Terminal Server and GP 10

I know what the recommendations say but with the processing power of new
servers on the market is anyone using Terminal Server and GP 10 on the same
box with 30 or more users accessing GP (not at users are transactional users)?
0
TpAMike (5)

We have a client with 25 concurrent users running SQL, GP10 and terminal
services. Consider full client installs for users doing a lot of posting and
limit use of home pages,  and you should be fine.

They are now moving to a 64 bit server and want to run GP as a 32 bit
virtual server to overcome memory limitations.

"tpamike" wrote:

> I know what the recommendations say but with the processing power of new
> servers on the market is anyone using Terminal Server and GP 10 on the same
> box with 30 or more users accessing GP (not at users are transactional users)?
0
Ger (61)
7/20/2009 9:06:01 PM
On Jul 20, 2:06=A0pm, Ger <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We have a client with 25 concurrent users running SQL, GP10 and terminal
> services. Consider full client installs for users doing a lot of posting =
and
> limit use of home pages, =A0and you should be fine. =A0
>
> They are now moving to a 64 bit server and want to run GP as a 32 bit
> virtual server to overcome memory limitations.
>

> "tpamike" wrote:
> > I know what the recommendations say but with the processing power of ne=
> > servers on the market is anyone using Terminal Server and GP 10 on the =
same
> > box with 30 or more users accessing GP (not at users are transactional =
users)?- Hide quoted text -

Just a note.   With Windows 2008 TS and 64 bit you can install GP in
32 bit mode and get the best of both worlds.    I have seen clients
with this setup and it is very fast.

Jim

0
jhummer26 (50)
7/22/2009 12:24:27 AM
Thanks for the helpful comments.  Is anyone seeing a cap on the number of
users they would try on one box running in this config?

"jhummer26@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2:06 pm, Ger <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > We have a client with 25 concurrent users running SQL, GP10 and terminal
> > services. Consider full client installs for users doing a lot of posting and
> > limit use of home pages,  and you should be fine.
> >
> > They are now moving to a 64 bit server and want to run GP as a 32 bit
> > virtual server to overcome memory limitations.
> >

> > "tpamike" wrote:
> > > I know what the recommendations say but with the processing power of new
> > > servers on the market is anyone using Terminal Server and GP 10 on the same
> > > box with 30 or more users accessing GP (not at users are transactional users)?- Hide quoted text -

> Just a note.   With Windows 2008 TS and 64 bit you can install GP in
> 32 bit mode and get the best of both worlds.    I have seen clients
> with this setup and it is very fast.
>
> Jim

0
TpAMike (5)
7/23/2009 4:02:02 PM
On Jul 23, 9:02=A0am, tpamike <tpam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the helpful comments. =A0Is anyone seeing a cap on the number =
of
> users they would try on one box running in this config?
>

> "jhumme...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 2:06 pm, Ger <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > We have a client with 25 concurrent users running SQL, GP10 and termi=
nal
> > > services. Consider full client installs for users doing a lot of post=
ing and
> > > limit use of home pages, =A0and you should be fine. =A0
>
> > > They are now moving to a 64 bit server and want to run GP as a 32 bit
> > > virtual server to overcome memory limitations.

nal users)?- Hide quoted text -

> > Just a note. =A0 With Windows 2008 TS and 64 bit you can install GP in
> > 32 bit mode and get the best of both worlds. =A0 =A0I have seen clients
> > with this setup and it is very fast.
>
> > Jim- Hide quoted text -

It depends upon what sort of processing is done but the general rule
is 500mb of memory per on line user.

Jim
0
jhummer26 (50)
7/28/2009 12:59:46 AM
Jim,

I think this rule of thumb is very high. Though I'm running V9 on
Windows 2003, I have no problem running 20-25 users on a 4Gb machine.
With this rule, I'd need over 10. Terminal servers are very hard to
guess memory usage due to it sharing memory for common program
executable code between users. So when 2 users fire up GP, it does not
take 2x the RAM as one user. The typical limit people on the 2003
platform is due to how Windows divides the memory between system and
user space. This has been changed for 2008. Assuming you are running
current processors, I would guess you're limit for number of users
would be how much RAM is in the system rather than CPU or IO
limitations.

