Upgrade from DP v8.0 to Gp v9.0

Hello all,

I have been administrating GP v8.0 for a little while and have recently
upgraded to v9.0. I am running into a problem where users can not login. The
specific error is "Login failed. Please contact your systems administrator"
The users never had a problem before the upgrade and even 2 weeks into the
new platform then all of a sudden users can not connect. I have tried
deleting users and recreating them, even establishing a new ODBC connection.
I have searched up and down for a fix but to no avail. I actually have two
clients that experience this quite regularly with a terminal server
connection, and nothing has change since before or after the upgrade.

Thank you for any advise you may have!
0
GPHelpPLZ (8)

Did you install the most current service pack for V9?  Also this is sometimes
resolved by using the new SQL Native ODBC client on the workstations.
Download and intstall that.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"GPHelpPLZ" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been administrating GP v8.0 for a little while and have recently
> upgraded to v9.0. I am running into a problem where users can not login. The
> specific error is "Login failed. Please contact your systems administrator"
> The users never had a problem before the upgrade and even 2 weeks into the
> new platform then all of a sudden users can not connect. I have tried
> deleting users and recreating them, even establishing a new ODBC connection.
> I have searched up and down for a fix but to no avail. I actually have two
> clients that experience this quite regularly with a terminal server
> connection, and nothing has change since before or after the upgrade.
>

> Thank you for any advise you may have!
0
info4071 (3004)
9/12/2007 12:48:01 AM
Rischard,

I am currently running GP v( on a SQL 2000 application. I have downloaded
the installer, but what exactly is this going to do for me? Are there any
know issue with the current built-in SQL ODBC driver for GP v9?

Thank you

"Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:

> Did you install the most current service pack for V9?  Also this is sometimes
> resolved by using the new SQL Native ODBC client on the workstations.
> Download and intstall that.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "GPHelpPLZ" wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been administrating GP v8.0 for a little while and have recently
> > upgraded to v9.0. I am running into a problem where users can not login. The
> > specific error is "Login failed. Please contact your systems administrator"
> > The users never had a problem before the upgrade and even 2 weeks into the
> > new platform then all of a sudden users can not connect. I have tried
> > deleting users and recreating them, even establishing a new ODBC connection.
> > I have searched up and down for a fix but to no avail. I actually have two
> > clients that experience this quite regularly with a terminal server
> > connection, and nothing has change since before or after the upgrade.
> >

> > Thank you for any advise you may have!
0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/12/2007 1:48:01 AM
Also, yes I have installed the latest service pack.

Thanks

"Richard Whaley -- MVP" wrote:

> Did you install the most current service pack for V9?  Also this is sometimes
> resolved by using the new SQL Native ODBC client on the workstations.
> Download and intstall that.
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "GPHelpPLZ" wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been administrating GP v8.0 for a little while and have recently
> > upgraded to v9.0. I am running into a problem where users can not login. The
> > specific error is "Login failed. Please contact your systems administrator"
> > The users never had a problem before the upgrade and even 2 weeks into the
> > new platform then all of a sudden users can not connect. I have tried
> > deleting users and recreating them, even establishing a new ODBC connection.
> > I have searched up and down for a fix but to no avail. I actually have two
> > clients that experience this quite regularly with a terminal server
> > connection, and nothing has change since before or after the upgrade.
> >

> > Thank you for any advise you may have!
0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/12/2007 1:50:01 AM
If I remember right, beginning with V9, GP uses the server name as set
in the ODBC setup as part of the user password encryption.  Make sure
the server name in ALL ODBC connections, including on the server, are
exactly the same.  If it isn't, any users setup at the server, for
instance, may not able to login from the client.

Not sure if this is causing your issue, but it's one more thing to
check off the list of possibilities.

Good luck,

Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP
NOVA Solutions LLC
Melbourne, FL

0
fhamelly (399)
9/12/2007 2:09:48 AM
Frank,

I tried installing the client but no luck. I checked and double checked the
ODBC connection settings and everthing is fine. Is there anything else that
you can think of?Could there be something within SQL that is causing the
problem?

Please help!

"Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote:

> If I remember right, beginning with V9, GP uses the server name as set
> in the ODBC setup as part of the user password encryption.  Make sure
> the server name in ALL ODBC connections, including on the server, are
> exactly the same.  If it isn't, any users setup at the server, for
> instance, may not able to login from the client.
>
> Not sure if this is causing your issue, but it's one more thing to
> check off the list of possibilities.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP
> NOVA Solutions LLC
> Melbourne, FL

0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/12/2007 12:24:05 PM
Is it all GP users that are getting this error?  Or just some users?  Is it
only users on the Terminal Server?  Sorry, it's just not very clear from
your posts, and the troubleshooting would be different depending on the
answers.

Was anything changed as far as the server, or network setup recently?

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Frank,
>
> I tried installing the client but no luck. I checked and double checked
> the
> ODBC connection settings and everthing is fine. Is there anything else
> that
> you can think of?Could there be something within SQL that is causing the
> problem?
>
> Please help!
>
> "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote:
>
>> If I remember right, beginning with V9, GP uses the server name as set
>> in the ODBC setup as part of the user password encryption.  Make sure
>> the server name in ALL ODBC connections, including on the server, are
>> exactly the same.  If it isn't, any users setup at the server, for
>> instance, may not able to login from the client.
>>
>> Not sure if this is causing your issue, but it's one more thing to
>> check off the list of possibilities.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP
>> NOVA Solutions LLC
>> Melbourne, FL

0
victoria (3340)
9/13/2007 4:31:49 PM
No it is not all GP users just the terminal server users. Nothing has changed
except the verion 8 to version 9 upgrade. Everyone locally in my office is
fine. But also if I lauch GP locally and try to use one of the remote user
IDs I get the same error.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Is it all GP users that are getting this error?  Or just some users?  Is it
> only users on the Terminal Server?  Sorry, it's just not very clear from
> your posts, and the troubleshooting would be different depending on the
> answers.
>
> Was anything changed as far as the server, or network setup recently?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Frank,
> >
> > I tried installing the client but no luck. I checked and double checked
> > the
> > ODBC connection settings and everthing is fine. Is there anything else
> > that
> > you can think of?Could there be something within SQL that is causing the
> > problem?
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote:
> >
> >> If I remember right, beginning with V9, GP uses the server name as set
> >> in the ODBC setup as part of the user password encryption.  Make sure
> >> the server name in ALL ODBC connections, including on the server, are
> >> exactly the same.  If it isn't, any users setup at the server, for
> >> instance, may not able to login from the client.
> >>
> >> Not sure if this is causing your issue, but it's one more thing to
> >> check off the list of possibilities.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP
> >> NOVA Solutions LLC
> >> Melbourne, FL

0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/13/2007 5:20:03 PM
Are you able to log into GP on the Terminal Server as 'sa'?  If so, can you
try recreating one of the users that's having a problem while logged in on
the TS as 'sa' to see if that works?

--

> No it is not all GP users just the terminal server users. Nothing has
> changed
> except the verion 8 to version 9 upgrade. Everyone locally in my office is
> fine. But also if I lauch GP locally and try to use one of the remote user
> IDs I get the same error.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is it all GP users that are getting this error?  Or just some users?  Is
>> it
>> only users on the Terminal Server?  Sorry, it's just not very clear from
>> your posts, and the troubleshooting would be different depending on the
>> answers.
>>
>> Was anything changed as far as the server, or network setup recently?
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>>

>> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Frank,
>> >
>> > I tried installing the client but no luck. I checked and double checked
>> > the
>> > ODBC connection settings and everthing is fine. Is there anything else
>> > that
>> > you can think of?Could there be something within SQL that is causing
>> > the
>> > problem?
>> >
>> > Please help!

