Updating from Version 8.0 to 9.0

I was just wondering if anyone had did the GP update from version 8.0
to 9.0 and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for when I'm
doing this?

0
jostop (4)

If you are planning to upgrade your 8 to 9 and wanting to sQL SERVER 2005,
upgrade first your Great Plains in SQL Server 2000.  Upgrade in SQL SERVER
2005 do not work.

Gerald

"jake" wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone had did the GP update from version 8.0
> to 9.0 and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for when I'm
> doing this?

0
Gerald (227)
5/19/2006 3:15:02 PM
The biggest tip I can give you is to do a test upgrade before attempting to
upgrade your live data (Our MS partner helped us set this up).  This will
give you some sort of idea about the time involved and will expose any errors
in your data.

With respect to the SQL server 2005 issue.  You have 2 options.
Apply SP4 to your exisiting GP8 install then upgrade SQL server to 2005
OR
Upgrade to GP9 then upgrade to SQL server 2005

We chose the second method because v8 was a stopping point in our upgrade
(we started at 7.0) and SP4 for 8.0 hadn't been released when we upgraded.

Some tips:
Use the SQL database copy wizard to make your test databases.  The
alternative is a lot of time in Query Analyzer.

Multiple versions of GP can exist on a workstation, create a unique ODBC
connection for each.

Multiple version of FRx and Integration Manager CAN NOT be installed on the
same workstation.  To test them you'll need a workstation where they aren't
in production use.

There have been several excellent posts on this forum regarding upgrades,
use the search function to find them.

The upgrade guides are available on the customer source site.

Good luck on your upgrade!  Your Microsoft GP Partner can help ensure a
succesful upgrade.

VinceV
Not an MS Partner

"jake" wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone had did the GP update from version 8.0
> to 9.0 and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for when I'm
> doing this?

0
VinceV (156)
5/19/2006 5:44:02 PM
My understanding from the GP folks at Convergence is that the latest
8.0 service pack supports SQL 2005 and should allow you to upgrade SQL
first. BUT in the same breath, they also recommended upgrading 8.0 to
9.0 on SQL 2000 first, then doing the SQL 2005 upgrade.

In other words, just because you can, doesn't mean you should, so
follow Gerald's advice and upgrade to 9.0 first.

Mark

Gerald wrote:
> If you are planning to upgrade your 8 to 9 and wanting to sQL SERVER 2005,
> upgrade first your Great Plains in SQL Server 2000.  Upgrade in SQL SERVER
> 2005 do not work.
>
> Gerald
>
> "jake" wrote:
>
> > I was just wondering if anyone had did the GP update from version 8.0
> > to 9.0 and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for when I'm
> > doing this?

0
mpolino (496)

Problem with Script Updating

RMS 3.0 #2
i upgraded my service plan last year same time becuase they said rms 3.0 is releasing soon. Should i pay the fee becuase it didn't get me anything. any suggestions? Also rms 2.0 didn't do much except some button in po's and created more problems. i dont think they will be releasing 3.0 anytime soon anyway. Tough call I have heard from a partner that the 3.0 wont be out until endo 2009 but most likely 1st qtr 2010... Dynamics pos is the next release then RMS 3.0...thats on the rumor mill.. take it with a grain of salt. "manoj" wrote: > i upgraded my...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

How to Reregister a given Excel version
Hi SITUATION... Two Excel version 11.0 and 12.0 are installed on a subset of machines... Depending on the last update made, one or the other is declared as the default Excel to be launch... This can be seen in the following registry key... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application\CurVer that can equal to Excel.Application.12 or to Excel.Application.11 Manifestly, only a reregistration of a given excel version can reestablish an expected situation such as havin version 12.0 being the default one... QUESTION... How can I run a "LIGHT" Reregistration of Excel 12.0 thro...

How update entity in post update?

Migrating CRM 3.0 to a New Server OS.
I’ve purchased a new Server for our CRM 3.0 application and was wondering if there was a procedure to migrate the CRM application to its new server. The OS type (W2k3) is not being changed, just upgrading to a new server platform. -- GT It depends on whether or not you are running SQL on the same server or not. If SQL is on a seperate server, the process is pretty simple. You can install CRM on the new server and use the existing dtabases on the SQL machine. You will need to update any Outlook clients though to point to the new server URL. If SQL is on the same machine, the steps a...

latest update too MSCFV2

Can someone help me??? (0/1)
Let me start off by saying that I am no where near an excel expert so please bear with me. I have a schedule for my employees which is attatched to this post as an html file. They are contained in three different sheets within a workbook. Each sheet has its own formulas and such but I have excluded them and also condensed them down to save repitition. The 3 scheduling sheets are named Servers, Hostess, and BarBus I also have/want 7 other sheets named Mon thru Sun and a template is attatched as an html file as well. What I need to get working is the Mon thru Sun sheets to automatically pu...

Dynamic Menu update

CRM 4.0 Trial Key
Does anyone know where we can get the trial key to install MSCRM 4.0? Thanks Duc If you have access to the download you have access to key - it is in readme Pete "Duc, Nguyen" <DucNguyen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:159C8F13-9827-4EE1-A368-96D4D3E05151@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where we can get the trial key to install MSCRM 4.0? > Thanks > Duc On Dec 2, 11:18 am, Duc, Nguyen <DucNgu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone know where we can get the trial key to install MSCRM 4.0? > Thanks > Duc If you&...

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Not able to shutdown/restart IE 8 using restart manager
I am handling an activeX control which needs to be reinstalled even when it is being used by IE. I am using Restart Manager to achieve this on windows 7. What I observed is that IE simply reloads the tab that uses my activeX control when I call RmShutdown(), so I am not able to re-install the control. And RmRestart() simply returns without any error. Please help me how I can re-install the activeX control by temporarily shutting down apps which are using it and restarting them once the installation is done. Thanks. Hi Varaha, Application Mutex "varaha" <vara...

how can I tell if an attachment of a received email was the "original" version?
Dear all, I am wondering if there is a smarter way to tell whether a specific file(e.g. Excel, Word or email) has been "tempered" with. The only thing I know is to check the File Properties to see when it was last modified, but then I realize by changing the computer clock, one can virtully set those date fields to be any time/date you wish. Is there another way to tell whether the file was indeed the one saved/modifed on the date it says Or by the person it says was the author? A related question goes to how to tell whether the attachment of email has been revised and r...

For serious template programming, staying with VC 6.0 is just not an option.
hi all VC++.NET is much more standard compliant, particularly in the area of templates. For serious template programming, staying with VC 6.0 is just not an option. ? Why ? Regards Bhargav On 6 Aug 2006 22:45:21 -0700, "bhag" <bhag281@gmail.com> wrote: >hi all > >VC++.NET is much more standard compliant, particularly in the area of >templates. I would go with VC 2003 (v. 7.1) or 2005 (v. 8) and not the 2002 version, which was actually called VC.NET. >For serious template programming, staying with VC 6.0 is just not an >option. ? >Why ? Because it ha...

[ANN] Excel X security update

Business Portal 4.0 Issue
Hi All, I am able to Install Business Portal 4.0 in both office share point server site as well as wss3.0 site. After installation I am able to live data of purchase orders and customer balances but some pages like sales orders by customers and some more giving the following error while retrieving the data An error occurred while retrieving data from Microsoft Dynamics GP. Administrators, see the server log for more information. I checked the error in Event Viewer its recorded the following error. Could not execute Web Method GetSalesOrderList on Web Service at http:...

Payroll Update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?