User in more than one user class?

Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user class
while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding the
accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way to
do this?
Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a new
user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
Thank you.
0
dhkerr (11)

For versions 9.0 and prior a user can only be in 1 security class at a time.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"dhkerr" <dhkerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
> We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user
> class
> while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding
> the
> accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way
> do this?
> Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a
> new
> user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
> Thank you.

0
victoria (3340)
6/13/2007 3:02:49 PM
Thank you for the response, Victoria.
It looks like copying user 1's permissions to user 2 should address it.
User 2 will test doing both user 1 and her current tasks in a test company
today.
Thanks again.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> For versions 9.0 and prior a user can only be in 1 security class at a time.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "dhkerr" <dhkerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
> > We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user
> > class
> > while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding
> > the
> > accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way
> > do this?
> > Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a
> > new
> > user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
> > Thank you.

0
dhkerr (11)
6/13/2007 3:38:00 PM
 Hi,

Best idea would be to create the third User Class wth the combined
permissions.

Dynamics GP doesn't support one to many User to Class relationships.

R.

"dhkerr" wrote:

> Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
> We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user class
> while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding the
> accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way to
> do this?
> Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a new
> user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
> Thank you.
0
Rockfield (54)
6/13/2007 9:28:03 PM
We chose a slightly different route than the other excellent ideas presented
in this thread.  We create a new user for the person who will be covering the
absence and deactivate that user when the other employee returns.

We do this for tracking purposes,  Its easy to document the account creation
and deactivation with notes for the aduitors as to why it was done.  Its much
more difficult to adjust (and prove) security groups and group assignments.

VinceV

"dhkerr" wrote:

> Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
> We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user class
> while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding the
> accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way to
> do this?
> Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a new
> user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
> Thank you.
0
VinceV (156)
6/13/2007 9:35:01 PM
The next bit of information to add is that v10 has a completely new security
model in which a User can be linked to multiple Roles.  This finally gives us
the ability to get the end result that assigning a user to multiple class
would have done.

Note that v10's security model is pessimistic rather than optimistic.  This
means access is denied by default and must be granted by the administrator.

Have a look at this whitepaper for more info on v10 security:

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/documentation/whitepapers/msdygp10_securityplanwp.htm?printpage=false

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

and confers no rights.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> For versions 9.0 and prior a user can only be in 1 security class at a time.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "dhkerr" <dhkerr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
> > We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user
> > class
> > while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding
> > the
> > accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way
> > do this?
> > Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a
> > new
> > user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
> > Thank you.

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
6/13/2007 11:26:00 PM
Fastpath has a Role based security application that works with any version of
GP.

It allows for multiple roles and different roles in each company.  You can
also set roles to expire for an end user.

www.gofastpath.com

"VinceV" wrote:

> We chose a slightly different route than the other excellent ideas presented
> in this thread.  We create a new user for the person who will be covering the
> absence and deactivate that user when the other employee returns.
>
> We do this for tracking purposes,  Its easy to document the account creation
> and deactivation with notes for the aduitors as to why it was done.  Its much
> more difficult to adjust (and prove) security groups and group assignments.
>

> VinceV
>
> "dhkerr" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to add a user to more than one user class?
> > We have a user who will temporarily need the accesses of another user class
> > while retaining her current accesses.  The only method I saw for adding the
> > accesses is to do them individually for the user.  Is there a better way to
> > do this?
> > Perhaps adding the user to the second user class temporarily or create a new
> > user class with the accesses of the two classes in question?
> > Thank you.
0
DrewSnook (40)

New to User Forms

Users Shared Folders

How do I turn a one-page flyer template into a 1/2 page postcard?
I have a one-page flyer template which I would like to turn into 1/2 page-sized postcard template. Is there a way to reduce, rotate, and shrink to fit the original template so that I could print it as postcards? ...

is it possible to have one database that shadows another....
Hi, I have an sql 2008 express (adv services) database that is located on my computers e:\. What I want to be able to do, is have a backup database or redundant database, that is always kept upto date so that if the e:\ fails then the other drive is able to be used. Could I use replication within the same SQL Server to do this or can you only replicate from one SQL server to another ? Using hardware raid is not really an option(although perfect as a solution) and the SQL is on Windows Vista, which I don't think has any software based raid mirroring... Thanks ...

VBA in Access or Outlook
I have a table containing email addresses and other data that I need to email out to each recipient in the table. Each email will contain in the body of the message only the data relative to the particular recipient. My question is which application Access or Outlook is the best one to code the module in to do this? I am using Access 2003 and Outlook 2003. Use the SendObject command in Access VBA. "Susan" wrote: > I have a table containing email addresses and other data that I need to email > out to each recipient in the table. Each email will contain in the body of ...