0
victoria (3340)
9/13/2007 5:35:05 PM
I tried this and it work temporarily. I can log in as sa everywhere without a
problem. I also have a promlem with a terminal server user getting an unknown
dictionary error.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Are you able to log into GP on the Terminal Server as 'sa'?  If so, can you
> try recreating one of the users that's having a problem while logged in on
> the TS as 'sa' to see if that works?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No it is not all GP users just the terminal server users. Nothing has
> > changed
> > except the verion 8 to version 9 upgrade. Everyone locally in my office is
> > fine. But also if I lauch GP locally and try to use one of the remote user
> > IDs I get the same error.
> >
> > "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is it all GP users that are getting this error?  Or just some users?  Is
> >> it
> >> only users on the Terminal Server?  Sorry, it's just not very clear from
> >> your posts, and the troubleshooting would be different depending on the
> >> answers.
> >>
> >> Was anything changed as far as the server, or network setup recently?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Victoria Yudin
> >> Dynamics GP MVP
> >> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
> >>

> >> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/13/2007 6:06:09 PM
So if you log into GP on the TS and create a GP user, that user can now log
into GP on the TS?  What does 'it work temporarily' mean?

Does everyone on the TS get the unknown dictionary error?  Or just one user?
What is the exact error?  When does it happen?

I am sorry, but you have to be a LOT more detailed and specific with this
kind of stuff, otherwise it's impossible to help.

--

>I tried this and it work temporarily. I can log in as sa everywhere without
> problem. I also have a promlem with a terminal server user getting an
> unknown
> dictionary error.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you able to log into GP on the Terminal Server as 'sa'?  If so, can
>> you
>> try recreating one of the users that's having a problem while logged in
>> on
>> the TS as 'sa' to see if that works?
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>>

>> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No it is not all GP users just the terminal server users. Nothing has
>> > changed
>> > except the verion 8 to version 9 upgrade. Everyone locally in my office
>> > is
>> > fine. But also if I lauch GP locally and try to use one of the remote
>> > user
>> > IDs I get the same error.

0
victoria (3340)
9/13/2007 6:34:25 PM
Yes I create a new user in GP and then they can log in, for a while; then
maybe a week or two the same thing happens. "Login failed. Please try again
or contact your systems administrator". I have done this two times for the
same user and once for the others. (total of three TS GP users) But only the
terminal server users. I can login with my credentials on the TS and it goes
right in. I can not user the TS GP logins anywhere even locally on a
workstation, I get the same error.

As far as the dictionary error; the error I get is very vague it simply says
"unknown dictionary error" right after launching the program, I can not even
get to the login screen. I hit ok and the app closes.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> So if you log into GP on the TS and create a GP user, that user can now log
> into GP on the TS?  What does 'it work temporarily' mean?
>
> Does everyone on the TS get the unknown dictionary error?  Or just one user?
> What is the exact error?  When does it happen?
>
> I am sorry, but you have to be a LOT more detailed and specific with this
> kind of stuff, otherwise it's impossible to help.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried this and it work temporarily. I can log in as sa everywhere without
> > problem. I also have a promlem with a terminal server user getting an
> > unknown
> > dictionary error.
> >
> > "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you able to log into GP on the Terminal Server as 'sa'?  If so, can
> >> you
> >> try recreating one of the users that's having a problem while logged in
> >> on
> >> the TS as 'sa' to see if that works?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Victoria Yudin
> >> Dynamics GP MVP
> >> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
> >>

> >> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/13/2007 7:06:01 PM
I suspect the login issue is being caused by the server name being different
on the TS vs. the workstations.  Take a look at Patrick's post under
'Creating new users in Version 10' dated 9/12/07 for a more detailed
explanation.  Is that the case, is the server name different in the ODBC
connections?

As for the dictionary error, since this is before you get to the GP login
screen, most likely it's a Windows permissions issue or tied to Windows
users.  Are you using roaming profiles on the TS?  We've seen that cause
similar issues.  Is this only happening for a particular Windows user?  Or
all Windows users?

