Outlook express 6.0

Got message "do you want to compact files".  I hit yes, it started, then
froze.  File folder's are still intact, but most emails are no longer saved.
Any idea how to retrieve?
inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpres 260 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The two most common reasons for what you describe is disruption of the
compacting process, (never touch anything until it's finished), or bloated
folders. More on that below.

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

Why Mail Disappears:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Recovery tools:

If you are running XP/SP2, or SP3, and are fully patched, then you should
have a backup of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, (or possibly the
message store), copied as bak files.

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first find the
location of the Message Store.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, the .dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

Close OE and then in Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the
missing, or empty, folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted
later once you have successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the
Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact*
same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If
the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new
folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue
on to the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx.
Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in
the folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

If you do not have bak copies of your dbx files in the Recycle Bin, then:

DBXpress run in Extract From Disk Mode is the best chance to recover
messages:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

And see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

A general warning to help avoid this in the future:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 300MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for lose of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP [Mail]
      Imperial Beach, CA

"KevinF.N" <KevinF.N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got message "do you want to compact files".  I hit yes, it started, then
> froze.  File folder's are still intact, but most emails are no longer
> saved.
> Any idea how to retrieve?

0
Bruce
1/5/2010 10:08:58 PM
Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and #4)
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (see Notes section under
Resolution section; Please note that you do NOT need to install KB923694 or
KB918766 if your computer is fully-patched at Windows Update!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality than
DBXtract)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

KevinF.N wrote:
> Got message "do you want to compact files".  I hit yes, it started, then
> froze.  File folder's are still intact, but most emails are no longer
> saved.
> Any idea how to retrieve?

0
PA
1/6/2010 12:33:10 AM
"KevinF.N" <KevinF.N@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Got message "do you want to compact files".  I hit yes, it started, then
> froze.  File folder's are still intact, but most emails are no longer
> saved.
> Any idea how to retrieve?

0
Horst

Payables Checks Getting Generated With 0 Value
Hello: When we go to build a batch in the "Select Payables Checks" screen (GP8.00g73), the checks get created, but there are also a number of checks getting created with a value of $0. We do not have any invoices in the system for $0, so we are just wondering what we can do to stop this from happening. Every time we have to go through and manually delete 20-30 $0 value checks in order for the batch to post. Is there any way to find out why these checks are getting generated? This happens because there were previously invoices that were paid by manual payment, so ...

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Requery ONLY works in timer 0.5 sec later !!!
Requery ONLY works in timer 0.5 sec later !!! Hello everyone and thank you for your time, I have a simple form with a subform with a CANCEL button on it. The problem is that if I don't use the DoCmd.Requery command, the form advances to the next record even though the previous one was still empty. If I put the DoCmd.Requery on the bottom or the top of the Cancel code it dose not work, the ONLY way I have my form working properly at the moment is like so.... Private Sub Cancel_Click() Me.TimerInterval = 500 DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord ...

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

SQL Server Error when going offline MS CRM 4.0
Hi We have quite a few problems with the MS CRM 4.0 Offline Client. When our customer tries to go offline he gets always an SQL Server Error. When we execute the diag tool it shows us that something is wrong with the sync. After executing the repair it works fine and we can go offline without any troubles. The strange thing is, that it does not work on the next day. Then we get the same error again. The only solution is to execute the repair.... We are working for quite a long time together with ms support, but unfortunately they couldn't help us so far. We also have installed several ...

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Connect to SQL Express 2008 on local machine
Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008 database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also tried using Access ...

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...