The future of FRx

Can somebody please clear this up for me. Currently we are using Dynamics GP
10 and FRx 6.7 for our financials.  We are looking for a Business Intelligent
tool that will let us create BI reports [we are an investment banking firm].
My research on Microsoft's site indicates that FRx is being phased out and it
will be replaced by Management Reporter. I took a look at MR and it looks
like a dupe of FRx. Also we are looking at Enterprise Reporter - can somebody
confirm if ER can generate the same financials as FRx? I then hear that ER is
being phased out. Which products should we be looking at for creating complex
financials, consolidated financials/reports and Business Intelligence
reports?

Michael,

You can go through this blog post from Mariano on Enterprise Reporting.

http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2009/04/frx-and-enterprise-reporting-roadmap.html

Thanks
Janakiram M.P.
MCP-GP

"Michael@nyresume.com" wrote:

> Can somebody please clear this up for me. Currently we are using Dynamics GP
> 10 and FRx 6.7 for our financials.  We are looking for a Business Intelligent
> tool that will let us create BI reports [we are an investment banking firm].
> My research on Microsoft's site indicates that FRx is being phased out and it
> will be replaced by Management Reporter. I took a look at MR and it looks
> like a dupe of FRx. Also we are looking at Enterprise Reporter - can somebody
> confirm if ER can generate the same financials as FRx? I then hear that ER is
> being phased out. Which products should we be looking at for creating complex
> financials, consolidated financials/reports and Business Intelligence
> reports?
0
janakirammp (688)
6/18/2009 3:00:34 PM
Michael,

My friend Mariano Gomez has a post on his blog regarding the future of
reporting in GP.  Please have a look here http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/search/label/FRx
for more info on the subject.

Hope this helps,

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com
blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com

0
fhamelly1 (1405)
6/18/2009 3:22:42 PM
That blog is painfully short on info - i certainly can't present that to the
CFO of an invenstment banking firm.

"Janakiram M.P." wrote:

> Michael,
>
> You can go through this blog post from Mariano on Enterprise Reporting.
>
> http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2009/04/frx-and-enterprise-reporting-roadmap.html
>
> Thanks
> Janakiram M.P.
> MCP-GP
>
> "Michael@nyresume.com" wrote:
>
> > Can somebody please clear this up for me. Currently we are using Dynamics GP
> > 10 and FRx 6.7 for our financials.  We are looking for a Business Intelligent
> > tool that will let us create BI reports [we are an investment banking firm].
> > My research on Microsoft's site indicates that FRx is being phased out and it
> > will be replaced by Management Reporter. I took a look at MR and it looks
> > like a dupe of FRx. Also we are looking at Enterprise Reporter - can somebody
> > confirm if ER can generate the same financials as FRx? I then hear that ER is
> > being phased out. Which products should we be looking at for creating complex
> > financials, consolidated financials/reports and Business Intelligence
> > reports?
Michael,

The article is painfully short because that's as much information I had
available at the time I published the article.

Despite that, the article describes the estimated timelines for both FRx and
Enterprise Reporter to be phased out and replaced for Management Reporter. As
you know by now, MR will become the de facto standard for financial reporting
going forward.

On the business intelligence side, the strategy will continue to revolve
around enhancing the Analysis Cubes offering as it will play an important
role in the Corporate Performance Management strategy (of which Management
Reporter is a part of). You can read information on Analysis Cubes and play
with the demos here:

http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/gp/product/businessintelligenceandreporting.mspx

Should you have further questions please feel free to contact me with the
information below to discuss. I will be glad to put an hour aside to talk
about this.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Michael@nyresume.com" wrote:

