General OE User Caveats - one mo' time...

General OE User Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

Goodbye & good luck!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PA
6/30/2010 10:37:57 PM
inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpres 260 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Good luck, PA Bear!!
Angel

: General OE User Caveats:
:
: - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
: folders created for this purpose.
:
: - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
:
: - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
: offline".  More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
:
: - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt
: close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
: is taking place.
:
: - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It can cause
: corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
:
:     Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
:     http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
:
: <QP>
: Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
: are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
: incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
: email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
: make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
: Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
: the most recent virus definitions.
: </QP>
: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
:
: Goodbye & good luck!
: --
: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
:

0
Angel

Why Users can open other users folders
Hi We have Exchange Server 2003 and we access Outlook using exhcnage server. I have found that all users can access others folder by going File, Open, Other User's Folder. Can you please guide me how can I prevent this. Do I have to make permission changes on Exchange Server? If yes where? Your prompt response is greatly appreciated. mukeshhtrivedi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi We have Exchange Server 2003 and we access Outlook using exhcnage > server. I have found that all users can access others folder by going > File, Open, Other User's Folder. Can you please guide me how can I ...

TIME math
Can anyone shed a little light on adding and subtracting time in a formula? Gale Gorman Houston See http://cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm#AddingTimes In article <kFWRc.16011$rb2.3695@fe2.texas.rr.com>, "Gale Gorman" <ggorman@houston.rr.com> wrote: > Can anyone shed a little light on adding and subtracting time in a formula? > > Gale Gorman > Houston Je Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:45:36 GMT, "Gale Gorman" <ggorman@houston.rr.com> skribis: >Can anyone shed a little light on adding and subtracting time in a formula? > >Gale Gorma...

Navigating to User and Group Accounts security from a button
I would like to navigate to the User and Group Accounts security dialog from a button on a form. Anyone know how to do this? Running MSA 2007 on Windows XP Pro Thanks! On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:25:01 -0800, Earthman <Earthman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: RunCommand acCmdUserAndGroupPermissions -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I would like to navigate to the User and Group Accounts security dialog from >a button on a form. Anyone know how to do this? > >Running MSA 2007 on Windows XP Pro >Thanks! ...

Message Store does not reflect time of last full backup.
We are running Exch2003 on Server2003, using ntbackup nightly to back up both the system and the exchange stores. The application logs show successful completion of the individual backups(no errors). A disaster test allows us to restore both the system and the stores in a working state. But the properties on the individual message stores still say that a backup has never been run. This is not a fresh install of either server or exchange. The system has been upgraded incrementally from the original NT4.0 and exch 5.0 to it's present state. It's also not the original hardware. An...

Outlook 2003 export to OE 4.72
Hi, can anyone tell me a way to export OE 4.72 messages to Outlook 2003? We are migrating our terminal servers from NT 4 to 2003 and need to export all users to Outlook 2003. I have tried to export them from OE to Outlook but keep getting a MAPI error. Thanks, Eric In article <001701c3c4b0$c2076aa0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... |Hi, can anyone tell me a way to export OE 4.72 messages to |Outlook 2003? We are migrating our terminal servers from |NT 4 to 2003 and need to export all users to Outlook 2003. |I have tried to export them from OE to Out...

Tracking users connected to exchange
Is there a way to see who is all connected to the exchange server. A client wants to be able to know if his employees are closing outlook and that is why it is taking them a long time to respond to his emails. So I was wanting to know if there is a tool or feature that i can pull to see if they are currently connected or not. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:40:35 -0800, James <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to see who is all connected to the exchange server. A client >wants to be able to know if his employees are closing outlook and that is why >it is ...

Excel 2003 =now() is returning wrong time on terminal server
We have Excel 2003 installed on our Terminal Server/Citrix box. The servers are in the EST timezone and work fine for EST clients. When CST clients (or any other timezone than EST) uses a worksheet with =NOW, it computes time from EST. We've had to use the formula =now()-0.042 to compensate. This problem is specific to Excel as Word, IE and even typing in 'Time' from the command prompt returns the correct time computed with the Central time zone. How do I correct this? thanks Pete "Peter J. Dickason, MCSE" <NOSPAMPeterdotDickasonatAirgasdotcom@email.c...

general question!
Hello there. Outlook XP in a networked environment. When viewing an email (that has an attachment)in the preview pane, I can see the attachment icon on that little header area between the list of emails and the previewed email. However, when I click away to an email that is a reply to a meeting request (that I sent out)and then click back on the attachment-email, in the information viewer the little attachment icon is no longer on the header. Obviously I can still tell if the email in question has an attachment from the information viewer. This is more annoying more than anything els...