George

On Jul 27, 7:59=A0pm, "jhumme...@gmail.com" <jhumme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 9:02=A0am, tpamike <tpam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the helpful comments. =A0Is anyone seeing a cap on the numbe=
r of
> > users they would try on one box running in this config?

ional users)?- Hide quoted text -

> > > Just a note. =A0 With Windows 2008 TS and 64 bit you can install GP i=
> > > 32 bit mode and get the best of both worlds. =A0 =A0I have seen clien=
ts
> > > with this setup and it is very fast.
>
> > > Jim- Hide quoted text -

> It depends upon what sort of processing is done but the general rule
> is 500mb of memory per on line user.
>
> Jim- Hide quoted text -

glasseigne (74)
7/28/2009 1:31:01 PM
On Jul 28, 6:31=A0am, TooMuchFun4Me <glassei...@dumptrucks.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I think this rule of thumb is very high. Though I'm running V9 on
> Windows 2003, I have no problem running 20-25 users on a 4Gb machine.
> With this rule, I'd need over 10. Terminal servers are very hard to
> guess memory usage due to it sharing memory for common program
> executable code between users. So when 2 users fire up GP, it does not
> take 2x the RAM as one user. The typical limit people on the 2003
> platform is due to how Windows divides the memory between system and
> user space. This has been changed for 2008. Assuming you are running
> current processors, I would guess you're limit for number of users
> would be how much RAM is in the system rather than CPU or IO
> limitations.
>
> George
>
> On Jul 27, 7:59=A0pm, "jhumme...@gmail.com" <jhumme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 23, 9:02=A0am, tpamike <tpam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote=
:

> > > Thanks for the helpful comments. =A0Is anyone seeing a cap on the num=
ber of
> > > users they would try on one box running in this config?

ctional users)?- Hide quoted text -

> > It depends upon what sort of processing is done but the general rule
> > is 500mb of memory per on line user.
>
> > Jim- Hide quoted text -

Hey George

I am sure your system works fine.    But for a planning the 500mb is a
generally the excepted amount for high end users and it probably low
with Excel 2007..    It does depend upon usage and software.   You
don't want low ball your system.    I would say a GP 10 25 user
Windows 2003 system with 4 gig is a bare bones system in todays
world.     That is why a lot of folks are switching to 64 bit
systems.

Jim

Jim
0
jhummer26 (50)
7/29/2009 7:24:29 PM
Jim,

I also stated I was running V9 (not 10) which is a little less memory
intensive and also Office 2003, again less memory intensive.

While I agree more hardware is great to have and these days not too
expensive, I often find people don't really test or validate these
rules of thumb. They are just tossed about as "safe" numbers. I think
people use them more as a CYA tool.

I would be very interested to see what someone's actually memory usage
running GP 10 on TS is with X number of users.

George

On Jul 29, 2:24=A0pm, "jhumme...@gmail.com" <jhumme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 6:31=A0am, TooMuchFun4Me <glassei...@dumptrucks.com> wrote:
>

> > Jim,
>
> > I think this rule of thumb is very high. Though I'm running V9 on
> > Windows 2003, I have no problem running 20-25 users on a 4Gb machine.
> > With this rule, I'd need over 10. Terminal servers are very hard to
> > guess memory usage due to it sharing memory for common program
> > executable code between users. So when 2 users fire up GP, it does not
> > take 2x the RAM as one user. The typical limit people on the 2003
> > platform is due to how Windows divides the memory between system and
> > user space. This has been changed for 2008. Assuming you are running
> > current processors, I would guess you're limit for number of users
> > would be how much RAM is in the system rather than CPU or IO
> > limitations.
>
> > George
>
> > On Jul 27, 7:59=A0pm, "jhumme...@gmail.com" <jhumme...@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> > > On Jul 23, 9:02=A0am, tpamike <tpam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wro=
te:

sactional users)?- Hide quoted text -

GP in

> > > It depends upon what sort of processing is done but the general rule
> > > is 500mb of memory per on line user.
>
> > > Jim- Hide quoted text -

