Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of text
(e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc). Sometimes it
takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I click submit, I get
a response saying the session has timed out, and the text that took me a
long time to compose is gone.

Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't work.
Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?

0
james

The portion of the web page containing your text may or may not be in
TIF, but here's what I do: Before I hit the 'Submit' button I copy and
paste the text I wrote to Wordpad or Notepad. Learned that lesson the
hard way.  ;-)

It's not the browser's fault that your session timed out, or -- I hate
this -- when you click the Submit button and get a 'server error' message.

Firefox has at least one add-on that saves submitted text; I believe
it's called Lazarus (aptly named). It would be nice if someone would
write a similar add-on for IE.

On a similar topic: Before I get on an internet chat with technical
support, I enter all my questions and possible rejoinders to Wordpad.
That way I know I'll get my point across, and I'm less likely to get
flustered by having to type while they're saying "Is there anything else
I can help you with today?"
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

james wrote:
> Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of
> text (e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc).
> Sometimes it takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I
> click submit, I get a response saying the session has timed out, and the
> text that took me a long time to compose is gone.
>
> Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't
> work. Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?
0
Leonard
3/8/2010 4:03:16 PM
Compose yout text with NotePad (START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>NOTEPAD), then
Select All and Copy, then go to the submission page and Paste.

In answer to your question, no, the stuff you type is gone forever.

"james" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Often I have to log in to some web site to enter a few paragraphs of text
> (e.g. web email submission, user forum, product reviews, etc). Sometimes
> it takes me a while to compose the text, and by the time I click submit, I
> get a response saying the session has timed out, and the text that took me
> a long time to compose is gone.
>
> Is there a way to retrieve this text? Clicking the back button doesn't
> work. Perhaps it is in a cache somewhere?

0
Jeff
> The portion of the web page containing your text may or may not be in TIF,
> but here's what I do: Before I hit the 'Submit' button I copy and paste
> the text I wrote to Wordpad or Notepad. Learned that lesson the hard way.
> ;-)
>
> It's not the browser's fault that your session timed out, or -- I hate
> this -- when you click the Submit button and get a 'server error' message.
>
> Firefox has at least one add-on that saves submitted text; I believe it's
> called Lazarus (aptly named). It would be nice if someone would write a
> similar add-on for IE.
>
> On a similar topic: Before I get on an internet chat with technical
> support, I enter all my questions and possible rejoinders to Wordpad. That
> way I know I'll get my point across, and I'm less likely to get flustered
> by having to type while they're saying "Is there anything else I can help
> you with today?"
> ---

I _hate_ that! They click Send, and that steals the focus from the Input Box
where I'm typing, and I don't notice until I click Send and a partial
thought gets posted.

0
Jeff

Initial Capitals
Word 2002 - I am entering lists of words that have no initial capital, but Word insists on capitalising the initial letter - how do I stop this, please? Check your autocorrect settings. There should be an option activated which capitalize the first letter. Deselect it. Yves "haywain" <haywain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB9E9550-5A9C-4813-96EC-7095654D22A0@microsoft.com... > Word 2002 - I am entering lists of words that have no initial capital, but > Word insists on capitalising the initial letter - how do I stop this, > please? ...

Format Time
For payroll we collect the Regular base pay from each department from a report that gives us HH:MM:SS. That number can reach into the ten thousands of hours. We transfer the hours from a report to Excel. Unfortunately,Excel can only accept 4 digits in the hours section(ex - 9999:00:00) So, Excel can go up to 9,999 hours. Is there a way of increasing this number to handle up to 100,000 hours? I don't know how you are entering the data, but interestingly I found that you can directly enter more than 9999 hours in Excel, but you can add and get more than 9999. For instance, input 9999...

Text cells in excel
I'm entering text data into excel and I'm wondering how to make excel stop providing me with a list of previous entries to choose from. It should stop if you go into Tools/Options and uncheck "Enable Autocomplete..." on the Edit tab HTH PC "Julie KD" <Julie KD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AFA4F69-7974-405B-AD88-86482879E20F@microsoft.com... > I'm entering text data into excel and I'm wondering how to make excel stop > providing me with a list of previous entries to choose from. ...

Select cells with text
I have an excel table with numbers and text. I would like to replace all of the cells that contain text with NULL and keep all the cells with numbers. (None of the cells have both numbers and text. Cell either has text or numbers) All of the cells are formatted as General, so I can't use the Find function for text cells. I also couldn't figure out how to do with with Go To. Does anyone know how to do this? Jeff > I have an excel table with numbers and text. I would like to replace > all of the cells that contain text with NULL and keep all the cells > with numbers. (N...

