Taxable versus Non-taxable items

We understand the basics of when sales taxes are computed.  For example, an
Inventory Item may be marked as Taxable, Non-Taxable, or Based on Customer.

If we choose Based on Customer, then it uses the tax schedule defined for
the Ship-To address of that customer.

Here's the problem:

Item A IS TAXABLE for customer 1 in Colorado, but Item A IS NOT TAXABLE for
Customer 2 in Georgia.

BUT:  Customer 2 is not necessarily a non-taxable customer.  That is, SOME
items ARE taxable for Customer 2.

SIMILARLY:  Customer 1 is not necessarily a taxable customer.  that is, SOME
items are NOT taxable for Customer 1.

How can we specify that an item IS taxable for a customer, even though not
_everything_ is taxable for that customer?

WHERE WE GET HUNG UP:  We could set up Item A to be taxable based on
customer.... that would cause Sales Order to go to the customer ship-to
address, and see that there is a tax schedule set up for that ship-to
address, and would charge sales tax.  HOWEVER, we have _other_ items that
are sold to that _same_ customer at the same ship-to address, that are _NOT_
taxable.  (And, by the way, those items ARE taxable for _other_ customers).
How do we set that up?

0
reade123 (29)

Ken,

This gets rather lenghy but I will try to summarize......Using your states
of Colorado and Georgia

Setup tax details for the states of Georgia and Colorado.  Also set up tax
details for any local taxing authorities in those states.

Create a set of tax schedules for customers.  One for your Colorado customer
will include the Colorado State and the local tax details if there are any
this customer is subjected to.  A different Tax Schedule will be created for
Georgia customers with the Georgia State tax details plus any local Georgia
tax details.

Create a set of tax schedules for Items.  If an item is subject to ONLY
Georgia taxes, you will need a schedule listing ONLY Georgia tax details.
Assign this schedule to items only subject to Georgia taxes.

If an item is subject to only Colorado taxes, you will need a Colorado only
schedule and assign it to items only taxed in Colorado

Then, create a tax schedule for items taxable in both states and assign it
to items subject to both states.  Include tax details from both states,
including ALL tax details from both states.

Now, make the items Taxable.  The system will take the schedule from the
customer and the schedule from the item and ONLY calculate taxes for details
contained in BOTH schedules!

All of this and more will be detailed in our soon to be released book on
Sales Order Processing, available in about 8-10 weeks.  See our web site
below.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Ken A" wrote:

> We understand the basics of when sales taxes are computed.  For example, an
> Inventory Item may be marked as Taxable, Non-Taxable, or Based on Customer.
>
> If we choose Based on Customer, then it uses the tax schedule defined for
> the Ship-To address of that customer.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> Item A IS TAXABLE for customer 1 in Colorado, but Item A IS NOT TAXABLE for
> Customer 2 in Georgia.
>
> BUT:  Customer 2 is not necessarily a non-taxable customer.  That is, SOME
> items ARE taxable for Customer 2.
>
> SIMILARLY:  Customer 1 is not necessarily a taxable customer.  that is, SOME
> items are NOT taxable for Customer 1.
>
> How can we specify that an item IS taxable for a customer, even though not
> _everything_ is taxable for that customer?
>
> WHERE WE GET HUNG UP:  We could set up Item A to be taxable based on
> customer.... that would cause Sales Order to go to the customer ship-to
> address, and see that there is a tax schedule set up for that ship-to
> address, and would charge sales tax.  HOWEVER, we have _other_ items that
> are sold to that _same_ customer at the same ship-to address, that are _NOT_
> taxable.  (And, by the way, those items ARE taxable for _other_ customers).
> How do we set that up?

0
info4071 (3004)
11/28/2006 2:38:01 AM
Thanks for that informative reply.... I need to ask for a little
clarification, though.

You say:  "Then, create a tax schedule for items taxable in both states and
assign it
> to items subject to both states.  Include tax details from both states,
> including ALL tax details from both states."

What if we have some items that are taxable in Georgia and Colorado AND
Texas.... I'm assuming that we would need a different schedule for that
combination?  How about if we had items taxable in Georgia and Texas...
another schedule?  And items taxable in Maryland and California?  Another
schedule?  It seems to me that we could have "50 states factorial" number of
schedules.... Granted, all solutions aren't easy, but this would seem to be
unmanageable.