> That blog is painfully short on info - i certainly can't present that to the
> CFO of an invenstment banking firm.
>
> "Janakiram M.P." wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> > You can go through this blog post from Mariano on Enterprise Reporting.
> >
> > http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2009/04/frx-and-enterprise-reporting-roadmap.html
> >
> > Thanks
> > Janakiram M.P.
> > MCP-GP
> >
> > "Michael@nyresume.com" wrote:
> >
> > > Can somebody please clear this up for me. Currently we are using Dynamics GP
> > > 10 and FRx 6.7 for our financials.  We are looking for a Business Intelligent
> > > tool that will let us create BI reports [we are an investment banking firm].
> > > My research on Microsoft's site indicates that FRx is being phased out and it
> > > will be replaced by Management Reporter. I took a look at MR and it looks
> > > like a dupe of FRx. Also we are looking at Enterprise Reporter - can somebody
> > > confirm if ER can generate the same financials as FRx? I then hear that ER is
> > > being phased out. Which products should we be looking at for creating complex
> > > financials, consolidated financials/reports and Business Intelligence
> > > reports?
0
MarianoGomez (3442)
6/18/2009 7:04:01 PM
Here is another FRx specific blog with some more information:
http://www.frxbuzz.com/the-future-of-frx-and-management-reporter-for-dynamics-gls/.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Michael@nyresume.com" <Michaelnyresumecom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7AEC540B-B176-4DDA-9531-C5DCCFCEA396@microsoft.com...
> That blog is painfully short on info - i certainly can't present that to
> the
> CFO of an invenstment banking firm.
>
> "Janakiram M.P." wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> You can go through this blog post from Mariano on Enterprise Reporting.
>>
>> http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2009/04/frx-and-enterprise-reporting-roadmap.html
>>
>> Thanks
>> Janakiram M.P.
>> MCP-GP
>>
>> "Michael@nyresume.com" wrote:
>>
>> > Can somebody please clear this up for me. Currently we are using
>> > Dynamics GP
>> > 10 and FRx 6.7 for our financials.  We are looking for a Business
>> > Intelligent
>> > tool that will let us create BI reports [we are an investment banking
>> > firm].
>> > My research on Microsoft's site indicates that FRx is being phased out
>> > and it
>> > will be replaced by Management Reporter. I took a look at MR and it
>> > looks
>> > like a dupe of FRx. Also we are looking at Enterprise Reporter - can
>> > somebody
>> > confirm if ER can generate the same financials as FRx? I then hear that
>> > ER is
>> > being phased out. Which products should we be looking at for creating
>> > complex
>> > financials, consolidated financials/reports and Business Intelligence
>> > reports?

0
victoria (3339)
6/18/2009 7:04:46 PM
Michael,

Additionally, did you notice the links in Mariano's article to the
additional information?  It points to the same blog article that
Victoria mentioned and one brief blurb from Mark Polino.  I take it
you didn't notice them :)

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com
blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com
0
fhamelly1 (1405)
6/18/2009 8:10:43 PM
On Jun 18, 5:36=A0am, Mich...@nyresume.com
<Michaelnyresume...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Can somebody please clear this up for me. Currently we are using Dynamics=
 GP
> 10 and FRx 6.7 for our financials. =A0We are looking for a Business Intel=
ligent
> tool that will let us create BI reports [we are an investment banking fir=
m].
> My research on Microsoft's site indicates that FRx is being phased out an=
d it
> will be replaced by Management Reporter. I took a look at MR and it looks
> like a dupe of FRx. Also we are looking at Enterprise Reporter - can some=
body
> confirm if ER can generate the same financials as FRx? I then hear that E=
R is
> being phased out. Which products should we be looking at for creating com=
plex
> financials, consolidated financials/reports and Business Intelligence
> reports?

We have been implementing ER for many years, and we have found the
tool to be far stronger than FRx in:
Ability to design dynamic reports that have minimum maintenance
requirements (e.g. when you add accounts or companies in the GL)
Ability to design complex financial statements (you will find that
reports you struggle with in FRx can be designed in ER). After several
hundred implementations, we have yet to see an FRx report that cannot
be replaced by ER. Part of this is because ER has a true spreadsheet
WYSIWYG report writer that provides far more flexibility than the
older FRx technology which is based on row and column tables that are
matched together in order to design a report.
Speed: After many benchmarking tests, it has been proven that ER
reports at the minimum 12-15 times faster than exactly the same
reports and data sets run through FRx.

Of course, whereas FRx was designed for any company (that use the 22+
different ERP systems that support FRx) needing financial statements,
ER was specifically designed for mid-sized and large companies that
needs the extra speed, specific consolidation functionality (auto
eliminations, JE adjustments, complex currency conversion, minority
handling, etc.) and flexibility that is often required in the upper
end of the market.

Jim Hummer
Solver Inc
0
jhummer26 (50)

error in FRx
Hi, I am receiving the following error while generating a report in Frx - "error loading columns for printing". I am using a reporting tree with 11 reporting units and this error occurs only for one of the reporting unit. Thanks, Sudarshan ...

FRx doesn't run
When I run FRx, I get "Run_time error 76, path not found" message when I try to run FRx. The only thing I did was to change the location of sysdata files from local drive to a network shared folder in frx32.cfg. Can someone help? Did you use UNC pathing both for the server install and in the workstation cfg file? Lyle On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:55:15 -0700, "Tiffany" <tiffany@vpvp.com> wrote: >When I run FRx, I get "Run_time error 76, path not found" message when I try >to run FRx. The only thing I did was to change the location of sysdata >fil...

Future
As MS is closing the NewsGroups in favour of the "Forums", I'm wondering in which Forum the users of WinMail might meet again in the future. The process of killing the NGs is progressive. The majority of the German groups does no longer exist and the rest is reduced day by day. {siiigh} I could not yet detect a forum which would fit for WinMail. Does anybody know more than poor Me? TIA Rainald Microsoft has recommended the following replacement forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/vistanetworking/threads Gary VanderMolen, Micro...