Formula help: Matching text and doing a calculation
Hi all, I was hoping that someone here could help me out with a formula. I trying to make a spreadshee for my checkbook and i want to include rows (Fun, Food, Gasoline, Insurance) and in these rows I want to pu a formula that looks at my description of a entry (C#) for the key wor (say Food) then carrys out a formula that takes the cell above it (sa food col. was H) adds it too E Col. of that row and spits out a total I tried something like this. =IF(C1="Food") then (H2=(H1+E2)) else (H2= 0) Sorry if this isn't too clear, rather new to excel :) Thanks Jedediah Klusman JK_K...

Convert 2002 Word Autotext into 2007 Word Auto Text
I have several users that have multiple autotext entries in Word 2002. We have just upgraded to Office 2007. They would like to convert their 2002 Autotext entries into 2007 Word AutoText which is now Building Blocks. Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a way to take their normal.dot file and convert into 2007 normal.dotx file? Don't try to "convert" an old normal.dot to normal.dotx. It could have unpleasant side effects. Copy/rename the old normal.dot template to something like MyAutoText.dot. If it contains any macros, delete them. Store this template...

How do I paste the same text multiple times in Publisher?
I'm new to Publisher. Usually I work in Adobe PageMaker and there is a basic function called multiple paste. I use it to paste the same text or element multiple times. pisgah annie <pisgah annie@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I'm new to Publisher. Usually I work in Adobe PageMaker and there is > a basic function called multiple paste. I use it to paste the same > text or element multiple times. There is an elegant solution to this. It is called pressing Ctrl-V multiple times. If you're particularly adventurous or so incli...

Stop Buttons/Text Boxes Moving When I Print
Hello I have a problem in excel 2002, I have some sheets with text boxs o them and some with drop down lists Sometimes (not always) when I prin out the sheet that these boxes are on the boxes move from the righ hand side of the screen towards the left hand side. Does anyone kno why this happens and how to stop it. I know of one other person who has this problem, does anyone else hav this problem too? Many thanks Ia -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com maybe... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838910 Controls move to the left of the worksheet in Micros...

Publisher 2003 files lose Graphics when saved to 2000
I used Publisher 2002 to produce files for Publisher 2000 users which has worked fine. However, when I save files as 2000 made with Publisher 2003, then open with 2000, I get graphic place holders with no graphics. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! Publisher 2000 did not use compression for images. PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly When You Insert Picture http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253973 How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198256 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.micros...

Text box in the Bar chart
I have inserted text box in the Bar chart. not able to format the text inside the text box... any guidance please.......its bit urgent You can control the box by right clicking and choosing "Properties." I don't think you can change the text settings - or if there is a way, I haven't found it. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I have inserted text box in the Bar chart. not able to format the text > inside the text box... > any guidance please.......its bit urgent mukund.y -- Select the text inside the text b...

Creating & comparing separate variables with contents of separate text files...
Hi everyone, I got my script to work with help I received from this group, thank you! :) Now I would like to streamline it a bit and would greatly appreciate some pointers. 1. My script looks for specific (text-) files in a folder, stores a backup copy in the folder above and then compares these "pairs" after a second script potentially altered the original file. I have tried to figure this out, but: if I did not want to store an actual file, but rather put the contents into a variable, how is this possible using the "foreach" construction? I played around wit...

How to calculate date and time
please help me in something i have two cells: 31/10/2004 18:00 01/09/2004 07:00 i want to subtract the two cells the result i am taking is 29/02/1900 11:00 but the correct result is 29 and one month what can i do thanks http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "kasey" <kasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A258485-6D28-4AD0-9A52-C282609BAA83@microsoft.com... > please help me in something > i have two cells: > 31/10/2004 18:00 > 01/09/2004 07:00 > i want to subtract the two cells &...

Text size too small
How can I increase text size _here_? I have *View* > *Text Size* set to *Largest" but I need it (to compose) at least two or three times this size. I wish to send in normal size, of course. I have the same problem when I read... (Before a recent reinstall I could use Ctrl and the mouse wheel to enlarge, but this doesn't work now :-((( ) "RT" <zulu.romeotangohotel@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:uYy09XpJLHA.4120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How can I increase text size _here_? > I have *View* > *Text Size* set to *Largest" but...

Excel loses linked workbook
I have an error (or don’t understand the workings of the new version of excel). I have a workbook G:\2009\Monthly Reporting Working Files\P05\Trial Balance\YTD Financials.xlsx. This workbook is linked to the period 04 version workbook (G:\2009\Monthly Reporting Working Files\P04\Trial Balance\YTD Financials.xlsx). Note it is has the same file name but is held in a different location. It links to cell D47 of period 4 and then adds current month. The formula works ok but when I save the document the links get broken and the cells become a circular reference. I can’t understand why. I ha...