Hopefully, I'm missing something here, but I fear not... looking forward to
hearing from you soon.

"Richard L. Whaley" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in message
> [...]
SOME
> > items ARE taxable for Customer 2.
> >
> > SIMILARLY:  Customer 1 is not necessarily a taxable customer.  that is,
SOME
> > items are NOT taxable for Customer 1.
> >
> > How can we specify that an item IS taxable for a customer, even though
not
> > _everything_ is taxable for that customer?
> >
> > WHERE WE GET HUNG UP:  We could set up Item A to be taxable based on
> > customer.... that would cause Sales Order to go to the customer ship-to
> > address, and see that there is a tax schedule set up for that ship-to
> > address, and would charge sales tax.  HOWEVER, we have _other_ items
that
> > are sold to that _same_ customer at the same ship-to address, that are
_NOT_
> > taxable.  (And, by the way, those items ARE taxable for _other_

0
reade123 (29)
11/28/2006 1:29:30 PM
Yes, you are correct in your assessment but it seldom gets that messy.
Typically there are only a few categories of goods not taxable in one state
or another, groceries, religious materials, et cetera, and the "mess" is not
so big.  For most items, you want a tax schedule that I call Items-ALL that
contains all details.  Then others will be subsets of that schedule.

Also, remember, you are not required to collect and remit sales tax unless
you have a presence (an employee of any type, for example) living in that
state.  (check with the tax people for exact clarification)
--

"Ken A" wrote:

> [...]
> SOME
> > > items ARE taxable for Customer 2.
> > >
> > > SIMILARLY:  Customer 1 is not necessarily a taxable customer.  that is,
> SOME
> > > items are NOT taxable for Customer 1.
> > >
> > > How can we specify that an item IS taxable for a customer, even though
> not
> > > _everything_ is taxable for that customer?
> > >
> > > WHERE WE GET HUNG UP:  We could set up Item A to be taxable based on
> > > customer.... that would cause Sales Order to go to the customer ship-to
> > > address, and see that there is a tax schedule set up for that ship-to
> > > address, and would charge sales tax.  HOWEVER, we have _other_ items
> that
> > > are sold to that _same_ customer at the same ship-to address, that are
> _NOT_
> > > taxable.  (And, by the way, those items ARE taxable for _other_

0
info4071 (3004)
11/29/2006 3:11:00 AM
Mike,

I am not a tax accountant and my experience is limited to the dozen or so
states that I have worked in.  For those, everyone had a reciprical taxing
agreement where a client that was based in an adjoining state but came across
the border to pick up an order was still tax exempt.  If your state is
different, you might need to setup a different customer id for these
purchases.  Use National Accounts to relate the two accounts and roll up the
receivable.

As for Texas, etc, OH YEAH!.  I am working on for a client now that sells in
Texas and they are soon to open in California.  Since they have a presence in
7 states now, we subscribed to the CCH tax tables and their STLU (Sales Tax
Load Utility)  This loaded our tax detail and schedule tables for us with all
the possible combinations.  The sales reps can look up matching schedules by
zip code and narrow down the selection with the customer.  All reporting is
then maintained correctly to report for these states.

CCH comes with monthly updates to handle states changing their rules.

--

"Michelle Brayton" wrote:

> Sales tax is rarely NOT messy.  Additionally, GP falls down when it comes to
> managing pickups and taxability.  How do you fix the problem when you want to
> assign a tax rate for pickups but your customer is exempt via a different
> states exemption certificate and they dont have a location in the pickup site?
>
>  Additionally, states like Texas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, and California
> have excruciating rules for taxable sales or sales requiring strict
> documentation.  (Maine just recently changed their exemption rules as well.
>

> "Richard L. Whaley" wrote:
>
> > Yes, you are correct in your assessment but it seldom gets that messy.
> > Typically there are only a few categories of goods not taxable in one state
> > or another, groceries, religious materials, et cetera, and the "mess" is not
> > so big.  For most items, you want a tax schedule that I call Items-ALL that
> > contains all details.  Then others will be subsets of that schedule.
> >
> > Also, remember, you are not required to collect and remit sales tax unless
> > you have a presence (an employee of any type, for example) living in that
> > state.  (check with the tax people for exact clarification)
> > --
> > Richard L. Whaley
> > Author / Consultant / MVP
> > Documentation for Software Users
> >
> > For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
> > http://www.AccoladePublications.com
> >

