Vendors can change PDF'd POs?

We've been emailing our POs to our vendors using the PDF creation ability in
GP. Someone just mentioned to me today that anyone who has Adobe can modify
the PDF file. We tried it out, and it's true.

I was always under the assumption that you couldn't change PDF files - I
guess I was mistaken. Doesn't this open us up to potential problems if a
vendor decided to alter a PO? What if our PO orders 10, but the vendor
changes it to 1,000?

--
Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO

Bud,

Technically, anyone with the right tools could modify any electronic
document.  However, if your PO were for 10 and they sent you 1,000,
someone would catch that when doing the receiving transaction and if
not there, then at the invoice receipt for sure because you can't
match more invoice dollar value to a PO than the PO is open for.

Then you'd investigate, find the vendor was trying to cheat, and you'd
quit doing business with them.  Plus, you have the emailed document in
your email history that would prove you ordered only 10.

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

0
fhamelly1 (1404)
6/6/2008 2:37:48 PM
The PDF standard does include some document security options -
disabling edits, printing, etc. - which you might be able to set at
production time.  Though Frank's right, it'd be extremely risky for a
supplier to try this, particularly as they'd be so unlikely to get
away with it.

Andrew
Anything can be changed....PDFs, paper copies, vendors that do you wrong....

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Bud" wrote:

> We've been emailing our POs to our vendors using the PDF creation ability in
> GP. Someone just mentioned to me today that anyone who has Adobe can modify
> the PDF file. We tried it out, and it's true.
>
> I was always under the assumption that you couldn't change PDF files - I
> guess I was mistaken. Doesn't this open us up to potential problems if a
> vendor decided to alter a PO? What if our PO orders 10, but the vendor
> changes it to 1,000?
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
0
info4071 (3004)
6/6/2008 2:55:00 PM
Yeah, I guess we'll just live with it. Too bad there isn't a global setting
in Adobe that would make ALL of your documents read-only if you wanted. As
far as I can tell, you can only do it on a document-by-document basis.

--

"Bud" wrote:

> We've been emailing our POs to our vendors using the PDF creation ability in
> GP. Someone just mentioned to me today that anyone who has Adobe can modify
> the PDF file. We tried it out, and it's true.
>
> I was always under the assumption that you couldn't change PDF files - I
> guess I was mistaken. Doesn't this open us up to potential problems if a
> vendor decided to alter a PO? What if our PO orders 10, but the vendor
> changes it to 1,000?
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
0
Bud (544)
6/6/2008 3:11:00 PM
The settings in PDF are global across all acrobat and Adobe systems
products. the problem there is that there are plenty of theird party
PDF editors out there that do not abide by Acrobat security settings.
As mentioned above there is no way to completly secure any document,
nor would you want to go through the hassle and expense of trying.
0
tankszuba (2)
6/6/2008 6:50:33 PM
The point is....ANYthing can be changed even if the settings are there.  It
is just more difficult.  Some years ago I consulted in IT security.  At that
time, NO security system anyone put up could stop me.  (Don't ask me to do
that today as I have not worked at that level in a while.)  I broke into 6
security systems in one day alone!
--

"Bud" wrote:

> Yeah, I guess we'll just live with it. Too bad there isn't a global setting
> in Adobe that would make ALL of your documents read-only if you wanted. As
> far as I can tell, you can only do it on a document-by-document basis.
>
> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
>

> "Bud" wrote:
>
> > We've been emailing our POs to our vendors using the PDF creation ability in
> > GP. Someone just mentioned to me today that anyone who has Adobe can modify
> > the PDF file. We tried it out, and it's true.
> >
> > I was always under the assumption that you couldn't change PDF files - I
> > guess I was mistaken. Doesn't this open us up to potential problems if a
> > vendor decided to alter a PO? What if our PO orders 10, but the vendor
> > changes it to 1,000?
> >

> > --
> > Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> > HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> > GP 9.0, SP2
0
info4071 (3004)

Changing default Page Size
I tried to print a report from CRM 3.0 but reliased that all reports are defaulted to 'Letter' page size. When I looked at the printer default size it is set at A4 but in the report the printing preference goes to 'Letter'. I also looked at the rdl file and it is in A4. Does anyone know how to change the page size to A4? Thanks -- dwoo ...

How can I fill in a column with the alphabet
I know there is a way that I can type in a in cell a1,b cell a2, b , cell a3, c and then drag to the bottom of the column and it will continue with d, e,f, etc but have forgotten.Can somebody please remind me again. Thanks Tools - Options - Custom Lists. Should be easy from there... -- barrfly Excel User - Energy markets ------------------------------------------------------------------------ barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4141 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471751 Hi Vincent, Use of the f...