--

> Yes I create a new user in GP and then they can log in, for a while; then
> maybe a week or two the same thing happens. "Login failed. Please try
> again
> or contact your systems administrator". I have done this two times for the
> same user and once for the others. (total of three TS GP users) But only
> the
> terminal server users. I can login with my credentials on the TS and it
> goes
> right in. I can not user the TS GP logins anywhere even locally on a
> workstation, I get the same error.
>
> As far as the dictionary error; the error I get is very vague it simply
> says
> "unknown dictionary error" right after launching the program, I can not
> even
> get to the login screen. I hit ok and the app closes.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> So if you log into GP on the TS and create a GP user, that user can now
>> log
>> into GP on the TS?  What does 'it work temporarily' mean?
>>
>> Does everyone on the TS get the unknown dictionary error?  Or just one
>> user?
>> What is the exact error?  When does it happen?
>>
>> I am sorry, but you have to be a LOT more detailed and specific with this
>> kind of stuff, otherwise it's impossible to help.
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>>

>> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried this and it work temporarily. I can log in as sa everywhere
>> >without
>> > problem. I also have a promlem with a terminal server user getting an
>> > unknown
>> > dictionary error.

0
victoria (3340)
9/13/2007 7:25:51 PM
The server name is exactly the same all around. I originally thought this was
the issue, but no such luck.

The dictionary error is happening to only one user and she has the same
permissions as everyone else. No I am not using roaming profiles, just your
standard everyday local profile.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> I suspect the login issue is being caused by the server name being different
> on the TS vs. the workstations.  Take a look at Patrick's post under
> 'Creating new users in Version 10' dated 9/12/07 for a more detailed
> explanation.  Is that the case, is the server name different in the ODBC
> connections?
>
> As for the dictionary error, since this is before you get to the GP login
> screen, most likely it's a Windows permissions issue or tied to Windows
> users.  Are you using roaming profiles on the TS?  We've seen that cause
> similar issues.  Is this only happening for a particular Windows user?  Or
> all Windows users?
>

> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>

> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I create a new user in GP and then they can log in, for a while; then
> > maybe a week or two the same thing happens. "Login failed. Please try
> > again
> > or contact your systems administrator". I have done this two times for the
> > same user and once for the others. (total of three TS GP users) But only
> > the
> > terminal server users. I can login with my credentials on the TS and it
> > goes
> > right in. I can not user the TS GP logins anywhere even locally on a
> > workstation, I get the same error.
> >
> > As far as the dictionary error; the error I get is very vague it simply
> > says
> > "unknown dictionary error" right after launching the program, I can not
> > even
> > get to the login screen. I hit ok and the app closes.
> >
> > "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> So if you log into GP on the TS and create a GP user, that user can now
> >> log
> >> into GP on the TS?  What does 'it work temporarily' mean?
> >>
> >> Does everyone on the TS get the unknown dictionary error?  Or just one
> >> user?
> >> What is the exact error?  When does it happen?
> >>
> >> I am sorry, but you have to be a LOT more detailed and specific with this
> >> kind of stuff, otherwise it's impossible to help.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Victoria Yudin
> >> Dynamics GP MVP
> >> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
> >>

> >> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
GPHelpPLZ (8)
9/13/2007 7:42:02 PM
There is definitely some kind of connectivity or permissions issue going on.
Unfortunately, at this point, I think you're going to have to start a
support incident and get them to look at the TS together with you to figure
this one out.

--

> The server name is exactly the same all around. I originally thought this
> was
> the issue, but no such luck.
>
> The dictionary error is happening to only one user and she has the same
> permissions as everyone else. No I am not using roaming profiles, just
> your
> standard everyday local profile.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I suspect the login issue is being caused by the server name being
>> different
>> on the TS vs. the workstations.  Take a look at Patrick's post under
>> 'Creating new users in Version 10' dated 9/12/07 for a more detailed
>> explanation.  Is that the case, is the server name different in the ODBC
>> connections?
>>
>> As for the dictionary error, since this is before you get to the GP login
>> screen, most likely it's a Windows permissions issue or tied to Windows
>> users.  Are you using roaming profiles on the TS?  We've seen that cause
>> similar issues.  Is this only happening for a particular Windows user?
>> Or
>> all Windows users?
>>

>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> Dynamics GP MVP
>> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>>

>> "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes I create a new user in GP and then they can log in, for a while;
>> > then
>> > maybe a week or two the same thing happens. "Login failed. Please try
>> > again
>> > or contact your systems administrator". I have done this two times for
>> > the
>> > same user and once for the others. (total of three TS GP users) But
>> > only
>> > the
>> > terminal server users. I can login with my credentials on the TS and it
>> > goes
>> > right in. I can not user the TS GP logins anywhere even locally on a
>> > workstation, I get the same error.
>> >
>> > As far as the dictionary error; the error I get is very vague it simply
>> > says
>> > "unknown dictionary error" right after launching the program, I can not
>> > even
>> > get to the login screen. I hit ok and the app closes.

