Upgrade 9 to 10 only work if update instance, not if new instance

I'm testing a GP 9 to 10 upgraded on a test server. Everything
installs; however, GP Utilities will bomb out if I created a new
instance when installing 10. There is no error message, it just fails.
If I do an update to the 9 instance, it works fine. Why should this
make any difference? It's the only thing I'm changing in the two
installs.

Thanks
0
glasseigne (74)

Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"?

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:

> I'm testing a GP 9 to 10 upgraded on a test server. Everything
> installs; however, GP Utilities will bomb out if I created a new
> instance when installing 10. There is no error message, it just fails.
> If I do an update to the 9 instance, it works fine. Why should this
> make any difference? It's the only thing I'm changing in the two
> installs.
>
> Thanks

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
6/15/2009 3:26:02 PM
When you install GP 10 it asks if you want to upgrade V 9 to 10 or
install a new instance (i.e. install into a new folder and leave V 9).
Does that help?

On Jun 15, 10:26=A0am, Mariano Gomez
<MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
>

> "TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:
> > I'm testing a GP 9 to 10 upgraded on a test server. Everything
> > installs; however, GP Utilities will bomb out if I created a new
> > instance when installing 10. There is no error message, it just fails.
> > If I do an update to the 9 instance, it works fine. Why should this
> > make any difference? It's the only thing I'm changing in the two
> > installs.
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

glasseigne (74)
6/15/2009 5:32:02 PM
Yes, You can do that way. You can have two instances on one computer provided
you setup the system and company databases on two seperate SQL named
instances.

Thanks
Janakiram M.P.
MCP-GP

"TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:

> When you install GP 10 it asks if you want to upgrade V 9 to 10 or
> install a new instance (i.e. install into a new folder and leave V 9).
> Does that help?
>
> On Jun 15, 10:26 am, Mariano Gomez
> <MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
> >

> > "TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:
> > > I'm testing a GP 9 to 10 upgraded on a test server. Everything
> > > installs; however, GP Utilities will bomb out if I created a new
> > > instance when installing 10. There is no error message, it just fails.
> > > If I do an update to the 9 instance, it works fine. Why should this
> > > make any difference? It's the only thing I'm changing in the two
> > > installs.
> >
> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

janakirammp (688)
6/15/2009 6:18:11 PM
Now we are getting somewhere. Now that I understand that you are trying to
install Dynamics GP in a separate client instance, not pn a separate SQL
Server instance, let's move on to the next issue. When you are creating a
separate instance of GP, you said Utilities bombs out and that there is no
error, just a failure. Could you specify exactly what happens during the
process? Where does it fail? How are you setting up the ODBC for this new
instance?

May I also ask, why not use the upgrade option? This will allow 10.0 to
create a backup of your 9.0 dictionaries to be able to upgrade forms and
reports dictionaries if available.

Best regards,
--

"Janakiram M.P." wrote:

> Yes, You can do that way. You can have two instances on one computer provided
> you setup the system and company databases on two seperate SQL named
> instances.
>
> Thanks
> Janakiram M.P.
> MCP-GP
>
> "TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:
>
> > When you install GP 10 it asks if you want to upgrade V 9 to 10 or
> > install a new instance (i.e. install into a new folder and leave V 9).
> > Does that help?
> >
> > On Jun 15, 10:26 am, Mariano Gomez
> > <MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

MarianoGomez (3440)
6/15/2009 6:56:06 PM
Yes, I know you can install it that way. I've done both; however, if I
create a new instance (and I do not mean database instance, I mean
program install instance, new folder), the GP Utilities Upgrade will
not upgrade the companies.

On Jun 15, 1:18=A0pm, Janakiram M.P. <janakira...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, You can do that way. You can have two instances on one computer prov=
ided
> you setup the system and company databases on two seperate SQL named
> instances.
>
> Thanks
> Janakiram M.P.
> MCP-GP
>

> "TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:
> > When you install GP 10 it asks if you want to upgrade V 9 to 10 or
> > install a new instance (i.e. install into a new folder and leave V 9).
> > Does that help?
>
> > On Jun 15, 10:26 am, Mariano Gomez
> > <MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "instance"?
>
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > MG.-
> > > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > > Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com

glasseigne (74)
6/15/2009 6:58:26 PM
On the failure, I'm not sure how to describe it. The Dynamics database
converts, then I select a company. It runs for a bit with the long
check list of things to do, then it spawns a new window about half way
through the check list, then says the update failed. There is no error
message. I've turned on SQL logging and see nothing there. I'm using
the same ODBC driver I was for 9 in both cases.

