users should administer printers not administrators

Great Plains administration of printers
(Unnecessary administration is required)

Named Printers is obviously a flawed idea. The administrator of the GP
program should not be involved with the user period….
The basic concept is that the administrator knows every printer in the
company or multiple companies in my case, the users and where all things
should print… That’s a phenomenal amount of memory required to do a simple
job… As an administrator it’s best to stay out of the way of all the users
needs, keep with the security issues and have as little to do with
Let the user assign his own printers, If I have a report is open the system
is aware the report its open and who is logged into Great Plains, It knows
the company being accessed…
The printer naming system should not be mandatory…
1. Let the USER choose the printer to assign to that report if it goes to a
special printer when the report is opened and on their screen…
2. Let the USER choose their default printer when they log in…
3. Let the USER choose the default printer based on the COMPANY, USER ID,
etc…. Since the user is already logged in he is the best person suited to
know how he prints etc.

How is anyone suppose to administer a system and remember multiple
companies, multiple printers and multiple users using multiple reports… Let
the users assign there own system printers, report printers and user default
printers… Take unnecessary administration out of the program it’s a vast
waste of time and effort….

Sincerely,
Eric LaRocca
Concord Steel

Please forward on to great plains this request…

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9429a69d-1dee-4c17-9bd3-9eb19dd94b5a&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
easy (1)

I would agree that Named Printers could be offered without a system password
so that users could change their own settings.  But I disagree that the
entire concept of Named Printers is flawed.

How about we put a suggestion to allow Named Printers to be available from
User Preferences?

Something else to think about is that in a Terminal Server or Citrix
environment, the configuration usually has a single Machine ID for all the
users.  Making Named Printers accessible to the users, could allow one user
to mess up the settings for all users on that server.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Original designer and developer of Named Printers
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer
MBS Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"printer administration made easy" wrote:

> Great Plains administration of printers
> (Unnecessary administration is required)
>
> Named Printers is obviously a flawed idea. The administrator of the GP
> program should not be involved with the user period….
> The basic concept is that the administrator knows every printer in the
> company or multiple companies in my case, the users and where all things
> should print… That’s a phenomenal amount of memory required to do a simple
> job… As an administrator it’s best to stay out of the way of all the users
> needs, keep with the security issues and have as little to do with
> Let the user assign his own printers, If I have a report is open the system
> is aware the report its open and who is logged into Great Plains, It knows
> the company being accessed…
> The printer naming system should not be mandatory…
> 1. Let the USER choose the printer to assign to that report if it goes to a
> special printer when the report is opened and on their screen…
> 2. Let the USER choose their default printer when they log in…
> 3. Let the USER choose the default printer based on the COMPANY, USER ID,
> etc…. Since the user is already logged in he is the best person suited to
> know how he prints etc.
>
> How is anyone suppose to administer a system and remember multiple
> companies, multiple printers and multiple users using multiple reports… Let
> the users assign there own system printers, report printers and user default
> printers… Take unnecessary administration out of the program it’s a vast
> waste of time and effort….
>

> Sincerely,
> Eric LaRocca
> Concord Steel
>

> Please forward on to great plains this request…
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9429a69d-1dee-4c17-9bd3-9eb19dd94b5a&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)

New to User Forms

Users Shared Folders

Users not showing up All Users

user breakpoint

Need User Name and Password

Random Users Calendars not viewable

Manager grayed out on user setup

Lotus user to Outlook user Attachments missing
Hi everyone, I have a strange problem that hopefully someone can help with or maybe point me in the right direction. Infrastructure info: All our clients are running Office 2007 SP2 and we have Exchange 2007 SP1 as our backend. We have a client that has Lotus Notes and sends us many emails per day and almost always they have attachments but usually PDF's, JPG's and DOC's. We have just discovered that they occasionally send us scanned docs in MDI format. The problem is that it appears as though when the client running Lotus attached an MDI file and sends the ema...

users sending messages to themselves
Hello all, I'm running a Exchange 2000 server w SP3 on W2K box w SP4. I have some users who have this old habit of sending a copy of out going message to themselves when they compose a new message by cc or bcc or even To field. I ask them not to do but they are still doing it. Is there a way (may be a script or rule or anything in Exchange or third party software) to stop this. I was told by someone that there is nothing of that nature but I'm still not convinced. There's gotta be a way. Thanks Raj Bambrah Why not let them do whatever they damn well please? Raj Bambrah wro...

IMF and remote users.
I need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam, but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails caught by the filter. If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote office users will never see those emails in that they will have been moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL? Thank you. - Are you going to use ...