Lose focus on CEdit when mouse click with csplitter active
Could someone explain to me, why when I have a split view with a treeview in one pane and a form in the other pane with cedit controls on it, that when I click on the cedit control I lose focus and then regain focus. This will occur even if the cedit has focus and I click on the cedit again, it will lose focus and the regain focus? View deactiveates and then reactivates, can I stop this? Thanks, EK ...

New Mailbox not showing up for some time
I just created a new account in Exchange 5.5 (5 total exchange 5.5 servers). After creating a new mailbox, I go to mhy outlook to try and resolve the name but it s not there. I then try to go into OWA and log into the new account but no luck. After some time it will show up. Why the delay, can anything be done? What's the scheduled time for Directory Replication? Maybe you can do an "Update Now"? -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided &...

OWA
We currently use forms based authentication on our Exchange Server, but for people who are logged in on the internal network (but not at a computer with Outlook) we would like them to be able to acccess OWA and not have to log in again. (i.e. https:\\mail\exchange\username). Is there a way to do this and prevent the login prompt? Thanks Create another HTTP virtual server using different port w/same IP or default port but different IP? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Jan" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ud3Bd%239rFHA.2072...

Text-to-speech in Excel X
I've been reading about Excel X having the ability to "read" text in=20 selected cells. Mac has the capability in Text Edit and the PC world = has=20 a "voice" option under the view+toolbars, but Mac doesn't. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

adding cells with text and numbers
I have a yearly vacation planner that tracks vacations (V), sick days (S), emergency days (E). The planner has 31 columns labelled 1 to 31 for 31 days in the month and 12 rows for 12 months of the year (Jan to Dec). If a person takes a sick day I enter the following in the appropriated month/day cell.: 'S.5' where S signifies it is a sick day and .5 signifies the half the day was taken as sick day. I would like to add all the sick days taken, or vacation days or total the emergency days taken for the year. Is there any way where I could truncate the first letter for each occuren...

How can I add a two letter prefix to text in cells?
Hi. I need to add a two letter prefix to a large number of data cells that currently have text in them w/o overwritting the current data. For example a column of this text: 106 108 110 202 206 I would need to add the letters "SE" before the numbers. Any quick way to do that? Format-->Cells, Custom. Type the following into the short box: "SE"000 Remember, now, that's not the VALUE of the cell. It's just a VIEW of it. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Newbs18" <Newbs18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA1B7783-EC...

avoid duplicates!
Hi Guys, I have below query, in which i am trying to get the machine anme, user name, IP Subnet fro three different tables. The third table V_RA_SYSTEM_IPSUBNETS is having multiple IP subnet info against a single machine. Hence when i ran this query i get lot of duplicates (if there are 5 subnets against a single machine, this machine is listed 5 times)... Is it possible to get only the last assgined IP subnet from the third table (This table has only a resourceid and the IPsubnet column, there is no date column)... SELECT DISTINCT SYS.NAME0 AS 'MACHINENAME', IP.IP_...

Delete text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Can't delete marked text by pressing BACKSPACE Well, since the Mac keyboards I'm familiar with don't have a BACKSPACE key I'm not sure what you're pressing :-) but it's most likely a matter of going to: Word>Preferences> Edit, check the box for "Typing replaces selection". HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 2/9/10 11:15 AM, in article 59bb2874.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "IO@officeformac.com" <IO@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version...

validation list drop down box, how do I bring in text commands
I have a reference set in excel that is two columns. The first column lists functions in text (i.e. AVERAGE, COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MIN....). The second column lists the corresponding function number (i.e. AVG = 1, COUNT =2....). I made a drop down box using data, validation, list so that the function numbers appear in a row. The row below I put in subtotal(grab command from drop down, data set to calc). I can't figure out how to return the TEXT from my columns above, rather than function number. I want my drop down to have AVERAGE, not 1. Hi Scott, Debra Dalgleish has pages ...

Is it possible to display text in charts?
I am creating graphs for results from a survey. Part of this is to graph each individual's response to every question. If a person did not answer a question, I would like "N/A" to appear in the data for the chart. I am not using formulas -- the numbers are typed directly into the spreadsheet. Is there any way to have the text "N/A" display in the chart data? Currently, if I enter text in the corresponding cell, it displays as "0" in the chart data. Thanks! Janine, You can try applying a custom format to those entries that are coming across as zero....

Entering wrapping text
I have two issues when entering text in an Excel cell. I format the text to wrap, and the row height increases to accept additional text as I type. Sometimes this stops happening, and I have to resize the row manually. How do I control this? Also, although the row size increases as I add text, it doesn't seem to decrease if I delete text. Is there any way to make this happen? When I format the text as "general" it displays correctly in the cell (although in the sample pane it displays as ##################). When I format the text as text it displays as ################### in bo...