VBA with Modifier or Dexterity with Modifier

I had to modify a few forms in the HR dictionary as i have to add/remove a
few fields, so i am using modifier with vba to save/retrive/delete data for
my fields.

I had added a local field to the window with modifier and saving/retriving
its value with VBA, now upon value returning from lookup or navigating
through records each time i am being prompt to save record message box even
though,i havent touched any field, i had put my VBA code on ID field's
Changed event.

Also i lose data and ID if i put delete code on Delete_AfterUserChanged
event so i had to put it on the Delete_BeforeUserChanged event which also had
a draw back that, it always prompts user to delete or cancel the action, but
code on this event causes my record to be deleted whatsoever user select
delete or cancel.

Now i had an alternative that i use modifier with dexterity, that i add
fields to the forms with modifier and use cross dictionary triggers to handle
them from dexterity please comment if this approach is right or is there any
way to achive it from VBA with modifier or any thing else.

Thanks in advance
0
Salman (15)

Salman:

For more details, I'd suggest you read the VBA Developers Guide located in
the documentation directory of the GP Install folder.  It has an example of
how to add and delete fields using DUOS tables with the Customer Maintenance
window as an example.  I know you are using HR and, most likely, ADO, but
the techniques for managing the changed events and for dealing with window
modal events are exactly the same.   Its in Chapter 6: Storing Additional
Data in the section entitled "Using the DUOS".  Again, I know you aren't
using DUOS, but if you substitute the appropriate ADO commands and
declarations for the DUOS stuff, you should be fine.

With that said, check the following things:

1. Being prompted to save:  After you retrieve your values, set the window
changed property to false.  Its something like EmployeeMaintenance.Changed =
false.  The other altervative is to set your fields Set Change property to
false when you add them in Modifier, but this only works when you are using
read only fields.

2.  To delete a record, rather than using just the Delete button, deal with
it using the modal dialog window that confirms the delete.  Again, see the
example in the VBA Developer's guide in the aforementioned sections.

Dwight

"Salman" <Salman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to modify a few forms in the HR dictionary as i have to add/remove a
> few fields, so i am using modifier with vba to save/retrive/delete data
> for
> my fields.
>
> I had added a local field to the window with modifier and saving/retriving
> its value with VBA, now upon value returning from lookup or navigating
> through records each time i am being prompt to save record message box
> even
> though,i havent touched any field, i had put my VBA code on ID field's
> Changed event.
>
> Also i lose data and ID if i put delete code on Delete_AfterUserChanged
> event so i had to put it on the Delete_BeforeUserChanged event which also
> had
> a draw back that, it always prompts user to delete or cancel the action,
> but
> code on this event causes my record to be deleted whatsoever user select
> delete or cancel.
>
> Now i had an alternative that i use modifier with dexterity, that i add
> fields to the forms with modifier and use cross dictionary triggers to
> handle
> them from dexterity please comment if this approach is right or is there
> any
> way to achive it from VBA with modifier or any thing else.
>
> Thanks in advance

Salman,

there are only a few reasons why this isn't working

1. your event isn't running
2. your code isn't finding the record and therefore the field you are
setting is blank.
3. you didn't add the window fields to VBA

You might take a look at the vba programmers guide as there is a section in
the book about handling your own fields.

patrick
mbs dev support

"Salman" <Salman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had to modify a few forms in the HR dictionary as i have to add/remove a
> few fields, so i am using modifier with vba to save/retrive/delete data
for
> my fields.
>
> I had added a local field to the window with modifier and saving/retriving
> its value with VBA, now upon value returning from lookup or navigating
> through records each time i am being prompt to save record message box
even
> though,i havent touched any field, i had put my VBA code on ID field's
> Changed event.
>
> Also i lose data and ID if i put delete code on Delete_AfterUserChanged
> event so i had to put it on the Delete_BeforeUserChanged event which also
had
> a draw back that, it always prompts user to delete or cancel the action,
but
> code on this event causes my record to be deleted whatsoever user select
> delete or cancel.
>
> Now i had an alternative that i use modifier with dexterity, that i add
> fields to the forms with modifier and use cross dictionary triggers to
handle
> them from dexterity please comment if this approach is right or is there
any
> way to achive it from VBA with modifier or any thing else.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
prot1 (1345)

