Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of text
(e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc). Sometimes it
takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I click submit, I get
a response saying the session has timed out, and the text that took me a
long time to compose is gone.

Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't work.
Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?

0
james

The portion of the web page containing your text may or may not be in
TIF, but here's what I do: Before I hit the 'Submit' button I copy and
paste the text I wrote to Wordpad or Notepad. Learned that lesson the
hard way.  ;-)

It's not the browser's fault that your session timed out, or -- I hate
this -- when you click the Submit button and get a 'server error' message.

Firefox has at least one add-on that saves submitted text; I believe
it's called Lazarus (aptly named). It would be nice if someone would
write a similar add-on for IE.

On a similar topic: Before I get on an internet chat with technical
support, I enter all my questions and possible rejoinders to Wordpad.
That way I know I'll get my point across, and I'm less likely to get
flustered by having to type while they're saying "Is there anything else
I can help you with today?"
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

james wrote:
> Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of
> text (e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc).
> Sometimes it takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I
> click submit, I get a response saying the session has timed out, and the
> text that took me a long time to compose is gone.
>
> Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't
> work. Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?
0
Leonard
3/8/2010 4:03:16 PM
Compose yout text with NotePad (START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>NOTEPAD), then
Select All and Copy, then go to the submission page and Paste.

In answer to your question, no, the stuff you type is gone forever.

"james" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of text
> (e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc). Sometimes
> it takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I click submit, I
> get a response saying the session has timed out, and the text that took me
> a long time to compose is gone.
>
> Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't
> work. Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?

0
Jeff
> The portion of the web page containing your text may or may not be in TIF,
> but here's what I do: Before I hit the 'Submit' button I copy and paste
> the text I wrote to Wordpad or Notepad. Learned that lesson the hard way.
> ;-)
>
> It's not the browser's fault that your session timed out, or -- I hate
> this -- when you click the Submit button and get a 'server error' message.
>
> Firefox has at least one add-on that saves submitted text; I believe it's
> called Lazarus (aptly named). It would be nice if someone would write a
> similar add-on for IE.
>
> On a similar topic: Before I get on an internet chat with technical
> support, I enter all my questions and possible rejoinders to Wordpad. That
> way I know I'll get my point across, and I'm less likely to get flustered
> by having to type while they're saying "Is there anything else I can help
> you with today?"
> ---

I _hate_ that! They click Send, and that steals the focus from the Input Box
where I'm typing, and I don't notice until I click Send and a partial
thought gets posted.

0
Jeff

text form field
I am trying to create a template that has areas that can be filled in. Obviously this can be done in word. Does someone have a link to a vid or something that explains how to create these boxes? Also I want the boxes to be evident that they are there... maybe a line or highlight but that indication should disappear once the form is filled in. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/FillinTheBlanks.htm and especially the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http:/...

Text search
How do I search text backwards - from right to left? Elizabeth, Post an example of what you are searching, and what it is that you want to find. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Elizabeth" <Elizabeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19F4CA7B-7581-4677-904B-95CA40E648B6@microsoft.com... > How do I search text backwards - from right to left? On a worksheet??? If you change the options the way you want (by rows???), then instead of clicking on the find button, just shift-click on that Find button. Elizabeth wrote: > > How do I search text backwards -...

Help using Add/Replace Text Feature
I need to do a standard add/replace of text, but I also need to OMIT some text. For example, I need to FIND: John Replace with: TOM OMIT: John (David) I need to replace 250 instances of "John" while Omitting 2400 instances of "John (David)" How? Do it in several steps. First replace John (David) with XXXXX; Then replace John with Tom; then replace XXXXX with John (David) Or you could write a macro, but for a one time exercise, it is probably not worth it. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my...

Wrap text cuts off on print
User has a cell with alot of text in it. User is wrapping text Text is cut off when printed Office XP, Excel2002 Are there additional text functions to try to fitting in width content in a cell for printing? Is there is a maximum cell content? Could the cut off problem be caused by the Print Area? Maybe you could try movng the Margins to expand, or use Fit to 1 pag or Adjust to a smaller percent in the Scaling option of the Page tab i the Page Setup dialog box? Also, how about using Shrink to fit in addition to Wrap text? I don't know about a maximum cell content but I just entered t...

Macro to open text files and copy their contents.
Hi all, Is there a way for a Macro to open a text file, then copy it's contents to a spreadsheet and name the tab so it matches the name of the text file? Then repeat this for 200+ text files in the same folder? I thought I saw a solution here a while ago but I couldn't find it. Thanks, Art Here is my attempt. Note: The help file for the FileSystemObject says that "readall" wastes memory resources on large files. There must be sufficient blank sheets in the workbook. The text added to the worksheet includes some of the line feed characters. (using Dana DeL...

