Visual Studio Toolkit for GP and external apps

Can the VS toolkit be used to develop external applications? We've
tried to develop one that will run while GP is running (for good ole
retrieveglobals9.dll) but we keep getting odd "file not found" errors
that somehow relate to the dynamics.dll that DAG.exe generated.

However, we can take the same code, do it as a GP add-in and it works
fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried an external app using the
toolkit.

Thanks,
Steven V.

I tired VSK too, but I had no luck devloping mine. I was told dexerity was
need to do what I wanted.

David

"svallarian@gmail.com" wrote:

> Can the VS toolkit be used to develop external applications? We've
> tried to develop one that will run while GP is running (for good ole
> retrieveglobals9.dll) but we keep getting odd "file not found" errors
> that somehow relate to the dynamics.dll that DAG.exe generated.
>
> However, we can take the same code, do it as a GP add-in and it works
> fine.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried an external app using the
> toolkit.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven V.

0
David4882 (672)
4/2/2007 5:00:00 PM
Steven,

No, the toolkit components only work in the context of the
Microsoft.Dexterity.Bridge.dll and that assembly only works if the runtime
(dynamics.exe) is loaded and executing.

patrick
developer support

<svallarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Can the VS toolkit be used to develop external applications? We've
> tried to develop one that will run while GP is running (for good ole
> retrieveglobals9.dll) but we keep getting odd "file not found" errors
> that somehow relate to the dynamics.dll that DAG.exe generated.
>
> However, we can take the same code, do it as a GP add-in and it works
> fine.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried an external app using the
> toolkit.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven V.

0
prot1 (1345)

Log into GP 10
We are going to GP 10 soon, it is currently on a test machine. I have created a user, added to a role, with the relevant access. But, when I try to log in, I am going past the login screen, I am seeing the company access, but after that there is a blank screen. Please help, what have I missed? I have seen this happen before and it has to do with the Home Page not being populated. A couple of things to check, first make sure the user has been assigned the DEFAULT USER role - if that doesn't work, try deleting the user and then when you add them again select a home page rol...

How to close app and reopen it again
Hello I need my application to close and reopen itself. Could you please direct me to any site/post describing such problem. Thanks Janusz Sounds pretty easy. To close it, just AfxGetMainWnd()->PostMessage(WM_CLOSE); and it closes. To re-run it, I'd suggest adding the following code to the OnExitInstance handler: TCHAR exe[MAX_STRING]; ::GetModuleFileName(NULL, MAX_STRING, exe); // or some order of parameters ::ShellExecute(NULL , _T("open"), exe, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL); error checking is left as an Exercise For The Reader. joe On Wed, 25 Au...

Using Visual C++ 6.0 MFC Application
01/19/2004 Using a single document or a dialog application, I am able to use my own variables that are declared in the same source file, however, if I try to declare a global variable in a header file or a source file included before the code I am using, I get the error "Undeclared Identifier". Example in Old C: "First.h" int i; "Main.cpp" #include "First.h" main() { i=5; printf("%d",i); } When I declare a variable in a header file, in Class View - Globals, my variable does show up, b...

Standard Visual Basic vs Visual Basic for Applications
I've recently purchased Front Page and understand that I can code with Visual Basic as part of this software package. 1. What does Front Page contain: Standard Visual Basic or VBA? 2. Do either or both work with Visual Studio? 3. Is Visio different from Visual Studio? -- Deb Front Page and Visio are both Microsoft Office applications that contain VBA (Visual Basic for Applications). These programs are productivity applications first and programming platforms second. Visual Studio is a pure programming application. (All it does is let you write other programs.) Older versions of ...

GP 10.0 printer compatibility on Terminal Server
Hello: The docs that discuss printer and hardware compatibility for GP 10.0 say nothing about Terminal Server. Does anyone out there have any information on printer compatibility for GP 10.0 on Terminal Server? Thanks! childofthe1980s I have gotten this to work by setting up the printer as usual on the remote server, then choosing the printer port as one of the terminal server ports. (Go to printer properties, then ports) Every time I login though, I have to change the port to get it to work. It will say that the port I used in the previous session is inactive. So choose an active ...