The biggest reason not to do the upgrade may sounds a bit silly, but
our VAR decided to put 9 in a folder called GP90, so it would be odd
to have V 10 in a folder called GP90. Regardless, why wouldn't both
installation options work the same way? Cannot I still upgrade my
forms and reports from a new instance using GP Utilities?

On Jun 15, 1:56=A0pm, Mariano Gomez
<MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Now we are getting somewhere. Now that I understand that you are trying t=
> install Dynamics GP in a separate client instance, not pn a separate SQL
> Server instance, let's move on to the next issue. When you are creating a
> separate instance of GP, you said Utilities bombs out and that there is n=
> error, just a failure. Could you specify exactly what happens during the
> process? Where does it fail? How are you setting up the ODBC for this new
> instance?
>
> May I also ask, why not use the upgrade option? This will allow 10.0 to
> create a backup of your 9.0 dictionaries to be able to upgrade forms and
> reports dictionaries if available.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
>

> "Janakiram M.P." wrote:
> > Yes, You can do that way. You can have two instances on one computer pr=
ovided
> > you setup the system and company databases on two seperate SQL named
> > instances.
>
> > Thanks
> > Janakiram M.P.
> > MCP-GP
>
> > "TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:
>
> > > When you install GP 10 it asks if you want to upgrade V 9 to 10 or
> > > install a new instance (i.e. install into a new folder and leave V 9)=
..
> > > Does that help?

glasseigne (74)
6/15/2009 7:40:36 PM
A few things:

1) Check your ODBC connection for your new instance. I will assume you are
upgrading GP on a SQL Server 2005 machine. Please confirm.

2) Enable DEXSQL.LOG in the DEX.INI. This will help us identify any
potential problem with missing/invalid tables and/or stored procedures.

3) Have you verify that DYNSA is the owner of all your Dynamics GP SQL
Server databases (DYNAMICS and company databases). Upgrades will fail if this
is not the case, if even for a company database.

Now that you have identified that the upgrade fails during the "long
checklist", what specific step fails?

Best regards,
--

"TooMuchFun4Me" wrote:

> On the failure, I'm not sure how to describe it. The Dynamics database
> converts, then I select a company. It runs for a bit with the long
> check list of things to do, then it spawns a new window about half way
> through the check list, then says the update failed. There is no error
> message. I've turned on SQL logging and see nothing there. I'm using
> the same ODBC driver I was for 9 in both cases.
>
> The biggest reason not to do the upgrade may sounds a bit silly, but
> our VAR decided to put 9 in a folder called GP90, so it would be odd
> to have V 10 in a folder called GP90. Regardless, why wouldn't both
> installation options work the same way? Cannot I still upgrade my
> forms and reports from a new instance using GP Utilities?
>
> On Jun 15, 1:56 pm, Mariano Gomez
> <MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Now we are getting somewhere. Now that I understand that you are trying to
> > install Dynamics GP in a separate client instance, not pn a separate SQL
> > Server instance, let's move on to the next issue. When you are creating a
> > separate instance of GP, you said Utilities bombs out and that there is no
> > error, just a failure. Could you specify exactly what happens during the
> > process? Where does it fail? How are you setting up the ODBC for this new
> > instance?
> >
> > May I also ask, why not use the upgrade option? This will allow 10.0 to
> > create a backup of your 9.0 dictionaries to be able to upgrade forms and
> > reports dictionaries if available.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > MG.-
> > Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> > Maximum Global Business, LLChttp://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
> > The Dynamics GP Blogster athttp://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com
> >

> > "Janakiram M.P." wrote:
> > > Yes, You can do that way. You can have two instances on one computer provided
> > > you setup the system and company databases on two seperate SQL named
> > > instances.
> >
> > > Thanks
> > > Janakiram M.P.
> > > MCP-GP

MarianoGomez (3440)
6/15/2009 9:59:02 PM
1.) No, I'm using SQL 2000. The connection is fine since the Dynamics
updates goes well. It's not until I try to convert a copmany that I
have a problem.

