What is dexterity?

I know that great plains runs on MS SQL 2000.  What is dexterity, what does
it do?  Anyone got a short but accurate answer?
--
Bruce Elniski
IT Manager

Bruce,

It is the original Great Plains development environment.  Read C+ (that's a
+ less than C++ and also not quite object orientated (by a long way)).

Orginally built by Great Plains Software as a cross platform (Windows and
Mac) development platform, it is the what the Great Plains core modules are
devloped in.

Cheers.

R.

"Bruce Elniski" wrote:

> I know that great plains runs on MS SQL 2000.  What is dexterity, what does
> it do?  Anyone got a short but accurate answer?
> --
> Bruce Elniski
> IT Manager
> The DoorStore of Alberta
0
Rockfield (54)

What is dexterity?
I know that great plains runs on MS SQL 2000. What is dexterity, what does it do? Anyone got a short but accurate answer? -- Bruce Elniski IT Manager The DoorStore of Alberta Bruce, It is the original Great Plains development environment. Read C+ (that's a + less than C++ and also not quite object orientated (by a long way)). Orginally built by Great Plains Software as a cross platform (Windows and Mac) development platform, it is the what the Great Plains core modules are devloped in. Cheers. R. "Bruce Elniski" wrote: > I know that great plains runs on MS SQL 2...

Dexterity Runtime error: Unable to open DEX.DIC
Dynamics GP 10 Adv. SP2 is installed and work's well all the time. Now I get this error when launching Dynamics on the server. All clients are working without any problem. I cannot find a KB article. Any suggestios how to solve this issue?? Thanks -- Toni Toni, Couple of things: 1) Your DEX.DIC has been removed from the Dynamics GP installation path, or 2) Your DEX.DIC is marked as read only There may be other reasons, but we sure can start here. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP B...

Rounding in Dexterity
Hi, I am trying to use the round function in Dexterity which has the syntax round(field,side,expression{,mode}). I see that GP does the rounding such that 12.119 >> 12.12 12.111 >> 12.11 What option should I use for the "mode" in round function to get these results? Regards, Sup You'll note that "mode" is optional but for the different methods that it'll round the help file does give complete examples. For your example regular "rounding" is what you need. Just set the "expression" to 2 so it rounds at 2 decimals. Done. patri...

Enumerated type in Dexterity?
I have searched and could not find an answer to this seemingly simple question. Is there such a thing as an enumerated type in Dexterity? If not an explicit one, is there a workaround (with drop down list perhaps?) to get the same kind of functionality as one would expect in an enumerated type? I know I could just create constants to handle this, but I'm trying to avoid adding dozens of constants for this. Thanks -Greg M No, there are no enumerated types in Dexterity. A drop-down list won't help you, because its value is an integer. You will have to create constants for the...

Dexterity
Anyone can advise on the above issue?? Much appreciated. Regards Ken Ken- I'm sure there are several ways, but here's what I do. This is going to be long.... Regards, Brenner (bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com). (1) create a script that dynamically executes the script below. Pass in the table name as a variable. tDex = ""; tDex = tDex + "close table " + sTableTechName + ". "; tDex = tDex + "open table " + sTableTechName + ". "; tDex = tDex + "close table " + sTableTechName + ". "; iErrCnt = execute(i...

Dexterity
Dear Sir/Mis I would like to know if there is anyway i can overcome the following: I've defined a library(COM) in my dictionary. The methods in that .DLL file which are defined as Strings, or take in String parameters, all show as "anonymous" datatypes with "anonymous" parameters in class browser. And therefore am not able to use em. System generates a Datatype conflict error on runtime. The DateTime datatype on the other hand works fine. NB:I've searched the MSDN, and the internet over and over. Thank you If it shows up as anonymous in the Dexterity clas...

Dexterity
I need to track down what the statement report does in Great Plains 7.5. I have been in Great Plains under modify current window and in Dexterity and can not find the process that runs when the print button is clicked. Thank you in advance for the help. Rick I believe what you are looking for is that when you click the print button the script that is run is the forms Print Script for example in the Sales Order Entry or SOP_Entry the script that is run is "SOP_Entry_WIN_PRINT" Rick Rustad MCAD Bridge Builder Software, Inc. "Rick Gittins" wrote: > I need to t...