> > "Ken A" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for that informative reply.... I need to ask for a little
> > > clarification, though.
> > >
> > > You say:  "Then, create a tax schedule for items taxable in both states and
> > > assign it
> > >
> > > What if we have some items that are taxable in Georgia and Colorado AND
> > > Texas.... I'm assuming that we would need a different schedule for that
> > > combination?  How about if we had items taxable in Georgia and Texas...
> > > another schedule?  And items taxable in Maryland and California?  Another
> > > schedule?  It seems to me that we could have "50 states factorial" number of
> > > schedules.... Granted, all solutions aren't easy, but this would seem to be
> > > unmanageable.
> > >
> > > Hopefully, I'm missing something here, but I fear not... looking forward to
> > > hearing from you soon.
> > >

> > > "Richard L. Whaley" <info@AccoladePublications.com> wrote in message

> > > customer
> > > for
> > > Georgia

> > > only

> > > details

> > > an
> > > Customer.

> > > for

> > > for

> > > SOME

> > > SOME

> > > not

> > > that
> > > _NOT_
> > > customers).

0
info4071 (3004)

Taxable Benefit
Customer has already printed all of their checks for 2008 but now need to record a taxable benefit for 3 employees. They need their wages and tax liablity updated. The employee will be liable for the taxes to be paid with their tax returns. HELP...they need to do this today so i can install year end updates so they can do their first checks for 2009 tomorrow ...

gal showing non mail enabled users
I have just finished doing a migration from e2k to e2k3. I have several users that do not have mailbox's, but show up in the GAL. That's right! example: user jdoe does NOT have a mailbox, but shows up in the GAL. There is not a "hide from address list" option as there is no mailbox to set this on. I have no contacts in AD. There is a recipient policy named "no internet access", and this policy will stamp @local.domain.com to specific users, and this is supposed to keep those users from sending mail to the internet. This is pointless because the us...

problem with Non User Queue ( did not match any records)
background mail enters public folder via email (help@domain.com or Support@domain.com mail gets forwarded via exchange to a user/mailbox called helpdeskservice (helpdeskservice@domain.com) (this needs to be here because other programs use the public folder as well) CRM-Router picks up helpdeskservice@domain.com into queue call helpdeskservice (with email of helpdeskservice@domain.com) via POP3 (this is because the EXCHANGE CRM-Router is broke for winows2008 Exchange 2007 64bit installs) problem here that I get in the logs is when I test from an "outside email" #35241 - The r...

Smartlist and Non-Inventory Sales Items
I have a sales line item smartlist that gives me the sales account # for each line of the invoice. We use this to group our sales and do a weekly scorecard of sales. However, when an item is entered on and invoices that is non-inventory the sales account is not coming through. I have already checked that the correct fields are populated but it's as if smartlist is not reading that. Can you let me know how I might get a report with the account infomation? I would be preferable that it show on this smartlist with the other transactions. We do need line item information as...

Item Price Change Wizard?
Is there a way to set a price for a set of items to the same figure? In other words, I don't want to offset from current price or from cost or from margin...I just want to set one equal price for a whole group of items to say $100. Is there any way to do that quickly? Use the Change Item Price task, select the items you want to change and when you get to the point where you choose 'Offset by Cost' or 'Markup by Cost' and so on, just click next until you get to the Workpad with all your items. From here you can click on any of the fields in the New Price colum and se...

MQMS versus SQMS
I finally got what you were saying about the reason why Lambda approaching Mu results in an infinite queue length. I thought about it some more and suddenly had an epiphany that you were right, it must be the idle time that would be generated by the exponential distribution of arrivals. I also am leaning towards your idea of not turning of drive write buffers, the weight of reasoning seems to support this. Respectfully, Peter Olcott Why don't you move this topic to the Microsoft Win32 kernel forum or the proper Linux forum iff this is for linux development wi...

adding user submitted items to a list
hello all, any help with this would be greatly appreciated... there's a cell were a user is asked to input data, and a command butto marked 'submit'. There is also a list. When the button is clicked for the first time I require the underlyin macro to place the inputted data into the 1st position in the list (n problem so far). However when the button is clicked for the 2nd time require the macro to place that data in the 2nd position... ie eac time the button is pressed the list grows. how do I write the macro to ensure the data is inputted one row dow from the last inputted p...