2.) It fails updating the company tables. When I highlight the failed
company and click details, it is blank. Nothing listed.
Here are the last few lines of the duinstall.log
Dynamics\GP10\SQL\4612\Upgrade.dll,UPGRADE_9_0_2_COMPANY_PRELOAD
\TABLELOAD_CMP
Message encountered ON 6/16/2009 at 9:13:12 AM.  Message:  D:
\Microsoft Dynamics\GP10\SQL
\5597\Upgrade.dll,UPGRADE_9_0_15_COMPANY_PRELOAD\TABLELOAD_CMP
Component Start : 6/16/2009 at 9:13:28 AM -- Convert Company Data
Component End   : 6/16/2009 at 9:18:35 AM -- Convert Company Data

Here are the last few lines of the dexsql.log

/*  Date: 06/16/2009  Time: 9:18:42
stmt(20397880):*/
{CALL DYNAMICS.dbo.zDP_DU000030F_2(1,5597,1,5597)}

/*  Date: 06/16/2009  Time: 9:18:42
stmt(20343984):*/
SELECT TOP 25
PRODID,fileNumber,fileName,fileOSName,versionMajor,versionMinor,versionBuil=
d,conversionScript,ACTION1,priorityLevel,CODENAME,DEX_ROW_ID
FROM DYNAMICS.dbo.DU000010 WHERE ((PRODID =3D 5597 AND versionMajor =3D 9
AND versionMinor =3D 0 AND versionBuild =3D 16 AND priorityLevel >=3D 2) OR
(PRODID =3D 5597 AND versionMajor =3D 9 AND versionMinor =3D 0 AND
versionBuild > 16) OR (PRODID =3D 5597 AND versionMajor =3D 9 AND
versionMinor > 0) OR (PRODID =3D 5597 AND versionMajor > 9) OR (PRODID >
5597)) AND ((PRODID =3D 5597 AND versionMajor =3D 10 AND versionMinor =3D 0
AND versionBuild =3D 1296 AND priorityLevel <=3D 100) OR (PRODID =3D 5597
AND versionMajor =3D 10 AND versionMinor =3D 0 AND versionBuild < 1296) OR
(PRODID =3D 5597 AND versionMajor =3D 10 AND versionMinor < 0) OR (PRODID
=3D 5597 AND versionMajor < 10) OR (PRODID < 5597)) ORDER BY PRODID
ASC ,versionMajor ASC ,versionMinor ASC ,versionBuild
ASC ,priorityLevel ASC ,DEX_ROW_ID ASC

/*  Date: 06/16/2009  Time: 9:18:42
stmt(20397880):*/
{ CALL DYNAMICS.dbo.zDP_DU000030SS_3 ( 5597, 1, 1 ) }

/*  Date: 06/16/2009  Time: 9:18:42
stmt(20343984):*/
{ CALL DYNAMICS.dbo.zDP_DU000010SS_1 ( 5597, 1 ) }

3.) Yes, DYNSA is the owner of all the databases.

I cannot identify where in the long checklist if fails since that
window disappears when the Update Compnay Tables window appears. Also,
cannot say which step in it fails since it just flashes of the to
faild window and does not leave the other one open.