Charting and analyzing Times' times data for trends
Hello, all, I have created a spreadsheet in Excel 2000 that tracks the amount of time it has taken me on various dates to finish the New York Time crossword puzzle, and now I'm being asked to analyze that information for trends. The XLS file can be found at http://barelybad.com/xwd_times_may04_2005_138.xls. Only rows 10:426 matter. Is it possible to chart all seven days' worth of data (dates on the x-axis and times on the y-axis) on one chart? I would have thought so, but I can't figure it out. Also, you'll see from where I tried to chart the Monday times that the result ...

Forcing Outlook 2003 Not To Use Rich Text (WINMAIL.DAT)
Hi there, I'm having a problem with my Outlook 2003 (which many others appear to be having as well) whereby Outlook insists on sending some messages as Outlook Rich Text Format, and of course non-Outlook recipients receive a message with the infamous WINMAIL.DAT attachment. I had imported my Contacts from Outlook 2000, and I believe that somewhere during the export & import process, the Internet format for the e-mail addresses of all my contacts (which you can view in the E-mail Properties dialog box, by double-clicking a contact's e-mail address) was set to "Send using Outl...

Splitting text divided by carriage returns
I have a report in which multiple responses are provided in a single cell. The responses appear on different lines as if these had been added with a carriage return (i.e. as entered using ALT and RETURN). I know that you can normally split cell contents into columns using the Convert Text to Columns Wizard under DATA / TEXT TO COLUMNS and then Delimited, however I don't know what the character or feature would be for soft carriage returns. Any ideas on this or an alternate methodology? Use the sequence ALT + 010 in the other delimiter box. Use the Number pad to enter t...

How do I concatenate a text field from a form to a "Where" string ?
Hi In the following, "id_Part" is a text field in a report. Me.txtPart is a field on my input form. strWhere is the condition for opening the report. How do I concatenate the Me.txtPart so it is text (surrounded by single quotes) in the strWhere ? In other words, I want the strWhere string to evaluate to the following: id_Part = '95405' (where 95405 is what is entered on the form) Dim strReport As String 'Name of report to open. Dim strField As String 'Name of your date field. Dim strWhere As String 'Where condition for OpenReport. ...

customer email field is grayed out at random times
I have a client that has HQ and 2 stores and when a clerk enters a new customer the the email field is "greyed out", but other fields are fine. This happens at random times. They can create new customers all day and then all sudden the email field is greyed out for one customer, but the next new customer is fine. I checked the security level settings and their is none set. I recently deleted duplicate customers using a script I got from MS tech support and I not sure that could of cause the problem. Thank you for your support Thanks Dave ...

Word document text in body of E-mail
Good morning, Office 2003, Windows XP SP2. I would like to send an E-mail from word and have the word document sent as the body of the E-mail, not as an attachment. Anyone know how to make this happen? Thanks in advance. Robert <rjposey@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187968064.169344.262610@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Good morning, > Office 2003, Windows XP SP2. > > I would like to send an E-mail from word and have the word document > sent as the body of the E-mail, not as an attachment. Anyone know > how > to make this happen? Thanks in advance. > &...

long text not visible in the cell of excel

Passing text into a formula?
I have a payroll file that contains a sheet for every week of the year, and in order to calcualte holiday pay, I use a formula to calculate total hours worked by each employee, such as: =SUM('12 Apr:22 Nov'!AT16) where '12 Apr:22 Nov' is obviously the range of dates. This is a pain as I have to manually enter any date changes to all employees rows - several dozen! - each time. How can I put the date range into a cell as text and get the formula to relate to it? Thanks. Let's say first sheet name is in A1, second sheet name is in A2. =SUM(INDIRECT("...

Pivot tables lose of data fields when selecting
Having an issue with setting up pivot tables not to lose certain fields if users de-selects some. For example I have muliple column of data. a, b, c, d, e, f The user de-selects d, e, f; The next time they want to see D, E, F. The go back to the drop down menu and only see Show all, a, b, c. Is there anyway I can always keep them so they can reslect the data? I can go back into the wizard and add them back but that is time consuming and tring to teach that to 30 users is a bit tricky. ...

Create a timecard that can calculate time on a 12 hour format?
I am needing help creating and worksheet that I can calculate hours worked from a time clock, on a 12 hour format. Thank you! Hi! Look here for a free downloadable example file: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/timesht.htm Biff >-----Original Message----- >I am needing help creating and worksheet that I can calculate hours worked >from a time clock, on a 12 hour format. Thank you! >. > Hi, http://www.geocities.com/geo_marksway/excel_solutions/XLS/C lockWork.xls Here is the code: 'Clock On, Clock Off. A time difference that tells you how long you have _ worked....