OE with Windows 7?
I am about to buy a computer with Windows 7. I currently use Win XP and prefer to use Outlook Express. I find it available as a download on MS website. Will it install and run on Win 7? If not, they recommend Live Mail. Is it similar to OE. The OE feature I like best is the multiple identities. My friend has Vista with Mail. He has to log into his computer with a different identity anytime he wishes to send mail from a different identity. In OE you can simply click on file Switch Identities to do that. OE can not run on Win7. If you get the Pro or Ultimate edition,...

NDR Time Interval
Hello all. I have an Exchange environment that has been partially shut down; that is the FEN is still online but the SMTP Connector is unable to receive any mail and the MX record has been deleted. The Exchange environment will eventually be shout down altogether. My question is this: How can I control the time interval in which the FEN sends out an NDR to a sender stating that the email address cannot be found? I want to set it as low as one minute. Right now NDR’s are taking 2 days; way to long to inform customers that the emails address(s) are no longer valid. Vincent Most...

multi user problem on small vista lan
I have three new pcs running vista business and I installed office 2007 on each. I put Access FE on each pc and BE in a public folder on one of the PCs with full control permissions for everyone on the public folder. Why can only one person on each pc get into access at any one time? Possible reasons: 1. No permission to create the LDB file 2. One user opening in Exclusive mode 3. The file may need to be in a Trusted Location 4. You may need to sacrifice a chicken. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "davidve&qu...

defrag users mailbox in ex2k3 enterprise
Can anyone tell me of a better way to do clean up mailbox space on an exchange 2003 enterprise then doing an offline defragmentation. I ran it but it did not reduce the size down as it should have. Is there a way to copy your users to a different store or something to that affect. Thanks On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:16:55 -0500, "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me of a better way to do clean up mailbox space on an >exchange 2003 enterprise then doing an offline defragmentation. I ran it >but it did not reduce the size down as it should hav...

General
I created a workbook with several worksheets that are protected and when it is opened it is to go to sheet1 and select cell A10. My problem is that when I open it not only is sheet1/A10 selected but a cell in sheet2 which causes half of each sheet to be visible. Now if I unprotect sheet2 the problem goes away but cells in the two sheets are linked and both need to be protected. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Carl, care to post the code you are using? maybe somebody can see why it is doing that -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Usin...

Appointments shift with moving user
I travel quite extensively, moving from one corner of the world to another quite frequently. I have just discovered that appointments that I had set up on my calendar, keep shifting based on my current location, on my OL2007 (Vista) platform. For instance, I am trying to maintain a list of meetings for a trade show I will be attending in London on 17NOV. The appointments were recorded on various dates when I was in various places (Denver, Rio, Auckland etc). Now that I am in Tokyo, I find that the appointments for 17NOV are all in the middle of the night! Is there any way to lock the ...

550 5.1.1 user unknown
We have a client that gets the error below intermittently. I have worked with this client's IT staff over the phone to help resolve the issue. The thing is is that they can send e-mails to us half the time and the other times they get the message below. This happens to all users within our organization with this client. They client's IT staff seems pretty comfortable that it is not their end but this is the only client we have problems with. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? If so, any advice would be appreciated. thanks! Sent <<&...

Popup form does not appear for some users
Access 2003: I have a popup form (Popup=Yes, Modal=No) that appears when I open it on my PC, but does not appear when another user opens it on her PC. I have connected remotely to her PC, can open the form in Design mode, but when I switch to Form View, I can no longer see it. I have checked IE popup blocker, but ironically my popup blocker is on, and her popup blocker is off. Any thoughts? ...

email receive date and time changes
I don't know if this is an exchange or outlook problem. but my email receive date and time, and whether marked as unread constantly updates. I read the emails then some time later look at inbox and all the emails have new current date and time and are marked unread. how odd I'd appreaciate any help Jon Please provide the following information: 1) Version of Outlook 2) Email environment: Exchange, POP3, etc. 3) Does the user have a PST? If so, what is the size? 4) Are there any error messages/numbers? 5) Have you checked the application event viewer for any Outlook or Off...