CONTEXT_INFO
Hi, We're thinking about using CONTEXT_INFO to pass username to the audit trail triggers. Is this wise? Are there any plans to deprecate CONTEXT_INFO in a future version? Can anyone confirm that it's still in 2010 (and not deprecated)? The other option would be to add username as a field to every table and pass it in all stored procs. Any opinions as to which is better? And anyone got any other clever ideas as to how to pass username to audit trail triggers? We are not using delegation. N.B. We are using many tableadapters on the app so will not have a centralised place...

Future of Access
I keep hearing people say around my office that access is no longer supported? is this the case now?? have read some threads but are a few years old. I like access and will be disapointed if it is on the way out.... Of course it's not the case. Office 2010 was just released, and Access is in it, with brand new functionality. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele (no e-mails, please!) "StuJol" <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECF011C6-26FE-4962-87A1-13BDF8655B0C@microsoft.com... >I keep hearing ...

FRx should be compatible with right-to-left languages #5
FRx should be compatible with right-to-left languages ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=0b35ccb9-c35e-45cb-bb5c-487d8f80e71b&dg=microsoft.public.greatplai...

The future of all computing
Is passing Kevin by. Has passed him by for years. ...

FRx export to Excel with formulas to work for XCR columns
The calculation column shows the wrong signs for revenue (normal balance = "C") rows when you export to excel using formulas. The issue is coming from the following setup in FRx: 1. The normal balance was set to “C” in the row format. 2. Print control that was set to use “XCR” in the column layout. 3. Including formulas when exporting to excel. RESPONSE FROM MBS We have found few bugs that were written regarding this issue. One of them states that this is working as designed. The reason they gave is because you should not include formulas when exporting to excel as it...

Auto Login of users in Frx
We have client installations where users accesses Great Plains and Frx using Citrix. To access Frx they use Reports - Financial - Frx navigation within Great Plains. Previously the users were able to access Frx, without asked to enter the Database login user id and password. They were able to access reports without having to enter any user id password details. It was automated somehow. All of a sudden the users are now asked to enter the user id / password when they access Frx. Is there any way to revert back to auto login feature of Frx. In other words Frx should not ask or prompt with Use...

Future in MS CRM
Hi I'm new to MS CRM. Before that I was working on ASP.Net application and I have 7 yrs+ of development experience. I want to know the future in MS CRM as a developer and professional. I would say the future is bright. There is alot of opportunity for CRM implementations, including customization (heavily required by most clients). Just a quick ready in some of the forums you will see what others are up to, and that will get you familiar. I would suggest getting the VPC Image so you can play on your own at get up to speed. You might find it difficult to get work in the this area, but ...

FRx scroll bars
It seems that FRx scroll bars 'freeze' sometime when my client is using drilldown viewer. They have to log out of it and go back in to get them active again. They are on FRx 6.7.9111. Is that an issue that you have seen before? -- Janey Yes, it seems to be a bug in the latest service pack. It didn't happen prior to applying the SP. Tell them to not to use the arrow buttons to scroll - either drag the little scroll button or click in the scroll bar to scroll up and down. That should prevent the scroll bar freeze. Another bug in the latest SP - exporting to Excel doesn...

Add Image to FRx Report
Hi, Is it possible to add an image to a FRX report? What i need to do is add a company logo to the report header. Thanks, Sandeep. No, it is not possible. If you need a graphic, you will need to export the report to Excel. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Sandeep" wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to add an image to a FRX report? What i need to do is add a > company logo to the report header. > > Thanks, > > Sandeep. Thanks Charles. Hope they introduce this feature sometime soon. "Charles Allen" wrote: > No, it is not possible. If you need ...

predict future data

FRx 6.5
Hi All, Hopefully someone can help. I have a report in Frx Designer that I have problems viewing and printing. Basically I get the first page OK but all other pages are blank except the description column. If I take out the column format and create one new it kind off works. if I add only the Description and one other column the report prints fine. If I add another column we get the blank prints again. This is post SP5. If I run the same report on a system running no SP it works fine. Any help is appreciated. Cheers Steve Do you have any page breaks on your report? PI or PB? &q...

Future?
Hi All What is the future of MFC, ATL, COM, DCOM and ActiveX Will Microsoft slowly replace them with .Net and related things makeing the above legacy Regards Mohan Hi MFC - MFC is designed to be a great class library for creating windows based application with OOPS feature ATL. - ATL designed for create lightweight COM objects and ActiveX controls COM - Reuse the components at binary level, platform and language independen DCOM - Reuse the components at binary level with different machines and you can search from the net you can find lot articles, examples related those technol...

