Window 2003 x64

All,

We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find out
is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation or
issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.

Jamal

0
jma (41)

I use x64 server 2003 with x64 Sql05. One of the big advantages is additional
ram that x64 can address natively. You will need to get the x64 edition of
SQL to run it, though.
--
Gigabyte Tech

"Jamal" wrote:

> All,
>
> We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
> window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
> understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find out
> is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation or
> issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
>
> Jamal

The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able to
install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> All,
>
> We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
> window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
> understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find
> out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation
> or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
>
> Jamal

0
victoria (3339)
11/8/2006 10:45:27 AM
The monthly insights e-mail states that Great Plains 9.0 is now supported on
a 64 bit OS....refer to kb918983 in customer source for more info.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able to
> install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
>

> "Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > All,
> >
> > We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our
> > window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
> > understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find
> > out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation
> > or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
> >
> > Jamal

0
klewis6238 (163)
11/8/2006 1:38:01 PM
I must have missed that - thanks for pointing it out!!

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"klewis" <klewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The monthly insights e-mail states that Great Plains 9.0 is now supported
> on
> a 64 bit OS....refer to kb918983 in customer source for more info.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able
>> install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>>

>> "Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>> > All,
>> >
>> > We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received
>> > our
>> > window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I
>> > understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to
>> > find
>> > out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any
>> > limitation
>> > or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and  other.
>> >
>> > Jamal

0
victoria (3339)
11/8/2006 9:11:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Based on the responses, I asked our great plain vendor about GP and 64 bit
and apparently its was recently released. I'm going to play it safe and wait
for GP 64 bit to be out there for a little while.

Thanks Again!

Jamal

"Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
>I must have missed that - thanks for pointing it out!!
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
>

> "klewis" <klewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The monthly insights e-mail states that Great Plains 9.0 is now supported
>> on
>> a 64 bit OS....refer to kb918983 in customer source for more info.
>>
>> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> The GP application is not compiled for a 64bit OS, so you won't be able
>>> install it on the server.  Some people are ok with that, some are not.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Victoria Yudin
>>> Dynamics GP MVP
>>>

>>> "Jamal" <jma@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message

0
jma (41)

Outlook 2003 Outbox #5
I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I compose and send emails without a copy going into Outbox? "gatordawg" <james.butts@oracle.com> wrote in message news:1171819936.194411.7800@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... >I compose and immediately send Outlook 2003 email messages. Every > newly sent message also redundantly goes into the Outbox, forcing me > to periodically go there and delete those messages. How can I c...

reinstalling windows

outlook 2003 automatic send receive does not receive all emails
I have 80 users using outlook 2003 with windows XP. When the user press the send/receive button stacks on "send/receive status ##%". Even at sending... Sometimes the outlook completes the send/receive and the user doesn't receive all the emails. If I go on OWA there are new emails that the user didn\t download even though the send/receive is complete. to resolve for the moment the problem, the users have to close the outlook, open it again and then either automatic send/receive or manually they receive the new emails. I checked all windows and office upd...

how to archive all incoming/outgoing emails on exchange 2003
We recently upgraded from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. On exchange 5.5, we used to archive all incoming and outgoing mails (using the diagnostic log I think). How can I do the same thing under exchange 2003? For those who is curious, it's a standard corporate policy to archive incoming/outgoing mails. Thanks. look at journaling: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261173/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843105/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] <nobigworld@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138052738.764679.83220@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > We recently upgraded from e...

Windows live mail

Problems with creating a budget in 2003
I have set up my annual Bills and Deposits on the MANAGE SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen. Now, when I go to create a budget Money automaticlly recoginizes the bills and deposits that I have set and puts them into my budget along with a dollar amount which is great. However, once I am done creating the rest of my budget and Money shows me the overview of what I spent compared to what I budgeted, it shows that I had NO money budgeted for the bills that were automaticlly transferred in from the SCHEDULED BILLS AND DEPOSITS screen even though when I was designing the budget it had ...

Windows Vista

Outlook 2003 and VPN
We are connecting to an Exchange 2003 server on a Win 2K server with Outlook 2003 clients. I want to set up outlook to automatically connect to a VPN when they open Outlook. Right now are remote users have to connect to their ISP, Connect to VPN, open Outlook. I would like them to be able to just connect to there isp and than open Outlook and have Outlook extablish the VPN. Thanks ...

open windows

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Slipstream 2003 SP2?
Is there any way to slipstream Exchange 2003 SP2 onto an Exchange 2003 CD? We're on Select and have Exchange 2003 media, and 2003 SP2 media but no 2003 with SP2 media. cheers, Paul Nope, this has never been possible AFAIK and I still don't think it is with SP2. :( -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP "Paul Hutchings" <paul@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:Xns975B83A2CA8D0paulspamcopnet@207.46.248.16... > Is there any way to slipstream Exchange 2003 SP2 onto an Exchange 2003 CD? > > We're on Select and have Exchange 2003 media, and 2003 SP2 media but no ...

ADC migration from 5.5
Hi, I'm currently in the start of the process of migration from 5.5 SP4 to 2003, and have a question about the use of the ADC and the replication of accounts to the new system. At the moment we have two domains running, the older NT4 domain and the newer Windows 2003 domain, some of the domain user accounts have been manually moved over to the newer domain and are working fine, although the users emails are still linked to Exchange 5.5 with their owner accounts pointing to the new 2003 user account. My question is, when we start to use the ADC to sync directories, will the ADC cr...

Outlook 2003 Using over 2 GB of memory
Ok, I have been using Outlook 2003 for a while now and have had an odd problem for a while. If I leave outlook open for a long time, it will consume all of of my free memory. I am talking about 700-800 MB of actual memory, and 1.5 - 1.7 GB of my virtual memory by just leaving it open over night, and this repeats as many times as I leave it open. I have restarted the computer, and no luck. Now it is also happening with my laptop, and I am not sure where to go with this. Any Ideas? Do you have a desktop search program installed? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

Windows recovery console

Outlook 2003 Web Access & PST files
Can anybody please tell me if it is possible to import the contents of my local .pst file into my Outlook 2003 Web Access on my SBS2003? Many thanks Jon Morgan There is no method to import/export items through OWA. You would need to connect to the Exchange mailbox using Outlook 2003 and import your items into the mailbox. Import/Export wizard is accessed via File | Import and Export. "Jon Morgan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d06101c439a9$1a596920$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can anybody please tell me if it is possible to import > the conte...

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Windows update error