>> > (in very simple gargon) before I take it to the repair shop.
>> >
>> > Hoping someone can tell me what to do very soon.
>> > Complete novice

0
rob

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

crystal report error 07-14-04
when i try to open a built in reports witch come with CRM it gives an error "Object doesn't support this property or method " the page of the report is displayed and the tools above appear normaly but in the body of the report the page is blank and this massage appear "Object doesn't support this property or method " anyone have an idea or saw this before? thanks in advance ...

how do you save a multiple page newsletter in Publisher?
I have a 4 page newsletter I would like to email our clients. What format do I save it to? Convert it to a pdf file and send it as an attachment. Many folks here like the free Primopdf program which you can get at www.primopdf.conm If you have e-mail addresses and websites in your newsletter you may want a pdf creating program that will make them active in the pdf file. An excellent modestly priced program is PDF-XChange which you can get at http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/ -- Don Vancouver, USA "Insurancegirl" <Insurancegirl @discussions.microsoft.com>...

outlook 2002 sending error
can't send e-mail, recieve system administrator error message: 550 not local host whatever.com, not a gateway please help Go into the Properties of the email account select More Settings > Outgoing server and check "My Outgoing Server requires Authentication", if this doesn't work I would contact your ISP "john" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:008f01c3d920$6d528010$a101280a@phx.gbl... > can't send e-mail, recieve system administrator error > message: 550 not local host whatever.com, not a gateway > > please ...

Error When Going Offline 12-29-05
Hi, We just reimplemented CRM in new server by taking the data from the old one. Some clients who used SFO unable to go offline. When offline toolbar was click and initializing started, then there was an error "cannot generate sspi text" and "metadata cache error - no entity" Does anyone know how to solve this issue?? Thx Carrie ...

Display Time in Outlook

Errors After Re-Installing Office 2004
Hi there, I had to re-install Office 2004 as I discovered part of my installation was missing key elements that I use. However, I am now having two major problems. I have not yet downloaded the Office Updates and am not sure if these will resolve these issues. This is because the server keeps going off-line. Get part way through and then it gives an error messages (not communicating) and having to start from scratch again. This is the cumulative update for May 8th, 58.5 MB (11.3.5). I'm using an Intel iMac with OS X 10.4.9. 1. In Entourage only, I receive "This identity cann...

How to select & display distinct values

Ping Brian Tillman re Errors in connecting to POP mailbox
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C55538.4DB27E00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Brian I posted a transcript of the Outlook logfile on 5 May - did you see it? --=20 Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk ------=_NextPart_000_0036_01C55538.4DB27E00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HT...

Notebook Layout View: No page width zoom, cheesy backgrounds
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just upgraded to Word 2008 and I just want to vent. I can't believe there's no page width zoom in Notebook Layout View. <br><br>I also really hate the forced view of cheesy backgrounds like woodgrain, leather and titanium. I want to outline and take notes--not to see the tacky interior design preferences of Microsoft engineers. > I just upgraded to Word 2008 and I just want to vent. I can't believe there's > no page width zoom in Notebook Layout View. There is. The zoom...

Extra Page In Report
Hello, I am having a bit of an issue with a report that I have. The report consists of a main report with two sub reports which may or may not appear, depending on certain criteria. The issue is that I will often have a blank page at the end of the report with just the footer showing. I have tried adjusting the widths and heights and confirmed that they are not the problem. Has anybody encountered this problem before? If so, what steps were taken to remedy the situation. Any help is well appreciated. Dave Duffy I'm not an expert but you might try the following. If the number ...

PK and FK Displayed

Excel error message not understood
Has anyone ever gotten the error message "Too many different formats"? If so, what exactly does it mean and what can a user do about it? The following MSKB article has information on the error message: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213904 Jimbo wrote: > Has anyone ever gotten the error message "Too many > different formats"? If so, what exactly does it mean and > what can a user do about it? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Web Services install error
Hi everyone, I keep getting the following error when I try to install web services or econnect. Error Number = 25001 Error Description = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'VOIDED'. Error Source = eConnectInstall90.LoadProcs.AddSQLStoredProcedureLine Number = 240 I have the Web server and SQL Server on separate machine. Does anyone know what the problem is? When I try to install web services on the web server, i get this message. When i install econnect on the sql server, i also get this message. thanks, nick I finally figured it out. It ha...

Stop displaying a line

Smartheap Library Error
v7.x Great Plains - Has anyone experienced Smartheap Library errors when leaving the system on (for example, if you have the Sales Document numbers smartlist open) for an extended period of time and coming back to it later? Is this a known constraint in Great Plains? The typical error message is "SmartHeap error handler recursively re-entered". Thanks Hey YCI ... hopefully you'll see this post. One of our users used to get a smartheap error in r7 ... in his case it was w/ reference to the mfg pegging window. I was told that ... Great Plains can only handle "7 laye...

Display or not display series

KB976098 won't install. Error code 800F0900, unknown error
Windows update fails to install KB976098. Also tried manually to install with same failing result. Windows update did install KB970653 on 8/23/09. "Tgray" wrote: > Windows update fails to install KB976098. Also tried manually to install > with same failing result. Windows update did install KB970653 on 8/23/09. I use Windows 7, 64 bit version. Update KB976098 gets into an eternal update loop every time. It never finishes, not even after a full night waiting. If I then press sleep or hybernate, the system continues updating when I restart again and I ...

how can i delete automatic page breaks in excel
I have copied an excel spreadsheet from my computer 2003 version to another computer with 2007 version. It was meant to be only 1 page but comes up in the 2007 version as 9 pages.I can't seem to remove the page breaks as they are broken lines (automatic).Help!!!!!!! I really need this to fit ti 1 page If you are talking about when you go to print it, go to File --> Page Setup, under the "Page" tab, select the Scaling to be "Fit to 1 page(s) wide by 1 tall" and press "OK." Hope this helps, Jim ...