Print, Merged Cells, and VBA

VBA and Scheduled task in Outlook

VLOOKUP in VBA

vba select field

Detecting which field was modified upon saving
Hi all, Is there a way to know, upon saving an entity, which of its fields was modified? Is it also possible to pass this information to a workflow? The idea is to create a workflow as an audit trail to track changes. It would be also nice to know which field exactly was changed. I already have workflows for when a record is created, deleted, or modified. I'd like to be more specific about which field was changed. The alternative would be to write a workflow for each field which is untenable. Thanks, Mohamed On Mar 25, 11:33=A0am, msandid <msan...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, ...

Turn pc speaker on/off with vba code

Hyperlink modifying
I have an excel worksheet that includes hundreds of hyperlinks to photographs. I am trying to burn them to CD, but need to change the current D:\asdf\asdf\asdf to :\asdf\asdf\asdf so the links still work when burnt to disk. Is there an automatic way of deleting every D for "D drive" from the start of every hyperlink or do I need to change them all manually? ...

Excel and VBA
I am very interested in learning more about using VBA in office, especially Excel. Can you post some resources (online, books, etc) that can be used to help learn about using Visual Basic in office. Thanks! Here's a good place to start: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "Bob Sinclair" wrote: > I am very interested in learning more about using VBA in office, especially > Excel. Can you post some resources (online, books, etc) that can be used to > help learn about using Visual Basic in office. >...

VBA Customization
Is there a way to get the name of the current company through VBA in Great Plains 8.0? Thanks for all your help. open GreatPlains. Add the current window, it will add the Toolbar then add fields choose the company name on the top left after the user id. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get the name of the current company through VBA in Great >Plains 8.0? > >Thanks for all your help. > > > >. > Thanks. I tried, but I couldn't add company name to the field list. It opens up the login screen instead. Any thoughts? Thanks again. "ger...

Form Controls vs VBA controls
I am new to VBA so just finding my feet, can anyone help me with th differences between an excel control (i.e. one from the form toolbox lets say a checkBox and a vba checkBox? From trying the two controls the I have noticed is that you canno capture the change event of the VBA checkbox in the code module, it ha to be done via the sheet (i.e. checkbox on sheet1, code goes in chang event on sheet1) the control is placed on, is this correct? What woul you do if you have three sheets with the same controls just differen data, do you really have to code the control 3 times? The excel control ho...

Run VBA without show
I want excel to run the VBA code without showing me what it is doing. Which code should i use for that? Sub RunWithoutShow() Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Paste the vba code here 'end of code 'Change screenupdating property to true Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub I hope this helps... Selva V Pasupathy For more on Excel, VBA, & other Resources Please visit: http://socko.wordpress.com You may also (inserting into quote from code example bellow from Socko) Use Application.Visible property to hide the application entirely Sub RunWithoutShow() Appli...

Outlook 2007 event sink bug
I have been developing some new enhanced code for one of our products that allows use to monitor emails that are being sent via Outlook. In order to do this I am using the MAPI COM and specifically the event sink generated by Outlook to signal events that have occured to an email - such as Open, Sent, Saved, Closed, etc. The software works fine under Outlook XP, 2003, etc but the event trigger in Outlook 2007 is incorrect when you are closing a modified email and effectively requesting it to be saved in the draft folder. Let me explain: Under 2003, you can use COM to create a new emai...