How can I print a list of birthdays from my Outlook Contacts?
I am trying to print a list of all the birthdays I have noted in my Contacts .... can this be done? Mail merge to a directory provides the most ways to customize printing of Outlook data. -- Russ Valentine "LXD" <LXD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF91C4C1-0DBA-4C09-9579-7DB6064DAE04@microsoft.com... >I am trying to print a list of all the birthdays I have noted in my >Contacts > ... can this be done? ...

Copying SumIF formulas without changing the Sum Range
I am having trouble copying a SumIf formula without the Sum Range changing. Does anyone know how to do this? "Deborah" <galyong@sscserv.com> wrote in message news:0e3b01c38e66$27b27100$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am having trouble copying a SumIf formula without the > Sum Range changing. Does anyone know how to do this? Change the sum range references to absolute, such as A1 to $A$1. ...

can excel make a serialized list automaticly?
if I say start a column with 000001 is there a way to make it continue this etc 000001 000002 000003...and so on? 1 - You'll need to make a Custom format for the cells. Format Cells -> Custom format -> 000000 2 - In the first cell, enter 1. 3 - in the lower RH corner of the cell, you'll see a little black box. Click on it and pull down as far as needed. HTH, Barb Reinhardt "keyshop" wrote: > if I say start a column with 000001 is there a way to make it continue this etc > 000001 > 000002 > 000003...and so on? You need to enter at least 2 numbers ...

Can not log in
I've never had to log in before. I just hit send/receive and mail did it's thing. Now it's asking me for a username and password, but it's not accepting the ones I'm typing. I checked the accounts tab under tools. I do not have SSL checked. I have another computer and verified the settings Account: 'pop.west.cox.net', Server: 'pop.west.cox.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR a password MUST be entered', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 First, test your password by logging in to ...

"how to change the administrator password"
Dear expert, how to change the administrator password in MS exchange server 2003, would you please send me the path of an article show me how to do this ?? thankx There is no such thing as an Exchange administrator password. There's the normal administrator account, but Exchange does not use that. There is no longer a service account as there was in Exchange 5.5, since Exchange 200x uses LocalSystem for service startup. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Akkad" <amr.akkad@gbrands.com> wrote in mess...

email link in signature font changes, why?
Hi folks, I have an email link in my Outlook 2003 signature created in frontpage. In frontpage the link is arial black, but when I send email it arrives as Times new roman black...any idea why? Thanks, Danny ...

Can't use Word as editor
Recently (and I'm not sure why), the spell check feature in Outlook 2002 has stopped working properly. While it once corrected mistakes as I went, now it does not. I went to Tools | Options | Mail Format, but the boxes for using Microsoft Word to edit or read e-mail messages are dimmed and I cannot select them. Any ideas? Thanks. Forrest P.S. Any thoughts as to why the spell checker (back when it did work) always checked the original message in my reply, even though I made certain that the option to "ignore the original message" IS checked? "Forrest" <a...

Can I insert links to Excel workbooks Publisher?
I am working on a newsletter that is a Publisher template and I have some Cash Summary and YTD totals in various Excel workbooks and I cannot figure out a way to insert them into the newsletter. The newsletter is sent to various divisions within my company, so I cannot hyperlink the workbooks because not everyone would be able to access them. Is there any way to do this for either Excel workbooks or Adobe documents? Thanks! ...

How can I STOP search for msgr2GE.dll in Outlook2000 ?
I have msgr3GE.dll installed for German spell-check and it works. But whenever I do the Spell-check it first searches for the earlier file msgr2GE.dll. How can I stop this search since it does have the msgr3GE.dll file and that does the spell checking? ...

If check box changes
Access 2003 On my subform I have 3 checkboxes format Yes\No BBAll - control source BBAll default Yes BB1 - control source BB1 default No BB2 - control source BB2 default No and 2 textboxes TextBB1 - control source =DLookUp("[BB1]","[t000Facts]","[UnitID] =" & [UnitNo]) TextBB2 - control source =DLookUp("[BB2]","[t000Facts]","[UnitID] =" & [UnitNo]) If TextBB1 is null then BB1.enabled=false If TextBB2 is null then BB2.enabled=false this means if TextBB1 is empty then the BB1 checkbox selection is disabled(s...

Open and close an account record creates "changes"?
When I open and then close an Account record (in Web Client and Outlook Client of CRM) without changing anything, it still gives me the error "Are you sure you want to navigate from this page? Your changes have not been saved ... etc.." What can be the reason for this? We might have some workflows and/or coding on the Acount entity, but nothing unsupported or anything complicated..? Hi, Most probably you have some JScript on the form which is recalculating some field. If some field have value "100" and using some JScript, you remove that value and then reenter same v...