USB Device versus Interface
I understand that one USB device and declare multiple interfaces. What I would like to do is declare two separate vendor/product codes on a single USB interface. Is this possible? One socket, one electrical connection, look like two devices: vendor A product X and vendor A product Y. Can do? You would need to make a compound device, which would look like this internally: Hub \- Device X \- Device Y If you don't actually need different product codes, you can also make a composite device, which gets multiple drivers loaded such that each driver owns a set of endpoints exc...

volatile v non-volatile
Excel 2003. How can I switch from volatile to non-volatile? I don't want randomly generated numbers to change every time the enter button is pushed or a cell is modified. Thanks all. Hi, You can turn calculation to manual but this of course affects all formula. Aside from that there's not much you can do if your using RAND to get your random numbers. There are ways of getting non volatile random numbers and if you describe what you want, someone will help. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest a...

How do I link to an Item within a Public Folder in MS Outlook 2000SR-1?
Title says it all. -- Regards. Chris. Remove MAPSON to reply to me directly. This post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily accurately represent the views of BT. ...

Item Currency Greyed Out in the Item Maintenance Card
Hi, For some reason, in our GP system, the Item Currency is greyed out. When i go into "Item Price List Maintenance" window, the Currency ID is also greyed out. I have already gave the access of CDN(Canadian dollars) to this company, but still not working. Anyone knows the answer? Thanks, Gavin Gavin, Multicurrency might not be active, go to Tools>> Setup >> System >> Registration and make sure that the Multicurrency checkbox is checked, refer to Mariano post below for more information: http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2009/02/effects-of-disabli...

Charting only non-zero series
I often do pie charts from which I need to delete a number of lables because that particular value is zero, and I don't want the zero series included in the pie. What would be an easy way to get Excel to chart only the values which are not zeros? Travis The way I do it is to have the labels in a column next to the values and to have a filter covering the values. Apply a Custom filter for Does Not Equal 0 (zero) - this hides the zero values and lables and the pie charts automatically adjust. Pete Thanks Pete! ...

notification of CListView item selection
I would like to change a view when an item in a CListView is selected. How can I take action based on a CListView selection? I see a method in the class that will let me see if a particular item is selected, but how do I know when a selection change is made? Thanks, Chris Handle LVN_ITEMCHANGED. ________________ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Chris" <ijkdc@spamhater.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ow8QaM5xEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I would like to change a view when an item in a CListView is selected. How > can I take action based on a CListView...

problem with differences in data and real item number
Hi Did anyone experienced followind problem: History of transfers does not match while comparing to number of items, For instance: We had in database (quantity) 3 items. 3 items were sold (this data is in database - if I remember correctly tabel inventory trasfer log). However in table Item (quantity) there is still 1 item (and should be 0). Have you met simillar problem? Perhaps hot fix could resolve that if it is combined with software. Thank you for help in advance Use the Item - Movement report to find the model history. Remove the date filter, and add model number or ILCode. The rep...

One or more rows contain values violating non-null, unique, or foreign-key constraints
Populating a typed dataset from xml document: I created an xml schema (attached below), generated a typed dataset from it, and then programatically I tried to populate the typed dataset by calling its ReadXml method. I keep getting a constraint exception. I have validated that my xml matches the schema using xmlspy. I've included the schema, xml, code and exception information below. I can't figure out why I would get the exception if my xml validates against the schema, and the dataset was generated from the same schema. Exception--------------------------------------------...

taxable/non taxable dividends
using ms money 2005. I am trying to get a report on my stocks showing the total taxable dividends and the total non taxable divinends in two seperate reports. I have my investment to show taxable and non taxable and i have showen the correct tax form. the only report i can get is a report showing total dividends (this shows all dividends taxable and not taxable togeather). In microsoft.public.money, qazwsx wrote: >using ms money 2005. I am trying to get a report on my stocks showing the >total taxable dividends and the total non taxable divinends in two seperate >reports...