> Hey George
>
> I am sure your system works fine. =A0 =A0But for a planning the 500mb is =
> generally the excepted amount for high end users and it probably low
> with Excel 2007.. =A0 =A0It does depend upon usage and software. =A0 You
> don't want low ball your system. =A0 =A0I would say a GP 10 25 user
> Windows 2003 system with 4 gig is a bare bones system in todays
> world. =A0 =A0 That is why a lot of folks are switching to 64 bit
> systems.
>
> Jim
>
> Jim- Hide quoted text -

glasseigne (74)

Recovery Storage Groups on seperate server
Environment - One Exchange 2003 Standard Server SP2 on Windows 2003 Server SP1 with one Storage Group - 4 databases under that storage group. Problem - Currently I am expermenting in our test environment with the use of Recovery Groups in an attempt to create a more timely DR process. Is there anyway to have the restored databases for a Recovery Storage Group on a seperate server from the original databases? In other words can you somehow point the recovery storage groups to something other than a local drive? I've attempted trying to point just using a mapped network drive, but rec...

Transmitting Outlook data to a web server
I am looking for a solution on how to publish data in Outlook to a web server. A custom web app will be written to access the data published to its server and and display it in some special way. I will either need to write custom VBA for Outlook that transmits the data to the web server or use some third-party tool that integrates into Outlook that will transmit the data for me. The data is sent in only one direction - from client to server. The data on the server is read- only. Whenever the user changes data in Outlook, either it gets sent to the server automatically (the preferred wa...

License usage for Microsoft Exchange Server
Yesterday I noticed a warning event in the event viewer that the "License usage for product Microsoft Exchange 2003 is nearing the maximum number or per server licenses purchased" In the licensing application I show that for "Per Server Purchased" we have 100 licenses and for "Per Server Reached" the value is -112 (!??). When I select the properties of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, it shows we have 100 licenses purchased and have reached 94. Even this 94 amount is hard to believe. There are a total of 48 mailboxes showing in ESM and at the very most I...

Error code 80070005 12-10-09
Windows can not automatically chek are there some new updates for Windows 7 Ultimate? Error code 80070005 help me !!! Hello Degy, Using your web interface search tool, press Alt-7 and enter 80070005 OR 80070005 MVP Good luck -=- "Degy" wrote: > Windows can not automatically chek are there some new updates for Windows 7 > Ultimate? Error code 80070005 > help me !!! What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your subscription current, and is it supported in Win7? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defende...

Great Plains should use Transaction Processing in SQL Server
This concerns Great Plains version 7.5 on MS SQL Server 2000 SP3. Day before yesterday a brief electric power outage occurred exactly while a user was posting a batch of invoices in PM. The database server and other network components were on UPS and did not fail in any way, but the workstation PC doing the posting was not on a UPS and it rebooted. This left the invoice batch in a sort of "half posted" state. In fact there was resulting damage in both the PM and GL areas of the database, because we have the system set up to post through in detail to GL. We first attempted...

Runtime to Terminate
I just bought a new desktop with Windows XP. I loaded Office 2000 and everything worked fine until Norton Antivirus booted up. Now I keep getting a message that says the "application requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way". After the message, outlook will not work until I close the app and then reopen. Any fixes??? ...

Security for an ADP; what is Access part? What is SQL server's part.
I have an ADP (Access forms, etc with SQL Server backend) How would I implement security for end users? Do I set up in Access? Then how does access talk to SQL Server? Do I set up user accounts in SQL Server? To I configure both? Isn't their an application role in SQL Server? I need a general framework to start with. Any advice or links would be appreciated. Mike I generally use integrated Windows security with SQL-Server, then create an Access ADE (or more often an MDE) for the Access Front-end. You don't need to login, but you do need to be in a group with permissions to ...

Re: Importing Messages Into Mail.app 03-28-10
In article uvOaP3jzKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl, Michel Bintener at mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org wrote on 3/28/10 2:13 AM: > Hi Rick, > > this appears to be a problem with Mail, not Entourage, so you might be > better off asking the question on Apple's discussion boards. > > However, if the number of folders you are trying to import is rather > small, you can simply drag the folder from the folder list in Entourage > to the desktop; you can then import the resulting mbox files into Mail > when you're done (via File>Import Mailboxes). > A...