Dexterity to .NET
I seem to recall seeing an ISV solution somewhere that offered a solution to move Dexterity scripted solutions to .NET, but I can't put my finger on anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Cindy, I haven't heard of such an application- I don't see how this would be possible. You might perhaps be thinking of "DexToNet" which I believe is offered by Encore. This isn't a translation tool, it is a new tool to help integrate your .net solution into the Dexterity world. Visual Studio Tools offered by Microsoft would be the Microsoft offering in this spa...

Development and Dexterity Error
Hi Everybody, My previouse computer died and I reinstalled everything to new one. GP (actually SBF) working fine without any problems. If I go to Dexterity and opening my development dic and go to Debug -> Test Mode I am getting an error: "A get/change first operation on table 'SY_Users_MSTR' (45)" Did I miss somehing? Thanks for your support. Can anybody provide any suggestions? Thanks :) "Vitaly Golden" <vitvov@dynamo-ny.com> wrote in message news:OMOc49xVKHA.4780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi Everybody, > > My previouse computer died...

Dexterity
Hello, I'm using GP 8.0 and I was experimenting with Dexterity to see if I could make a small change take effect when I ran Great Plains. I just modified one the Microsoft Business Solutions logo and put the word Test under the MBS text. When I look at any form tha uses that image I can see the change I made, however, when I run GP I cannot see the change I made. Can anyone tell me how to make the change stick completely? Thank you in advance. Hi If you have made changes to an existing Great Plains window and go through the process of creating a chunk file (see KB below) and create an ...

Dexterity Course
I'm a mexican microsoft partner and i need a Dexterity course, someone knows where can i get it? I'm intrested in Great plains and VBA integration and Great Plains and crystal integretion too. Hi Juan, For training opportunities here is a place to get you started: https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/communities/training/ There is information there regarding all types of training formats. Also, my company, Rockton Software, does have a product called Crystal Integration that allows you to run Crystal Reports seamlessly in Great Plains. If this is the crystal integration yo...

Dexterity Training
My company is interested in the dexterity training courses. Now how effective are these classes for a new programmer. Is this something that is going to be a fog for the person or is this person going to actually be able to use the training in a real environment? Company has to make sure that there is a ROI with these courses... I am a certified trainer for Dexterity as well as a support professional and consultant for tools including Dexterity. I can tell you that the 5 day Dexterity training is absolutely worthwhile. It is a fantastic foundation to give the basic skills all Dext...

Dexterity Prog
I was working on the tab sequence and now my Radio Button isn't visible anymore. I tried changing back the changes but it doesn't still show up when I try the Layout menu then Preview. I've tried all the on/off visible features in the Properties section. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Shelby I even tried the Send to Front/Back because I have the Radio Group Button behind it. "shelby" wrote: > I was working on the tab sequence and now my Radio Button isn't visible > anymore. I tried changing back the changes but it doesn't still sho...

Microsoft.Dexterity
The sample applicaition with the GP9.0 SDK -- EstimateFreight refers to Microsoft.Dexterity. I can't find this DLL. Does anyone know where can I get it ? using Microsoft.Dexterity; using Microsoft.Dexterity.Bridge; using Microsoft.Dexterity.Applications; using Microsoft.Dexterity.Applications.DynamicsDictionary; namespace EstimateFreight { .... } ...

Conditional Compilation in Dexterity
Hello to all, We're builduing a product for Great Plains that has to be supported in versions 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, and 9.0, and there are some dexterity scripts that should be included or not depending on the version. Is there a way to include conditional compilation statements so we can have only one source code file with all the scripts but that it only compiles the correct ones depending on the version? -- Best regards, Sergio Romero Look up "script preprocessor" in the help files. I've never used it myself, but here's a quote from the help file: You can use spec...

Lookup in dexterity
Hello every one, I need little help in dexterity, actually i am develop a test application using dexterity, i have a form names employee which is attatched to a table employeedata . fields of employee are empid,empname,salary. i have two buttons save and clear on employee form, also i have a little lookup button in front of empid which is used to open lookup form, this form is named emplookup, in this lookup form i have scrolling window, which will show empid and empname , so i attacthed employeedata to lookup and then bind scrolling window to table employeedata an...