On Jun 15, 4:59=A0pm, Mariano Gomez
> [...]
> > <MarianoGo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Now we are getting somewhere. Now that I understand that you are tryi=
ng to
> > > install Dynamics GP in a separate client instance, not pn a separate =
SQL
> > > Server instance, let's move on to the next issue. When you are creati=
ng a
> > > separate instance of GP, you said Utilities bombs out and that there =
is no
> > > error, just a failure. Could you specify exactly what happens during =
the
> > > process? Where does it fail? How are you setting up the ODBC for this=
 new
> > > instance?
>
> > > May I also ask, why not use the upgrade option? This will allow 10.0 =
> > > create a backup of your 9.0 dictionaries to be able to upgrade forms =

glasseigne (74)

Meeting Updates after applying Exchange Time Zone Tool
How do appointment updates work when applying the client os dst and the exchange timezone tool? I have read the meeting updates are sent after the exchange tool runs. Does Outlook sends meeting updates to the other recipients even if both host/attendee are in the same Exchange site and both clients have been updated with the dst update? In this scenario, it seems like there isn't anything that needs to be updated. On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:41:05 -0800, Davidi <Davidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do appointment updates work when applying the client os dst and the...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Upgrading the CPU?

Bar Chart #9
I have a spreadsheet like below and I want to make separate (but the same format) bar charts for each week The top-left cell starts at cell A1 (The numbers below are hours) This is a spreadsheet to log the amount of hours lost in the department and the reason why productivity was delayed for that time. Date Server Printer Temperature Network Data Control 4/28/08 4 4/29/08 5 4/30/08 5/1/08 1 5/2/08 3 Totals 4 8 1 5/4/...

Formula limit work around?
I have a user who is using a formula which has reached the 1024 limit. Can this formula be split up into two cells? Or can I use VBA to re-engineer the formula? Any formulas in VBA would be appreciated or any other suggested work arounds. Jeff We would need to see the formula. Biff "Jeff" <robinsjt@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:u%23WoLqaHHHA.1816@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have a user who is using a formula which has reached the 1024 limit. Can >this formula be split up into two cells? Or can I use VBA to re-engineer >the formula? > > Any for...

Old Email keeps coming in as new????
old email that i recieved in may/june keeps showing up in my inbox in outlook 2003. It is a POP account that is set to delete email from server. I check my ISP and there is no email then randomly i do a send and recieve and BANG! 49 old emails show up.... Any ideas Thanks ...

8.0 Upgrade

Contarct in GP 10
Hi, In which Module in GP 10, I can create a contract for a customer and generate a monthly invoice Thanks Hi Alaa, I think you can do this with the Field Service module. Kind regards, Leslie "Alaa Ramadan" wrote: > Hi, > In which Module in GP 10, I can create a contract for a customer and > generate a monthly invoice > > Thanks > Deferrals Module might help. -- Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 mohdaoud@gmail.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "Alaa Rama...

Works 4.0(wks) needs to be converted to Excel 2003
I saw some posts on here about similarites and one even linked to a converter that works but adds garbage to the file unles you buy the full version. Basicaly I just migrated a NT 4 workstation with Works 4.0 on it to a new XP machine with Office 2003. We found a converter for the Works documents but have had no real luck with the wks or Works spreadsheet files. The rlsoftware converter adds advertising of sorts inside of cells and can't be easily replaced. Is there anything out there that works? Find someone with works and ask them to save your files in a format that excel can o...

Inport of Microsoft Works Spreadsheets
My old computer has died. All of my spreadsheets are backed up, and are in Works 2000 format. I upgraded to Excell 2003 with my new computer to increase functionablilty. But Excell 2003 does not seem to be able to read my wks spreadsheets. Microsoft recommends opening these files in Works, and saving to another format. Tough to do when the previous computer has died. Also, is Works 2000 in wks 2, wks 3, or wks 4 format? Suggestions? Hi Perry, Do you not have your microsoft works disc that came with the computer? If so, install it then save your files in excel format. -- keithl...

Working with multiple namespaces
Hi Everyone I was wondering if anyone knew of a good guide to working with multiple namespaces under .NET? And also help me with my latest poser. As you may have calculated by my other posts, I am working under a lot of new technologies that I didn't realise I would be when I took the job - so I am on a steep learning curve (too steep at times!!! lol). Very basically, I want to be able to do some XPath on XML I am getting back from a web-service, and I have worked out that I need to apply my DTDs because there is an xmlns attribute in my root element. <Root Target="test" ...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Unable to access exchange server with entourage (however other methods do work)
When I try to connect to our exchange server with entourage, all i get is the following message: Error -3176: The server can't be found. Be sure the mail server information is entered correctly in the Account Manager, and that your DNS settings in the Network Control Panel are correct. The strangest part is that i can access our exchange server through webmail (no problem) or through apple's mail.app (no problem) either. Can someone help? On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:16:12 -0500, Laurent Lamblin wrote (in article <2004102821161216807%hush@skynetbe>): > The strangest part ...