Limit user access on customer/vendor?
is it possible to control user access on certain customer/vendors? something like account level security, but on customer/vendor. Hi HFLo, No you cannot have Customer/Vendor Control Access as account security, since no module in GP has this feature, this is one of the drawbacks of GP no ROW LEVEL SECURITY at all, we are using the third party product for this security setup, it also works for Inventory and items just like account security. In short GP dosent have this feature. AXAPTA has this feature to restrict access to customers, vendors, inventory items at site level etc....... w...

Preventing a user from seing other users opportunities
Hi, I have a case in which 2 CRM users (A) & (B) shouldn't see each other's opportunities and this is indeed the case. However, when a user (A) creates an opportunity for which the account is owned by user (B), user (B) is then able to see this user (A) opportunity. I understand that this might be logical business wise, however, is there any way to prevent user (B) from seing these opportunities of user (A) even though he is the owner of the opportunity account ?? Thanks in advance I don't believe this is possible but I could be wrong. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP...

Sending a copy of each email that a user sends
We have a security issue from HR requiring them to review all email sent from a user Is there a way to cc: an HR account with all email sent without the user being aware of the cc:? Have a look at this software www.exclaimer2000.com On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:41:08 -0800, Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a security issue from HR requiring them to review all email sent from a user. >Is there a way to cc: an HR account with all email sent without the user being aware of the cc:? This is very easy with Exchange 5.5. What version do you have? Rafael "...

security- users
hi all can anyone tell me this.. i want when someone opens the data base to asked for a user name and password. if the user name is for example "admin" (thats me) to have full access, can create,delete tables,create report etc. if the user name is "user1" to be able only for read, write ,add record ?? i prefered to do this by using the User and Group Permissions but any other suggestions are welcome.. thanks On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:54:01 -0800, Osyris <Osyris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Workgroup Security is an advanced topic. Do not attempt to use it un...

User in more than one user class?
Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class? We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user class while retaining her current accesses. The only method I saw for adding the accesses is to do them individually for the user. Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a new user class with the accesses of the two classes in question? Thank you. For versions 9.0 and prior a user can only be in 1 security class at a time. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "d...

Custom User Forms
Hello All: I know.... "the only 'stupid' question, is the one that's not asked..... Hopefully, I won't look like "too" much of a novice. Here goes, I have a elderly user, who is not overly comfortable with using Excel, and is used to the "dumb terminal" approach of data entry. Not that I don't want her to learn, she is just extremely hesitant. Anyway, I would like to create a custom form for her to enter information into, which then populates a "hidden" worksheet. Would need to have a couple of Validation fields, i.e. o...

Best Barcode Printer
I need input regarding the best approach for printing barcodes. We currently use a thermal transfer set-up, the printer is a Cognitive Advantage LX 4 inch wide label capacity. Our requirements: 1. Must be a thermal transfer printer (labels don't fade over time) 2. Need label flexibility - Butterfly labels for Jewelry, small rectangular labels for other items (0.75inch x 0.75 inch) Currently we are experiencing many problems with the label feeds. I have tried changing to gap sensing and black bar sensing for the labels (changed corresponding media too). The issue with the Advantage L...

User Limit
Hi! Is there a way in GP 9 to keep some User Licenses always free and fix them for specific GP users so that they can always login without any problem? For example if i have 50 GP User Licenses i need to fix 10 of them only for 10 very important users and if one of these 10 users is not logged in then one GP license should be free until he logs in and nobody should be able to take this license? Thanks! Unfortunately this feature does not exist out of the box, but it might be customizable. Regards -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -99...

Assigning Accounts to a User Cascades down through Contacts, Cases
Using CRM 1.2 - We have a revolving door with Sales people coming and going - and I have to reassign the ownership of the Accounts to the new sales people when they come in. The way our security is designed is that the Sales person maintains ownership of the Account - and therefore only sees the Accounts they are the owner of. Service organization can only see the records that are "Shared" with the Team they are a part of. My problem is this: when I reassign the Account, the ownership for all of the contacts, cases etc... also changes - which creates a problem when trying...

Query in Excel and user rights
Hi, With the Microsoft Query wizard in Excel a user can make a connection with the CRM database. With this wizard you can write to the database. A user with the role sales can see only the filtered views but is that user allowed to write to the database? Thanks Jan Jan, The filtered views are set up specifically to prevent users from writing to the database. So in your case, the user will not be able to write to the database. Mike Cross http://www.navint.com "JN" wrote: > > Hi, > > With the Microsoft Query wizard in Excel a user can make a connection with ...