How to Configure Exchange with Outgoing Server Authentication
I am trying to figure out how to set up Exchange 2003 to send using authentication. All of the users have an Exchange mailbox which collects their mail via the POP Connector. When they send, it was going out via DNS through the ISP. The ISP just cranked down and now most of the emails are being returned saying that unauthorized relaying is denied. How do I set up the outgoing mail to authenticate? We use another company for email hosting and the POP Connector to retrieve messages. The Exchange server sends out the messages for most of the users. Any help would be greatly appreciated!...

Server side rule
I am trying to figure out how to create a server side rule that when an e-mail comes in to the server. The e- mail message is delivered to multiple mailboxes. Here is an example, bill from company ABC sends an e-mail to my company with the subject as real-estate properties. The e-mail is addressed to Steve@mycompany.com. The e-mail is delivered to the mailboxes of Steve, and also Chris, Debra, and Jim. Is this possible with exchange 2003? Thank you Norman I think this is only possible with a client side rule. An event sink might possibly work. An SMTP smart host would be abl...

animations 03-26-10
How do you enlarge a picture to fill the screen and then make it get smaller and move to a designated position? To enlarge is easy. Simply click on the graphic so that it is selected.to enlarge. Place it in the upper left hand corner, then gram the lower left corner, drag it down and over towards the right side. To shrink right click on the graphic, from the drop down menu that appears, select size and positioning, and imput the size needed, click ok, then drag to where it is needed. I hope that helped! To enlarge a picture during animation, use an Emphasis Animation, Gro...

Moving Exchange Server 5.5 in its entirety
I have an SBS4.5 machine which currently runs Exchange 5.5 in its entirety from d:\exchsrvr. I effectively need to move the exchsrvr folder and *all* of its contents to another physical volume (this is not the usual space issue as the drive that Exchange currently sits on is about to be swallowed up into a mirror set elsewhere on the server so I'm afraid that good old ex. optimiser is probably not going to help me here). For information, the target volume already exists and has data on it. To summarise, we effectively need to move exchange from d:\exchsrvr to e:\exchsrvr. Can anybody sugg...

Mail Server
Hi ,I have just installed Windows 7 and I find that I cannot have Outlook Express. If I continue with Windows Mail can I use my existing mail server or do I throw out Windows 7 for something else -- artysan Outlook Express was last used in XP. You're posting in the Vista newsgroup. Do you want to use Windows Live Mail, the successor to OE and Windows Mail (Vista)? That you can easily do with your current mail server with Win7. It sets up the same as OE did. Windows Live Mail (Overview, Features & Download): http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview -- Bruce...

Error in GP Web Service
I am getting the below error when i am calling the GP Web Service to get the Customer Name using GetCustomerByKey() Service Kindly advice me what will be the error. Error: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The application encountered an unhandled system exception. Contact your system administrator for details. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at ...

Detect termination of other process.
Calling ShellExecute, I execute a process. How can I detect when this program is turminated? I tried to combine CreateProcess & WaitForSingleObject functions. But filed. Hello ShellExecute() will run the program so you don't need CreateProcess() again. If you call CreateProcess() or ShellExecuteEx() you can use WaitForSingleObject() to wait for the process to terminate. -- Elias "Joon-ho Ryu" <junoryu@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23YQeGbddDHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Calling ShellExecute, I execute a process. > How can I detect when this program...

Account Lockup Threshold policy in Microsoft Dynamics GP
There is a problem with Microsoft Dynamics GP, sending the user’s password to SQL Server four times during a login attempt? Are you kidding? Has the application login procedure ever been reviewed? It appears the login procedure has not been updated since product inception. After reviewing the suggestions from the Customer Source knowledge base, the recommendations listed are wholly unacceptable. Switching the Account Lockup Threshold to 12 times, 50 times? I am surprised that someone actually suggested such a large threshold. I can’t believe that any responsible organization would actua...