FRx picking up wrong balance
For some reason, our FRx balance sheet report isn't picking up the correct balance for one of the accounts as of 11/30/07. It works fine as of 10/31, but when I run the report as of 11/30 nothing prints. There was activity in period 11, and the 11/30 balance shows up fine in GP (both in the Inquiry screen and on a printed Trial Balance). I rebuilt the G32 files, but that didn't help. Any ideas? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 Never mind....our account structure is xxx-yyyyyy-zzz, and we thought there was only one yyyyyy account set ...

date in the future
Hi if I have a date in C5 the formula =DATEDIF(C5,TODAY(),"m") gives the number of months from that date. How can I get the number of months to a given date in the future from today and if cell E5 contains 08/10/2011? Thanks Ron One way: =DATEDIF(TODAY(), E5, "m") In article <#ujMS#N0FHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Ron" <ron@flymail.fm> wrote: > Hi if I have a date in C5 the formula =DATEDIF(C5,TODAY(),"m") gives the > number of months from that date. How can I get the number of months to a > given date in the future from...

FRx #9
When I query up the report all is fine until I requests the print out. Then the CPU maxes out and drill32.exe takes over 50% of the CPU and the machine will lock out his session. Dear, first confirm this, Is FRx working properly and for this make a simple report like, make a Trial Balance Report and if it will work properly then please, check thoroughly all settings of your report as well as column and row conditions. Regards, SMA "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0E2486F-9579-45EF-B606-89B05C27B28F@microsoft.com... > When I query up ...

MFC future?
I'm a home programmer who occasionally does programming for work using MFCs. I have not yet had a chance to look at VS 2005. Are there changes to MFCs? It seems Microsoft is heavily pushing .NET. Is MFC slowly being phased out? (Do I finally have to learn .NET?) Any guidance from the professionals out there? Thanks, Paul Please see http://blog.voidnish.com/?p=86 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "NewbProgrammer" <paul_kiefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1133363897.273228.83080@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm a home programmer who occasionally does pr...

Link future workbooks to a summary workbook...
I have an excel template that I use to create new workbooks. Is it possible to set-up a summary workbook that looks through a specific folder and inputs all the values in a specific cell into the summary workbook? For example: Cell A1 is a persons name, Cell B1 is an account #. In the summary workbook I want Column A to be all of the values from Cell A1 in all of the workbooks located in a specific folder. Columb B would hold the corresponding value in cell B1 from all of the same workbooks... I think I need code to do this but would be thrilled if it was possible without.....

FRx Report
We have an FRx tree created for all GP companies. We want to create an FRx report for just one main account segment to print the balance in these accounts for all companies. What's the best way to do this? Under the Company column in the tree setup, choose @any. This will grab all companies at once. You can then mask as you do on all the other trees. "Elaine" wrote: > We have an FRx tree created for all GP companies. We want to create an FRx > report for just one main account segment to print the balance in these > accounts for all companies. > > What...

Future
I'm just curious if anyone knows what the future for RMS is? -- Thank You,; Vince The future's so bright I gotta wear shades! "Vince" <Vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0314F195-5067-40CE-8682-EAA977C76376@microsoft.com... > I'm just curious if anyone knows what the future for RMS is? > -- > Thank You,; > Vince It is going to burn up entering the atmosphere and shoot across the sky like a great ball of fire. "Anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eEsHQpPMFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNG...

Viewing future bills
I have used Money 2000 for many years and still have a copy of it on an old PC. I very much liked the ability to see upcoming bills due for what ever period of time that I chose. Now I am using Money 05. It will only allow me to view the next bill due for a payee. I hate it. Can anyone tell me what was the last version to allow bills summary to show bills in the future for what ever period you choose? Can anyone tell me how or where I can purchase an older version of MS money? I have lost my Money 2000 disc or I would just load it on my new PC and call it a day. One other questing does ...

FRX Error #3
Getting error FRX for Great Plains - SQL Server\MSDE will need a registration number in 30 days. Also another error about evaluation period has expired for this product. We bought the product with the license. Some users can access FRX fine, others getting this error. Any suggestions appreciated. It appears that the clients are not using the same sysdata folder. -- Charles Allen, MVP "wendileigh" wrote: > Getting error > FRX for Great Plains - SQL Server\MSDE will need a registration number in 30 > days. > > Also another error about evaluation period ...

Stumped with FRX
I am using GP 7.50 & trying to familiarize myself in FRX. I created a row format with my chart of accounts. However, what worries me is if I added a new natural code with this row format update automatically or do I need to recreate it each time. Can someone give me some direction?? Also, if there are two location p&L's that I want to combine-how do you do this??? I can see them individually but have no clue on combining...this manual is not helping me too much so any input would be appreciated. thanks again Barb You don't have to recreate it each time. You will ne...