Problem accessing varaiable declared in App Class
Hi, My app is an MFC Dialog app. I have a variable declared in my app class so that it is available to all classes in program using ((CMyApp*)AfxGetApp())->MyVar; The reason i do that is because i use this variable to give me access to my database and there are a number of places in my program that need to access my database. I am using an OLE DB command accessor to access the database and the variable i declace, gcmdAccessor, is used to open the database and query it. I open my databse in the initdialog method of my main dialog using HRESULT hResult = ((CMyApp*)AfxGetApp())->...

Invoice from PA module in GP
On many occassions we have to generate invoices during the week for which time sheet details available only in next week. Is there any way, we can raise invoice for T&M project from PA module before entering time sheet data? You could invoice a fee. "ARS" <ARS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F329236-BF36-4A51-8E75-082979878D8F@microsoft.com... > On many occassions we have to generate invoices during the week for which > time sheet details available only in next week. > > Is there any way, we can raise invoice for T&M project from P...

GP SDK
Hi, I am using GP 6.0. I load Dexterity to open the dictionary but I can't find any description of the fields in a table. I am new to GP so I need to know the meaning of each fields in the tables. Thanks in advance. I would suggest having a look at the SDK. For v6.0 it is on CD2 in the \DSDK folder. For v7.0 onwards it is on CD2 in the \TOOLS\SDK folder. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant MBS Services - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my pe...

I Visual Basic Error "File Not Found" when Excel opens
Good afternoon. I am using XP Pro at work and My computer just started doing this. when I open Excel, I get a message pop up that says in title "Visual Basic Error" and in body of error window is "File Not Found". If I click on help, says something about error 53 but when I try to look that up on Microsoft's website, can't find what seems to apply to my issue. And now when I go into my personal.xls to view my macros, I can get in, but if I try to save anything, I get a window pop up saying Excel must be shut down, and then a window pops up asking me if I want...

Using Mercury's Quick Test Pro to write test scripts for GP
Are there any users here who are writing test scripts for MS Dynamics GP with Mercury Quick Test Professional? ...

Dynamics GP 9.0 setting up 5000 Inventory items quickly
Hi folks: Need a suggestion on how to set up 5000 new Inventory Items in a quick, effecient way. The system does have integration manager, but is there another way to mass import an excel list that will automatically populate the accounts, and pricing method based on the inventory class that these inventory items all are? Regards -- Clay Tait Tait Distributors Having done this job a number of different ways, I would suggest Integration Manager. It is fairly complete. You could create a macro to create an inventory item and then mail merge the macro with the list, but error hand...

Unable to debug clr procs on studio pro
When I attempt to debug aclr proc from a windows 2008 box that has studio 2008 pro I am able to deploy the proc. But I receive first a warning then an exception WARNING: Unable to determine if the windows firewall is blocking remote debugging. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. T-SQL execution ended without debugging. You may not have sufficient permissions to debug. Click Help for more information. I'm using Integrated auth in sql connections and am a domain admin on both of the servers. I see nothing in the logs on the sql box that is h...

Visual C++ AND .Net
What would be the best package for me to purchase if I want to move from VC++ 6.0 and VB 6.0 to .Net? I think it is Visual Studio .Net (around $800.00). Is this correct? I just need a little direction since I have just been given the go ahead to purchase these items. Any information on these products - from someone who has used them - would be helpful. Thank you Ken >-----Original Message----- >What would be the best package for me to purchase if I want to move from >VC++ 6.0 and VB 6.0 to .Net? I think it is Visual Studio .Net (around >$800.00). Is this correct? I just nee...

Restrict items to customers
I have a client that sells pharmaceutical and non pharmaceutical products. Is it possible to restrict certain items to certain customers to avoid that a product for a drugstore cannot be sold to a supermarket. Thanks, -- Toni Sort of but not 100%...here is how. Use customer part numbers. You can have only one part number for a specific item but assign it to the customer using the customer part number cross reference table. So say part 100p is a CVS product with CVS labeling. Enter the part in your inventory then list it in the customer part number cross reference under customer ...

Looking for Visual C++ programmer with MS SQL Server 2005 to work off-site on small project
Looking for Visual C++ programmer with MS SQL Server 2005 to work off-site on small project. Please send me an email to: larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net ...

Printing a treeview on a report (or anything visually similar)
The topic says it all. I need to be able to print a hierarchy on a report. There's no limit to the number of levels (tho no more than 10 at the moment). I'm looking to simulate the look of a treeview. I'm stumped and I don't know where to start. Any suggestions are very welcomed. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200801/1 ...