Is there a setup to create a PO for Item kit and have them received as Kit also?
we understand that creating of PO for kit item is not allowed but is there a setup or way to make it possible? thanks in advance for the help. There is no way to purchase an item flagged in Inventory as a kit item because kits are used for selling multiple components as a single item. Are you wanting to somehow create a PO for all the component items in a kit? You're heading towards a manufacturing order solution. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Stephen Lee Gloria" wrote: > we understand that creating of PO for kit item is not allowed but is > there a setup or way to mak...

$4,000 DST patches from Microsoft for non-mainstream support systems
I presume Exchange 2000 would fall into this category. Perhaps someone with Exchange 2000 could post back with what they find out. http://blogs.technet.com/james/archive/2007/01/24/dst-support-update.aspx "To help customers through this change and in response to their feedback, Microsoft has decided to amend the regular Extended Hotfix Support program to add a new pricing category for extended non-security hotfixes with a wide customer demand. The new pricing category will be applied to the daylight saving time hotfixes (DST 2007). � DST 2007 hotfixes for products in Mainstream S...

Disapperaing Data Item
I have just created a pivot table with two column fields, 1 row field and 1 data field. I can select on the column and data field but when i try to select items on the data field, the unselected items disappear when i go into data field to make another selection. The only way to get it back is to add field to the data. Is there a way of fixing the fields in data. yours desparately George see reply to your later posting -- Regards Roger Govier "GeorgeChe" <GeorgeChe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C587867-1CAF-4EEC-8EFF-DED488775685@microsoft.com....

'temp' folder as work area for non-administrator
First apologies, as this is slightly off topic, although I am using MFC. If anyone can suggest a group where I'm more likely to get an answer I would be grateful for that too. I have had a report on our application that it fails under circumstances where is is running in non-administrator mode, and cannot create temporary files in the ..\Program Files\Manufacturer\ProgramName\ folder. I realise that there is a whole area of expertise that I am in the dark about, and I'm looking for a starting point. What I visualise is creating a '\temp\' subfolder and allowing full access to...

Special Characters in Item Description
Specifically, I am interested in condensed fraction characters. For example ½ instead of 1/2. We use these characters because space is limited for many of our various pipe fittings with various sizes etc. Now, the problem is that some fraction characters display in RMS just fine (¼, ½, ¾) while others for some reason do not (⅛, ⅜, ⅓, ⅞). These characters are readily available in the windows character map, and they display correctly in every other program I've tried, but when I try to paste them into an item description in RMS, it displays as a question mark (?)....

How to: Send non-registered user e-mail to trash
Example: @mail.com users are a, b, c Psuedo code: If TO: field does not contain a OR b OR c; send to trash. This would eliminate 95% of my spam. Thank you, Dennis D., http://www.dennisys.com/ Dennis D. <tech@dennisys.com> wrote: > Example: > @mail.com users are a, b, c > > Psuedo code: If TO: field does not contain a OR b OR c; send to trash. > > This would eliminate 95% of my spam. Create a rule that deletes messages with "mail.com" in the sender address, except if sender address contains "a", "b", or "c", or create a r...

taxable wages
When processing bonus checks I do not withhold the Federal and State taxes but they are still subject to taxable wages. I think there should be an option to replace the withholding $ amount to 0 for the taxes that I don't want to withhold on the check but still show up on the employee's taxable wages. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion ...

Non-technical specialist with perplexing outlook address book problem
I am writing in hopes that someone out there can help me out -- I am using Outlook 2002 with XP. I am not a specialist or "techie," only a guy who wants his outlook contacts to display properly. Here's the problem as best I can describe it: *When I type in the first letters of a contact's name, outlook faithfully autocompletes the entry no problem. Cheers to Microsoft. *I can then assume that these entries, which are "autocompleted," are stored somewhere deep in the recesses of my computer. *However, when I go to both the "outlook address book" and "...

Taxable, Tax Exempt, Non-Taxable Report
Our shop's accountant wants us to give him a monthly report showing each day's total sales, taxable sales, non-taxable sales and tax exempt sales. Does anyone know how I can generate it? The Sales Tax Analysis report will give totals one day at a time or summary totals for the entire month. ...