Adding new domain to Exchange 5.5 server
I have a company running Exchange 5.5 that is going to be changing their name and subsequently their domain name. They still however, need to recieve e-mail at the old domain's email addresses. Does anyone know the best and safest way to implement the new domain name within Exchange 5.5 while retaining the old mailboxes and the ability to recieve mail at both old and new e-mail addresses? Also I need to make sure that outgoing messages would be sent from the new addresses. Please Help, Thanks. Be sure to read the entire FAQ after you are done with adding domain http://www.swinc.com/resour...

SENT ITEMS 02-01-10
I will have about 3 or 4 items in the sent folder.....then all of a sudden... they are all gone??? I did NOT delete them as I use some of them for references. Can anyone tell me how to retireve any of the deleted sent items or where they are stored..if they are. Try View | Current View | Show all messages while in the Sent items folder. steve "~JMONT~" <~JMONT~@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC06E0CB-8EB7-4678-B31A-E4B34E19F632@microsoft.com... >I will have about 3 or 4 items in the sent folder.....then all of a >sudden... > they ...

Will Publisher 2002 work with Office 2003?
I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office 2003? Hi LaLana (LaLana@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software || for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office || 2003? Yes it will. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Better watch it Brian. the last t...

XP Upgrade

Using XPath function lang() does not work in XPathNavigator
Hello, I'm stuck with a simple problem, for which I don't have a solution. I basically have an XML file containing fragments of plain text and html, in several languages: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <ms:Locales xmlns:ms="urn:myspace" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <ms:Locale id="EN" locale="en-US" xml:lang="EN"> <ms:Text name="LegalInformation">Legal Information</ms:Text> <ms:Text name="Imprint">Imprint</ms:Text> <ms:Text n...

Conditional Formating #9
I have 4 cells. Below is what I am trying to accomplish. I need the formulas for each of the conditions. Please help. Condition for Cells 1-3 Condition 1: If date is greater than NOW() - Red Condition 2: If date is less than NOW() - Green Condition 3: If there is a date in cell 4 (over ride conditions 1 and 2) - Blue Condition for Cell 4 Condition 1: If there is a date in cell 4 - Blue Thank you, Aviator Assume the cells ar A1:A4, select A1:A3 with A1 as the active cell, format>conditional formatting formula is, for the first condition use =ISNUMBER($A$4) format button and s...

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Windows Media Player 9
Hi, I don't get the picture at all when I play AVI files, although I do get sound. Can someone point me in the right direction for resolving this issue. Thanks - Phil. Wrong newsgroup, but make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed. Click on Help and then on 'Update Existing Software'. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ------...

Brand New Netbook
Hello Group. Father Christmas bought my wife a Samsung netbook last Friday. On Monday we switched it on and I removed Mcfee Security via its uninstaller in the programs menu and I installed MSE. I have had windows and Microsoft updates every day since. There was 64 updates on Monday 18 on Tuesday 1 on Wednesday and 1 today. The netbook after all that is XP Home with SP3 and IE/8 which was preinstalled. The netbook works fine. Today I went to remove a Samsung program following the programs instructions. I went to the Control Panel. I clicked on the add/remove programs. The bo...

OWA Authentication wont work
OWA authentication Anyone knows why OWA 2003 would not ask password, and open Other users e-mail boxes. At the first time, it does after I open any mail box in the browser, simply if I change the user name, I am straight into someone else mail box, No Authentication at all!!!!!! I can not use OWA 2003 because of his reason. I have check all the IIS settings, compared with working exchange. All mail box rights are checked as well. OWA is running on SSL, still same problem Any help would be awesome Thanks Guys Happy New Year everyone Oz(-: "ozzmail@gmail.com" <ozzmail@gmail.com...