User form
Is there any way to modify the User Form? I want to add a field to the form that is already in the schema...thx The System User form is not editable. There is a way to make it customizable, that is to change the customizable column in the entity table of the _metabase database. This will allow you to publish customizations for this entity. But I would strongly advise not to use this, since it can break your entire CRM system. Also you will loose support from Microsoft. Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "mark@markhembree.com" wrote: > Is there any way to modify the User F...

vbAdvance general dll problem
I want to create a plugin for an external application in VB6. To do this I create a regular dll, export the necessary functions and compile the dll. So far so good. The problem comes when I developed a second plugin (also in vb6 with vbAdvance) and try to load both in the external application. The first plugin is loaded fine, but the second fails with error 998 (ERROR_NOACCESS). I traced the problem to the code that starts the required vb stuff, in MRuntimeInit: ... pGetClass = GetProcAddress(hMod, "DllGetClassObject") If pGetClass Then CopyMemory pCall, InitDelegato...

After migrating user from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003 emails have disappeared
After migrating a user from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003, many of her emails have disappeared. I remember reading somewhere that this is not an uncommon side effect of this migration. Can anyone tell me how to reverse this? Is there a setting somewhere? KingCronos <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote: > After migrating a user from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003, many of her > emails have disappeared. I remember reading somewhere that this is not > an uncommon side effect of this migration. Can anyone tell me how to > reverse this? Is there a setting somewhere? Migrating properly wi...

Importing from OE to Windows Mail
I have tried importing contacts and messages from OE (XP) to WM in my new PC which runs Windows 7. I have highlighted the folders I require and the pop up shows that they are being transferred (some 686 messages). When I look in the imported folder in WM - the folder is still empty. Can someone please advise me what I am doing wrong? -- Silver surfer Make sure that the folder is expanded to show any subfolders. Double click on the folder to expand or contract. Also, Alt + V, Show or hide, select Show all messages. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "howard18" <howard1...

User Guide Question
I have Money 2004 and I was wondering if there was a way to print out the entire user guide without having to save every screen? I'm getting more frustrated with Money as time goes on, I thought M05 would help me with things but it doesn't appear to be that way. I might think about switching to Quicken. I like the fact that they have books about how to do certain things and such. There isn't any way to print the on-net User's Guide in total that's been identified here. I find it hard to imagine that M05 will fix any issues you are having with M04--indeed it see...

alt.windows7.general
Windows 7 is Vista regurgitated. But it now has it's own news group. alt.windows7.general (uncensored) Canuck57 wrote this, with guidance from inner voices: > Windows 7 is Vista regurgitated. > > But it now has it's own news group. > > alt.windows7.general (uncensored) Just couldn't leave them in peace, could ya? -- Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur, Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur. Canuck57 wrote: > Windows 7 is Vista regurgitated. > > But it now has it's own news group. > > alt.windows7.general ...

Customizing Microsoft Categories
Is there a registry key setting that will disable the ability for users to remove category tags once applied to a message? I've located the GPO settings which provide a basic facility to customize the category properties in Outlook, but I haven't been able to identify more granular settings to allow for finer control of the category capability. Thanks in advance for your help - What version of Outlook? AFAIK, that is not possible in any version. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http...

alt.windows7.general newsgroup
Reference Email Subject: Mysterious Message in Drafts Folder, by Grenou, dated Saturday, November 28, 2009, 5:43 AM., comment: "I subscribe to alt.windows7.general." Grenou, I would very much appreciate the name of the server for the alt.windows7.general newsgroup. I already subscribe to news.microsoft.com and msnews.microsoft.com but could not find the alt.windows7.general newsgroup on either of these servers. Thanks for any help, Sam. Try aioe news server. "Sam" <scams@Remove This att.net> wrote in message news:ej3t87ScKHA.808@TK2MSFTN...