0
victoria (3340)
9/13/2007 8:13:35 PM
Great Plains 9 seems to be enforcing encryption of the password for all users
except
sa.  Even Dynsa user had to change password at my site following upgrade as
some users had encrypted passwords and some did not.  Now every one excepting
sa has an encrypted password.  This may cause customizations to fail as SQL
server authentication is expecting the encrypted password regardless of the
channel (software interface used) into the database.  So you may want to use
windows authentication for customizations and grant users enough rights for
the customizations DB usage and no more.

As far as the dictionary problem I would guess you have a path wrong in the
Dynamics.set file or a customization expecting an old version 8 path or an
old version 8 path being referenced by a visual basic reference.  You should
look at all references for your customizations and make sure nothing is
looking back to an old library.  Also make sure that Dynamics.set is not
pathed to any version 8 dictionaries.

Good luck to you!

"GPHelpPLZ" wrote:

> The server name is exactly the same all around. I originally thought this was
> the issue, but no such luck.
>
> The dictionary error is happening to only one user and she has the same
> permissions as everyone else. No I am not using roaming profiles, just your
> standard everyday local profile.
>
> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > I suspect the login issue is being caused by the server name being different
> > on the TS vs. the workstations.  Take a look at Patrick's post under
> > 'Creating new users in Version 10' dated 9/12/07 for a more detailed
> > explanation.  Is that the case, is the server name different in the ODBC
> > connections?
> >
> > As for the dictionary error, since this is before you get to the GP login
> > screen, most likely it's a Windows permissions issue or tied to Windows
> > users.  Are you using roaming profiles on the TS?  We've seen that cause
> > similar issues.  Is this only happening for a particular Windows user?  Or
> > all Windows users?
> >

> > --
> > Victoria Yudin
> > Dynamics GP MVP
> > Flexible Solutions, Inc.
> >

> > "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes I create a new user in GP and then they can log in, for a while; then
> > > maybe a week or two the same thing happens. "Login failed. Please try
> > > again
> > > or contact your systems administrator". I have done this two times for the
> > > same user and once for the others. (total of three TS GP users) But only
> > > the
> > > terminal server users. I can login with my credentials on the TS and it
> > > goes
> > > right in. I can not user the TS GP logins anywhere even locally on a
> > > workstation, I get the same error.
> > >
> > > As far as the dictionary error; the error I get is very vague it simply
> > > says
> > > "unknown dictionary error" right after launching the program, I can not
> > > even
> > > get to the login screen. I hit ok and the app closes.

We have installed a new Citrix server. When I have my users log on, the
password does not work. I reset the password and they work fine. However, if
they need to log on to any other server or a local machine their password
will not work at the other locations.

Thanks.
Brenda Haynes

8/16/2007 11:22:00 AM PDT -- Bryan Page
Hello Brenda,

Thank you for using eSupport. My name is Bryan and I will be assisting you
with your support request today.

SCOPE:
==============
To resolve the inability to log into all machines using the same
username/password

ENVIRONMENT:
==============
Dynamics GP 9.0
SQL Server 2000
Windows Server 2003

ASSESSMENT:
==============
I understand that you have installed a new Citrix Server.  When you have
your users attempt to log on, their login information failed.  You can reset
their password at that terminal server and they are able to log in, but they
are unable to log in at any other machine.

You did not provide the error message that they receive when their login
fails, but I assume that it is the message: This login failed. Attempt to log
in again or contact your system administrator.  Is that correct?