XML schema class?
Hi; I know an XML schema is XML and so can be read using the XML classes. However, I was wondering if there is a class that understands a schema and can read it and returns the schema as nodes/properties in that class? -- thanks - dave david_at_windward_dot_net http://www.windwardreports.com Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm "David Thielen" <thielen@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:2EA1508A-4123-44D3-B482-D768085CAF91@microsoft.com... > Hi; > > I know an XML schema is XML and so can be read using the XML classes. > > However, I ...

Can any one tell me which one is best? #4
Im trying to pick a mortgage but i dont understand the ins and out can any one tell me which of these is the best? http://www.swoopon.com/Swoopon/mortgage.htm ...

forward email form one outlook 2007 profile to another
I am a google apps sync user and when my email comes into Outlook it goes into the apps profile inbox. Maybe some of you are aware of the problem with google apps in that you cannot change the "From" field in outgoing mail. For example: my wife and I are a Realtor team, our domain is xxx.com. Our account email address in google apps is PamandBruce@xxx.com When an email is sent from the apps profile in Outlook 2007, it shows as coming from just my name and this apparently cannot be changed. Can I create a new profile in Outlook 2007, have the mail from the google app...

Users not showing up All Users

user breakpoint

DoModal throws an access violation only for one language
Hi, I've posted the first part of my issue here and it got resolved. The second part is what I am still struggling with. It consists of 2 issues. Perhaps someone would be able to help. Please excuse the repeated post. I have a few dialogs, icons, bitmaps, strings that I've localized in the following way: I've created a separate resource only dll which has a separate RC file for each language. This project also has a different build configuration for each language. So that in that configuration only that dll will build and the resources pane in the project properties will be se...

Need User Name and Password

Random Users Calendars not viewable

Manager grayed out on user setup

Lotus user to Outlook user Attachments missing
Hi everyone, I have a strange problem that hopefully someone can help with or maybe point me in the right direction. Infrastructure info: All our clients are running Office 2007 SP2 and we have Exchange 2007 SP1 as our backend. We have a client that has Lotus Notes and sends us many emails per day and almost always they have attachments but usually PDF's, JPG's and DOC's. We have just discovered that they occasionally send us scanned docs in MDI format. The problem is that it appears as though when the client running Lotus attached an MDI file and sends the ema...

How does one name, for instance, A1 as 'last name?'
I want to rename the head of each column; instead of A! I want to rename it 'last name.' How's that done? You can't. But, you can use the top row and not show the row/column headers -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Rev. Benny" <Rev. Benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:078E2715-B8D9-41BC-A592-F1EF9582154C@microsoft.com... >I want to rename the head of each column; instead of A! I want to rename it > 'last name.' How's that done? "Rev. Benny" <Rev. Benny@discus...

users sending messages to themselves
Hello all, I'm running a Exchange 2000 server w SP3 on W2K box w SP4. I have some users who have this old habit of sending a copy of out going message to themselves when they compose a new message by cc or bcc or even To field. I ask them not to do but they are still doing it. Is there a way (may be a script or rule or anything in Exchange or third party software) to stop this. I was told by someone that there is nothing of that nature but I'm still not convinced. There's gotta be a way. Thanks Raj Bambrah Why not let them do whatever they damn well please? Raj Bambrah wro...

IMF and remote users.
I need a bit of hand holding on this. We are about to start hosting our own email. There are branch offices that will pick up their email with POP3 from our server running SBS 2003. I want to filter for spam, but also want all the users to have the ability to review emails caught by the filter. If I use the IMF filter, am I correct in assuming that the remote office users will never see those emails in that they will have been moved out of their inbox to the spam folder? Is there a built-in method of tagging, not moving emails identified as spam on a RBL? Thank you. - Are you going to use ...

Preventing a user from seing other users opportunities
Hi, I have a case in which 2 CRM users (A) & (B) shouldn't see each other's opportunities and this is indeed the case. However, when a user (A) creates an opportunity for which the account is owned by user (B), user (B) is then able to see this user (A) opportunity. I understand that this might be logical business wise, however, is there any way to prevent user (B) from seing these opportunities of user (A) even though he is the owner of the opportunity account ?? Thanks in advance I don't believe this is possible but I could be wrong. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP...

Limit user access on customer/vendor?
is it possible to control user access on certain customer/vendors? something like account level security, but on customer/vendor. Hi HFLo, No you cannot have Customer/Vendor Control Access as account security, since no module in GP has this feature, this is one of the drawbacks of GP no ROW LEVEL SECURITY at all, we are using the third party product for this security setup, it also works for Inventory and items just like account security. In short GP dosent have this feature. AXAPTA has this feature to restrict access to customers, vendors, inventory items at site level etc....... w...