Changing the Exchange Alias
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to change a user's Exchange Alias. I've changed the username, exchange attributes, run the Recipient Update Service rebuild and update. When I address a message to the user, I right-click on the user's full name (in the To: field) and select properties. The Alias is still the old username. Any thoughts? Thanks! Jeff Did you change the alias name in ADUC? Jeff Brooks-Manas wrote: > Hello, > > I'm trying to figure out how to change a user's Exchange Alias. I've > changed the username, exchange attributes, run the...

Users can't accept tasks I assigned
I assigned tasks to users but for some reason they can't accept it. Is there a setting on the users' end that they have to adjust to accept the task? TIA ...

items not showing in my trash can
I checked the previous thread about items not showing in deleted items folder. the fix was to check the view to see if it was hiding deleted items. I can't find how to check the views to see of that's what's happening. step1 turn on the Advanced Toolbar. step 2 use the Current View window to see what View you are in. I hope this helps you at least a little bit! Please post your version next time too. :) Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Outlook trainer and author of Productiv_IT with Outlook read my articles here: www.judygleeson.com www.acorntraining.com.au Canberra, Australia &...

Have multiple price breaks for a vendor
When we order products from a vendor we can save money by ordering maybe 100 at a time versus 1 at a time. There is no way in the system to enter multiple price breaks for a vendor. If we order 200 we may even get a cheaper price. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the mess...

I can't resolve Error number: 0x80070020 downloading windows updat
Hi! While downloading windows updates to my computer I keep getting Error number: 0x80070020. what can I do? <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375> February 24, 2010 You receive error 0x80070020 when you use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to install updates <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825> -=- Ǝиçεl ◕‿◕ -=- "AJ" wrote: > Hi! While downloading windows updates to my computer I keep getting Error > number: 0x80070020. what can I do? ...

Can a macro open another worksheet?
Hello, I've got a macro that I need to run on about 200 spreadsheets. Is there a way to get it to select and open all 200 spreadsheets? Thanks, Art. Are they all in the same folder? In fact, do you need to open all the workbooks in a folder? Or all the workbooks in multiple known folders? If you have files in one folder--but you want to choose (click on the first and ctrl-click on subsequent in the file|open dialog), you can do something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myFileNames As Variant Dim iCtr As Long Dim wkbk As Workbook myFileNames = Ap...

Track changes in Outlook 2007 for DA
I want to reply to an e-mail and, as I recall, there is a "track changes" type feature, where your edits to their text show up, similar to track changes in MS Word. Can someone tell me the precise steps to find this feature. I looked everywhere and didn't find it. This is a standalone PC, not in a company network or anything. Thanks! Dean I'm a bit surprised to not have seen a response by now. Does someone know, for sure, that there simply is no such feature in Outlook 2007? Thanks "Dean" <DEANALT@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:480a71b3$0$9524...

Can I add a field to an eConnect schema?
I am using eConnect 9.0.2 and trying to enter MiscLog data to GP 9.0.2 I need to be able to add a date to .PAPeriodEndDate in the MiscLogHdr data. In order to load a range of data to Miscellaneous Log Entry with eConnect, I need to be able to add both the "Period Begin"(PAREPDT) and "Period End" (PAPeriodEndDate) dates to the header. Only MiscLogHdr.PAREPDT is currently exposed. Is this something I can do in the VB.NET code or is this a change Microsoft would have to make? *** Microsoft.GreatPlains.eConnect.eConnectException: Error Number = 1030 Stored Procedure ...

Can I write a macro that triggers off an Outlook alert
I would like to write a macro or other program that begins when it senses an alert in outlook. See the Reminder event of the Application object. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Category Manager - Manage and share your categories: SAM - The Sending Account Manager: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en> Am Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:30:01 -0700 schrieb Fred: > I would like to write a macro or other program that begins when it senses an > alert in outlook. ...

Can I Rotate with a Condition -or- Can I Display Graphics with a Formula
I am trying to write a function that will display less than and greater than signs, but do so in two directions; I'd like them to go left to right or up and down. So my questions is, since I can't find a char() for a reverse caret, is it possible to either rotate the caret with a conditional, or is there a way to display graphic characters (which I'll draw) using an Excel formula? Thanks Here's a goopd example of how you can use Excel to rotate an object, but I'm not sure how to use this concept to reverse a caret... http://www.andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm ...

Vendor Statement
Dear Sir, We are looking to have Vednor Statment to be print showing Begining Balance All transaction withini selected period and closing balance. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser...

How can I stop the clip board icon appearing after every paste
Every time I paste into a cell the little clip board icon appears - annoyingly in an invconvenient position, blocking my view of my work. How can I stop it from appearing? Hi glennando Tools>Options.. Edit Show paste options buttons -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "glennando" <glennando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23BE5B1C-D861-471E-BD88-886272B5DDFF@microsoft.com... > Every time I paste into a cell the little clip board icon appears - > annoyingly in an invconvenient position, blocking my view of my work. How can > I ...