Deleted Root Web Exchange Server 2003
Didn't think I needed my root web so I deleted it. Low and behold this is what I used for OWA. How do I set up a new link to OWA? Thanks. Restore metabase from right before you did this - with Windows 2003 it backs it up often. Otherwise: Remove IIS and add it back. Run setup /disasterrecovery from the Exchange CD. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://w...

Terminating Application
Hi, Does anyone know how can I terminate an SDI application? To explain my situation, I'm trying to make an error handling mechanism and for some critical situations I have to terminate the whole application since it can't carry on anymore. I want to do this somehow that my classes destructors are called too. I have tried sending WM_CLOSE to the project's main window but it can't work out since I don't want my code execution flow to carry on after I sent this message (it makes unhandled exceptions). I would like something like exit(0) but it won't let the classes to do ...

LDIFDE very slow when run from Exchange server.
Hello, We've setup a test network consisting of a W2K3 DC and an E2K3 server with about 500 mailbox-enabled users. When we run an LDIFDE export on the DC, it completes in a few seconds. On the Exchange server, the same export takes several minutes. Any idea why it would take so long on the Exchange server? There is nothing strange in the event viewer. Bother servers have a similar spec, incl 100mbit n/w cards. Thanks in advance, - Alan. Other than the fact that you are running the export across the network, perhaps your network cards are not correctly auto-negotiating 100Mb/s. I ...

how to change the ip address of an exchange 2003 server
Hi, I have a w2k3 box running exchange server 2003 with a separate box running w2k3 / exchange server 2k3 for outlook web access that connects to the net via a w2k3 ISA2004 server. I also have all my external (outside) outgoing and incoming mail going through a barracuda spam firewall (appliance / server). My question is: how do I "successfully" change the ip addresses, subnet mask, and gateway on all these devices (physical and virtual) with the least disruption to my Exchange mail system? Is there a specific order in doing so? Are there any documented instructions on ho...

Server Name Change
Can anyone tell me the effects of changing the server name on my Exchange box? Our company is going through a transition, and the owners want to change the name and lose everything on our network that references it. This includes our Exchange server, and our AD server. Thanks! Scott On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:21:05 -0800, "DLAV Admin" <DLAVAdmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone tell me the effects of changing the server name on my Exchange >box? Our company is going through a transition, and the owners want to change >the name and lose everything on ...

Which SQL Server?
I am considering moving my BE to SQL Server 2005 (I have Access 2003), but I don't get all the versions they have. I will have 20 or so users talking to SQL Server tables via Access front ends on their desktop. Can I get away with the free developer version? (I know -- I wish).Also, should I NOT go ADP with the idea that the company will someday upgrade to VISTA, which seems to be ADP hostile?Thanks in advance for your help. PhotoFinish <PhotoFinish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:>Thanks. That is good to know. I think Microsoft's comparison chart is >lacking a simpl...

Exchange Server Not Available Issue
I have been having trouble recently with Outlook 2002 running on XP Home Edition. Until last weeks blackout in NYC, I was able to connect to my exchange server for my email. Since then, every time I try to connect, I get the message "Your Microsoft Exchange Servier is Not Available". However, if I connect to the exchange server through the internet via the IP address, the server is online and I can get to my mail. Nothing has changed on my machine and the group that supports my exchange server says everything looks ok from there. Others are able to connect to the serve...

SMTP Virtual Server Advanced Delivery configuration
Hello, I'm running Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1 over Windows2K3 Advanced Server SP1. Everything on my server is running fine, no delivery problems internally or externally. However, I have an outside agency telling me that their spam filter is doing a "real host" check on delivery of email and, since we do not allow SMTP connections directly to the Exchange Server (a good thing), there is no DNS lookup on our externals to match the server name that is in the "MAIL FROM" field when our emails are sent out. We route all of our incoming email through a spam filter, whi...

Server Core
Can different Server Roles be installed on a Server Core remotely using RSAT? Hello carl, RSAT is not for installation management, it is the successor from the adminpak coming with Windows 2000/2003. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Can different Server Roles be installed on a Server Core remotely > using RSAT? > Hello carl, Additional ...