Typically this problem is an ODBC setup problem. Dynamics GP 9.0 uses the
server name while encrypting the password. If the SQL Server name is not set
up exactly the same on the Terminal Server as it is on the other
workstations, the password will not be accepted.

There is a Knowledge Based (KB) article written on this topic. KB# 919345. I
would like to have you work through this article an attempt the resolution
steps to see if this resolves your problem. I believe that Cause1/Resolution1
is the problem that you are experiencing.

Error message when you try to log on to Microsoft Dynamics GP: "This login
failed. Attempt to log in again or contact your system administrator"

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;919345

ACTION PLAN:
==============
Please review the information listed above. If you have any additional
questions, please let me know.

I will leave this case open through 08/20/2007; however you can reopen the
case anytime within 30 days for any follow up questions regarding this issue.
 After the case closes, you may receive a survey in regards to my performance
on this incident. Any feedback on my performance would be greatly
appreciated. If you have any questions or feedback for us regarding this
issue, or any previous issue you have had with Microsoft, please feel free to
contact my Manager Mitch Bricker at v-mitbri@microsoft.com or at 701-492-3625.

Thank you,

Bryan Page
Technical Support Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics GP Support
8/17/2007 8:33:00 AM PDT -- Brenda
Bryan:

Good morning. I reviewed KB# 919345. The difference in this server was that
the IP address of the server was used in the ODBC instead of the server name.
For example: DYN9-2003 was the server name used on all ODBCs except for that
one server. This appeared to fix the problem. The user I tested with could
then log on to two different servers without having to reset the password.

However, this morning all users on that server could no longer log on. I had
to reset every user's password.

Thanks.
Brenda
8/17/2007 9:19:00 AM PDT -- Christopher Flitton Hello Brenda,

My name is Christopher Flitton and I will be assisting you with your ongoing
case (#8971159 ) as Bryan is currently unavailable.

I am glad to hear that Bryan was able to resolve the issue regarding logins
for you by having you recreate the ODBC connection.

About you having to reset every user’s password, this can happen when the
ODBC in recreated. If the new ODBC uses a different server name or you use
the IP, it can cause a break in the encryption. This would then cause you to
have to reset every user’s password in order to get them to login to GP. This
should just be a one-time issue of for you.

It sounds like everything else is working now for you, and I am very pleased
to hear that. I will forward this information on to Bryan, and if you have
any other questions or concerns, he will get back to you.

Thanks for using Microsoft Dynamics and have a great day!

Regards,
Christopher Flitton
Microsoft Dynamics GP Support
Support Engineer

"itsmyfuntime" wrote:

> Great Plains 9 seems to be enforcing encryption of the password for all users
> except
> sa.  Even Dynsa user had to change password at my site following upgrade as
> some users had encrypted passwords and some did not.  Now every one excepting
> sa has an encrypted password.  This may cause customizations to fail as SQL
> server authentication is expecting the encrypted password regardless of the
> channel (software interface used) into the database.  So you may want to use
> windows authentication for customizations and grant users enough rights for
> the customizations DB usage and no more.
>
> As far as the dictionary problem I would guess you have a path wrong in the
> Dynamics.set file or a customization expecting an old version 8 path or an
> old version 8 path being referenced by a visual basic reference.  You should
> look at all references for your customizations and make sure nothing is
> looking back to an old library.  Also make sure that Dynamics.set is not
> pathed to any version 8 dictionaries.
>
> Good luck to you!
>
> "GPHelpPLZ" wrote:
>
> > The server name is exactly the same all around. I originally thought this was
> > the issue, but no such luck.
> >
> > The dictionary error is happening to only one user and she has the same
> > permissions as everyone else. No I am not using roaming profiles, just your
> > standard everyday local profile.
> >
> > "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > I suspect the login issue is being caused by the server name being different
> > > on the TS vs. the workstations.  Take a look at Patrick's post under
> > > 'Creating new users in Version 10' dated 9/12/07 for a more detailed
> > > explanation.  Is that the case, is the server name different in the ODBC
> > > connections?
> > >
> > > As for the dictionary error, since this is before you get to the GP login
> > > screen, most likely it's a Windows permissions issue or tied to Windows
> > > users.  Are you using roaming profiles on the TS?  We've seen that cause
> > > similar issues.  Is this only happening for a particular Windows user?  Or
> > > all Windows users?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Victoria Yudin
> > > Dynamics GP MVP
> > > Flexible Solutions, Inc.
> > >