Referencing a ComboBox in VBA
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. I want to run some code in my Workbook_Open() Sub that fills a combo box on one of my Worksheets (I will call it myCombo on mySheet). I tried the following code and it did not work: myCombo.Clear myCombo.AddItem "Item One" myCombo.AddItem "Item Two" myCombo.AddItem "Item Three" I assume that the problem is that within the Workbook_Open() Sub, the reference to myCombo is not valid. Can anyone tell me if/how I can get a valid reference to myCombo (on mySheet)? Thanks in advance, Paul Kraemer -- Paul Krae...

inserting and renaming a sheet vba
Instead of having 2 lines of code, one to insert a new sheet and one t rename it, is there a way to insert a sheet with particular name i one go -- Matt Housto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt Houston's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=451 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26717 ...

VBA??
Is there any way i can input certain numbers and they change to words. for example. 2001 Omagh 2002 Craigavon 2027 Housing Benefit 2036 IT Replacment any help please thanks monty If you mean you want to enter 2001 in cell A1 and have "Omagh" magically appear in its place when you hit the return key, I don't think it can be done. However, if you enter 2001 in cell A1 and have a VLOOKUP formula in cell B1, with reference data stored elsewhere in the sprdsht, that is easily done. Monty How many substitutes do you have? You are probably best to set up a separate table with ...

Using VBA to automatically add a new date to my table?
I would like to have my table (perhaps through a form) automatically add a new record with the date, every 24 hours, starting at midnight, 24/7/365 How do I do that? Also, And how do I search my username VWP1, because I tried searching users, typed in my VWP1 username, and no records were found? VWP1 On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:23:02 -0800, VWP1 <VWP1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to have my table (perhaps through a form) automatically add a >new record with the date, every 24 hours, starting at midnight, 24/7/365 >How do I do that? Why th...

Need VBA code that enters the F2 Key upon entering the Field
I am using Access 2000. I understand that simply by pressing the F2 key while the cursor is in that field, you can toggle Off and ON the highlighting for that field (textbox). Can someone explain the necessary VBA code to perform this action without the user's intervention? "nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E128AC11-3153-4A50-9873-F3BFACAC91B1@microsoft.com... >I am using Access 2000. > > I understand that simply by pressing the F2 key while the cursor is in > that > field, you can toggle Off and ON th...

Auto Calendars in VBA
Need to create a monthly schedule for work.To enter the dates (Numbers) into every other cell this is what I have so far Activecell.Select Activecell.Offset(0,2)=Activecell+1 I'm wondering is there an easier way to do this.Right now I have one module for the Year 2006 with sub's for each month.These will get called when form dropdown list show's that month. if frmMonth.cboMonth.Value="January" & frmMonth.cboYear.value="2006" then Call Year2006.Jan06 end if Is there an easier way to determine the today's date then creating Next month's c...

vba
salut j'ai une probleme sur vba que je n'arrive pas resoudre : j'ai un tableau de donnees (qui sont rentrees avec des userform). pour supprimer une ligne de ce tableau, j'ai cree un userform avec une liste deroulante dont la rowsource est la premiere colonne de mon tableau. je voudrais , en selectionnant une valeur ds cette liste, qu'elle soit selectionnee ds mon classeur excel pour que je puisse supprimer la ligne. merci de votre aide -- Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr ...

VBA Training
Are there any good books out there that would assist someone who wants to learn VBA from the ground up? Something that would take a person from a beginner to mid-level or beyond? Just wondering what others have done to become proficient. Rick Hi Rick, I bought a book for Excel 2000 that is loaded with all kinds of useful stuff. The book is called Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA, by John Walkenbach. It includes a CD. Over 800 pages, a big book. Donna "Rick" wrote: > Are there any good books out there that would assist someone who wants to > learn VBA from the ...

VBA #6
When opening Excel or attempting to export from MS Great Plains to Excel, I receive the following: "Could not run the Visual Basic Environment. Please run Setup." "An error occurred initializing the VBA libraries (1157)" I have run setup for errors and tried re-installing Office XP Prof. w/o success! Any suggestions? Thanx. You might try Detect and Repair on the Excel Help menu. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "dcs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a2701c47e33$4f1785b0$a301280a@phx.gbl... | When opening Excel or attempting to expor...