Access text box
I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form design view, which worked fine up until the moment when i was back in form or table view. For some reason when I add detail in one of the cells of the new column it was automatically copied to every other cell in that new column. This has only been happening with the new columns and the ones I created using the wizard when starting the database seem to be working fine. What can I do about this? On 25 mrt, 12:19, FernP <Fe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form desig...

Request timed out
We have an aspx page that uploads photos (up to 6) and we are getting a "request timed out" error. Is it possible to simply increase a setting for that page only, and if so, how is that done. Thanks. -- David ...

How to schedule the desired time to send a mail?
Please tell how can I send an email in absence of me, at a desirable time. Himanshu Verma <Himanshu Verma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Please tell how can I send an email in absence of me, at a desirable > time. Before clicking Send, click View>Options and set the delivery time there. If you're not using Exchange, you will need to leave Outlook running until the delivery time occurs. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] "Himanshu Verma" wrote ... > Please tell how can I send an email in absence of me, at a desirable > time. In Outlook, hit F1 and...

Expand max. status bar pane text length?
Hello. As I found, maximal status bar pane text length is 127 characters. Is it possible to expand it? Thanks. Are you sure there is a limit? This is what the structure is defined as.... notice that the "text in pane" is a CString. struct AFX_STATUSPANE { UINT nID; // IDC of indicator: 0 => normal text area int cxText; // width of string area in pixels // on both sides there is a 3 pixel gap and // a one pixel border, making a pane 6 pixels wider UINT nStyle; // style flags (SBPS_*) UINT nFlags; // state fl...

Databindings and XML
Dear Group I wonder if I do something wrong and whether this is possible at all. Any hint is greatly appreciated. I have a XML file bound to a Treeview. The treenodes Text/Value properties bind and populate fine if I set them to an attribute of the XML tag. What I would like to do however is setting my nodes text and value property to text that is between the XML tags. Example: <products> <article value="1" text="Washing Powder"> <description text="Super Whitewash"> Super Whitewash is ideal and a 'must hav...

Newbie: Date Time Picker
Hi All, This Date Time Picker is really giving me grief and MSDN is no help (as usual). I have a Date Time Picker on my Dialog. CDateTimeCtrl m_dtpCtrl; I would like to be able to set the date for this to something other than todays date when the Dialog opens. I am aware there is a Class Member called SetTime() but i dont know how to use it . I have tried, m_dtpCtrl.SetTime(2001,12,5); error C2661: 'SetTime' : no overloaded function takes 3 parameters any help (in newbie language) would be appreciated, Jay The documentation on MSDN seems pretty clear to me: http://msd...

how to change line spacing for text box in excel chart
I tried to reduce the line spacing in the text box used in a chart made in the Excel. In PowerPoint, under "Format" I can find "line spacing" and use it. But I have not been able to fing the similar function in the Excel. Is there any way to change the line spacing in the chart made in Excel? Hi, I don't believe the textboxes within excel offer this type of formatting control. Cheers Andy Anne wrote: > I tried to reduce the line spacing in the text box used in a chart made in > the Excel. In PowerPoint, under "Format" I can find "line spaci...

Outlook Stops Responding After Changing Outlook's Time Zone
Hi! I was wondering whether anyone has experienced this and knows how to fix it: I have installed Outlook, and noticed that the time zone is wrong. My Windows time zone is set on -5 Eastern, and Outlook defaulted to -8. I went into the Calendar section of the Outlook options, and changed the time zone to -5 Eastern. Outlook then stopped responding. I was able to get it to respond again by chaning my Windows time zone to -8. Is there any way to get both Windows and Outlook to be on - 5 time and have Outlook function properly? Thanks. M ...

Converting number to text with formatting in VBA
ok, her is what I have E F 14:00 15:00 I want the out put to look the same only converted to text in the l column. I can do it with formulas in each cell, but when I try to get VBA to drop the formulas in the cells, it errors. I am using: Range("l1:l4000").FormulaR1C1 = _ "=text(RC[-4],"[h]:mm")" Range("m1:m4000").FormulaR1C1=_ "=text(RC[-4],"[h]:mm")" basically it is seeing the " and taking that as the end. Any ideas? You need to double up the internal double quotes eg Range("...

Convert Text for a PDF File
When using "Pack and Go" or "Publish as PDF" in Publisher 2007 is there a way to convert text to an image or a shape? In other higher powered software packages there is an option to outline text to change text to shapes. I am not sure how to do anything other than embed the fonts with Publisher. The problem I am running into is when I send a PDF to our printing company, who uses MACs, the font is lost because it is not native to that platform. I can not send them the TrueType files, because the file types are incompatible. They asked me to covert the text to an...