Future of Customization (Dexterity).
Hi All, I have couple of questions related to the customization of GP: 1 - What is the future of Customization in GP in terms of tools. It seems, in GP 10; Microsoft is still counting on Dexterity for the customization but any idea by when Microsoft will replace Dexterity with some other tools like (Visual Studio). 2- Is any power of Visual Studio tools enhanced by Microsoft or nothing new in GP 10 of VS Tools. 3- Is it possible to develop applications using Visual Studio Tools and they executes inside the GP process (runs like a single application) and also gives a look and feel similar ...

GP install dexterity sql server 2005
I Just installed sqlserver 2005 then great plains, without any errors. When i start great plains dexterity dialog box pops up i answer yes and then it locks up. I cant even ctr-alt-del, have to manually shut down. Any suggestions? thanks How long did you give it? The first time you log into Great Plains after a new install or upgrade, it can take a bit of time to do what it needs to do. -- www.fmtconsultants.com "Big Momma" wrote: > I Just installed sqlserver 2005 then great plains, without any errors. When > i start great plains dexterity dialog box pops up...

Help needed on Dexterity utilities
Hi all, Plz provide me complete information regarding usage of integrated appilication with GP. I was struck up at scripts part in Auto-chunk process.I am not able to write a procedure as no procedure was displaying when I clicked the look-up button. Thanx in advance. Regs, Kiran. Kiran You can leave the Starting and Ending Installation scripts empty. They can be used to execute a global procedure before or after the un-chunking process during the installation. They were handy on the non SQL platforms to perform setup functions. However, they are not used as much...

Dexterity Timer
I'm writing some Dex code that imports XML files. We're calling a .net app using a 'run application' statements with various arguments for login, password, url, etc. Problem is, Dex likes to concentrate on its Timer_Sleep function, and not allow any other Dex windows to operate. Does anybody know any ways around this? Thanks, Herb You could try running you code as a background process with call background. This will free up the foreground queue to continue operating. David Musgrave [MSFT] Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Paci...

Dexterity Coding-Calculating diff betn dates & convert to months
Hi all, I'm coding a new window for GP 7.5 in Dexterity. I'm trying to calculate the difference between 2 dates and convert into months. Has anybody the code for doing that? In Dex, subtracting 2 dates gives difference in days. How do I convert this number into months? Have tried many times but formula fails at certain conditions. Please help. Thank you. Regards, Saras Sara: Assuming you want to do it like this: Date 1: 1/15/06 Date 2: 3/14/06 Difference in months is 1 + 29 days. If Date 2 was 3/15/06, the difference would be 2. so: if (day('Date1') < day(...

Information on Dexterity / SanScript
Hi all, Does anybody know of a list of Global Variables and system functions for Dexterity / sanScript? I want to know the current Field / File / Window / Product - by Resource_ID or Name (by current - I mean the field the User is actually typing into). I would expect these to be stored in Global Variables in DEX.DIC but have been unable to work it out from the documentation. Thanks in advance for any info. Ian Ian There are no global variables to provide current field/window/form, etc. information to you. If you want to know how to obtain resource information from a dictionary loo...

Help needed on Dexterity utilities #3
Hi, After creating chunk code, it appeared like dll extension file. Then I placed that chunk code in the folder where dictionary.dic is present. But u told me that I get message as "Do u want to include new code?". I didn't get such message. When I opened Gp after placing chunk code in Great Plains folder, directly it is showing company screen without asking for the request message. Can u please help out me in this issue. Regs, Kiran. Kiran Please make sure you follow the instructions in the KB Article below https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?s...

Dexterity Testing
We're developing several large projects in Version 8.0 Dexterity and I'm wondering what testing/QA tools people are using? Thanks. Warner, None! You get it kind of working and distribute. Then when the users complain, about various problems, you fix them and issue a service pack. ;-) Lyle On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:33:08 -0800, Warner <Warner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We're developing several large projects in Version 8.0 Dexterity and I'm >wondering what testing/QA tools people are using? Thanks. Lyle... That's what beta testing sites are for. Y...

which tool use to customize (Dexterity or .NET)
Hi, Can anyone help me to finalize decision. I want to create new customized product for HR which uses GP HR and Payroll Module. (customization require 80% of new Windows and 20% of modified(Alternate Forms) I have two options 1. Create this customized product through Dexterity (traditional way). 2. Create this product in .NET (using Developer toolkit for Microsoft Dynamics GP) Please tell me pros and cons of above given two approaches. Thanks for helping Fahim Amir Ali Fahim- My answer isn't going to be from a technical perspective--I've found that GP users tend to be sens...