> > > "GPHelpPLZ" <GPHelpPLZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
brhayn (3)

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Help Desk Module for CRM 4.0
Is there a help desk module for IT service management that the end users and the IT department with CRM 4.0 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=624233e3-6ef9-44...

win CE 6.0 build error
Im running MIPSII CPU on Win CE 6.0 everything was well on building BSP until I updated R3 and several QFE for Win CE 6.0 from Jan --> Aug 2009. sysgen ERROR is the one I get - it fails within a minute of SYSGEN or clean SYSGEN the folliwing is what I get from build.log at \WINCE600\ -------------------- icrosoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 8.00.50727.42 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -nodefaultlib -include:DllMain -entry:_DllMainCRTStartup -pdb:C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\build_test\build_test\Wince600\simuMIPSII_MIPSII\cesysgen\oak\target\MIPSI...

Money 3.0 XP and Networking Query
Hi, I have a client who is using money 3 for personal purposes for keeping track of shares and dividends and such. I realise Money 3 is very old (looks like it was for windows 3.1!) but he does not wish to upgrade to a newer version of money which is more complicated and has many features which he will never use. My questions are: 1] Will money 3 work reliably in XP? 2] Has anyone tried using money 3 over a network? i.e. sharing the file and using it on different computers (it would not have to be at the same time).? Otherwise, can you suggest a program that can deal with buying/se...

Convert Access 2.0 to Access 2000
I need to convert an Access 2.0 database running in Windows 3.95 on one computer to Access 2000 in Windows 98 on another computer on our network. I don't even know where to start. Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That is an option for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. > Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate > conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That Yes, some things will break in converting from 2.0 to 97, and you can fix them before converting from 97 to...

Upgrading the CPU?

0 values in pivot tables
Hello everyone, I have a pivot table and I have a field that calculates the average of scores for certain people according to the number of records that they correctly created in a database. The score is determined by the number of records created correctly divided by the total number of records. In some cases, some people have not created any records. It is grouped like this on the list : Sales Manager Sales Rep Score John Jim 50% John Andy 60% John James 70% John Peter ...

#DIV/0! error
Dear All I am sure this problem I have can be easily resolved however, I have tried all the online help without success. I want to work out the percentage of two numbers however, to be able include zeros as part of the template. Example C1/B1=D1 as a percentage. Obviously when zero's are entered into the cells it generates the '#DIV/0!'. I have tried entering '=IF(C1=0,"",C1/B1) but it still comes back with the error. Additionally, can you write a conditional format that changes what is displayed when you get an error message? IE. =IF(D1=#DIV/0!,"100"...

8.0 Upgrade

Contarct in GP 10
Hi, In which Module in GP 10, I can create a contract for a customer and generate a monthly invoice Thanks Hi Alaa, I think you can do this with the Field Service module. Kind regards, Leslie "Alaa Ramadan" wrote: > Hi, > In which Module in GP 10, I can create a contract for a customer and > generate a monthly invoice > > Thanks > Deferrals Module might help. -- Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 mohdaoud@gmail.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "Alaa Rama...

Works 4.0(wks) needs to be converted to Excel 2003
I saw some posts on here about similarites and one even linked to a converter that works but adds garbage to the file unles you buy the full version. Basicaly I just migrated a NT 4 workstation with Works 4.0 on it to a new XP machine with Office 2003. We found a converter for the Works documents but have had no real luck with the wks or Works spreadsheet files. The rlsoftware converter adds advertising of sorts inside of cells and can't be easily replaced. Is there anything out there that works? Find someone with works and ask them to save your files in a format that excel can o...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

XP Upgrade

How to get TWO installed with GP 8.0?
The "create sample data" or similar option is no longer available in GP Utils 8.0. How do I load this database? Thanks, Morgan Are you running it from the server? Morgan wrote: > The "create sample data" or similar option is no longer available in GP > Utils 8.0. How do I load this database? > > Thanks, > > Morgan > > Yes. Is a clean install of 8.0, not an upgrade. The option to create TWO isn't in the Utils.. kinda odd. "Robert Yount" <ryount-remove-@prov.com> wrote in message news:%23Ve9Kl84EHA.3388@TK2MSFTNGP...