Modifier and Visual Basic Editor dim ??
Hi, I have already set the security to access the customization tools (Modifier and Visual Basic Editor) for my user login. Why is both of this options still dim -- I can't click on these items (Modifier and Visual Basic Editor) because it is disabled. Please advise. Thanks a lot. it wont be available until you have purchased it - it is a separate module. You will get a new set of reg keys that will activate the choices. HS "Dolly" <Dolly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1553009B-B7A0-4D54-AAD1-ADD7F17D49A2@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have a...

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Error #2
When I open Outlook 2000, the first time I ger the following error "RUNTIME ERROR PROGRAM:C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OUTLOOK.EXE" It says this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information. There are two of us on the outlook e-mail that we share. We have two profiles and sepaarate PAB & PST files. I get it the first time, and when I close it out, it will open on the second go around with no problem. When I open the other profile, I get it the first time I open it, the...

Visual Studio 8.
I currently use Visual C++ Version 6. Should I purchase and begin using Visual Studio 8? Do I qualify for the the upgrade version of Visual Studio 8? TonyG wrote: > I currently use Visual C++ Version 6. > > Should I purchase and begin using Visual Studio 8? Maybe, or perhaps wait till the end of the month when Visual Studio 9 is released. :-) > > Do I qualify for the the upgrade version of Visual Studio 8? Yes. Bo Persson Yes and yes. No reason to go through all those other version in my opinion. Tom "TonyG" <TonyG@junk.com> wrote in message ne...

Macro to Launch GP
Hello, I am having trouble with getting GP 10.0 to launch and run a macro on a SBS 2003 Server. I have created the macro and the batch file to launch and start the macro. I then created a scheduled task to automatically run the batch file every night. What I am experiencing is that everything starts OK but during the process it loses focus of the login window and stalls. This occurs when I log onto the console remotely and then just disconnect from my rdp session. If I am on the server and run the Scheduled Task, it runs just fine. But if I disconnect, let the Scheduled Task run,...

visual aesthetics
does anyone have any links to pages on spreadsheet design from a 'visual aesthetic' viewpoint. i have been building spreadsheets for some years now and have found very little on the finer points of aesthetics. ...

Two Instance of GP with Different SQL Colations
Hi, I have installed two instance of GP pointing to two different SQL Collations The problem I facing is, One Colation is Arabic Binary and another is 1256CI_AS. When I change my regional settings to English, then I am getting problems in another GP with different colation settings. Please help me to sort out this issue ASAP A SQL Server collation defines how the database engine stores and operates on character and Unicode data. After data has been moved into an application (GP in this case), however, character sorts and comparisons done in the application are controlled by the Windows lo...

Visual Studio SP1
Any ideas when it will be avaliable? why asking? Do u found any bugs? And which Visual Studio are you talking about? "JoeB" <joe____A_A_A_A_A_ANoSpamPleaseThankyou_@kybert.com> �������/�������� � �������� ���������: news:OmZecnJHEHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Any ideas when it will be avaliable? > > > Im talking about VS.net 2003, i bought it a while ago and uninstalled it because its far too unusable. Im not using VS.net 2002 which is more stable, but still very buggy. joe "Dmitri Zhukov" <dimazhn@yandex.ru> wrote in message new...

Trigger on RM00101 throws exception error in GP 8.0
I've added an AFTER UPDATE trigger to the RM00101 table (customer master) in a Great Plains 8.0 SQL Server 2000 DB. Upon a change to one of 21 fields (separated by "or"s), the trigger assigns field values to variables, constructs an update query, and executes the query on a table in a linked SQL Server 2005 DB. The trigger works fine when fired as a result of a direct field update made through Enterprise Manager. However, when the same update is made through the Great Plains GIU (customer card window), an exception error is thrown: "Unhandled database exception: A Sa...

Visual C++ versus Visual Basic
Hello, I am aware that this is not a very appropriate place for my questions, but I don't know any other more appropriate place. I have been programming for last 20 years, using Basic, Pascal, Fortran and C++. Of these I liked mostly C++. I usually learned languages by using language interpreter help. Only recently I had to go Visual. I started with Visual Basic for a easy introduction and despite minor starting problems (being Visual means conceptually different) I am now fluent in Visual Basic too. However, when I tried Visual C++, I hit solid brick wall for the first time ...