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Ctrl+C (copy) doesn't work within GP
I have a user that when using Ctrl+C to copy in GP 9 doesn't work. You can go to edit>>copy and it will, but the hotkey/shortcut doesn't work. In other programs such as Word it works fine. In a test the machine was able to copy info from Word and Paste into GP by using the hotkeys, but another attempt to copy/paste within GP it failed to copy and just pasted what was previously copied from Word. Any ideas? I have run into this a few times but my issue was that if you try to paste some text into a field in GP that is more than the maximum allowed, then it just does not...

Remove voids in GP Safepay before submission to the bank
Numerous customers request this functionality to be able to process a Safepay file that excludes Voids. Please add this functionality ASAP to either "remove voids" or "Exclude voids" prior to the creation of the Safepay file. Thank you. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click...

Upgrade? or not to upgrade.
I accepted the invitation to try office 2010. Upon installation, outlook 2007 quit working. Since that is the only critical piece i need out of office, and all my emails etch i desperately need are on there, I uninstalled. Now I get no out look. I get the error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I am really kicking myself, I knew i shouldn't have done the upgrade trial. I am bordering on hysteria here. Can anyone help? Tried to open in compatibility mode xp but no go same error. Outlook now does not appear in the start ...

downloading Office 2007 Professional didn't upgrade my outlook 20.
I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then converted to my own. I also have Office 2000 still on my computer. How do I get outlook to upgrade from 2000 to 2007? The trial version of Outlook will not install if any other version of Outlook is installed What does "converted to my own" mean? "rmeadie" <rmeadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A302D5A5-12EA-4C56-8944-53FAD9A7A0C1@microsoft.com... >I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then > converted to my own. I also have Office ...

Does CRM 4.0 handle Partner management?
We are a software shop and we are currently using CRM 3.0, with the expectation to upgrade to 4.0 in the very near future. One of our newest directives is to manage our partners, and their accounts using CRM and we are wondering if 4.0 will be better at managing this? I realize this is kind of vague, but its something that the sales staff is asking of me. Microsoft released a CRM accelerator for Partner Management in October. take a look at it here: http://crmaccelerators.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=29990 Hello Rodney, You could be interested in our CRM @Comme...

Upgrade to 8.0/Upgrade FRX
When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over the 7.5 client or uninstalling 8.0 fresh? How about FRX? (6.5 to 6.7) Thanks, Annalisa I like to keep the GP installation clean but I've had success installing over the existing client. Just make sure you export all modified reports and forms to package files. For FRx, it will give you options during the installation process. I would keep the existing version and install in a new directory. "afollo" wrote: > When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over > ...

GP 8.0 new customer
Our company purchased GP 8.0 and we are having difficulty with the amount of time it takes to reconcile the daily cash receipt. Does anyone do approximately 1500 to 2000 invoices in one month - varied $ amountf from as little as 3.49 to more than 2500. When we post a batch it gives us numerous pages of "cash sales" that we have to deposit. It just seems to be time consuming and we would like to streamline this process. Any suggestions? Hi Ann- With a little more information I think I can help with your issue. Please feel free to call me at 407-660-0059 x 109 if you would li...

Office 2004 Upgrade from Office 98 Macintosh Edition Upgrade
I am looking into purchasing the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition Upgrade - and would like some clarification on my eligibility (along with the installation procedure)... 1. Could you confirm whether I am eligible for the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition Upgrade as a registered user of Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition Upgrade (as the literature on the Microsoft website does not specifically mention the Office 98 Upgrade version)? 2. I am intending to install Microsoft Office 2004 on Mac OS x 10.4 Tiger. However I do not have Mac OS 9.2 [Classic] installed - m...